Uncomfortable

When it's cold

 

"She's from China? But her Korean's too good for a foreigner, right?" Seungcheol looked at the picture on his phone more clearly to convince himself that this was, a Chinese girl. Long black hair, big brown eyes and her skin was a little too white that she almost became sheer. "Wow, she's really pretty. Don't you think she is, Mingyu?"

Mingyu didn't answer. He was too busy with his game. Yes, he'd heard of the new girl in town.

And she was, indeed, pretty. 

 

"Your name sounds really cool. Kyulkyung, it's very...um..lady-like?" Seungcheol found himself getting interested in her. Kyulkyung just laughed and pushed his shoulder. She was taller than most girls here, and everybody just wanted to be friends with her. People, after all, always got attracted to what was beautiful.

"Stop flirting." Mingyu rolled his eyes as he walked past.

 

She's good. Mingyu got surprised when he first heard her singing. Her voice sounded pure and talented. There was something in her tone that reflected her own personalities: optimistic and so, so bright. 

"I'm in love." Jihoon whispered. 

"Oh shut up." 

 

"Why are you still here?" Mingyu opened his eyes widely when he saw her at the practicing room. At 3AM. She looked exhausted, but still gave him a smile. "It's impressive. You're gonna debut or what?" He chuckled.

"You're being mean. YOU are the one that's about to debut." She tied her hair in a ponytail, showing her slender and somewhat, attractive neck. Mingyu quickly turned his gaze away. He was here because he forgot his earphones, that was all. 

"Looking for something?" Kyulkyung asked.

"Yeah. My earphones. Apple ones." 

"Oh, that? I kept them in my backpack."

Mingyu took back his earphones. Well, he was done here, but his feet wouldn't move. She didn't look like she wanted to leave, and by that he decided to stay for a little while. Why? Mingyu didn't know, and he didn't have to know. They had their first talk after a year being acquaintances. Kyulkyung was not cheerful as he always thought. She was more of a calm and collected person.

"You're so hard-working. Not everyone of us is as passionate as you, you know." Mingyu bought her coffee. She didn't deny it, which made him feel more comfortable. 

"You're lying. I know you all work your asses off for this." Kyulkyung sighed. "I have no choice but to try harder."

The night in Seoul was dark and made people feel lonely. Mingyu noticed her fingertips got red, she must have been so cold. He wanted to give her his jacket so bad, but he didn't have the courage.

I should have given it to her, that was Mingyu thought whenever he recalled that night. Kyulkyung was small compared to his height, and Mingyu suddenly thought, how nice it would be to have her in his arms.

"You're pretty, and you sing well. You're gonna debut soon, I believe it." 

"You think so?" Kyulkyung chuckled.

"Yes, and you've come a really long way to get here, in a place where no one speaks your mother tounge, where no one has to share your problems with you. You deserve so much more than just a debut."

Kyulkyung stopped walking and looked at him. Her eyes said she was shocked, and touched. Mingyu found his face getting warmer, so he looked away. Kyulkyung still didn't move her gaze, she finally moved towards to hold his arm.

"Thank you." She gave him a wide smile. "I mean it."

 

Mingyu believed everything was real. His feelings, and hers. Even though they were so sudden and so fragile at that moment, but he enjoyed anyway.

 

"Wow..... you look pretty." Kyulkyung was all dress-up and got her makeup done, so she looked even more beautiful than usual. It was Seventeen's MV-filming day. 

"I know right." Kyulkyung seemed to be happy. "I look good in uniforms."

"Stop flirting." Seoungcheol, for now, Scoups, giggled as he walked past. 

"Very funny." Mingyu rolled his eyes.

 

The director seemed pleased and everything'd gone well. Mingyu stood next to Kyulkyung as they watched a scene that'd just been finished. Hoshi was also there, his lips curved into a smirk. Everyone noticed what was happening.

"Hey, Mingyu. Don't be too close with her. Your fans won't like it." The company's CEO showed up and gave Mingyu a private talk. He didn't look happy watching it. 

"It's just all act-" Mingyu didn't even have the chance to finish his sentence.

"I know what is best. Director, delete this, and the class scene. These two were too clingy."

"But everyone has done so well!" 

"Yes and no because, you haven't. Think of the girls that are about to like you. Will they like you if you're so close with another girl? What will happen if they don't like you? Ever thought of that?"

 

Kyulkyung seemed to understand things quickly. She didn't even talk or stand next to him all day. It'd be lying if Mingyu was not upset. He was more of angry, but also concerned about their relationship. 

They both would be celebrities someday. People would know everything, they wanted to know everything. Fans would definately find out about her. Some might like her, but most just not. What could he do to protect her anyway? He was so small in this big, really big, and cold, cold world.

"Hey." Mingyu held her hand as she walked past him. He'd waited for nearly an hour. Kyulkyung knew he was standing at the front door but she acted like she didn't see him. And it hurted really bad.

"People will see us." Kyulkyung tried to loosen his tight grip, but Mingyu didn't let her. Well, he was always stubborn. "What do you want?"

"Please don't be sad. You know how I feel about you, about us. I don't want to loose you." 

"Well, but you have to. It's the only way you can do." She seemed pissed in her tone, but her eyes were empty. "You can't just tell your fans that you like someone, can you? Please just grow up, Mingyu. And give me a break."

"You don't tell me what I'm about to do." His voice was as cold as the night. "I said, I don't want to loose you, and I won't."

 

Jihoon, for now - Woozi, looked at Mingyu for a long time and finally spoke. "You can't be with her forever. A lot of fans already knew, they did ask me."

"Well, screw them." Mingyu suddenly got pissed. 

"You can't. They love you because you don't belong to anyone, even though it's just the outside. They are as important as her."

 

It was 3AM. Mingyu found his way to the practicing room, with a hope that he might find her there. She'd been avoiding him for quite a while. Kyulkyung was always smart and understood things. She knew what was best.

"Oh my gosh.' Kyulkyung startled as she queaked a bit. "Why are you here? Don't you have schedules tomorrow? Go home and get some sleep."

"Why do you want me to leave? I don't want to leave." Mingyu looked at her so deeply that she could not take it anymore. Kyulkyung hated when he looked at her like that. It was so passionate to the point that she might think everything was her fault. 

Have you ever loved anyone so bad, that your love in the end, tore you into pieces, and crushed you to your core? That was he felt when she left. She left after they had a kiss. It was nothing like they'd never kissed before. But something told Mingyu that this was the last time. Oh, that was why she kissed him so dearly. That was why she let him kiss every inch of her neck. That was why she let him feel her warmth, her love.

That was why she cried.

 

"Oh god, it's cold." Vernon mumbled while they were running as quickly as they could to the car. Why the winter had to be so cold? Mingyu hated it. Because when it's cold, he thinks about their first night they actually got to know each other. When it's cold, he thinks of how he fell in love by the smallest detail of hers.

Her voice, her hair, her scent, everything about her that he loves so, so much. 

Because when it's cold, he misses her so bad to the point that he doesn't want to go home. He wants to wait until 3, to accidentally meet her at the building's front door. She might be there and say hi.

Because when it's cold, he thinks about a question he got. 

"Did you two break up? I'm sorry, but I live near your company, I saw you two a lot. I just want to know if you're okay."

"Yes, we broke up a long time ago. She's fine, I'm fine too."

He lied.

 

Because when it's cold, I feel so lonely. I miss your warmth, I miss your whole existence. And when it's cold, I want to be loved. 

You told me, thing were gonna be okay without you, and I would live so well without you. Yes, you're right. I still live, still eat, and smile in front of cameras. I work, I sleep, I travel. I could live my life so well without you that you might even get jealous.

But I don't want to live that way.

 

So when it's cold, think of me. Sometimes. And someday, I might be able to love you again, and this time, I won't leave you.