Wheein From School

Soulmate Count

Wheein was hyper and happy, bouncing around the school grounds with her friends while Moonbyul loomed in the shadows. Scared of the world around her she hid even from herself. 

Wheein was too hyper and it seemed odd and strange to the calm and unusually shy Moonbyul. 

Wheein always sat in the middle of the classroom while Moonbyul herself preferred to sit in the corner in the back. Her round glasses covering her face from  the others glances and stares. 

Wheein however always seemed to have an interest in her. She must have seen something in her because she always tried to talk to her despite Moonbyul's quiet and short answers. 

 

Fast-forward to where Wheein forced Moonbyul to join her to lunch. Though she noticed the taller woman didn't have much of an appetite. 

"You're not a vampire are you?" Wheein teased, a loop sided grin plastered on her face. Moonbyul shook her head and buried her hands in her pockets, looking for something before she finally found a map of pills with she showed the puppy like girl. 

"Antidepressants?" Wheein frowned, now that she thought about it Moonbyul always wore long sleeves and pants no matter how hot it got. 

"Show me your arms" she demanded. Moonbyul shook her head rapidly. No no no, why did I show her?

"Byulyi, I won't hurt you, just show me your arms" Wheein pleaded though there was an underlying firmness to her tone as she spoke. Moonbyul's eyes darted around in the school cafeteria. Looking for a way to escape. A loophole. Wheein didn't let up on her as she had hoped. 

 

They retreated to one of the bathrooms where Wheein convinced Moonbyul to eventually roll up her sleeves to reveal bandages on her arms. Wheein shoot her a worried glance before she ever so gently sneaked a peak under the white fabric. Blood.

Moonbyul backed up against one of the bathroom stalls as if to shield herself. Wheein didn't follow instead she stood rooted in place. Shock still evident in her eyes as she progressed it all. 

"I-I can't make it stop, It's the only thing that makes it stop!" Moonbyul mumbled her voice quick so quick Wheein almost couldn't make out what she was saying. 

"Make what stop?" she pushed herself to ask. 

"The fear, the anxiety, the pain... god everything hurts so much!" Moonbyul's shaky hands gripped her hair tightly. As if covering her ears would make Wheein go away. As if that would make the words she said disappear. 

Wheein didn't know what had gotten into her, but she wrapped her classmate in a tender hug.

Gentle as to not break her but her grip firm to reassure her being here for her. To make Moonbyul understand that she will always be here. 

 

Moonbyul seemed happier with Wheein by her side. More confident even. 

 

But sometimes, Wheein saw the fragility flash in Moonbyul's eyes for a second or two before it was masked and hidden away again. And Wheein realized that some wounds never quite heal.