A Familiar Angel

A Familiar Angel
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
“I'm really sorry, my angel. I can't do this anymore.” Of all the things that can happen, this is the least expected of them. They have a steady relationship, an ideal one maybe. So she has no idea what the hell went wrong. “Please, don't beat yourself, Fany. You're an amazing person. Anyone would be lucky to have you. It's just, things have changed for me. And I guess it's much better if we go on our separate ways. Maybe by then, you can actually find someone who can take care of you much better.”

As she continues to listen to the last voice message in her inbox, tears started to roll down her chin.

“Don’t worry. I never regretted that seven years we spent together. Our dream house with a treehouse in the backyard, a beagle, and maybe a child or two, that's our wish, remember? I want you to hold on to that but instead of us, maybe someday, you'll find someone who can fulfill that with you. Please do this for yourself?”

She can't help but clutch her phone tightly. Just that morning, she’s having another day of her life and then the next moment, she received this message from her supposed fiance.

“I'll understand if you'll hate me for this so do as you wish. But I hope you'll be able to move on. Remember, Simon says move on, alright?”

She heard him cough several times, obviously struggling.

Funny how he used that trick on her. It's been a random game between the two whenever they're together. Every time Tiffany asked for something, he wouldn't comply unless she says Simon says so. She's really annoyed at first but as time passes by, the two picked up the habit and will play randomly.

“Take care Fany-ah. I'll send someone to watch over you when I get there. Love you.”

As soon as the recording has finished playing, she slumped on the floor, holding back the tears she's been struggling to release.

She was at her office like any other day when she checked her messages, one from him a few weeks ago and one from his sister just hours ago.

 

“from: ChoiSW♥

 

Attachment: DearFany_08062016.mp3

 

[received 11/01/2016, 11:11 pm]”

 

She's been listening to the recording over and over again. She doesn't know what's up with him. She doesn't know why the random message.

That was until she received a message coming from his sister the day before.

 

“from: ChoiSY

 

Fany unnie, I'm really sorry if this would be a bad timing but I think you should hear this.

I hated to be the bearer of bad news. But my brother… he passed away this morning. He was diagnosed with stage 3 cancer last February. He doesn't want you to know so I can't really do anything. I'm really sorry unnie. I wanted to tell you before but he stopped me.

But I really hope that you'll be able to cope with this. I'm just here unnie. You can talk to me. You're a family, always remember that.

Sooyoung

[received Yesterday, 3:47 pm]”

 

She noticed that the file was dated about three months ago. It was the time he started acting strange. It was also hard for the both of them since Tiffany moved to Korea around March.

“No wonder you're acting really strange these past few months.”

Last week, the message was cryptic to her but after reading Sooyoung's email, she felt like a bus hit her, finally understanding the meaning behind the voice message. Numb, she went back to her seat, still absorbing what happened these past few days. She was a walking mess for days. She tried to keep herself preoccupied by finishing the reports that has to be submitted at the end of the day.

It was around 5pm and she's fixing her things. She planned on staying cooped up in her bed when someone knocked at her door.

“Yes?” she recognized it was the director’s assistant. So it can either only be good or bad. The assistant noticed her disheveled state which made her regret whatever will happen next.

“The director wants to see you, miss Hwang. Please do come to his office. Thank you.”

While walking towards the director’s office, each step becomes heavier and heavier.

She knocked twice before opening the huge, mahogany door with golden engravings. Lee Soo Man, Director

“You wanted to see me, sir?” she tried her very best to keep everything professional despite the heavy weight of her heart.

“Yes, miss Hwang. Please have a seat.”

She doesn't like the sound of it and judging from his face, things aren't going to be good.

“Is there anything wrong, sir?” Beads of sweat started to bullet on her forehead despite the freezing air conditioner.

“Miss Hwang, I know that you're one of our best here but I can't overlook your latest performance.”

“What about it, sir?”

“You see, even tiny mistakes that are missed can cause huge. And apparently, you did just that. It's fine if it's just a little mishap but unfortunately, you hit a really bad target.”

Her heart started beating fast. It's a TGIF and the last thing she wants to hear today is something bad about work.

“How bad, sir?”

“Well, as bad as losing 30 million Won in our revenue bad.”

Her eyes popped out, mouth agaped at the amount. She never thought she could mess up that big.

“But how…” she was rendered speechless. She has no idea what went wrong.

“So I guess you know how this is going to be, right miss Hwang?”

She stood up and bowed. “I understand sir. Forgive me for my shortcomings. It won't happen again.”

“As much as I hate it, but you know the procedures Miss Hwang. I'm sorry to say but I'm suspending you. Thank you for your service but until this has been resolved, you'll be suspended until further notice. That is all.

     

“Another shot!” she called the bartender drunkenly. She's been drinking nonstop, trying to drown her thoughts from her deceased lover and suspended work.

The bartender saw the state she's in so he can't help but worry. “Are you sure, miss? You can't barely speak prope-”

“Just it and give me that shot okay?! It’s my call when I'll stop.”

After shots and shots of hard liquor, she’s knocked out, barely conscious.

Out of nowhere, a girl, about same age as her, sat in her table. She wanted to shoo her off but she can barely form a word.

“Here. To sober you up a bit.” the aroma entered her nose and she was surprised it's vanilla coffee, just the way she likes it.

Due to too much alcohol in her system, her sight was blurry so she can't really make out the face in front of her.

“Don’t worry. It's my treat. But please go home afterwards. You're barely alive.” With that said, the girl stood up and left the area.

Dumbfounded, she stared at the cup of coffee in front of her. She's astonished at the timing of the girl, especially when not many people knows her favorite. In fact, only he can get the right blend for her. She was also weirded out by the fact that the girl has coffee when she knows expertly that this particular bar doesn't have coffee.

Soon as she's done with the coffee, as a gratitude to the mysterious woman from earlier, she decided that it was enough. She booked a car online since it was definitely safer that way.

As she waited for the car by the bench, it becomes freezing for her. She only has her cardigan so it doesn't really do much.

A few minutes later, a black car stopped in front of her. Checking the plate number, she confirmed that it was the car that she booked earlier.

As soon as she entered the car, she slumped carelessly, not even greeting the driver.

“Good evening ma’am, where to?” This took Tiffany by surprise. It's not everyday you'll see a female driver in her 20’s.

“Just take me anywhere. I don't really care. Heck, I don't even care if you'll kidnap me for all I care. At least everything can end in an instant.”

The driver just nodded and went on the way.

“Miss, do you want some coffee? I blended it myself earlier. It might ease you up a bit,” the driver offered her thermos. She can't really ignore the strong smell of liquor so it's a best bet that her passenger is drunk as ever.

She didn't think twice and accepted the offer. She's freezing cold right now and her head’s starting to split.

“Sure thanks,” as soon as she took a sip, nostalgia hits her. It's the same taste she had earlier at the bar. That sweet vanilla coffee blend, she can't be mistaken about it.

“You blended this?”

“Uhh, yeah. It was supposed to be my drink for the night but it looks like you need it more than me. I can always buy an instant later on.”

“It's vanilla coffee…” she described. It's not a common blend so meeting someone with the same taste is interesting.

“It's my favorite blend. But it's not really common here so I understand if you don't like it.” The driver had a sad tone in it. She was hoping that Tiffany would accept the drink. Most people in their place prefers brewed coffee anyway.

“No! No… this is actually my favorite. That's why I find it strange, so I'm really thankful.”

“That's great then,” she smiled from the driver seat and Tiffany took notice of that from the rear view mirror.

“So, any place in mind?”

“Just drive me anywhere. I don't really feel like going home. I'll pay up properly.”

“Sure thing.”

It was the vast of midnight. The once lively city is now serene and ghostly, with only the streetlights illuminating the road.

Feeling a bit sober, Tiffany started to strike a conversation with her driver.

“So uhm… thanks for the coffee. I really appreciate that, uhhh…”

“Taeyeon.”

“Huh?”

“I'm Taeyeon. Perhaps you didn't read my info when you booked a ride earlier.”

“Yeah, sorry about that. I was not in my best consciousness earlier if you haven't noticed.” Taeyeon chuckled a bit remembering the state Tiffany was in when she entered the car. It's amazing that she's still able to book a ride.

“Oh, right. I'm really sorry for taking your coffee. I'll just buy you one later.”

“It's alright. Seeing you enjoyed my blend is enough for me.”

Awkward silence engulfed the two of them for a minute. None of them have an idea of what to talk about.

“So… uhm, I'm not being a ist here but you're a girl. And it's really rare for girls to do this job. Much more at night. Just wondering why you're at this job.”

“I don't really know, to be honest. I just love driving especially at night. So with this, at least I get to drive and earn at the same time.”

“Well, that's a valid reason…” Tiffany thinks of more questions she can ask. Maybe by that, she can help Taeyeon to not fall asleep even without her coffee.

“So, why vanilla coffee? I mean, black or brewed coffee are the usual. There's even cappuccino or mochachino. I'm just curious.”

“I do drink other blends but vanilla just gives me a different feel. You know, it's like, why will you stick with the bitterness of life if you can blend some sweetness to it? Get my point?”

That answer struck Tiffany hard. She can't help but let a tear escape from her eye. It's just like yesterday when she first tasted that.

 

“Hey! I decided to do something today,” he grinned while greeting Tiffany by the door.

“Wow congratulations! Finally you have something to contribute to the human race. So what is it that you called me so urgently?”

“Chill, dear. You're gonna ruin the fun.”

“I canceled my spa appointment for this. So there's gotta be something acceptable here.”

He ushered Tiffany to the kitchen where several packs of imported coffee and cream are scattered in the kitchen island.

“It you called me just to clean this place up, I swear you’ll meet hell.”

“Feisty. But don't worry. You're not gonna clean my mess. I just wanted you to try something.”

“What?!”

“Cut the dirty thoughts. I've been experimenting with different blends and I think I've perfected one.”

“Hmmm fine then. Let's see if it’s worth my time.”

Soon enough, he poured in a freshly blended coffee mix in a cup and handed it to Tiffany.

“Try it,” he urges excitedly.

“Uhh.. It's white?”

“Yes it's white. Just taste it. You're killing me here.”

As soon as Tiffany put her lips on the cup, the sweet aroma entered her system, engulfing her in a calm, refreshing feeling.

Having tasted different blends of coffee for years, but so far, that has got to be one of the most imprinting taste she had. It’s different from what she usually has and yet, there's a sense of serenity and familiarity to it. Definitely something special.

“So? Is it good? I'm planning to add that to the menu. Angel's blend by barista Choi.” He gestured weirdly, visualizing his menu at his cafe.

Still, she was unable to speak. She's just spacing out, savoring the vanilla taste of the coffee.

“Why vanilla?” there are a lot of possible must-try blends out there so she’s wondering why vanilla.

“I remember you said before that you prefer anything sweet blend while we're in Italy so I thought of vanilla. Besides, why will you stick with the bitterness of life if you can blend some sweetness to it?”

“Gosh that is so cheesy. And that was two years ago! How can you still remember that?”

“Of course! You're my favorite girl. And you spilled that hot chocolate on my white shirt that time so it's memorable.”

“Oh right. Sorry about that, love.”

 

“Are you alright?” Taeyeon looked through the rearview mirror after not receiving any response from Tiffany.

“Uhh… yeah. Just remembered something.”

Both fell in silence with Taeyeon dismissing the fact that she definitely saw tears earlier. But she doesn’t really want to pry so she kept mum.

It was around 2am. Taeyeon is worried about her passenger. She’s been driving for three hours already although she’s enjoying it.

She checked Tiffany at the back, thinking that the girl fell asleep, and she was right.

“Hmm, perhaps we can go to that place then.”

About thirty minutes later, Tiffany stirred from her sleepiness. She almost panicked when she looked at where she is but then remember the events from last night.

She observed the surroundings outside. It took her a few minutes to notice the unfamiliar surroundings.

“Taeyeon, where are we?” Panic is evident in her voice. She did say that she could care less if she will be kidnapped but she doesn’t really mean that. She’s afraid that Taeyeon isn’t someone she thought she is and now, her life is in danger.

“Oh hi! You’re awake. I thought you’ll be knocked out until the morning.”

“Where are you taking me?” She tried to gather her thoughts, trying to figure out where the heck are they but to no avail. She had never been in this part of the city, or maybe they aren’t in the city anymore. Her dead phone battery didn't really help the situation.

“Don’t worry. I’m not planning on kidnapping you if that’s what you’re afraid of.”

“But we’re not in Seoul anymore.”

“I know. I just thought that maybe you needed a break from the city, given your state last night. And since you said that I could take you anywhere, that’s exactly what I’m doing,” that answer doesn’t really gave Tiffany a comforting feeling.

She grabbed her phone, ready to make a 911 call in case of any trouble she’ll encounter only to be reminded that her phone’s dead. Taeyeon noticed this and immediately intervene.

“Relax. Besides, we’re almost there.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter