Young Love

Parenting with Kangteuk

    “Kyu’s parents said it’s fine that we’re running late,” reports Sungmin.

    “What time do I have to pick you up again?” asks Kangin, running over the checklist of things he had to do today.

    “8PM at the latest,” Sungmin says, fixing his hair with the help of his phone.

    “He’s preening for his boyfriend,” snickers Heechul. He whispers, “Use protection.” Sungmin turns a bright red and glares at Heechul.

    “I’ll out you if you say another word,” Sungmin whispers back venomously to his older brother who moved to the back to sit with his boyfriend.

    “You wouldn’t dare,” Heechul glares, Hangeng brings him back with a gentle tug and a pleading glance.

    “Kids stop arguing,” Kangin says from the front as he tries to endure the children tunes that help Donghae to sleep. “We’re here Sungmin,” Kangin pulls up to Kyuhyun’s house.

    “Remember to call me or Papa if you need to get picked up earlier. We don’t want to bother Kyuhyun’s mother with driving you around. Tell her hello for me and apologize that I couldn’t get out and greet her because I have to pick up Eunhyuk. I love you Sungmin.”

    “I love you too Appa, I won’t forget,” Sungmin grabs everything he needs from the trunk and waves goodbye. Kangin makes sure his son enters the Cho’s house before he jets off to the next house.

    “Heechul make sure the other car seat is in there properly,” Kangin tells his son. Heechul makes sure to check and make faces at little Donghae as he does so.

Donghae giggles and grabs Heechul’s arm, “Pretty Hee Hee,” says Donghae with a smile. Heechul coos at his little brother’s words.

“He is very pretty,” agrees Hangeng and puts a hand over his mouth realizing that he said that in the car with Heechul’s father. His very kind, but over protective father.

“Hannie,” whines Heechul.

“So do you have something to tell me Heechul?” asks Kangin with a raised eyebrow, unable to pretend he didn’t hear the Chinese teen’s compliment.

“HangengandIareathingnow,” Heechul says in a rush.

Not even batting an eyelash, having mastered embarrassed teen speak, “How long?”

“Three months sir,” responds Hangeng.

“Oh, I thought you two were together for longer,” is all that Kangin says.

“Are you okay with it Appa?” asks Heechul.

“Of course Princess,” Kangin says. “Hangeng, I’m warning you young man, if you break my Princess’s heart you’ll have hell to pay from both of his parents,” warns Kangin.

“Not a problem sir, I would never intentionally do anything to harm Heechul,” Hangeng says.

“Appa,” Heechul complains at his father’s cheesiness.

    “Good and Heechul, that goes for you too. A relationship requires two people to work on it,” Kangin reminds his son. Heechul rolls his eyes, but shares an understanding look with Hangeng. Kangin grins through the rear view mirror.

    “We’re here, unbuckle Donghae please Heechul.”

    “Hae we’re at anchovy’s house,” says Heechul. He gently pats his younger brother whose eyes meet Heechul’s questioningly.

    “We’re at Hyuk’s house baby,” Kangin opens the door and unbuckles Donghae. Kangin makes sure Donghae gets out of the car safely and walks him to Eunhyuk’s front door. He is greeted by Eunhyuk and his mother.

    “Thank you for taking Eunhyuk with you today, I know it’s hard with so many children,” Eunhyuk’s mother says.

    “It’s not a problem, besides my older boys will be there to keep an eye out,” Kangin reassures Eunhyuk’s mother.

    “Ah, your Siwon is such a good boy,” comments Eunhyuk’s mother on Kangin’s oldest son.

    “Yes, Leeteuk and I are so proud of him,” Kangin beams. Donghae grips his father’s leg tighter.

    “Appa said Wonnie is good boy,” comments Donghae very seriously, mimicking his father’s mannerisms. The two parents laugh at Donghae’s actions. Eunhyuk looks up curiously at the adults before turning his attention to Donghae.

    “Am I good boy Hae?” asks Eunhyuk.

    “You are a very good boy Hyukkie, my favorite boy,” grins Donghae, letting go of his father’s leg and running to give Eunhyuk a hug. He grabs Eunhyuk’s hand and a smile blooms on both of their faces.

    “Let’s go my two good boys,” says Kangin, holding his hand out. Donghae grabs his hand and Kangin waves Eunhyuk’s mother goodbye.

    “Look who it is, the anchovy,” comments Heechul as the two young boys get into their car seats. Hangeng helps to buckle in Eunhyuk as Heechul buckles in Donghae.

    “Hi Heechul hyung,” greets Eunhyuk with a gummy smile.

    “That fish is going to steal away my baby brother, I can sense it,” Heechul whispers furiously to Hangeng as he watches the two of them play with Nemo toys.

    “Did I steal his older brother away?” asks Hangeng, slightly worried.

    “Don’t worry Geng, Donghae has many more overprotective brothers to watch out for him. And if anything, you’ll be able to keep an eye out for me.”

    “Heechul stop scheming and call Teuk to tell him we’re on our way.”
    “Whatever you say,” Heechul says as he dials his phone.