nineteen

Goddess Mistaken
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

nineteen

An emergency War Council is called for by Zeus, gathering every single deity there is together in the main hall up on Mount Olympus. Nothing is said as everyone slowly trickles inside, thick tension hanging in the air as they all wonder about what will happen; they have all heard the news of Cronus’ escape and have begun to fear for their future.

A clap of thunder gathers their attention as Zeus looks down at them from up high on his throne. “As you all well know, we have a crisis on our hands with Cronus free. Not only are we in danger, but the mortals too. Especially the mortals. No longer are we as worshipped as before, many having forgotten us or deemed us as simply just gods of an ancient culture, but still we must protect them as silent entities. I have set out ground rules and listed the roles you all must play as we once again go to war,” he gestures to Baekhyun, who quickly flits about, handing out scrolls of paper to every individual.

Zeus stands, “I regret to say that our war preparations are not yet in order and behind schedule, so I need you all to do everything you can to assist to the best of your ability.” The hall begins to buzz with whispers of fear, “Go my people, we have a war to win!” He shouts, trying to raise morale, but he could see clearly that no one wanted this or even seem willing to help, reluctance in their every move as they stare up at him.

He dismisses the war council and steps down from his seat, weariness settling on his shoulders. Athena comes up to him, giving him a sympathetic pat on the back, “Worry not, father. The people may be fearful, but they will do their jobs and we will fight back against Cronus. There are more of us now; for that, I know we will be powerful enough against the Titans.” Her words weigh heavy with meaning, and Zeus looks no more cheerful than before.

“But enough is not enough. We need more than enough,” he sighs, rubbing at his temples. Zeus looks up at the sky. Even all the way up here, the clouds are black and heavy, thunder rumbling and lightning flashing. It wasn't even reacting like this from his own mood.

“I need to see Kai,” he mutters, and in an instant, he changes his appearance to that of a young man, “I need to find her as well and tell them about the prophecy, maybe they'll know what to do.”

***

The Underworld is frightfully calm, just like it is before a storm, nothing seemingly out of place nor a peep from a single soul. The quietness hangs in the air like a heavy fog, obscuring what may lie just hidden out of sight.

Yet, Kai's eyes are full with a silent rage as he calmly puts the Underworld back in order with an iron fist, handing out orders in rapid fire. With his full recovery in a matter of hours, he is up and about, putting the Underworld into lockdown as he casts a brand-new barrier on Tartarus, locking those within that did not escape in time with Cronus. Kai makes sure that this time, no matter who it is, without the proper procedures, no one can get in or out without bypassing him first.

I watch Kai from his side as he goes about his duties, tightening the security of this realm even further, nothing left out from under his scrutiny. For a while, I was afraid he'd collapse from his wound, but clearly, he is doing even better than before.

We'd somehow ended up asleep in his bed last night, waking up to each other's comforting warmth. Although, as soon as we had eaten breakfast, Kai returned to his work-mode, focusing entirely on strengthening the Underworld’s security with skeletal soldiers and supernatural beasts with names I can't pronounce.

When he finally seems to be taking a break from everything, I bring him tea and biscuits as we sit outside in the courtyard. I decide to bring up the topic of my tattoo. “Kai?” He hums in response, watching me pour out the tea for us.

“The tattoo on my wrist is gone, now that Cronus is free,” I say outright, “What do you think he's doing now?”

Kai takes my wrist that the tattoo had been on once I finished with pouring tea, and examines the skin there, rubbing his thumb over the soft skin. “I suppose we know now that it really was related to Cronus’ return,” he murmurs, “and that there really wasn't much we could have done to prevent it.”

“I suppose so,” I sigh in return. I face him and in all seriousness, ask, “Then, will you tell me how Cronus hurt you that badly? I want to kick his the next time I see him!” I say, making a fist and punching the air. Kai chuckles at my remark and shakes his head.

“I was just caught off guard. It's been awhile since I last fought that hard, a couple thousand years I say. I don't really get myself involved in wars or fighting much.” He stretches out his legs, folding his hands in his lap.

“Yet you have a six-pack,” I deadpan. Once again, Kai laughs. Man, I could listen to his laugh for the rest of my life and more.

“I may not fight, but I still train and exercise to keep fit. Managing a whole place like this takes a lot of stamina,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter