eleven

Let Me Hug You Harder

« chapter eleven »

 

•••

 

It was only when Jisoo slowed down in front of the police station that Lisa realized just what could have been found. Jisoo had said something—that didn’t imply a person.

 

Or at least, Lisa hoped it didn’t, since the way it was worded left little hope.

 

She barely even registered when Jisoo parked the car, and was surprised when the door opened for her. Jisoo held out a hand for Lisa, who gratefully took it, imagining the worst. She had always thought no news was good news, but suddenly the threat of just what kind of news awaited them inside made her skin prickle.

 

As soon as they stepped inside, Chanyeol, who was waiting near the entrance, waved them over. “I think my office is a better place—no prying eyes.”

 

The fact that they were heading into an office room somehow comforted Lisa—it couldn’t be too bad if it could be discussed in a room. But the expression on Chanyeol’s face—or lack of—indicated otherwise; his face was a careful mask of blankness.

 

“What did you find?” Lisa asked as soon as they were seated, unable to hold herself back. Her neck was beginning to ache from how tense her posture was.

 

Chanyeol quickly the computer at his desk and inserted a USB drive. “This was dropped off at your doorstep,” he said, glancing up at Jisoo and Lisa before looking back to his computer. “Kyungsoo found it suspicious, so brought it to the station to have it investigated—you know, just in case. It was a ... a good thing he didn’t tell anyone but Baekhyun and me about it.”

 

Lisa’s brow crinkled together in confusion. “A good thing? Is it something helpful?”

 

Chanyeol hesitated. “Not ... no, not exactly.”

 

He clicked on a file then, and a video popped up. After a quick glance at the door to make sure it was locked, he turned the computer screen so it was easier for Lisa and Jisoo to watch and hit play.

 

It was dark for a few seconds, but it felt like minutes to Lisa. Then there were sounds of a scuffle, and Chanyeol turned the volume up so it was more audible. At that moment, whatever was blocking the camera was removed, and Lisa couldn’t withhold her gasp.

 

It was Chaeyoung.

 

She was alive and well.

 

She was looking straight into the camera. There was something missing in her gaze though, something that sent a chill down Lisa’s spine. Her eyes looked so ... dead.

 

Chaeyoung cleared on camera. “Hello, Lisa,” she said evenly, and Lisa immediately knew that this was being recited. It may have been convincing to anyone else, but this was not the Chaeyoung she knew.

 

“I’m sending this to you since I have no way of contacting you directly. I wanted you to know that I’m doing fine, and that I’ve decided to leave Korea with Junhwe.”

 

Lisa didn’t know if she was imagining things, but she could swear Chaeyoung had choked up when saying Junhwe’s name.

 

“He saved me from those kidnappers, and after that incident I don’t think I’ll be safe in Korea anymore. I’m a danger to those around me, including you and my parents, so I have no other option.” Chaeyoung paused for a moment, seeming to take the time to catch her breath. Her eyes were beginning to shine.

 

“It’s best that you stop wasting your time looking for me. I’m not returning to Korea, and while I’m grateful for our friendship, I’m sorry if I indicated a desire for something m-more.” She cleared quickly. “Thank you for helping me feel at home in Korea, but my home is elsewhere now. Goodbye.”

 

The video ended there.

 

Lisa could only keep staring at what was the last frame—Chaeyoung looking dead into the camera, her eyes almost glistening but face expressionless.

 

Chanyeol closed the file, and then turned to face Lisa and Jisoo, the latter of whom had a hand clapped over , her own tears threating to overspill. Chanyeol calmly pushed a box of tissues toward Jisoo, who sniffled loudly and gave him a faint smile of thanks.

 

“If we had alerted the higher officers about the video,” Chanyeol said, speaking hesitantly while trying to gauge their reactions. “The investigation would most likely have been placed on the back burner.”

 

Lisa’s eyes snapped to his. “But she was clearly being forced to say that,” she said, her voice coming out unnaturally calmly.

 

“True, but since we have no leads as of now but this one, in which she is encouraging us not to look for her. She is also implying that she has run away with Junhwe, and since she is above 18 her parents legally have no say in such actions.” Seeing Lisa’s expression, he added, “We have no intentions of revealing this video, since it was technically addressed to you, and you would probably not have shown us such a file.”

 

With that, he ejected the USB drive and held it out for Lisa, who took it with a trembling hand. She clutched it tightly, making no move to put it in her pocket—the video was still replaying in her mind, and she needed to hold onto the USB drive to remember it was real and not a nightmare.

 

Jisoo recovered faster than Lisa. “Thank you,” she said, her voice strained.

 

Chanyeol only nodded. Before he could say anything else, there was a knock on the door to his office.

 

As Chanyeol got up to unlock the door, Lisa quickly took a few deep breaths and forced herself to relax. From the corner of her eye, she saw Jisoo do the same. Remembering the USB drive in her hand, she shoved it into her pocket just as the door was opened.

 

It was none other than the chief officer had been informed of Lisa and Jisoo’s presence and simply wanted to let them know they were continuing to do everything in their power to help. He didn’t seem to recognize, or maybe chose not to address, Lisa’s slower than usual responses, and soon they were on their way home.

 

When Lisa looked back at the entrance, Chanyeol was leaning against the open glass doors, waving slightly when he caught Lisa’s gaze.

 

«•••»

 

Lisa didn’t know how many times she had watched the video again and again in her room, but when she heard the knock at her door she realized she had been staring at the same paused frame of Chaeyoung’s face for the last few minutes at least. She quickly shut her laptop and pushed it under her pillow before standing up to get the door.

 

“You want anything?” Jisoo asked softly. “Milk? Hot chocolate?”

 

Lisa hesitated, and Jisoo added, “I was planning on making some for myself, so I thought ...”

 

Lisa realized just how hard Jisoo was trying, and it sent a pang through her chest. She nodded, shaking her head slightly to shift her bangs out of her eyes. “Yeah, that—that sounds nice. I’ll be out in a minute.”

 

Jisoo smiled then, and it somehow made Lisa feel even guiltier.

 

Closing the door and heading back to her bed, she opened her laptop again, her hand pausing before she closed out the video player. Shutting her laptop, she took a deep breath and let it out slowly.

 

Her thoughts were running together, too many questions popping up at once, and only one answer that she was sure of: Chaeyoung was alive.

 

The most pressing question, though, was what could be done now.

 

•••


Author’s Note:

i know i promised a quicker update last time, but this time i swear that i'll have the next chapter up over the weekend - i'm traveling for a college visit, so i'll be able to get a lot written on the flight there and back :) let me know what you think about chaeyoung ... any susupicions on what happened? is she telling the truth lol ?

~ thana