Strategy

Secret of the Eastern Sky 동쪽 하늘 의 비밀

When Kyungsoo visits the noblemen residence to prepare a meal for the crown prince, he gets pull aside by Yoona. Seeing the troubled look upon Yoona’s face is throwing Kyungsoo off. She moves towards her objective to get rid of the questioned look on Kyungsoo’s face.

 

“All the maids are gossiping about you. At first they were jealous because you’re working for the crown prince, but now they’re saying you’re trying to seduce the crown prince. I’m afraid you will end up like Soojung."                                                                                                                                                               

 

Soojung is still in prison, probably going through many tortures because of her scandal with the 4th prince. Kyungsoo abruptly realize the trouble he would get into if he ends up like Soojung. He won’t see his family or the crown prince ever again.

 

“I’m not seducing the crown prince though. I’m just his maid.”

 

“To be fair, they are also envious of you so they’re just causing trouble. As long as nothing really happens, they cannot do anything to you. You are now one of the highest maid here because you’re serving the crown prince, so they shouldn’t give you any trouble.”

 

There was a silent pause while Kyungsoo tries to arrange his messed up thoughts. They were in a secluded corner and no one is occupying the space to eavesdrop. He takes a heavy breath and holds Yoona’s hand, “Y-You’re my closest friend and I don’t really want to keep any secrets from you…”

 

“What is it? Is something wrong?”

 

“There is nothing between the crown prince and I, but I happen to be really fond of him. I know it’s foolish and that I am in absolutely no position to like him but I…” suddenly thinking of how lowly he is, a tear slides down his cheeks, “Who am I kidding right? I’m a maid. He’s the crown prince and soon will be the emperor. This is ridiculous.” Kyungsoo didn’t realize how desperate he sounded until he spoke the words out loud. It was such a ridiculous thought of his.

 

It was hard to read Yoona’s expression but she pulls Kyungsoo in for a hug, “Soo-yah I hope the crush of yours will fade. You’re my best friend and I don’t want to see you in the same situation as Soojung. Also don’t forget about the fact that they might torture you even more if they find out about your gender.”

 

She wipes away Kyungsoo’s tears and let Kyungsoo cry on her shoulder.

 

Why is love so painful?

 

-----

 

“Why would you say something so utterly ridiculous in front of the high official’s? Some of them are just waiting for the right moment to steal the throne. It is not just your brothers that you should be afraid of, it is everyone around you. In this palace you should always be careful of what you say and do, now that you’re the crown prince, everyone’s eyes are on you.”

 

It isn’t a good time to hear his mother's lecture, and as a matter of fact, his mind is elsewhere. Thoughts of his beautiful maid, Soo is not only beautiful but she was such a pure soul. There hasn’t been one person who has made Chanyeol feel this way.

 

There is something there, something that wasn’t there before.

 

-----

 

While Kyungsoo is in the kitchen preparing the meal for the crown prince, he feels a presence shove him. He tries to gain back his balance and looks at the two maids that just push him. They look at him and move closer to touch his hair, making him feel uncomfortable with the smirk upon their face, “Look at you. You have gotten prettier ever since you upgraded to serving the crown prince. What do you do for him? Just serve him or try to seduce him like Soojung did to the 4th prince?”

 

Kyungsoo tries to move away from them so he can take the tray of food to the crown prince. The crown prince must be studying at this time and he tends to get hungry, Kyungsoo didn’t want to make him upset. The more he tries to move away, the more the two gang up on him.

 

“Don’t think you are better than us because you been promoted. You’re still a maid and forever will be one.” One girl pushes Kyungsoo hard causing the tray of food to flip and splash all over Kyungsoo’s robes. Kyungsoo feels humiliation wash all over him and before he could say anything, he hears an angry voice from behind.

 

“What do you two think you are doing?”

 

“Y-Your highness” the two maids drop on the floor when they see Jongin’s angry face.

 

Jongin is fuming with anger and he didn't even have time to compose himself, he calls the palace guards in. “I want you to tie them to the pole and hit them 20 times.”

 

“Rest assured your highness.” Before the guards could drag out the two maids, Kyungsoo reaches for Jongin’s arm without thinking.

 

“Your highness, please don’t punish them. I am truly fine. Please spare them your highness, I am not worth it.” Kyungsoo’s voice is desperate. He has never seen Jongin this angry but Jongin does seem like he has a soft spot for him because Jongin calms down right away.

 

He touches Kyungsoo’s face making Kyungsoo flinch. “You’re truly fine?”

 

“Y-Yes, your highness.”

 

Jongin looks at the two maids, “You may rise. I am letting this go today but if I see this kind of incident again, your punishment will be more severe.”

 

“Thank you your highness” the two stutters, their lips were pale from the fear surrounding them.

 

“You should be thanking Soo.”

 

“Thank you Soo” they say in unison. 

 

When Jongin takes Kyungsoo’s hand and leads him out, everyone in the kitchen takes a breath again.

 

“Who knew that poor man daughter would have such an affect on the prince. I guess the 4th prince moved on from Soojung.” One of the girl rolls her eyes, “that humiliation I felt earlier from thanking that worthless trash, I will not let her get away with this.”

 

-----

 

“May I ask where are you taking me your highness?” Kyungsoo stutters when he feels that the 4th prince is being too kind to him. When he first got to the palace, all he wanted to do is lay low and not get noticed. Now he is definitely causing too much unwanted attention and it is a sign that dark clouds are coming his ways.

 

Jongin brings Kyungsoo to a field hidden within the depths of the palace. There were many flowers and even a small boat in the pond. Kyungsoo is amazed by the beauty of the place because as a maid, he didn’t get to explore a lot and stayed in the area he was assigned to. Jongin takes Kyungsoo’s hands and makes Kyungsoo sit beside him on the fields.

 

“This place is beautiful your highness.” Kyungsoo’s eyes scan the place to make sure it will be engrained in his memories of the good things about the palace.

 

“You’re beautiful.”

 

Kyungsoo looks at the grass to ignore Jongin’s eyes. “Y-Your highness, you’re the only one that knows about my secret, y-you should know I’m anything but beautiful.”

 

Jongin didn’t look convince. He wants to embrace the smaller in his arms but doesn’t want to scare Kyungsoo at the same time. He used to like Soojung like this, but now that she is in prison and away from his sight, the feeling has faded. Now he finds himself falling for another maid, one that was completely unexpected.

 

“Because I know your secret, I find you even more beautiful. I’m not like the other princes, and especially not like the crown prince, I would never judge you.”

 

“The crown prince is really kind to me. He took me out of the palace and even met my father. He spent time at the village I grew up in and-” Kyungsoo bows when he feels like he has said too much because the look on Jongin’s face isn’t a happy look.

 

“Did you tell him that you’re a boy?”

 

“N-No I-”

 

“You shouldn’t tell him. The minute he knows, you will be severely punished and will lose your life. The crown prince is caring to you now but you don’t truly know him.” Jongin could see that he is making Kyungsoo uncomfortable so he presses on, “you saved him from being ambushed so he feels indebted to you, soon that will fade and he will show his true colors. All the crown prince wants is the throne, which is why everyone suspected he along with the 2nd prince has planned our first brother murder.”

 

Jongin feels a sense of success when he sees fear in Kyungsoo’s face.

 

Checkmate.

 

-----

 

That night Kyungsoo walks to the crown prince residence and when he gets in, he expected the crown prince to be asleep but instead he was greeted with a very angry crown prince. He has seen the crown prince angry before, but at Empress Park, this time it was directed at him.

 

“Y-Your highness…” Kyungsoo bows.

 

“Where were you? I was told you would bring me food and I waited. I didn’t even let anyone else bring it for me because I expected you to come. Are you neglecting your duties as a maid for me?” Chanyeol raises the tone in his voice.

 

Kyungsoo cannot believe he has forgotten. It was because of the mishaps earlier in the kitchen and the 4th prince helping him that he completely forgot about the crown prince.

 

He kneels on the floor, “Your highness I deeply apologize. Earlier the 4th prince wanted to speak with me and-”

 

Kyungsoo doesn’t get to finish and instead he feels Chanyeol’s hands on his shoulder, grabbing him.

 

“What did I tell you before about the 4th prince? I told you to stay away from the 4th prince because of what happened with his previous maid. I don’t want you in his affairs and I told you to heed my orders. You completely disregarded me and went against my words!”

 

Tears were forming in Kyungsoo’s eyes and he shivers in Chanyeol’s hold. He couldn’t defend himself because he couldn’t, he is a piece of lint.

 

“I have been studying all day, dealing with government matters and trying my best to act the role of the crown prince. Do you know how hard it is to do that without thinking of you and how you’re doing? I was afraid something happened to you, I sent out the eunuch to look for you and when he couldn’t find you, I couldn’t focus on my task. I had to act my part instead of frantically running around because people would say I do not deserve to be the crown prince. I would have everyone against me all because I care so much for you!”

 

Chanyeol’s words makes Kyungsoo surprised but Chanyeol continues, “Right now I should be even angrier at you. You couldn’t even perform your duties as my maid and you were out with the prince I warn you not to be out with! But I also can’t get angry at you because I’m also glad you are alright. What are you doing to me?” Chanyeol lets go of Kyungsoo’s shoulders and drops on the floor, he is exhausted. He looks at the floor with the most defeated look upon his face, “I can’t do this. I can’t perform my duties. How can I ever be the emperor? I am a joke.”

 

Kyungsoo crawls over to Chanyeol and slowly place his shaking hand on Chanyeol’s back. “I believe in you, your highness. You will be the best emperor in history. Please don't give up and I will also try to make you less upset by my reckless behaviors.”

 

Chanyeol turns and takes Kyungsoo’s hand startling Kyungsoo, “Will you be by my side when I become emperor?”

 

“Y-Yes, your highness. As long as you don’t push me away, I would love to be by your side and serving you.”

 

Chanyeol feels contempt with just that.

 

-----

 

The emperor is getting older and he knows his time is coming soon. Everyone in the palace is prepared for what will happen. Some are sadden but some are worried, they are running out of time to take the throne.

 

“Mother, I need to do something quick. Chanyeol will soon be the emperor! We can’t let that happen. If he is emperor, we will lose a lot of authority over his family” Woobin frantically prances back and forth in the room. “How can we kill him before the emperor?”

 

Joohyuk watches in the sidelines as his mother and Woobin puts their head together to come up with another scheme. To him, this is all wrong. They are brothers but they’re throwing it aside just for a throne, even killing one another.

 

Suddenly, the eunuch comes in and bows, “Your highness, the 4th prince wants to enter.”

 

Empress Kim looks at Woobin with ‘a what could he possibly want’ face.

 

Jongin sends the eunuch out and then takes a seat arrogantly. Woobin is starting to get sick of his attitude and how he is disrespecting their hierarchical system.

 

“Chanyeol will be emperor soon and yet you haven’t made any good plot.”

 

Empress Kim and Woobin’s face turns pale. “What are you talking about Jongin?”

 

Jongin laughs, “You can’t possibly think I’m stupid right? I know you been wanting to take the throne from Chanyeol. You are just horrible at planning. Right now think about it, who does Chanyeol care about other than his mother?”

 

Woobin and Empress Park looks at each other and neither could come up with an answer. Joohyuk is just surprised that Jongin is also in on this, everyone in this palace really isn’t trustworthy.

 

“See this is why you’re one step behind. If you can’t touch his mother or him because of their status, why don’t you scoop lower and possibly find an easier target?”

 

“Stop messing around and just spill it Jongin.” Woobin is losing his temper. 

 

Jongin laughs in a menacing tone. “I’m talking about his maid you fool.”

 

-----

 

A/N: It has been a long time but I am back~ I am sorry for the wait but I hope you enjoy this chapter and that it isn't confusing~ Thank you for your comments ^^