Lost in a heartbeat.

Heartbeat
Fan Fiction

Heartbeat [ROL One-Shot Challenge] [COMPLETED]

by jwyl

Chapter 1

Lost in a Heartbeat

I'm a really big fan of Kim Junsu! But that's not the reason I chose him for this one-shot. Junsu and Ri In are the assigned characters that are supposed to use for this story, and same for the title.

I'm really sorry if you end up not liking the ending.
But please enjoy :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kim Junsu and Jang Ri In have been dating for seven years now. They both love each other very much. Ri In had always wondered when Junsu would pop the magical question. Her dream came true on the day of her twenty-seventh birthday. It was such a romantic time and place. They were having a lovely candle light dinner at Junsu’s house when Junsu suddenly went down on one knee, took out a little heart shaped case, looked into Ri In’s eyes and asked, “Will you marry me?”

Now, after a little more than four months, they are finally going to get married. The night before their big day, Ri In sits on her bed, looking back at all the pictures they took during their relationship. It made her cry knowing that she’s finally going to marry the one person she loves. Her heart started to beat quickly just by the thought of getting married the next day.

“Ri In dear, are you nervous for your big day tomorrow?” Ri In’s mother came into her room with a smile on her face.

“Of course mom, every girl should be nervous for her big day. Weren’t you?” Ri In chuckled.

“Oh I was. Just before walking down the aisle, my heartbeat increased dramatically. It felt like my heart was going to burst out. But as I was walking down the aisle, staring at your father, I knew that all the nervousness was worth it. It’s great when you find someone that you’re truly in love with. I know that Junsu loves you very much, and I know that you love him very much. You two are going to make an excellent couple.” Her mother smiled, showing her wrinkles that formed near her eyes.

Ri In smiled happily at her mother. Even though her parents have been married for over twenty-eight years, they were still happily in love with each other. Ri In would always smile when she sees her parents looking at each other in the eye with such passion. She wished that she would be able to do the same with Junsu when they turn eighty years old.

“Well, I’m not going to disturb you anymore. You should get some rest. Tomorrow is going to be a busy day for you.” Her mother smiled as she walked out of Ri In’s room after saying good-night.

Her last night before becoming Mrs. Kim was one of the most nerve-wracking nights she’s ever experienced, but she was able to get a good night sleep. She woke up the next morning to the sound of her cell phone. She reached for it and opened it to find that she had one text message.

“Ri In ah, today’s the day. Are you excited? I can’t wait to see you in your wedding dress. Don’t take too long, I’ll be waiting for you at the church. I love you Jang Ri In, always and forever.” She read the text message out loud to herself.

She smiled as she thought of her future with Junsu. It was in just a matter of hours until her dream would come true. She’d finally be married to the one person she loves.

Before she shut the lights, she looked at the most memorable piece of clothing that she will ever keep. Her wedding dress was hung on her closet door, the hem of the dress almost touching the carpet floor. The dress was specially picked out by herself. Even Junsu has never seen it. She wanted it to be a surprise for him when he saw her walking down the isle the next day. She imagined the way it will flow as she took her steps forward, face covered by the partially opaque tiara veil and a smile plastered on her face.

"Tomorrow awaits..." She mumbled as she shut off the lights and fell asleep.

-------------------

“I’m going to make you the happiest bride in the world Jang Ri In.” Junsu smiled at his reflection in the mirror.

Junsu had been awake earlier then he was supposed to. He got woken up by the butterflies in his stomach. He knew that today would be the most special day in his entire life. He couldn’t help but send a little text message to his wife-to-be.

“Well, look at you Kim Junsu. Don’t you look charismatic in that tuxedo.” Junsu’s twin brother, Junho, came into the room with his own suit.

“Hyung.” Junsu greeted his brother with a smile.

“I’m pretty sure that all the women are going to be envious of Ri In for having such a good-looking husband.” Junho chuckled.

Junsu let out his high-pitched laugh as he buttoned up the last button on his tuxedo. He gave himself a final check in the mirror before heading out to the living room.

“Looks like it’s time to head to the church.” Junho smiled as he took his car keys and headed to the parking lot where they would be taking Junho’s car.

Before leaving the house, Junsu took one last look at the picture of him and Ri In from their first date, seven years ago. In the photo, both of them were smiling happily. Just thinking of being able to spend every day with Ri In, made Junsu’s heartbeat increase.

“After today, we’ll be together forever Ri In.” Junsu whispered to the photo as he headed out after Junho.

“I can’t believe you’re getting married before I am.” Junho chuckled as both of them got into the car and started their way to the church with Junsu driving.

“You and Jooli should just hurry up and close the curtains. You two have been dating for what? Five years?” Junsu questioned him.

“Just about, but Jooli says she wants to focus on her job for now.” Junho sighed.

“Why does she even need to get a job? Our family is one of the richest around. After Ri In gets married with me, I'm going to tell her to quit her job. I don't want her to be working all day and night." Junsu smiled at the thought of seeing Ri In every day after he gets home from work.

“Hey, stop bragging about your love life. I know that you and Ri In are very lucky and happy with each other, but stop making me feel like an idiot.” Junho frowned at his twin.

“Okay, okay, fine I’ll stop.” Junsu smiled.

Moments later, Junsu’s phone vibrated in his pants pocket. He used one hand to reach into his pocket so that he could grab his phone. He checked to see that it was a text message from Ri In.

Junsu’s guess was that Ri In had seen the text he sent to her and was now returning the favor.

“It’s from Ri In, isn’t it?” Junho teased.

Junsu just simply nodded with a smile as he stopped the car at a red light and flipped open his phone to reveal the short but sweet text message.

“Kim Junsu, I can’t wait to see YOU in your tuxedo. I know you’ll be the most handsome guy there. I won’t let you wait, so you better not let me wait either! I will always love you, forever and always.” Junsu read out the sweet message.

“Junsu-ah, stop staring at the message and go, the cars behind us are honking at us. The light is already green.” Junho urged Junsu.

“Alright, I’m going, I’m going.” Junsu said as he held onto his phone as he stepped on the pedal. But as he was just about to head on straight, a sudden van came rushing towards Junsu’s side of the car.

Junsu was smiling the entire time he was in the car. In his mind ,there was only Ri In. But suddenly, as he was making a left turn, Junsu saw a big grey van heading towards him.

“AHHHHHHHH!” A shout came from Junsu just before the van penetrated into his car.

With a big loud crash, the two-seater BMW flew with an impact that made the little car flip and roll on the ground. The car then landed with the tattered hood facing the sky. Inside the car, both Junsu and Junho were gasping for air. Luckily for Junho, he wasn’t as damaged as Junsu because his side wasn’t the side that got hit.

Junho had slowly unbuckled his seatbelt and wiped his eyes to get a clear view of what happened just now. He looked to his left to see Junsu’s head tilted. Junho could see blood coming from Junsu’s head and arms. Junsu’s perfect tuxedo was now ruined and ripped.

“Junsu-ah, are you okay?” Junho inched over to Junsu as he shook his shoulders.

“Junsu?” Junho started to panic. Junsu wasn’t replying.

“Junsu!” Junho started to unbuckle Junsu’s seatbelt, afraid that if they stayed any longer in the car, it’d explode. Junho could smell the gas leaking out of the car.

“Junsu! Wake up!” Junho yelled at Junsu as he continued trying to get Junsu’s belt out. But no matter how hard he tried, it wouldn’t budge. The belt was stuck.

“Hyung?...” Junsu quietly murmured, coming to conscious.

“Junsu! You’re awake! Hurry! Help me get the seatbelt off. The car’s about to explode!” Junho panicked as he tried his best to get the belt off.

Slowly, Junsu tried his best to unbuckle himself, but just like Junho, he had no luck. The belt wouldn’t come out. He’s stuck, and that’s the truth. Junsu had given up, but Junho continued to try and save his only brother.

Suddenly, Junsu started to cough. As he coughed with his hand covering his mouth, you could see blood coming out. Junsu took a look at his bloodstained hands and smiled. He knows there’s only a short matter of time.

“Hyung, stop. There’s no use.” Junsu laughed.

“I… have… to… call… Ri In…” Junsu whispered as he flipped open his phone that was still in his hand even though he had just been inside a car that flipped and rolled. He had clutched onto it as if it was his life.

“Junsu! There’s no time for that! We have to get you out of here!” Junho yelled as he took whatever he could find that would help get Junsu out of the car.

Junsu didn’t listen to Junho. He had figured out that this is how his life would end up as. Junsu has no way of escaping this tragic end. The only thing he wishes to do now is to just call Ri In and tell her how much he loves her.

