eight

Let Me Hug You Harder

« chapter eight »

 

•••

 

“Be quiet,” a familiar voice shushed her. “He could be here!”

 

Lisa had never felt so divided between slapping and hugging someone. She stopped struggling and tapped lightly on the hand covering to signal that she understood. When the hand dropped, Lisa whirled around and (lightly) shoved the redhead backward.

 

“You gave me a near heart attack!” Lisa whispered harshly.

 

Chaeyoung had the decency to look abashed. “I’m sorry—”

 

“Was it your brilliant idea to sneak up like that? You could’ve called my name!”

 

Chaeyoung immediately put a finger to Lisa’s lips, effectively shushing her. She scanned the surroundings once (though Lisa doubted how well she could actually see in the dark) before speaking. “He was following me for a while after I lost you ... I didn’t want him to know I was looking for you.”

 

“He found you?” Lisa asked, voice barely a whisper. “Then w-where is he now?”

 

Before answering, Chaeyoung took Lisa’s hand and began to lead them back to the entrance of the park, and Lisa was too shaken at this point to protest even though it would have taken less time to reach the other end of the park from where they were. “Chanyeol helped,” she said, and she laughed at the memory. “I thought he was Junhwe, at first, since he snuck up on me like this, but then we ran all the way back to his car, where Chen had arranged backup.”

 

“So you caught him, then?”

 

Chaeyoung shook her head. “No, he didn’t follow us like we—like I—expected. That’s when Chen told us you weren’t traceable anymore, and we figured out what his plan could be.”

 

Lisa nodded, and then shivered as a sudden breeze hit her. She felt Chaeyoung drop her hand, and when she looked over Chaeyoung was shrugging out of the long coat she was wearing. Not giving Lisa a chance to protest, she draped it over the shivering girl’s shoulders, fastening a few buttons to secure it. “It’s Chanyeol’s ... I think you need it more right now.”

 

Lisa smiled weakly, whispering thanks.

 

She felt warmer now, but she wasn’t sure if it was only because of the coat.

 

«•••»

 

As they approached the park entrance, Lisa recognized the lanky figure with his back turned to them, and understood why they had to walk back in this direction instead of finishing the walk across the park.

 

When he turned around, they were close enough to make out the clear relief on his face.

 

“Oh my god,” Chanyeol said, sprinting to close the remaining distance. Holding Lisa by her shoulders, he scanned her face. “You’re okay.”

 

“Yeah,” Lisa said. With a pointed glance at Chaeyoung, she amended, “Terrified, but okay.”

 

«•••»

 

“So we’re not allowed to go out anywhere anymore?” Lisa asked in disbelief.

 

“That’s fine with me,” Jisoo muttered.

 

“No, that’s not what we’re saying,” Chanyeol said. “It’s just ... it’s not recommended.” He turned to Chen for support, but Chen had his attention fixed to his feet, still pacing the living room of Lisa and Jisoo’s apartment. The detectives had decided that this run-in with Junhwe was a further demonstration of just how desperate he was—though he hadn’t actually done anything, it was clear that if something were to happen, it would not end well (though Lisa thought that had been obvious since the beginning). Lisa understood the rationale, of course, but the idea felt too confining—she hated that Junhwe was doing this to their lives.

 

“But is there no other—”

 

“Okay, wait,” Chaeyoung interjected. She hadn’t spoken a word during the whole meeting, so all eyes—except those of Chen, who continued pacing—turned to her. “It’s still weird.”

 

“What is?” Lisa asked, glad for the topic diversion.

 

“The way Junhwe didn’t follow Chanyeol and me. That isn’t ... it seems ... based on what I know about him, he wouldn’t have just let me go like that.” Glancing at Chanyeol, she added, “If anything ... I thought he’d hurt you.”

 

Chanyeol nodded slowly. “It didn’t fit based on the data from the previous case involving him, either. But I was under the assumption that he knew there would be backup and that he couldn’t take on so many cops?”

 

Chaeyoung shook her head, grimacing. “No ... in Australia, he almost got himself killed by attacking the officers taking me home.”

 

At that, Chen stopped pacing and looked up. “That wasn’t in the information we were sent.”

 

“I don’t know,” Chaeyoung shrugged, “Maybe it was too minor? No one was hurt, but the officers nearly had to shoot him so that they could restrain him.”

 

Chen frowned, and met eyes with Chanyeol. “Then that is certainly alarming,” he said, thinking. “I doubt there’s an external influence since he seems to be quite ... obsessed with Chaeyoung, and it would be hard to control him like that with his mental state.”

 

“But we can’t throw out the possibility,” Chanyeol said, rubbing his eyes. “We’ll need to get a confirmation of this report, then,” he said to Chen, and Chen nodded and started outside, whipping out his phone.

 

Chanyeol looked back to Jisoo, Chaeyoung, and Lisa; the latter two were sharing a blanket, and Jisoo was biting—no, more like gnawing—her lip from anxiety, staring at the door where Chen disappeared.

 

“We can ... we can have officers stationed here overnight, if that’ll help,” Chanyeol said, the suggestion mostly for Jisoo. Then again, Lisa felt like the true horror of what could have happened hadn’t hit her just yet, but she could feel herself at the edge, just barely being held together.

 

“Stationed here? Like outside?” Jisoo asked. Lisa was glad she had spoken—she stopped biting her lip, and Lisa was sure that any more abuse and it would’ve started bleeding.

 

“That’s where it’s up to you,” Chanyeol said, slightly awkward. “We can have them outside but that would make their presence more obvious. Having them inside—as in staying overnight—would be more discreet, but it may also be uncomfortable for you depending on how you would feel about it.”

 

The three girls looked at each other, and then Chaeyoung spoke up, confused. “Wait, what about my house?”

 

“Your house is already covered with security cameras at all times, and there is an officer reserved just for emergency responses there—if there is an actual emergency, more officers will be sent immediately.” He hesitated. “Actually, if we had some officers stationed in the house, it would be safer for Chaeyoung to stay here. We’d have to delegate fewer resources to her house since her family isn’t as great a target right now as ... well, as Lisa.”

 

Lisa gawked at that. “W-wait, what? Me?”

 

Chanyeol nodded. “He targeted Chaeyoung’s grandmother because she was a threat—she took Chaeyoung away from him. Now you seem to be doing the same thing, with the way you helped defend her and yourself when he tried to break in and at the food exhibit.”

 

Sighing, Lisa rubbed her temples.

 

“Honestly,” Jisoo started, “I’m fine with either.” Lisa and Chaeyoung nodded, and Jisoo went on. “But I’d prefer the in-house option ... that would be safer for the officers too, right?”

 

“Yes, actually,” Chanyeol replied, and Lisa noted that he seemed less tense now. “We can arrange that ... well, as early as today if you would like. Chaeyoung can head home or call her parents to notify them.”

 

Chaeyoung nodded slowly and stood up, glancing at Lisa. “I think I’ll stop by home ... I’ll pick up a few clothes and other stuff, too. For a few days at least.”

 

“That’s a good plan. I can drop you off on my way to the station,” Chanyeol offered. “I’ll have to notify the officers anyway, so that they can come over a bit earlier for introductions and get familiar with the house.”

 

«•••»

 

“How are you?” Lisa asked Jisoo as the elder girl moved quickly around the kitchen. Jisoo had forced Lisa to go and take a shower despite Lisa’s offers to help with dinner.

 

“Fine. Worried, but fine.” Jisoo smiled sadly, not looking at Lisa. She took out a cutting board to cut the vegetables she had just washed. “I should be asking you that.”

 

Lisa stepped forward and put a hand over Jisoo’s just as Jisoo was getting ready to cut the vegetables. “I’ll take care of this. Go watch the stove.” Jisoo didn’t protest, but watched Lisa with a strange look before she turned.

 

As Lisa began to chop up the vegetables for whatever Jisoo was making for dinner, Jisoo spoke from where she was at the stove. “How are you?”

 

“Fine—”

 

“And don’t say fine.”

 

Lisa sighed. “I’m okay.” She continued chopping the vegetables.

 

The silence dragged on, growing heavier and heavier.

 

Lisa suddenly felt a wave of emotion hit her. “I’m scared,” she finally said.

 

“Me too.”

 

“For Chaeyoung.”

 

“We all are.”

 

“And me.”

 

“I know—”

 

“And you. And Chanyeol, and the officers, and—”

 

Her hand was suddenly being pried open, and the knife clattered onto the counter. She was turned around, being pulled into a hug.

 

Her hands remained in fists, and she was trembling.

 

“Lisa, it’s okay,” Jisoo said softly, rubbing Lisa’s back. “It’s okay to be scared.”

 

And finally, Lisa broke down and cried.

 

«•••»

 

Luckily, dinner was ready just as the doorbell rang. Lisa volunteered to open the door while Jisoo finished clearing the counter.

 

Checking to see who it was, she opened the door nervously. Behind Chaeyoung and Chanyeol were two new officers, who she hadn’t seen in the aftermath of either of the previous incidents related to Junhwe. Lisa stepped aside to let them in, bowing in greeting.

 

She led them into the living room just as Jisoo was coming toward the door. Lisa sighed in relief—Jisoo was better able to handle such introductions, and she made it clear by immediately giving the officers directions as to where they could place their coats and then leading them to one of the guest rooms, with Chanyeol following.

 

Lisa then walked over to where Chaeyoung was still standing with her bag. “Come on, let’s go to my room.”

 

«•••»

 

They introduced themselves over dinner.

 

The new officers were both easily a head shorter than Chanyeol, though that was where their similarities ended.

 

The first one had a heart-shaped face with soft features and dark, reddish hair that fell into his eyes. He was slim and petite, and his personality seemed to be very bright and cheerful—he would not stop talking. Chanyeol seemed to be quite close with him, and Lisa vaguely recalled that his name was Baekhyun (or something along those lines).

 

The second one had black hair that was slicked back and distinctive, heart-shaped lips. Though he also was shorter than Chanyeol, he was definitely bulkier, having broader shoulders and a sturdier build in contrast to Chanyeol’s lanky and awkward self. Having no expression seemed to be his default state, and it was almost frightening. Lisa could feel herself shrink lower in her chair every time he glanced over, but he also had an authoritative air about him—with one glance, he could make Baekhyun (and Chanyeol) effectively shut up, which proved to be useful when the two started going off on a tangent. His name was crystal clear in Lisa’s mind because he was so scary—Kyungsoo.

 

After dinner, both the officers excused themselves to explore the house, and Lisa was thankful that she had cleaned her room only a few days ago. As they walked down the hall, Chanyeol turned to the rest of them.

 

“We’ve rewired your home phones so that they will connect to cell towers, so there’s no need to worry about a power outage cutting the communication. I’ll also give you their numbers because I think they’ll forget ... and I think that’s it. Is there anything else you’ll need?” he asked, glancing at each of them.

 

They all shook their head to say no, and Jisoo answered verbally. “Thank you,” she said, a genuine smile on her face.

 

Chanyeol ducked his head, running a hand through his hair. “It’s just our job.” But there was a light pink tinge to his face when he looked back up.

 

•••


Author’s Note:

ahh i know this is the shortest chapter so far, but exams are coming up T-T

i have both a christmas/new year's present planned right now ... it's probably a oneshot, but not for a pairing in this story. want to guess the pairing? (hint: it will be boy x lisa, and i feel like this is one of the more popular ships?)

anyway, thank you all for your kind comments! i'm glad you all like this story so far, and i hope it'll keep meeting your expectations :-P

lulz did you guys actually think it'd be junhwe behind lisa cuz the story would've been over XD

~ thana