nine

Goddess Mistaken
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

nine

A voice calls out to me in the dark, like a soft lullaby that brings calm and serenity as you listen to it. Yet I don't know what the voice is saying. Suddenly, I jolt awake as something slithers over my legs. Although I'm sure I am awake now, I can't see a single thing in this darkness. I feel around me as I slowly sit up, only to feel the cold hard ground. “Hello?” I call out, then realise maybe I shouldn't have as my voice echoes back to me. Who knows what lurks in here? Probably whatever that had woken me up.

Lights begin to flicker to life around me. I blink, eyes adjusting to the sudden brightness, and hold a hand up to shield my eyes until I can look around comfortably. The walls shine and reflect the flames, almost like mirrors. I stand and touch the nearest wall; it feels cool and polished under my fingertips, I can only imagine that it is made of some kind of metal. Maybe the colour of the walls is affected by the lighting but the metal walls looked a lot like they are made of bronze.

I sit and try to remember what had happened before I ended up here. All I can remember is that the Furies had taken me then knocked me out a little too well. I rub the sore spot on my neck, hoping I don't get a bruise. Wherever I am, it sure feels lonely. There's not a single distinguishing feature in this place, except the flames, which I now see are actually floating in mid-air. I heave a sigh. I need a way out.

“Oh darling, no one is coming to rescue you,” a deep rumbling voice says out of the blue. My head snaps up to find the source. A man steps from the shadows, a long black cloak trailing behind him, a hand on his chin his beard. I really wonder about this because the place is so well-lit that there aren't any shadows to step out of. As I puzzle over this, the man is now standing close enough to loom over me. “My, aren't you a lovely little thing?” He comments. The sarcastic tone of his voice said otherwise.

I glare up at him; no one can just call me a ‘thing’. “Who are you?” I ask, looking him up and down, “And how the heck did you appear like that?”

He laughs, seemingly amused by my questions. He squats down to my eye-level, meeting my gaze with a tilt of his head. He certainly reminds me of Kai like this. “Why don't you take a guess? Then again, I don't think you even know where you are.”

The man stands, and with a flourish, throwing his arms wide, he says, “Welcome to Tartarus, prison of the damned!” The laugh he lets out sends a shiver down my spine.

Tartarus. I've read about it, knowing only that it's where the Titans that fought against Zeus are imprisoned, in particular, the Olympians’ and Hades’ own father. I look at the imposing man standing there still laughing. It couldn't be… but who else, if not the Titan-King himself who has come to greet me like this? I think as I cringe from his manic laughter.

“So, you're Cronus? I thought you'd be more frightening,” I say blithely, straightening out my dress as I stand to face him properly. “You look more like somebody's rich uncle with expensive taste, oh, and capes are so out of date.” I'm mentally preparing myself as I use my words as a defence; I'm really just quaking on the inside at the idea of even being in the same room as this ancient deity. “And did you really say that nobody is coming for me? I'm sure Kai already knows.”

Cronus lets out a scoff and crosses his arms. “Sweetheart, it's a mantle, not a cape. More specifically, it is called a chlamys.” Hearing him speak about fashion is a little strange and kind of funny; I keep my best straight face on as I giggle on the inside.

His wiggles a finger and a pair of chairs seemingly appear from the shadows. Again, with the shadows! Where are they coming from? He takes a seat and points his chin at the other, indicating for me to sit down as well. Cautiously, I sit down but only on the edge, prepared to leap away at a moment’s notice if anything strange happens.

“Kai? Is that the name he uses now? How perfectly bland,” Cronus says. “As you were saying, I know my son knows, but what he doesn't know is where you are. He knows you've disappeared, but that's it.” He laughs mockingly as he looks down his nose at me.

I grind my teeth at this god. Somehow, I feel like he's acting more like a petulant child than the mature adult he should probably be; although, from the stories I've read in Kai's extensive library, this is normal behaviour among them. Acting a bit too much like spoilt children throwing tantrums, though I won't say that aloud. I bet one of them will zap me with a lightning bolt if I so much as utter a word against them. Gods can be scary like that.

While I remain silent, Cronus just sits there, his eyes boring holes into me. I can see some of the resemblance Kai has to this man – the same pitch-black, obsidian eyes, although Cronus has a far colder look in his. I fidget in my seat under his blatant staring, and unable to stand it any longer I open my mouth to say something, only to have my stomach grumble loudly.

A little more than mortified, I freeze, hoping my stomach will stay silent. Alas, my wish is not granted when my stomach growls again. “You don'

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter