Chapter ONE

Miss Mornight
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

January 1 2016

After changing into her pyjamas and a hoodie, Zina headed to her kitchen in search for paracetamol to kill the constant pounding in her head. She also drank three glasses of water, hoping that it would help with what tomorrow would bring. She was going to stay in her room and ride the night out, but the fun she heard downstairs just wouldn't leave her mind.

She followed the sound of two children laughing and found her family in the living room watching the main event of the night on the TV. Her siblings were so entranced with the count down and once it struck twelve they started to jump like crazy. She laughed and sat down next to her mum. It was a superstition from her mum's side of the family that if children jumped at midnight they'd grow. That and to wear spots because circles were 'lucky'. Zina couldn't deny, if she didn't have elephants jumping in her head she'd be jumping with them. But being seventeen already she knew her time was up, and that she'd remain her short height for the rest of her life. Her mum, Mariel, sighed a happy sigh and leaned on Zina's arm before hugging it.

"Happy New Year langga." She smiled up at Zina, clearly doting on her firstborn enjoying the start of the new year.

"Happy New Year ma." Zina took her arm out her mum's embrace and wrapped it around her shoulders which caught the attention of her younger siblings who jumped onto both of their laps.

"Hoi! Calm down, there's enough of me for everyone!" Her mum laughed and wrapped the little children in her warm embrace.

Zina smiled and tapped her pockets for her phone. During the siblings' attack it must've fallen because she later found it on the floor face down. Stealing a glance at her dad, she noticed that he was too busy taking pictures of the TV showcasing the fireworks, she quickly picked it up and sent a prayer of thanks when she saw it hadn't cracked. Noticing the time she suddenly got an idea to text the boy. She couldn't for the life of her remember his name. She didn't even ask for it when he entered his number into her phone. Toni might know if she asked.

Hey! It's midnight-ish! Good morning
and Happy NEW YEAR!!!!
Sent 00:10

She tapped her phone against her lips, worried that he might find her too creepy for texting this. It wasn't weird was it? They were just acquaintances... maybe he'd find her too weird? Not a moment later her phone buzzed with an alert. Wow, he's a fast replier.

LOL HAPPY NEW YEAR!...
Sent 00:10

I'm sorry to say this but whoever gave you this
number must've provided a wrong digit or something...
Sent 00:10

Zina's stomach flipped and her palms started to sweat. She tried to keep from falling, she really did. It wasn't easy. How could she be so stupid? She didn't know what to do. It wasn't like she owed an explanation to the person, but she might've disrupted their New Year's Day celebration. She was too busy staring at the message to realise how much time had passed.

OMG. I am so sorry I seriously thought that you were the guy
I was partying with yesterday. Uhm... Hope you have a good 2016 ^^
Sent 00:15

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter