Out of Ordinary

Delight
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It's 7 in the morning when the sun shines through the window, piercing his still sleepy eyes. He shuffle in his bed and bring his blanket to his face, trying to avoid the fierce sun to get more rest. It's Sunday anyway, he doesn't need to go to college today. He's currently in his 3rd year, majoring in music, his passion. As much as he loves music, the assignment from the Professors are too much for his liking, and he's currently facing so much stress since final week are coming in 2 weeks, while his final project is still about halfway done. He only got one more meeting with the Professor to discuss about his project, and that day will come in 3 days. Promising himself to at least have 75 percent of the project done by that day, he force himself to wake up.

Youngjae always start his days by reading some news on his phone, still lying in his bed. Only when there's no more interesting news to read he get up from his bed and turn off the air conditioner, his one-room apartment is cold in the morning. Then he boil some water to make some black tea and just stand there blankly, watching the fire warming up the kettle, then he turn off the stove when the water is hot enough to make little piercing sound, not extremely hot so it produce warm smoke through the small opening of the kettle. He pours his water to the mug with the dried tea leaves, he likes tea leaves better than tea bags, it just feel more natural. His tea needs 3-4 minutes to be done and he's starting to feel the need of toilet, so he leave his tea a bit and go to the toilet.

After finishing his business there, he wash his hands at the washtafel and take at the mirror in front of him, only finding a familiar face but with unusually tired expression. At that moment he realise how sick he is of his routine. He knows that this semester is about twice harder and tiring that the previous semesters. The previous 4 semesters are great and enjoyable, he enjoy the uncountable assignments, the nagging of the Professors are bearable, he has a group of friends that's always be there for him. But this semester he find himself tired of the assignments, he find himself watching a lot of dramas, something he haven't done in the previous semesters, and it's something he did in high school, when he is still forced to study something he's not interested in. He's running from reality. He come in conclusion that this semester is indeed tiring and the burden is heavy.

Spending more than 5 minutes in the toilet, his tea is done by the time he's done. He takes a sip, take a slice of bread, spread some butter on it and put another slice on top. A simple breakfast he like, a bit plain, but he likes it. He takes his mug and sandwich to the balcony, standing there, staring at the view the city offer. At this moment he is grateful that he lives at the 19th floor, not the highest floor but high enough to get a great view. It's interesting to see the busy street, full of cars and bikes. On Monday mornings he could hear the loud sound of horn that the cars produce, inside are impatient people trying to get to office in time. On Sunday mornings the street are not as loud and packed, there are a decent amount of people walking and driving, a pleasant view for Youngjae.

Finishing his breakfast, he get back into his apartment. Realising that it is very messy, he decide to clean up a bit, just so there are nice to see. He pick up some dirty clothing on the floor, on the sofa, on his chair, wash the dishes from yesterday, or maybe even from 3 days ago, Youngjae doesn't remember. He clean up his table, turn on his laptop just to prepare his plan to work on assignments. He sit down in front of his keyboard, pressing some keys of no song, just randomly, but magically making a wonderful tune. He is surely a talented person. But after a few minutes playing the keyboard, he feel unusually sick of it. He move to his table, in front of his laptop, type in his passcode and opening his browser to find something that can cure his bore. Only to find nothing. He is tired of everything.

Still not finding the motivation to continue his halfway done final assignments, he lie down in bed, staring at the white ceiling, feeling the plainness of his apartment. After a few minutes, he got up, knowing that he need to do something other than lying, even though he know he wouldn't do his assignment anytime soon, it's still better to do something other than lying in bed that would only give him regret after.

He take a trip around his apartment, and find nothing interesting. He decide to take a shower, a quite long shower. He thinks a bit in the shower, about life, about something he should to today, other than the assignments since he's tired of it. He make a conclusion that he need to do something out of his ordinary, he decide to take a walk at the mall, the mall has a quite big park in the middle that he rarely visit because he's an indoor person. He finish his shower, move to his wardrobe and put on a comfortable white t-shirt, and a pair of jeans. Casual look that can never go wrong.

He wait at the bus stop, waiting for his bus to the mall. And when the bus finally arrived he find the bus is packed. After tapping his electric money card, he stand in the nearest empty spot. The way there was quite a ride, there is a handsome young man standing beside him, Youngjae couldn't care less, but a group of young girls standing around him making quite a fuss to get to know him, where he's going and something like that, Youngjae realise the man's not saying anything though, but maybe smiling at them since he can hear those group of girls squealing like they saw the cutest cat ever. He finally arrived at his stop, Youngjae find his way towards the exit, and he feel some people also shuffled in the bus, trying to get out to.

He walk towards the mall entrance, enjoy the usual chilly air, from the air conditioner. Looking around, two staff at the information table are answering some call, security scanning visitors' bags, families laughing together, couples holding hands - some of them being too affectionate. That moment he felt really empty, watching too happy couples and families, while he himself only doing his ordinary day, alone. Not that he can't do anything alone though, he's been doing really fine living far from home alone, and he still have friends that would be here if he c

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter