Chapter 1

Leave Only Footsteps

Chanwoo padded quietly across the wooden floor. He shivered. The floor was freezing beneath his feet. 

"Mrow!" Little paws pittered excitedly behind him, causing the large boy to stop and pick up the small kitten. 

"Good morning Seungri," Chanwoo greeted the small kitten who squirmed in his arms. 

"Nrya!" Another insistent meow made Chanwoo set Seungri down and continue walking to the kitchen, so he could feed the cats. Seungri raced ahead of him, but paused every few steps to make sure his human still followed behind. 

"Nrya!" The meow was repeated as Chanwoo stepped into the kitchen. 

"Okay, okay, I hear you Jiyongie." Chanwoo told the small Siamese before reaching for the cat food. As the food clinked into the bowls, two more cats ran into the room. 

"Good morning Daesungie, Seunghyunie." He greeted the Russian blue and the white Bengal respectively. 

Chanwoo sighed and leaned against the counter. Something bumped against the back of his head. Without looking, he asked, "Aren't you going to eat Youngbae?"

The large, fluffy, brown tabby stared at him for a moment before turning to look at the pantry and then back at Chanwoo. 

"I'm not hungry."

Youngbae didn't move. 

"Really Bae, I'll eat later."

The cat still didn't move. 

Sighing, Chanwoo turned to make himself some toast. When he had finished, he noticed that the stubborn cat had already joined the others. 

A soft purring from the space around his ankles had him smiling as he munched on his toast. He picked up Daesung and moved back into his bedroom, placing the cat on the bed and reaching for his backpack. 

"What do you think?" He asked the blue cat. 

Brown eyes sparkled back at him happily as the cat purred loudly. Chanwoo nodded and ran his fingers through the soft fur, trying to calm himself. 

It didn't surprise him when Seunghyun was suddenly on the bed, the white cat couldn't seem to stay away from the blue for very long. What did surprise him was the time when he looked at his clock. 

"Ah shoot. I gotta go. Need to get there in time to finish enrolling." He mumbled. "Wish me luck guys." 

~

Chanwoo shivered miserably in his thin jacket. Around him other teens happily grouped up and mingled. 

Normally, Chanwoo arrived just in time to finish enrolling and find his first class on his first day at a new school. However, this time his enrollment had gone abnormally quickly, and the overly-friendly principal had pushed him outside to "make some new friends."

"Hey! Are you new?" A boy suddenly popped up in front of Chanwoo, causing him to stumble back in shock before nodding. 

"Cool! What grade?" The boy smiled brightly. 

"F-freshman," Chanwoo managed to stutter quietly. 

"Really? How fun! Need help finding class? Let me see your schedule!" The boy talked very quickly, but scanned over Chanwoo's schedule carefully. 

"Oh! We have the same first hour! How fun! I'm Donghyuk by the way, a junior. And yeah, we have class together! Our school is kinda different, all of our electives and some of the more advanced core-classes are mixed grade so you can meet all kinds of people! It's really great for making friends~!" 

Chanwoo had been wondering about it. He wasn't terribly sure about the making friends but though. 

The boy, Donghyuk, continued to talk as they reached the classroom. 

When they walked in the door, a group of four boys turned to look at them. Donghyuk smiled and waved at them. "Those are my friends," he explained to Chanwoo. 

Oh. Right. 

Chanwoo supposed that this was his queue to bug off then, and quickly scanned to room for a quiet place to sit. He was about to make his way over there when suddenly there was a hand on his arm tugging him towards the group of boys. 

"Hey guys! This is a new student. He's a freshman, so I figured that since he doesn't seem to know anyone he can sit with us!"

What?!

Chanwoo felt alarmed. Sit with them?!

"Uhm, Donghyuk?" One of the four boys interrupted cautiously. "Two things. One, did you ask him? He looks terrified. Two, you forgot to tell us his name."

Donghyuk bit his lip and turned to Chanwoo. "You'll sit with us, right? And uhm,  what's your name?"

A boy with squinty eyes howled with laughter. "You forgot to ask him for his name?!"

"Bobby~" Donghyuk whined. 

"Chanwoo. I'm Chanwoo," he spoke quietly, half hoping no one would head him over Donghyuk and the laughing boy. 

However, the boy closest to him nodded at his words and quickly stood up, causing the other two to fall silent and stare at him. "He said his name is Chanwoo."

And then he sat down again. 

The first boy who had spoken scoffed. "Not going to introduce yourself? Fine then, I will."

He smiled kindly at Chanwoo. "I'm Yunhyeong, a junior. The rude-one-who-won't-introduce-himself is Hanbin. The hyena over there is Jiwon. Or Bobby. He answers to both. They're both juniors too. The short one is Jinhwan, a senior. And--" he stopped and looked around. "Is Junhoe not coming today?"

"Who knows?" Jinhwan snorted before glaring at Yunhyeong playfully. "And don't call me short. I'll break your kneecaps." 

"Well, you can meet Junhoe later then. He's a sophomore." Yunhyeong finished. 

Chanwoo nodded, trying his best to memorize the names and faces, of only so he wouldn't embarrass himself later. 

Thankfully, Chanwoo was spared from anymore conversations as the bell rang and his first day began. 


Alrighty! Here we go! 

Sorry again for being late with this, I'm really trying my best. 

There is something I should clarify. The cats can not talk. I'm trying to make this realistic. I've worked with animals my whole life though, so even if they don't speak, I can tell you that they're very intuitive and will respond to tones and gestures, which is what you see happening here. 

Theres also no real reason that the cats are Big Bang other than I really wanted to sneak them in here somehow. Don't worry. I'll do it with some of my other faves too lol. ;)

Hope I'll see you soon!

Love,

Ink