Chapter 13

Piece by piece

He had seen the way people around school had started to look at him and Taehyung differently after the girls showed up at school. He wasn’t used to all the stares he was receiving from girls that never even looked his way before. He was Jeon Jungguk, high school outcast that barely uttered a word when the teacher called on him. He didn’t hang with the popular crowd. He didn’t play sports or was part of the student council. To everyone that thought they knew him, he was the ‘shy’ orphan.

He was aware that people would look at him while he danced on stage of some undisclosed illegal rap or dance battle with his brothers. But those people weren’t staring at him but at the story he was telling with his body. Like, seriously, it took him until Jennie kissed him to even figure out that she had been flirting the whole time.

As he shoveled noodles into his mouth, he heard a few giggles a few desks down. He looked up and was meet with several eyes of his fellow female peers on him. He shot them his deadliest glare. He knows that if Jennie found out she’d show up and raise hell. The girls squealed and looked away as they giggled within themselves. He rolled his eyes and continued to shove more food into his mouth. There is no reason for people to look at him differently. He was still Jungguk, the only difference was that he had a girlfriend.

“Dude, are you even listening to us?”

Jungguk turned to look at his friends and nodded.

“Oh, yeah? What were we talking about?”

“Fine! I wasn’t listening,” scuffed Jungguk as he reached over to pick some kimchi from his friend’s dish.

“Jesus, Jackson-hyung was right. That fox has you whipped,” laughed his friend, earning an eye roll from the other two sitting next to him.

“Little wet for Jackson-hyung, aren’t we Bam?” laughed the other boy sitting with Jungguk as the teen scuffed.

“Shut up, Yugyeom. I’m just pointing out what our hyungs tell me,” scuffed BamBam. “Anyway, hyung said that he recognized those girls uniform form that private school all those snob from the city go too. All I got to say is be careful. Rich girls don’t go for poor guys like us. And if they do, it’s just a trial run, nothing too serious.” The teen stood up from his seat to throw his trash away. 

“Yah!” shouted Jungguk. “I’m gonna tell my hyung you just called his little sister a ‘Rich Snob’!” he stood and followed his friend to throw away his trash. “Anyway, she’s attending the school on scholarship. That school is a Preforming Arts, Business, and Science institute. Both Jennie and Jimin-hyung got into that school because of their grades and talent.” The three boys exited the class room to go wash their hands.

“Wait, seriously?” asked Yugyeom as he stopped mid step. “I thought she was rich?”

“Bro, Jen is anything but a rich snob. Neither are the girls. A princess, yeah, but not a snob,” smiled Jungguk as he continued on to the restroom.

They boys joked and playfully shoved each other as they walked – enjoying the last few minutes before class started again.

“Hey, Gukkie,” spoke a disgustingly sweet voice as the most popular girl in their grade stopped before them with her click of friends.

“Ew,” rude, but Jungguk didn’t care and continued walking.

Yugyeom, BamBam, and girls just stared as he walked away. His face was as red as a tomato as he walked into the restroom to hide.

*

Daehyun smiled as he watched the kids talk amongst themselves. The smile on both Jimin’s and Rose’s faces were very heartwarming. He doesn’t want to leave but if he doesn’t leave soon, he and his team won’t be able to make it to mission in time and many people will be lost. He stood from his seat and motioned Gyuri to follow him outside.

“I think it would be safer if we move the boys to your place. It’s safer than them being in their apartment or mine or their foster father’s,” spoke the Director as the door closed behind Gyuri. Neither wanted to go back to work but with everything that happened, they needed to clean up this mess.

“It’s Friday, they are so used to going out with their friends,” sighed the Chairwoman as they walked to the sitting area to have some sort of privacy. From where they sat, they could see the city and how people moved about. Just like everyone that stood in front of the hospital, they now knew who were her children. “Anything they do from now on will be a lot riskier. At least when Jimin was just a dancer, things weren’t as crazy. He could get away with a lot. Now, anything he’ll do, it’s like he’s under a microscope. Rose, too. I wanted to keep them out of the spot light,” she sighs. “Yeah, I think it’s best we move them into the house.”

He could see how stressed she was. Issue after issue was being dumped on her. She didn’t need this. But it need to be addressed. He’s too old to be a friend with benefits. He’s 38 years old. A grandfather already, for goodness sakes. He knows this is something that needs to be addressed, too.

“Ri, about us,” he stands from his seat and kneels in front of her.

“What about us?” she asks, taking both his larger hands in hers and looking into his eyes. She really wanted there to be and ‘us’ but they couldn’t just pick up the pieces from where they left off. Years had passed with so much happening in their respectable lives and it would be difficult to get back into the swing of things.

“Me and you?” he gave her hands a gentle squeeze. “We’ve done things and I don’t know where we stand. Was it just a onetime thing that we’ll forget and continue to co-parent our son?”

“What do you want ‘us’ to be, Dae?” she whispered looking into his eyes. She couldn’t make heads or tails about the emotions that swam in his eyes. She knows that she wants there to be more but what if he didn’t want anything else. What if things don’t work out?

“I’m too old for labels, Ri-Ri,” she sighs, releasing her hands to stand. “I need a definitive answer so I could move on.”

She could tell he felt conflicted. They needed to close this chapter in their lives to continue living, being together or apart.

“You promised we were going to get married after we finished university,” she whispers, just loud enough for him hear. “I finished university years ago,” she stood from her seat, holding sight. “You promised”.

*

Lisa and Jennie sat patiently, out in the cold, waiting for their boyfriends to walk out of school. Under their butts where the two suitcases that Lisa had packed when she arrived home. It was a rash decision but she just couldn’t live in that house anymore. Her career had ended before it started, she had an alcoholic mother, a workaholic father, and ‘thing’ as a brother. She wanted her family – her best friends, Jennie, Rose, Jisoo, and Jimin, her friends Namjoon, Yoongi, Jin, Hoseok, and Jungguk, and her family Taehyung, Baekhyun, and Chanyeol. She had meet Baekhyun and Chanyeol not that long ago and they were more parents to her than her parents had ever been in the time she had been on this earth.

The two older men helped her and advised her like parents should. They gave her the love and support that she needed to continue living – aside from her loving and amazing boyfriend. She was able to count on them for anything. She just hopes that they won’t close the door on her.

“Here they come,” giggle Jennie when she saw her boyfriend walking their way with Taehyung and a group of boys she didn’t know. She stood from her spot and dusted off the back of her jeans out of force of habit. She fixed her black and white stripped beanie and playfully skipped towards her boyfriend. The thin chains on either side of her jeans jingled with every step she took. She loved the way he looked in any sort of uniform.

Jungguk was busy talking to Yugyeom about something that happened during their gym class when his brother tapped his shoulder. He turned to look at the older boy who nodded towards the direction the girls were walking from. He couldn’t help it when his face turned into a tomato. He believes that she will always get this reaction out of him, no matter how old they are.

“Hey, Jungguk-oppa,”

His smile turned into a frown when the girl from earlier stops him in his tracks. Come on, ‘ew’ is a clear indicator that he wants nothing to do with here.

“Umm,” he turns to look at his brother who just shrugs, ignoring the girl’s friends.

“I was thinking we could go get a coffee together?” the girl crocked her hip and began twirling a strand of blonde hair with her fingers.

“No,” that sounded more like a question than a direct answer – Taehyung just facepalmed at his brother’s dorkiness.

“No? Why not? I mean, you like that hot street dancer and I’m captain of the school’s cheerleading team. We work together,” she giggled and her friends followed. She turned to look at the girls, “Wouldn’t we make a cute couple?” she asked.

Jennie Kim, in nowhere near jealous… she territorial to the nines. She was Jennie Kim who grew up in working class home with a father and older brother who were feared both academically and within the underground for their monstrous rhymes. She can’t let them down.

She had heard what that blond tramp had said to her boyfriend. She had two options, 1) she could ‘fight to the death’ for Jungguk – which would be extremely stupid of her because mama always said not to fight over a man that you would exchange for a better version of, and 2) why fight when she could just…

The brunette smirked and quickened her pace, earning strange looks from those around her. She knew exactly what she was doing. She added a sway of her hip to ever step.

