Reconciliation

Ours

A/N: Sorry for making everyone wait!

 


Woohyun sighed deeply as Sunggyu placed a steaming mug of tea in front of him. He slowly picked it up and took a sip, tasting the delicious chamomile with a hint of honey and it immediately calmed his stormy mind… but not his aching heart.

Beside him, Sunggyu was also seated with his own mug, but barely drinking the tea.

The two men sat in silence for a few minutes. Woohyun had managed to stop crying ten minutes prior, only to silently stare blankly in space. His worried husband had gently dragged him into the kitchen and made him tea. It was Mrs. Nam's solution for a heavy heart and Sunggyu knew it well.

Meanwhile, their 8-year old daughter was still upstairs, probably locked in her room, sobbing her little heart out, and believing that they don’t really love her.

At the thought, tears started prickling at the side of Woohyun’s eyes, yet he angrily wiped them away. He was a man, damnit! Why was he so sensitive?!

On any other day, Sunggyu would about it. But, this wasn’t any other day.

“Hyun?” the older started, carefully. “How are you feeling?”

“Terrible,” he answered, with no hesitation.

Sunggyu pursed his lips before taking one of Woohyun’s hands in his. He placed a tender kiss against his fingers and Woohyun felt nothing but warmth spread throughout his body. With just one gesture, his husband knew what he needed.

Even while they were still best friends back in high school, Sunggyu was that one person who always knew what to do when Woohyun was in one of his moods. He had always been sensitive and prone to mood swings, and after all these years, Sunggyu was a pro when it came to dealing with him.

However, that still didn’t solve the current problem. And Woohyun had been thinking very hard about a possible solution…

He slowly removed his hand from Sunggyu’s grip in order to gently caress his husband’s cheek. Sunggyu flashed him a small smile and Woohyun responded with one of his own.

Picking up his mug, he took another sip of the tea, contemplating.

“We just need to give Minji time,” Sunggyu said. “I’ll talk to her teacher when I drop her off tomorrow, okay? Everything will be okay, Woohyun.”

At that, the younger placed his mug back down on the table, fingers lightly tapping the sides as he continued to think.

“Woohyun?”

He hummed and let out a sigh. “Do you think… we should hold off on the baby for now?”

Sunggyu blinked. “Wait… why?”

“It’s just… after what happened today… it had me thinking…”

Woohyun paused to sigh deeply again. This was making his heart hurt a thousand times over.

“I’m sure we don’t have to resort to that, Hyun. Everything will be okay, I promise.”

“But, what if it won’t?”

“It will, Hyun. I promise.”

Sunggyu’s voice had a hint of a plea and desperation in it. It broke Woohyun’s heart. He knew that Sunggyu had been looking forward to this new baby. He loved their princess, but he also wanted a son. Even Woohyun loved the thought of playing sports with a little boy.

And they had been looking forward to taking Minji to meet that sweet little boy soon… But, maybe it wasn’t meant to be.

“Maybe… we went too fast.” His voice cracked at that as he tried to hold back tears so he stared at his mug. “Minji’s not ready.”

A few seconds of silence until Sunggyu whispered, “Are… are you sure?”

He nodded, feeling cold all over again despite the warmth of the mug at his fingertips. “Why else would she react like that? She thinks we don’t love her!”

He swallowed the lump in his throat. “I don’t think we should get the new baby right now, Gyu.”

At that, Sunggyu let out a defeated sigh. In a way, he knew that Woohyun was right.

“Alright… If that's how you feel. And, we can't force Minji anyway. I’ll… I’ll call the agency and let them know-.”

“NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!”

Before Woohyun could comprehend what was happening, he saw a blur of dark hair before taking in the little girl who ran into the kitchen and buried her face in his lap.

“Nononono!” she continued to chant in a muffled voice, desperately.

Woohyun’s motherly instincts took over. He placed his hands on his daughter’s back, rubbing soothingly. “Baby, what’s wrong?” he asked in a panic.

“Don’t do it!” Minji wailed.

Woohyun’s heart sank. She really didn’t want a brother…

“Don’t leave my brother at the orphanage!”

He froze as his daughter continued to talk about how she would be a good big sister and what she would do for her brother when they brought him home.

He lifted his head to look at his husband, who sported an equally confused face.

Wait… so, did this mean that Minji was okay with a brother?

“Appa! I’m sorry!”

Woohyun looked back down at the little girl who now had lifted her face to meet his, her adorable cheeks stained with tears and a pout on her tiny quivering lips.

“I’m sorry I was bad! I’m sorry I made you cry! I love you, Appa!”

Minji then leaned forward to wrap her tiny arms around his neck, hugging him tightly. At that one little gesture, Woohyun’s own tears flowed out as he wrapped his little princess in his arms.

“Oh, baby, it’s okay,” he said to her, tenderly. “I know you didn’t mean to. It’s okay. Shhh… Appa’s here. Appa and Daddy love you so much.”

Sunggyu had now come over to kneel beside Minji to rub her back. His eyes met with his younger husband’s, a faint smile gracing his lips.

Gently, Woohyun pulled her away from his hold to wipe the tears away. The little girl sniffled and hiccupped before wiping her nose with the back of her hand.

“Feeling better?” Sunggyu asked from behind her.

She cutely nodded before turning to him and hugging him as well. “I’m sorry, Daddy. I’m still your baby, right?”

Sunggyu chuckled and returned her hug. “You always have been and always will be, Minji-ah.” He pulled away. “Now, we know you’re not ready for a brother-.”

“But, I am!” Minji insisted, a determined look on her face. “I really am! I want a brother!”

“Minji,” Woohyun gently took her by the shoulders to turn her towards him. “You don’t have to say that just to make me and your Daddy happy. We’re already happy with our princess, okay?”

“But I really do want a brother! And I know that you’ll love him like you love me, even if you’re not our real daddies. But, you’re the best daddies in the world and I know my brother will think so too!”

Woohyun’s heart warmed at the words, but he was still worried that Minji was only saying these because she caught him crying. Like his husband, she was weak when it came to Woohyun’s tears. If she wasn’t ready for a sibling, then he and Sunggyu would never force it on her, no matter their own wants.

“Minji-,” he started but was interrupted again by the little girl.

“I didn’t mean what I said, Appa! I promise! I want a brother! Please! I don’t care what Jinyoung said anymore! I want my brother!”

Woohyun lifted an eyebrow. “Jinyoung?” he asked, looking over to Sunggyu, who in turn, sighed.

“Apparently, one of her classmates told her that parents have a new baby because they’re tired of the old one.” He looked at their daughter with a fond smile. “But, we’re not Jinyoung’s parents. We would never stop loving our princess.”

With that, he poked her side, teasingly. She was ticklish there.

Minji jumped and glared at him. “Daddy! Stop!”

Sunggyu laughed. “So cute,” he commented, pinching her cheek.

But, Woohyun continued to look concerned and anxious. “Minji-ah… We don’t want to force you. Just say the word. If you don’t want a brother, just say the word.”

Minji puffed her cheeks, obviously unsatisfied with his answer. She was like Woohyun that way when he was displeased.

“I already told you, Appa! I want a baby brother!”

At his daughter’s determined face, those stubborn cute eyes, it pulled at Woohyun’s heartstrings. In a way, he knew that his daughter was serious. But, what about tomorrow? Or the day before that? Who was to say that next week, she wouldn’t change her mind again? Or, after they brought the baby home, she realized that she didn’t want to be a big sister anymore?

His ever perceptive daughter must have noticed his look as she took his face in between her hands and squished them. She loved doing that to them.

“I promise to be good,” she said in a soft voice that melted Woohyun's worries. “I promise not to believe the bad things Jinyoung says. And I promise to be a good big sister. Please, Appa.”

Woohyun caught Sunggyu’s gaze, who nodded at him with a smile. He turned back to the little girl and gently removed her little hands from his face and kissed them.

“Always remember that we love you, okay, Minji-ah?” he told her. “No matter what anyone says, you are our baby and we love you so much.”

The little girl nodded. “So, I can have my brother, right?”

Woohyun laughed and ruffled her hair before standing up. “I’m going to get dinner ready. Do your homework, okay? Daddy will help you.”

He grabbed the mugs from the table to put them in the sink.

“I can have my brother, right, Appa?” Minji asked again from behind him.

Woohyun chuckled without turning around as he opened the fridge to gather ingredients for their dinner. In a playful tone, he said, “We’ll see, Minji-ah.”

“But, Appa-.”

“Minji-ah, let’s leave Appa to prepare dinner, okay? Go on up and start on your homework. I’ll come by to help you later.”

Woohyun thanked the stars for his husband.

There was a huff from the little girl, but within seconds, the chef felt tiny arms around him. “Love you, Appa,” his daughter mumbled.

He chuckled and ruffled her hair. “Love you too, princess. Now, homework, go.”

Minji turned and left the kitchen, bouncing.

As Woohyun prepared the ingredients on the kitchen counter, he felt new arms around his waist, the arms that he knew so well. He leaned back against the firm chest, reveling in the warmth and the sweet scent of his husband. 

Sunggyu tucked his head on his shoulder. “So… we’re getting a new baby?”

The younger turned around and flashed his husband a wide smile. “We’re getting a new baby,” he agreed before leaning in to press his lips to the other’s.

Sunggyu sighed into the kiss as his arms tightened around Woohyun. “Love you,” he whispered against the younger’s lips, sending electric currents throughout Woohyun’s body.

Even after 10 years of marriage, he could still make Woohyun feel like a teenager in love for the first time. 

“Love you too,” he replied, grinning.

Yes, this day may have started ordinary and almost ended in heartbreak. But, Woohyun was glad he had Sunggyu with him through it. He really couldn’t be happier.


 

A/N: Wait! It doesn't end here! There will be an Epilogue! It's already in the works, so hang in there, chingus!