Chapter 3

Leave Only Footsteps

Jinhwan sighed as he stared at the entrance to his workplace from the warmth of his car. Pulling himself together, he quickly made his way through the cold and into the small side door. 

"Jinannie!!!" He heard four happy squeals.

"Good evening ladies," he grinned at four of his coworkers. "What's up?"

Lisa wiggled her eyebrows at him. "You'll never guess who flirted with our Jisoo today when he picked up his dog."

"Was it old man Park?" Jinhwan wiggled his eyebrows back. 

"It was!!!" Rose and Jennie laughed as they went about with a nail trim. 

Jisoo herself blushed from the embarrassment. "He's just so old! Plus his dog has mange!"

"It was pretty bad flirting too." A fifth voice chimed in as one of the two veterinarians walked into the room. "Hey Jinhwan. How was school?"

"Evenin' Taehyung. It was fine. Need help giving vaccines?" He pointed to the animal in Taehyung's hands. The doctor nodded and they got to work. 

The hours rolled by both quickly and slowly. One by one, all the girls left until it was just Jinhwan left to feed and walk any animals left for the night. Once that was finished, he went about cleaning the floors and taking out the trash. 

"You know, they are supposed to stay and help you with that." Jinhwan looked up at his boss and grinned in a way he hoped didn't show how exhausted he was.

"I'm fine Jimin. They all needed to go. Ro--"

Jimin held up his hand. "I don't wanna know. If I know, then I have to make a judgement on it. Anyways, I've got one more treatment to give, if you'll help me real quick then you can go."

Jinhwan nodded. "Sure. Who is it?"

"Moon Suah. She should be in iso."

When Jinhwan had found her, he crouched down and picked her up gently. This was one of the things he hated about his job. The puppy looked at him with big, sleepy eyes and whined at him before nuzzling against his neck. 

"What's wrong with her?" He asked when he made his way back to Jimin. 

"Don't know. She can't use her back legs for some reason. Nothing's showing up on X-ray or in her blood. Pretty, isn't she?"

Jinhwan nodded, running his fingers through the puffy, soft puppy fur. "Distemper?"

"Hm. Don't think so. She's very sharp cognitively. And her tail wags like crazy. But I'm running the test anyways. Help me get another sample?" 

Jinhwan nodded and did so before putting the pup back in her cage. "I'll just feed Joonie and Jin before I leave."

At hearing their names, four small ears poked up from a ball of floof in the waiting room. The two office cats quickly made their way over as they heard food clink into their bowls. 

"Be safe getting home." Taehyung walked out of his office where he'd been on the phone. Lazily, he wrapped his arms around Jimin's waist. "Do you have to make any stops tonight?"

"Just to the store." Jinhwan smiled at the two doctors before waving goodbye. He didn't know how they managed to work together despite being married and not drive each other crazy. 

Settling into his car, he sighed as his heated seat kicked in and warmed his sore muscles. 

~

"Home," Jinhwan opened the door to his apartment and tiredly dropped his grocery bags in the doorway. 

Foot steps echoed down from his small living room and huge hands picked up half of the bags to carry them to the kitchen while he followed behind with the rest. 

In the cramped kitchen, the groceries were quickly put away and a pot of coffee started before he was being pulled away to his small couch. 

"Why didn't you come to school today?" Jinhwan asked in a quiet voice as he was pulled close against a muscular chest. 

"Sick." Was the deep-voiced reply. 

"Oh? Sick? Or just too hungover?" Jinhwan turned to look at the tall boy behind him. "Or, perhaps, there wasn't anything physically wrong with you. Perhaps, you were just too busy ing around. There's lipstick on your collar and you reek of perfume."

There was silence. 

"Say something, Junhoe."

"What do you want me to say?" The taller's voice was deeper than normal. "I won't lie to you."

Jinhwan sighed and leaned back against the other's chest again. He closed his eyes and took a moment to revel in Junhoe's warmth. 

"I don't know." He finally admitted, voice as small as he felt. "What are we even doing? Wh--"

Junhoe's lips pressed against his own. Before Jinhwan could respond though, the younger pulled away. 

"Coffee's done. You take it with cream and no sugar, right?"

Jinhwan nodded meekly. He really didn't know how Taehyung and Jimin managed it. 


And with this we start with one of those archs I was talking about, as well as meet a few new faces. 

I honestly really love putting them in there. It doesn't have to be them, but it's fun. Can you find them all?

A small side note. I'm thinking of maybe getting a cover done for this story at some point. Anyone have any suggestions on who I should ask about that? It probably won't be something I do for a while, but I thought I'd ask. 

I'm going to try to update again later today, but if not then I will this weekend. 

Love,

Ink