Epilogue: Paradise

Ours

A/N: What's this? Two updates? I was struck with inspiration, that's why! So here it is! The long-awaited ending of "Ours." 

Thank you for sticking by me for so long in my first WooGyu fic, chingus! Enjoy!

 


Sunggyu turned the camera on and it started recording. He zoomed in on his husband’s handsome face sitting in front of him, before pointing the camera at their excited and giddy daughter next to him. She noticed him recording her and smiled and waved.

“Daddy! Do I look pretty?” she asked, standing up and twirling in the lemon yellow dress that Sungjong recently made for her.

He chuckled. “Very pretty, like a princess!”

She frowned. “But I am a princess, Daddy!” she emphasized.

Beside her, Woohyun laughed before looking at Sunggyu. “She’s right you know. And I’m the King!”

The older frowned. “Then what does that make me?”

Woohyun winked. “My beautiful Queen, of course!”

“Yah! Nam Woohyun!”

Before he could say any more to reprimand his bold husband, the door opened and two women entered. One of them held a toddler in her arms.

Soojin, the head of the orphanage, smiled at them. “Hello, Sunggyu-shii, Woohyun-shii,” she greeted.

Minji waved her hand at her.

“And little Minji, of course,” she added, patting the little girl on the head. “How can I forget? You’ve grown so much! Do you remember how tiny she was when we had her here, Jieun?”

The other woman giggled. “Yes! She loved to sleep so much! We rarely had a problem with her. While this little one here would barely sleep!”

Minji looked up at the baby in Jieun’s arms and the baby stared back at her, curiously.

Meanwhile, Soojin headed to her desk while Woohyun stood up and approached Jieun, cautiously, allowing the baby to size him up.

The baby was pretty. Compared to Minji’s huge owl-like eyes, this baby had smaller ones, more cat-like. His tuft of hair was dark and curly. And he was chubby with the squishiest cheeks Sunggyu had ever seen. In fact, the baby himself looked really squishy.

From the corner of his eye, he saw Minji’s fingers twitch and knew that she too noticed how squishy her new little brother was. He zoomed in on the three, fighting a grin and the urge to tease them when Soojin began to read out loud from the baby’s file.

“This is Cha Jaehwan, 14 months old, left here by his mother at 3 months. He’s the youngest baby we currently have.” Soojin looked up. “I suppose I don’t have to warn you about adopting a toddler. You did raise Minji from infancy and you did a wonderful job.”

Sunggyu turned to his husband to see that Woohyun had already taken the baby in his arms, lightly bouncing and cooing at him. Beside him, Minji was standing on her tip toes, wanting to see her baby brother closer. Woohyun settled on his chair again and Minji scrambled up on the chair next to him.

“He’s so cute!” she squealed, making baby Jaehwan smile. She poked his cheek. He giggled. “And he’s squishy!” Then, to their surprise, she looked straight at Soojin with a serious look. “We’re not changing our minds about him! He’s meant to be ours! Right, Appa? Daddy?”

Her words sounded strangely familiar to Sunggyu, but Woohyun was already smiling and nodding. “Of course he is, baby! Just like you!”

“I’m not the baby anymore! He’s the new baby! I’m a big girl!”

The adults in the room simultaneously laughed in amusement. The power of his daughter’s cuteness was too much, Sunggyu thought, but that was why they loved her so much.

Minji looked back at Soojin. “Can we take him home now?”

Soojin shook her head. “Not yet, Minji-ah. There are still a few things we need to settle, but in just a few weeks, you can take him home.”

The little girl visibly pouted at the thought of coming home without her baby brother that day. Sunggyu’s heart swelled.

“Can we play with him?” she asked Soojin again.

The woman nodded. “Yes, I just need one of your daddies here-.”

Minji was already scrambling down the chair and pulling at Woohyun’s pants. “Come on, Appa! Let’s play with Jaehwannie!”

Sunggyu groaned again, recalling that he had to do the paperwork for Minji last time too. Why did Woohyun always got to play with the baby?

Before they exited the door, Minji walked up to Sunggyu. “Finish fast, okay, Daddy? You have to record us playing with Jaehwannie!”

Her smile melted away Sunggyu’s displeasure with the paperwork and nodded. “I will,” he promised. “I’ll follow right after.”


When Sunggyu was done, he immediately sought out his husband and kids.

He smiled at that. Our kids, he thought, feeling the familiar flutter of joy in his chest.

Finally, he reached the play room and found his family gathered on the mat, surrounded by toys. Wanting to capture the moment, Sunngyu took out his camera and pressed ‘record’ and continued to watch them playing.

In front of the kids was a toy piano. When pressed, each key made a different sound, and the music amused little Jaehwan to no end. Minji pressed all the keys, telling Jaehwan that she was writing a song for him, just like their Daddy. Woohyun was clapping along, a stuffed bunny in his lap.

When Minji noticed him, she waved. “Daddy!” she called out, scrambling to her feet and running over to him. She waved at the camera.

“Jaehwannie!” she said into the camera. “We love you lots, okay? And we’re really happy you’re coming home with us!”

As Minji continued to talk to the camera, Sunggyu raised his head to see Woohyun, who was now pressing the keys of the toy piano. He caught Sunggyu’s eye and the elder motioned with his chin to Minji with a questioning look. Woohyun only shrugged and went back to playing with Jaehwan, whose sudden interest was on the bunny on Woohyun’s lap.

Minji ended her little message to Jaehwan with a flying kiss before grabbing Sunggyu’s hand and dragging him over to where they were playing.

The song writer placed the camera on the mat and picked up a toy guitar, strumming at it and making Jaehwan laugh as he tried to grab the guitar from him. Meanwhile, Minji had moved to some wooden blocks and started piling them on top of one another. Noticing, Jaehwan also grabbed a block and began building his own tower. Woohyun began playing with toy piano again.

And as he watched his family, Sunggyu couldn’t help the warmth from his chest that spread all over his body.

This, he thought, was paradise.


 

Was that cute? I'm glad it ended cute. Thank you again for reading!

Also, I'm alreay working on a Christmas special. It will be separate from this but same WooGyu family, so definitely keep an eye out!