“Oh, he…”

She cut off her boyfriend as he planted her lips against his chapped ones. She felt the boy tense for a brief second before he responded back a bit forceful, tipping her head back a bit as he nibbled at her bottom lip. She felt a shiver run down her spin as he wrapped his arms around her slender waist and lifted her up.

“Hey,” smiled Jungguk as he stared into his girlfriend’s lovely brown eyes. “I didn’t know you were going to come by,” he greeted, holding her tight against him.

“Yeah,” nodded Jennie, hiding her face in his chest.

“Catch you hoes latea,” chuckled Taehyung with a cocky grin on his face as he spotted his girl sitting alone the gate. He walked away leaving Jungguk alone to deal with Jennie and his little ‘problem’.

“Bye,” answered the group of friends.

“Excuse me?”

Both Jennie and Jungguk turned towards the voice and the teen couldn’t help but feel annoyed. “What?” he answered coldly, shocking the girl. “Can’t you see I’m busy?”

“Rude,” scuffed the girl.

“Oh, I’m sorry? Were we supposed to care?” asked Jennie, as her boyfriend nipped at her exposed neck. “Shoo,”

“Ugh.” The students around them couldn’t hold their laughter.

 

“Hey,” greeted Taehyung, wrapping his arms around Lisa’s thin waist. “You okay?” he asked. He had received a text from her earlier asking is she could stay over and he said yes. He didn’t expect her to wait for him with red puffy eyes and luggage at her feet.

“I’m tired,” she whispered hugging his middle and giving a small squeeze. “I can’t do this anymore, Tae,” she sniffled over his soft ‘baby’. “I can’t go back to that house. I hate them all,” she sobbed.

Watching her cry is one of the hardest things he has ever done. He tightened his arms around her and once again kissed the top of her head. He had gone through something similar but he never got to the point of saying he hates his foster mother or Kris. He had voiced how much he hated living in their house after she kicked out his brother but Baekhyun arrive in his life when he needed someone’s support.

“I know, baby,” he whispered. “I love you, okay? I’m sure my hyung would be okay with you staying with us.

“I love you, too.”

**

“Things for everyone will be a lot harder from now on,” began Gyuri. “We weren’t careful when we went out for dinner. It’s my fault. I should have requested a more private sitting area,” she sighed, pinching the bridge of her nose. “They figured that both Jimin and Rose are my children and that Daehyun is Jimin’s biological father. Knowing those rats, they already know that Jimin was adopted by your parents,” she referred to Yoongi.

“And Jimin’s pregnancy,” voiced the director. “They’ll try to ruin his image with the attack and the fact that Hoseok was with him when it happened.” This added more onto his plate but Daehyun knew they had to do this if they didn’t want things getting out of control. “I’m still working an open case. I have to leave in about,” he looked at his watch, “three hours”. He groaned in annoyance. Why today of all days?

“I called a conference at HQ later today. Explain to them a bit of what has been happening – the attack, finding out you’re our son, you being fostered by the Kim’s, the abuse case against Rose’s father, and so on.” The ginger haired woman stood from seat and walked her son and took his hand in hers. “I’ll have to explain that you were taken away from me and giving to the Min’s. They’ll accuse you for fraud but we have the DNA records that show you are our son. They’ll also want to know who the father of your baby is and what your relationship with him is. I want you to be as calm as possible. Neither one of you can be stressed at this moment, so all of you will be sitting next to me and let me explain. If a question is directed to you, you can either pass it on to me or answer it yourselves. My attorney will be there as well.”

Jimin saw the distant look in his mother’s eyes and it scared him. He whimpered and buried his face in Hoseok’s chest. His life was a mess. He brought so much pain into these people’s lives “I’m sorry,” he apologized.

“Oh Jiminie,” began Gyuri. “It’s not your fault, honey. People would’ve figured it out either way. So, this isn’t your fault,” she promised. “They would have figured it out way before you and your sister take over everything dealing with ‘Park’,” she continued looking over at Daehyun who nodded at her. “Even you, Yoongi.”

The blonde’s eyes widened in shock. What does he have to do with this, besides being Jimin’s adoptive brother? “Me? Why me?” he asked looking between everyone and receiving the same look from Rose, Hoseok, and Jimin.

“Tell them,”

“My father created PJM Ent. around the time you and Jimin showed interest in music and dance. I’m sure he pushed Jimin to audition for them before he tried with anyone else. Just like he was waiting for you to finish university to offer you a position as producer at the company. He had everything set for the two of you – home, education, career – everything.”

Yoongi turned to look at his younger brother in shock. “What are you talking about?” he asked her.

“PJM is both, yours and Jimin’s. Each has a 50% share of the everything dealing with PJM. Unlike everything else under us, this is one of the few company that doesn’t have any investors in it.”

“Meaning?” asked Yoongi.

“Meaning my contract can’t get terminated unless approved by the CEO. In our case, Co-CEO. This means Lisa and TaeMin can keep their contracts. No way!!!” shouted Jimin, wrapping his arms around his mother’s waist.

Gyuri just laughed at the pure joy written on her son’s face. She needed him to be relaxed, happy, smiling. He had gone through so much in the past that he needed joy in his life. “Only downfall, neither of you can take over until you graduate university and in Jimin’s case, decide to retire from the spot light.”

“Meaning?” asked Rose, as she sat straighter. She had been lucky that a professor was able to catch her when she fainted.

“We have a friend from when we were younger, Chaerin or CL,” began Daehyun. “Ri and I trust her enough to be a temporary solution,”

“Or at least until Yoongi decides he wants to take over,” finished Gyuri.

“I’ve heard of her. She started in the underground before she was scouted by some major company and became huge,” injected Hoseok who stood from his seat and offered it to his boyfriend. “She’s been inactive for a few years now,” he scrunched up his brows in confusion.

“It’s a bit of a long story but you will get to meet her tonight before the conference. Now, about you two…”

**

“Are you ready to make the announcement?” asked Chairman Park, still looking out the window of his room. He’s been confined to the ugly four walls for the past few years. He needed out.

“Yes, sir, but your daughter. I’m not sure what she’s planning but she fired everyone from PJM and is ‘cleaning house’”.

“How did she find out about that?” the heart monitor attacked to him began beeping. He felt his pressure rising.

“I’m not sure, but knows about everything.”

“About the boy?”

“I’m not sure, sir. There are rumors going around that she knows more than what she’s letting on”.

“Release the following statement, ‘Fairytale ending come true. Park Jimin, Heir of the Park Fortune, and Lee Seung-hyun, son of Thailand Ambassador, announce their engagement’.”

“Yes, sir,”

**

Cameras went off as Jimin and Hoseok stepped out to City Hall, hand in hand. In Jimin’s hand was a legal a certificate, signed and stamped by the judge that announced them husband and husband. Their group of friends standing behind them – the younger ones still wearing their school uniform.

 

Back in her office, Gyuri facepalmed herself. This was not what she meant when she said to hit them getting married.

 

Daehyun was boarding the aircraft that would be flying him and his team to the undisclosed location in Ulsan. The small television set that hung on the wall showed images of his son and Hoseok stepping out of City Hall.

“Your kid did the same mine did. Except mine can’t get married without my consent,” jabbed Baekhyun as he passed the director. He was so mad that it scared the whole team with how clam he was. He understood why Lisa had left her home but she took a rash decision and Chanyeol did not back him up when he asked about staying with one of her other friends. He liked the girl and all, but that’s a new season of 16 and Pregnant waiting to happen. Sorry, Jimin.

**

“What do you mean ‘He got married’? He still a minor and minors cannot marry without consent from their guardian! My daughter was not there so that marriage can be annulled,” growled Chairman Park into the receiver.

An arrest warrant for Head of the Park family, Park TaeJi, was issued out by the Korean government moments ago,” began the evening news, the anchor speaking in clear Mandarin. “The charges against Korea’s most powerful man involve fraud, kidnapping, and blackmail. Our sources tell us that the kidnapping charge are regarding his grandson, Min Jimin. More later tonight,”

Chairman Park stared at the television screen with wide eyes.