Chapter Four: More than Maybe

The Year of the Dragon
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

“No.”

 

“No?”

 

“No.”

“And just what, does ‘No’ mean exactly?” demanded YG, his naturally nasally tone taking on a whole new octave.

“Well generally,” Ji-Yong explained drolly, “It means ‘No’, as in I refuse, not interested, negative etc.”

“This is not funny, Ji-Yong.”

 

“I wasn’t trying to be.” He replied dryly. The last thing Ji-Yong, was feeling at the moment, was amused.

Tablo’s daughter.  Dear Lord. What had he been thinking?

 

To be fair, he admitted, he hadn’t been thinking, not with his brain at least. He hadn’t known he was required to since he hadn’t known it was Tablo’s daughter.

Never in his life had he felt like more of a lecherous old man, which given the fact that he was a still celebrity icon, with more tween fans than EXO had had in their hey day, was quite a feat.

 

“Let’s talk about this rationally.” YG cut in, practically shoving a cup of tea at Ji-Yong, as he sat down in front of him, hands clasped between his knees, as he scrutinized the man before him.
Contrary to popular opinion, G-Dragon, really wasn’t much of a ‘Dragon’ – he was much more like an opinionated child. He was humble and respectful, a rare feat for an Idol of his level, and well known for his generosity. Which among, other reasons was exactly why he’d agreed to allow him to be in charge of Haru’s upcoming album.

It had never occurred to him or Tablo, for that matter that Ji-Yong, would ever refuse.

 

“Ji-Yong-ah, she is exceptionally talented. She deserves a chance to shine, and you could help her – we both know that –“

“Give her to Teddy.” Ji-Yong, suggested calmly. Having finally had his ‘talk’, with him earlier about his plans for the group and the comeback, offering up his most trusted advisor was quite the sacrifice – but one he was willing to make as long as he could get him off his back about her.

The last thing he needed was to be her producer. Day in, day out with a definitely not ‘little’ Haru, especially, after the flood of baser instincts she’d just trigged on stage was not something he was willing to subject himself to.

 

“I can’t,” sighed YG, dejectedly, cradling his face in his palms.

 

“Why not?”

 

“Because that was the deal.” He admitted reluctantly. Ji-Yong’s pointedly arched brow forcing him to elaborate – “Tablo, flat out refused to let her debut. Do you know how many people have been scouting her? SM offered her a separate contract, where she would get to keep over seventy percent of her earnings. SM! And that is just the tip of the iceberg – she’s been scouted back in the States as well – and you know what Tablo said every time? Not a ing chance in hell.”

“Then how, pray tell, did he agree to this?”

“Because of you.” Admitted YG reluctantly, lighting up a cigarette and taking a sharp drag before he elaborated. “Tablo, wasn’t going to let Haru debut at all – I offered to personally oversee her production, and he told me he didn’t trust me as far as he could throw me. “

 

“Smart man.”

“The only producer, he was even willing to consider was you. He trusts you – Haru has been tight with Young Bae for years now, and Tablo knows you. That is the only reason he agreed to this. The deal, is you sign on as her producer, or her debut is off the table.”
 

One long finger carefully tracing the rim of his porcelain teacup, Ji-Yong, looked up and asked almost chillingly, “And this is my problem – how?”



* * *

 

It wasn’t often that Yang Hyun-suk, came out personally to the studio – less so, when it came to delivering bad news. But, For some reason – he was there that morning.

5 A.M. sharp – despite that fact that it was the day after an awards show, and after parties that had lasted well into the wee hours of the night.

 

“Miane, Haru – I know how badly you wanted to work with him. Regardless, you know there is always a place for you here at YG – always.”

Haru smiled, distractedly – well, wasn’t this awkward at all.

To be honest, she wasn’t quite sure what she was supposed to feel – part of her actually felt relieved, because as much as she wanted to work with him, she’d also been terribly afraid of falling short in his estimation. She wondered briefly if she already had, and if that was why he’d refused to train her.
 

Her confidence wavering ever so slightly for the first time in years, she found herself asking YG, as he turned to leave, “Did he say why, Samchon?”

 

Only to have him, turn back ever so slightly, before he shook his head reluctantly, while seemingly distracted by something on his phone.
 

“I see. Well, thank you, for trying.” She added, swiftly, looking down as she executed a perfect bow, while biting down furiously on her lower lip. This, was not how she had seen things going.

“But...”

 

But?

A soft ping, resonated through the empty practice room. It was her phone she realized, her hand automatically going to her back pocket.

 

5-27 Gisan-ri Ildong-myeon, Pocheon

 

 

Only to look back up at him as she realized who the message was from.


“Maybe you should ask him.” He suggested, giving her an encouraging smile as he ducked out.

Maybe she would.

 

 

5-68 Gisan-ri Ildong-myeon, Pocheon

Seungri’s Penthouse.



It’d been a long journey.

Sometimes, he’d wondered if it would ever end. Hell, sometimes he’d even wished it would.

He’d considered relocating to Japan permanently at one point. Like Daesung Hyung, had. It would have made sense – in terms of his solo career, much like D-lite,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter