Police Encounter

Parenting with Kangteuk

Kangin loved his kids, he swore he did. He loved Sungmin and his sometimes overly adorable attitude, he loved how sweet Donghae was, and he loved his sassy Heechul. He however could not deal with three bouncing children, on the way to pick up their friends singing the most obnoxious TV theme song in the highest pitch.

 

“Appa?” Asks Heechul, his awful screeching suddenly stopping.

 

“Yes Chul?” Kangin keeps his eyes on the road, not wanting to get into an accident.

 

“Appa are we almost there Geng wants to know his 妈妈 (Mother) and 爸爸 (Father) are asking.” Kangin was almost 99.99% sure that Heechul and Hangeng were not just “friends,” but Kangin would rather wait then force his son to come out to him.

 

“APPA MIN STOLE MY FISHY TOY,” screams Donghae.

 

“Sungmin please return Donghae’s toy, and Donghae how do you ask nicely?” There is a sudden sound of sniffling and Kangin barely has enough time to turn his head to see what's going on before making a sharp left turn. Kangin bites back a curse and finds a space to pull to the side. He sees both of his youngest children near tears.

 

“Now now what's wrong?” Kangin asks. Heechul manages to spare a glance from frantically texting Hangeng to look at his younger brothers.

 

“Sungminnie took my toy and said that,” more tears start to pour out of Donghae’s eyes, “Hyukkie hates meeee-” Donghae’s wailing reaches a fever pitch and Kangin manages to grab the six year old out of his carseat and place him in his lap.

 

“Sungmin?” Asks Kangin patiently.

 

“He said Kyuhyun and I didn't know anything about being in love,” Sungmin explains. Kangin sighs and motions for the 13 year old to come closer.

 

“I understand that it's hard with Donghae being so young but I need you to be a good hyung. He truly doesn't know any better.” Kangin looks down at the six year old who is desperately self soothing by squeezing Kangin’s shirt extra tight. “If it makes you feel better I'll talk to him about it.”

 

“Appa there is a policeman at the door,” Heechul comments. There is a knock on his window and Kangin can only sigh.

 

“Heechul text Hangeng and tell his 爸爸 (Father) and 妈妈 (Mother) we’ll be late. Grab my phone and text Eunhyuk and Kyuhyun’s parents for me.” Kangin bring his six year old son closer and gently his back, allowing the six year old to calm down when he feel’s his father’s soothing hands. Kangin rolls down the window and comes face to face with two young men. There's one who's abnormally tall and the other has a baby face.

 

“Sir, is there a reason you're pulled over on the side of the road,” asks the tall one.

 

“Sorry my two children had a bit of an emotional breakdown. I had to pull aside to soothe them before we got into an accident.” He motions to Donghae, face tear stained and shaking, he's Kangin’s shirt.

 

“We’re going to have to ask you to move, so sorry sir,” the baby faced man apologizes, he has a foreign tinge to his voice. Donghae starts to wail, his whole body expressing how upset he is. Kangin motions to the police officer that he is going to open the door. He gets out of the car with Donghae and bounces him up and down. Donghae eventually calms down and falls asleep. Kangin smiles apologetically at the police officer and opens the back door. He buckles Donghae into his carseat and instructs Sungmin to watch his brother.

 

    “Sorry sir we’ll be on our way,” Kangin bows and gets into the car.

 

    “Wait one moment sir, this is totally out of code but are you by chance the Kangin who is married to Leeteuk?” The tall man’s eyes seem to widen earnestly. Kangin debates whether or not to tell this man the truth. Heechul’s head has turned away from his phone, curious to find out how his father will answer.

 

    “Um,” Kangin pauses, “yes?”

 

    “I’m a huge fan is it possible to get an autograph?” The tall man asks.

 

    “Mimi don’t be so weird,” the shorter man says.

 

    “Henli you want one too, don’t lie,” Zhoumi shoots back.

 

    “Heechul can you pull those pictures out from the compartment?” Heechul obeys and pulls out photocards of his Papa and Appa.

 

    “Here we go” Kangin manages to find a pen and writes something, he hands it the officers and smiles. “I’m so sorry for this.”

 

    “Not a problem sir, hope you and your children have a nice day,” Henry waves goodbye as Kangin pulls out. Kangin sighs in relief, he was lucky the two police officers were nice.

 

    “I didn’t know that you and Papa were still popular,” Heechul comments.

 

    “How else do you expect to eat Chul? We have to be popular to make money,” Kangin finally makes his way to Hangeng’s house.

 

    “Both you and Papa look so old,” Heechul comments, fixing his hair in the mirror.

 

    “Aish, so ungrateful sometimes,” teases Kangin. Kangin’s phone starts to ring at the mention of his husband. Kangin presses answer on the car monitor and his husband’s voice fills the car.

 

    “Yeobo!” Greets Leeteuk. “I got stuck in traffic, I’m going to be running a little bit late. Ryeowook had a little breakdown, he calmed down when Yesung entered the car though.” A happy babble escapes what sounds like Ryeowook’s mouth. “He’s happy to hear your voice.”
 

    “Papa guess what? Someone actually recognized Appa,” Heechul comments.

 

    “Wow, I didn’t think people would actually recognize your Appa.” Leeteuk

 

    “He’s so crusty looking,” comments Heechul.

 

    “Don’t say that Heechul,” says Siwon through the phone.

 

    “Shut up horse, no one cares about your opinion,” Heechul snaps.

 

    “Heechul be nice to your brother,” scolds Leeteuk.

 

    “Yes, Papa,” Heechul responds.

    

    “I’ll call you when I finish picking up everyone,” Leeteuk says.

 

    “Okay, I’ll see you soon Jungsoo-ah,” Kangin pulls into Hangeng’s driveway as he ends the call. The Chinese teen is waiting outside with his mother.

 

    “您好韩庚的妈妈!” (Hello Han Geng's mom) Heechul says with a smile, practicing what Hangeng had taught him.

 

    “Oh your son is so smart Mr. Kim,” Hangeng’s mother smiles.

 

    “Thank you, your son has done so much for mine,” Kangin smiles. The two teenagers make their way to the van to put Hangeng’s stuff away.

 

    “I love your husband’s new album by the way,” Hangeng’s mother comments.

 

    “Thank you so much,” Kangin scratches his neck.

 

    “Call me if you ever need help with any of your children. Heechul can sleepover if you ever need,” Hangeng’s mother winks.

 

    “Oh you know-” Kangin closes his mouth as Heechul and Hangeng make their way towards them.

 

    “Eunhyuk’s mother called, she’s on her way to the theme park,” Heechul comments.

 

    “再见妈妈,” (Goodbye Mom) Hangeng kisses his mother goodbye. Kangin and Heechul wave goodbye and the three make their way to the car.