After ringing a couple times, Junsu smiled as he heard Ri In answer the phone.

“Junsu! What are you calling me for? We’re going to see each really soon! Actually, I’m already here at the church waiting for you. Almost everyone is here, what’s taking you and Junho so long? And why is it so loud wherever you are?” Ri In laughed her innocent laugh.

“Ri In ah… You know that I love you very, very much right?” Junsu whispered into the phone.

“What are you talking about Oppa? Of course I love you very much! You’re about to become my husband!” Junsu could tell that Ri In was blushing madly through the phone.

“Ri In, I’ll always love you. Please let me stay in your heart forever. Please remember that without you, my heartbeat isn’t whole. I want you to live happily, okay?” Junsu smiled as he talked to her.

“Junsu, what are you talking about? Why are you talking about these things?” Ri In started to get a bit worried.

“Ri In, can you just say that you love me?” Junsu requested.

“Not until you tell me what’s happening!” Ri In sniffled.

“It’s nothing, I’ll be there soon. But can you just say you love me for now? I need to be prepared.” Junsu tried his best to give Ri In a laugh, assuring her that nothing was wrong. Junsu doesn’t want Ri In to be worried.

“Junsu… I love you, forever and always.” Ri In softly said.

“I love you too Ri In…” Junsu mumbled to her as he hung up on her. He smiled, knowing that Ri In loves him.

“I’m sorry that I have to leave you Ri In. Please take care of yourself when I’m not with you.” Junsu whispered to himself.

“Junsu! It’s not coming out!” Junho screamed in frustration as tears were now trailing down his cheeks.

“Junho, don’t bother. It won’t come out. You should get out of here before we both perish.” Junsu stopped his brother from punching the belt.

“I’m not going to leave you behind!” Junho screams as he pulls with all his might, hoping that he could get Junsu out of there.

“Junho, listen to me. You won’t be able to get me out of here. I want you to get out of here alive. Please, get out of here and take care of Ri In for me.” Junsu begged his brother.

“Junsu… no… please…” Junho started to cry louder. His eyes were red from all the crying.

“Junho, you’re the best brother I could have ever had. I’ll always remember you. Please don’t be sad because I will be gone. I want you to live every day happily.” Junsu smiled to his twin.

Just then, a firefighter appeared beside Junsu.

“Please, take him out of here before the car explodes.” Junsu begged the firefighter.

“We’ve come to help.” He replied, showing the equipment in his hand.

“You won’t have time for that. Look, the gas is already leaking out quickly, please just get him out of here and get everyone else away.” Junsu pleaded the firefighter while indicating towards Junho.

“No! I’m not going to leave you Junsu!” Junho screamed as another firefighter went to Junho’s side, opened the car door, and grabbed him by the waist, pulling him out of the car.

“I’m really sorry.” The firefighter apologized before walking off, telling everyone to back away.

“Hyung, I’ll always love you.” Junsu smiled at the crying Junho who was being forced to step away from the car.

“Ri In, I’ll always love you.” Junsu smiled at the sky as he closed his eyes letting the explosion take his life away from the world.

And with that, Ri In’s lover was lost as quick as a heartbeat.
-------------------

Back at the church, family and friends had already arrived and was now waiting for the groom to arrive so the wedding could continue.

“Ahhhhh!” Ri In suddenly screamed in pain not long after she got off the phone with a weird Junsu as she grasped the left side of her chest, feeling pain go through her heart. She fell to her knees as people gathered around her, trying to help her.

Ri In felt the pain was over powering her as the world around her out.




“She’s waking up.” Someone said as people crowded around a weak Ri In.

“Where am I?...” Ri In asked quietly as her eyes opened slowly, adjusting to the bright light in the room.

“Ri In honey, you’re in the hospital.” Her mother replied with a tissue in hand.

“Hospital? What happened? What day is it today? Where’s Junsu?” Ri In asked questions.

“You had a heart attack all of a sudden and you fainted. Today’s the 20th. You’ve been sleeping for a week. As for Junsu… he’s…” Her mother started to cry again. Tears came out nonstop.

“A week? Then what happened to the wedding? Mom, where’s Junsu? I want to see him.” Ri In pleaded her mom to tell her.

Suddenly, the door opened and in came Junho. He had a bandage wrapped around his head and he had a cast on his left arm. He had little bruises and cuts on his face.

“Junho Oppa, what happened to you?” Ri In asked as she looked over his body.

He stayed quiet, not daring to answer Ri In’s question.

“Oppa… you were with Junsu that day. Tell me, where is he?” Ri In ordered for an answer.

“Ri In, you have to calm down and listen to me.” Junho mumbled quietly as he sat down on the chair beside her and took her hand in his.

“Junho, stop scaring me! Where’s Junsu?!” Ri In starting to cry as her hands started to tremble.

“He... got in an accident that morning. A drunk driver was driving a van and crashed into Junsu’s side of the car. I tried my best to get Junsu out of the car, but the seatbelt was stuck. The firefighters came too late, the car had already leaked too much gas, and it’d be too late if they tried to get him out. The only thing we could was just stand afar and watch the car explode while taking Junsu along.” Junho started to let the tears flow willingly from his eyes.

Ri In sat on the bed, staring at the bed sheets as she listened to Junho talk. She couldn’t believe what she just heard.

“Junsu… Junsu… No… He said he would never leave me. YOU’RE LYING TO ME! JUNSU WOULD NEVER LEAVE ME!” Ri In screamed as she started to shake Junho with all her power. You could see the tears streaming down her pale skin like a waterfall. She ripped the multi tubes that were attached to her weak body and threw her pillow and sheets around the room.

“Ri In! I’m sorry! I’m sorry!” Junho shouted as he took Ri In into his embrace, trying to calm her down.

“No… You’re lying… Junsu said that he loves me and that he’ll never leave me… I didn’t even get to see him one last time…” Ri In whimpered as she gave little punches towards Junho. The tears from Ri In soaked through Junho’s shirt.

Everyone that was in the room could only watch their beloved shatter right in front of them.

That night, after everyone had left, Ri In cried all night long, not wanting to go to sleep.

“Oppa… why did you leave me?” She whispered as she touched the picture of her and Junsu on their first date seven years ago.

“You took half of my heartbeat with you. You know? Half of my heart died the instant you left me. You took half of it. My heart’s not whole without you Junsu. Please come back to me Junsu…” She cried as she held the photo to her heart.

In fact, what Ri In said was true. Half of her heartbeat had disappeared when Junsu disappeared. You could hear Ri In’s heartbeat beating slower than before, now that there was nothing that was worth her living for.

One week later, LiYin was able to get out of the hospital. And every day after Junsu had left, Ri In would not leave her room. She’d sit on her bed every day and just stare at the pictures of her and Junsu. She just wanted to have Junsu back by her side. She wouldn’t eat or drink anything. She’d just lock herself up from the world and cry herself to sleep every night.

One day, her body couldn’t take it anymore. On her way to the washroom, she suddenly fainted. Luckily, her parents were home. They took her as quick as they could to the hospital. The doctors gave her a full body check and found out some special news. The instant Junho received a phone call from Ri In’s father, he made his way to the hospital to check up on Ri In.

“Hold on one moment Ri In.” The doctor stopped Ri In from leaving the hospital after she had woke up.

“I think you might want to hear some good news.” She continued to smile.

‘Good news? What’s there to be happy about?’ Ri In thought in her head. To her, only Junsu was able to bring her good news.

“It seems that you have been pregnant for seven weeks already.” The doctor smiled.

Ri In’s head quickly looked up at the doctor. She wasn’t sure if she had heard the right sentence.

“Did… did you just say I’m pregnant?” Ri In asked to make sure.

The doctor simply nodded with a smile.

The dumbfounded Ri In just stood there, looking at the smiling doctor. Suddenly, Junho stood beside her, hugging her.

“Congratulations Ri In! You’re going to be a mom!” Junho exclaimed.

Junho had tried his best to be positive about his brother’s death, because the last thing he told him was to be happy and to take care of Ri In. The only thing that Junho could do for him was fulfill his brother’s wish.

“Baby?...” Ri In unknowingly started to smile as she looked down to her stomach.

“Junsu… I have your baby. Now I know where the other half of my heartbeat went. It belongs to our little baby now. The baby’s half plus my half equals a full heartbeat. My heart is whole again Junsu…” Ri In let happy tears flow as she caressed her stomach, the home of Kim Junsu and Jang Ri In’s child.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Alright, how do you guys think I did? This is the first time that I've ever written a one-shot. I would REALLY appreciate it if ALL the silent readers came out to comment! :)