Strange attraction

Secret of the Eastern Sky 동쪽 하늘 의 비밀

Jongin comes bursting through the door, meeting a frightened Kyungsoo who tries his best to retreat to cover himself with the blanket. The sky darkens outside as the dense tension electrifies the air in the room. Jongin refrains himself emotion wise so he doesn’t get angrier when he sees the figure that is petrified and unable to move.

 

The words of the physician still remain in his head. “Your highness, the maid, isn’t a female.”

 

Jongin remembers the blood covering the cloth that the physician had to bring out, so slowly he softens his exterior. The boy has been through a lot. “You’ve committed a deadly crime.”

 

A shiver rolls up Kyungsoo’s spine, the fear is bleeding through his tensed nerves, and he uses the last amount of energy he has to get off the bed and kneel on the floor. “Your highness, there is nothing I can say to exempt my wrongdoings, please punish me.”

 

When Jongin moves closer, Kyungsoo assumes that maybe the prince wants to kill him right now, he closes his eyes and wait for the torture, but instead the prince helps him up. “Do you mean that? Right now I’m allowing you to live. Later, I want you to tell me why is it that you have the courage to do something like this. For now, I want you to rest.” Jongin carefully helps Kyungsoo back on the bed, while Kyungsoo big doe eyes wouldn’t pull away from Jongin.

 

There was something about the maid that intrigues him and he is yearning to know more about him. There is this inviting warmth about him that draws Jongin in whenever he looks into his eyes. Even dressed up as a girl like this, his beautify radiates and blossoms as if he were a beautiful flower.

 

Also, this maid could be the key to cracking Chanyeol.

 

“I commanded the physician to keep the secret, so for now you are safe, don’t worry so much and get some rest. I must warn you though, do not let the crown prince find out about this, figuratively speaking, he would be the person that is most likely to condemn your death because you have lied to him.”  

 

“Thank you for your benevolence your highness.” Kyungsoo wants to sit up and bow but instead, Jongin leans over and touches his face. It makes Kyungsoo startle, his eyes turning rounder and he feels paralyzed.

 

“You have an essence that makes me want to protect you. I know you have probably gone through many hardships to result to this. I would like to hear more about it when you are healthy again.” Jongin brushes Kyungsoo’s long bangs out of his eyes and stands up. “I must leave now, rest well.”

 

“I’m grateful for your concern, your highness. Please also rest well.”

 

Kyungsoo has done something forbidden, something that could have caused his whole family generation to die, but for now, he feels that it could be pushed aside. A gentle breeze was heard outside and Kyungsoo smiles to himself. All the rumors about how scary the royal family were wasn’t true. He just met a very kind prince. The happiness was hard to contain and his outlook on people gradually changed.

 

-----

 

In the central throne, there were whispers across the hall about the chaos yesterday. Empress Kim shivers in her seat, everyone is patiently waiting for the emperor to arrive. Chanyeol taps on Jongin’s shoulder and Jongin turns around, Chanyeol leans over and whisper, “Regarding my maid, is she fine?””

 

“We can talk about this later hyungnim,” Jongin advises. Within all his years of knowing his brother, he has never seen his brother worry about someone like this. Most of the time Chanyeol is always off practicing martial arts and keeping everything to himself, now Jongin is marveled at the slight personality change from his dear brother.

 

“The emperor has arrived” the eunuch announces. Everyone silences and keep their heads down as the emperor enters the throne hall.

 

These trivial things are usually discussed privately at the council hall, but since everyone was present at the event yesterday, the situation has become much bigger.

 

“I know you are all here to discuss yesterday’s commotion, I am also furious and would like to know what happened.”

 

The guard bows his head, “Your majesty, all the assassins were killed off so we have no way to trace down their leader.”

 

Mumbles could be heard through the throne hall but it comes to a sudden halt when the high official speaks up, “Your majesty, forgive me for what I’m about to say, but the only one that could have let those assassins in are from the royal family-”

 

“Enough! What are you trying to say? Are you implying that my sons would do something to harm their brother? Or the empress would?”

 

The high official bows once again, “I apologize for my thoughtless words, your majesty. It just seems I’m not the only one that has derived to this conclusion. As a matter of fact, most of the scholars and officials also thought similar thoughts. The palace is securely closed off with tight security and highly trained guards, about 20 assassins being able to enter is what made us curious.”

 

Woobin looks at his mother and could see the worry looks in her eyes. He glances over at Joohyuk and could also see his brother’s shaking fingers, from knowing who is behind this.

 

“This might be an insane thought, your majesty, but the person who tried to assassinate the crown prince yesterday could have also been the same person that poisoned the 1st prince.” Another official speaks up.

 

Now Woobin could see how furious his mother looks. She might have planned yesterday turmoil but she wasn’t also responsible for the 1st prince death, which was someone else doings. Noticing everyone refusing to speak and the emperor at the loss of words, Chanyeol speaks up.

 

“Right now we shouldn’t point fingers since there are no solid evidence. I will thoroughly investigate this and hopefully reach a conclusion. Your majesty, rest aside, I won’t let the person get away with this.”

 

A broad smile lightens the emperor’s face. “Very well. You are all dismissed.”

 

-----

 

Chanyeol wants to rush to find his maid in the physician complex but instead; he feels his arm getting pulled back. “Why are you in such a hurry? Come on, let’s go to the pavilion.” Baekhyun drags Chanyeol even though the latter is refusing.

 

The six brothers sit around the rounded table while Taeyeon pours tea for them. Every time Chanyeol looks at Taeyeon, he is reminded of his maid that took a blade to his abdomen yesterday because of him.

 

“I cannot believe the officials have the nerve to accuse the royal family earlier.” Baekhyun says, in a not so low voice. “I mean we are practically family. Why would we want to kill each other?”

 

Woobin frame trembles lightly as he chuckles, “You shouldn’t worry so much Baekhyun, even Chanyeol looks like he doesn’t care this moment. His mind is elsewhere.”

 

Baekhyun absentmindedly nods, “Oh yeah! Chanyeol you were almost killed! Why is it that you are not the one that cares about this?”   

 

“I see no use in discussing it without any evidence. I already sent guards to gather anything they might be able to use as evidence. Now if you excuse me, I have other matters to attend to.”

 

When Chanyeol walks away, Baekhyun tilts his head and turns to Joohyuk, “He looks so calm. This is why we aren’t the crown prince, we can’t deal with this.”

 

“Correction hyungnim, you can’t deal with this. Who said I couldn’t?”

 

Baekhyun hits Joohyuk on the head, “You always have your guard down. You even laughed at that maid that offended us.”

                                                                                                                                                                                                                       

Suddenly their conversation becomes amusing. Jongin takes a sip of his tea and looks at Baekhyun, “What maid had the audacity to offend Baekhyun? The prince that has doesn’t have a filter and says whatever is on his mind?”

 

Baekhyun scoffs, “I don’t know her name but I remember her face. If I see her again, I would recognize her. I need to teach her a lesson.”

 

-----

 

“Your highness” Kyungsoo greets the crown prince right when he sees the crown prince enter his residence. The crown prince grabs his shoulder, startling Kyungsoo, making him take a step backwards.

 

“Why aren’t you resting? You should be in bed. Why did the physician allow you to leave?” 

 

Kyungsoo softly smiles, “Thank you for your concern, your highness, but now that you are worried for me, I feel like I’m fully recovered.”

 

A childlike grin escapes Chanyeol’s lips as he unconsciously pulls Kyungsoo into a hug. Kyungsoo’s eyes widen, trying to keep his breathing under control. Thankfully, Chanyeol pulls away quick, “I’m very happy you are ok. But I order you to rest more. Afterwards, you should tell me what you want as a reward.”

 

“Protecting you is one of my duties, your highness, I need no rewards.”

 

“If you don’t want any rewards, you are making me feel indebted to you. Now tell me, what is it that you really desire?”

 

Kyungsoo looks on the floor and his shoulder quiver, “I know I am in no position to ask this, but I really want to go outside for a day and see my family.”

 

Chanyeol raises a brow and a mischievous smile forms on the corner of his lips, “I will be generous and allow you to me outside. Rest well and be prepared to leave on a trip with me when you are better.”

 

“P-Pardon? D-Do you really mean it your highness?”

 

“I am the crown prince. Why would I lie to you?”

 

Kyungsoo gets on his knees and lowers his head, “Your highness, I owe you my biggest gratitude.”

 

There was a bond forming between them that Chanyeol did not know about. They did not know that this strangling feeling in their throat was only the beginning. Right now, there was no amount of caution the two had to worry about yet.

 

-----

 

There are two ways in which people shoots a target, accuracy and precision. Accuracy is what they are trained to do, but most of the princes (for example, Baekhyun) is more precise, at hitting outside the target. Chanyeol is great at being accurate and precise.

 

Everyone thinks he’s perfect- but that’s the reason he’s always attacked. The higher ups are just waiting for him to mess up. It doesn’t matter great you are, if one mistake, you will be dragged down.

 

“Hyungnim!”

 

Chanyeol turns to see Jisoo standing there with a smile. Jisoo is like Jongin, both are very hardworking and intelligent. But Jisoo radiates innocence like Joohyuk, and that’s what makes Chanyeol adore them the most.

 

“You’re going to practice too?” Chanyeol questions.

 

“Yes. Well I was with Jongin hyungnim but he’s with your maid so I excused myself.”

 

“My maid?” Chanyeol raises a brow. He did not recall knowing Jongin and Soo were close. He’s been too focused on the issues of who is behind the assassination that he hasn’t paid much attention to his maid. He just remembered he promised the maid to take her outside the palace for a day.

 

“Jisoo practice well, I have some things I need to do.”

 

-----

 

Jongin sits facing the pond with Kyungsoo beside him. It took a lot of rejection from Kyungsoo part until he followed Jongin’s command. Sitting by a prince is scary enough, but now having to open up to the prince is another story.

 

He ends up telling Jongin everything, deciding it’s better not to lie to the prince.

 

Jongin didn’t respond immediately as his eyes were glued to Kyungsoo, his chest grew oddly stuffy and for a moment he felt it was hard to breathe. Kyungsoo appearance is absolutely breathtaking. Finally regaining his composer, he clears his throat. “So what is your real name?”

 

“My name is K-Kyungsoo, your highness…” Kyungsoo scrunches his face in embarrassment.

 

Jongin is observant; he takes notice of everything on Kyungsoo’s face. Where his moles are, and how sparkling his eyes were as the sunrays hits it. Kyungsoo tries to look away, feeling the 4th prince gaze on him is too intense, it’s making him feel suffocated.

 

“You’re stunning”

 

Kyungsoo looks at the prince and his eyes widen, “P-Pardon?”

 

“I said you’re stunning. It’s no wonder no one found out about your secret. You’re very beautiful. Don’t worry so much, I won’t say anything.”

 

The moment Jongin wants to lay a hand and brush away the bangs falling on Kyungsoo’s eyes, he hears the eunuch from the side. “The crown prince is here.”

 

Kyungsoo and Jongin stand up from their spot, with Kyungsoo bowing, not meeting the crown prince’s eyes. Chanyeol looks at Jongin and then back at Kyungsoo. He takes in a deep breath and began, “Jongin sorry to bother you, but I need my maid.”

 

“Yes hyungnim, sorry to take her without informing you. We just had a small talk.”

 

Chanyeol nods and then looks at Kyungsoo, “follow me.”

 

Kyungsoo follows behind the crown prince, unsure of what just happened, but the atmosphere earlier seemed so tense. He doesn’t pay attention when the crown prince makes a sudden stop and he bumps into him from the back. His eyes widen, “My apologies, your highness.”

 

Chanyeol turns around, unable to refrain his anger, but also unsure why he felt so angry in the first place. He witnesses himself walking down to the pond with a strange expression, from disappointment, to sadness, to anger. 

 

Kyungsoo’s eyes glues to the crown prince, listening intently as the crown prince speaks.

 

“From now on, I want you to stay at the east palace. Do not wander around. Do not get involve with any of the princes either, especially the 4th prince. Do you know what happened to his previous maid? She’s in the imperial prison right now, hanging onto her small life. The only reason I’m telling you this is because you saved my life, so I feel indebted to you. So do not make me disappointed. If you get into trouble, even though I’m a crown prince, I cannot save you. Heed my orders and don’t get involve in anything.”

 

Kyungsoo stands in silent, this is the first time he has ever seen the crown prince this serious. This revelation is making him go through a whirlwind of emotions. His complexion turns pale because he doesn’t think being close to the 4th prince is bad. The 4th prince is so kind to him, and who is he, a lowly maid to reject the prince?

 

“Do you heed my warnings?”

 

The urgency in Chanyeol’s voice makes Kyungsoo snap back into reality. He nods, “Thank you for your concern, your highness. I do not wish to be a bother for you and will stay out of trouble. I accept your orders.”

 

The shaking voice from his maid makes Chanyeol breathe in a heavy breath. Chanyeol finds it strange that his chest becomes stuffy and warm when he looks at his maid, a feeling he has never felt before. “Follow me, let’s go out and have a little fun.”