The Surprise

A REVENGE

CHAPTER 4

 

 

Jiyong knew by heart what was in the package. He had looked at it a million times since the day he received it. Once again, as if to torture himself, he pulled the contents out and read it.

 

 

“Petition for Divorce between Kwon Jiyong and Kim Taeyeon. Petitioner: Wife.”

 

 

*Flashback*

 

 

“Sir.” Hyoyeon timidly added, “I think the package is from your wife.”

 

Jiyong immediately scrambled out of his chair and rushed outside his office, closely followed by Seunghyun.

 

“Where’s the package?!” Jiyong demanded, as soon as he saw the messenger. He immediately signed for the package and ripped it open.

 

Seunghyun, still not fully understanding what had happened, watched astounded as the papers fell from Jiyong’s lifeless hands. He immediately went to pick them up and saw that it was a petition for divorce from his sister. Then, he turned and looked at Jiyong who was just standing there, looking as white as a sheet.

 

“I think we have to talk. Let’s go back to your office.” Seunghyun had to help Jiyong walk back to the office. After making Jiyong sit down, he helped himself to some strong drink from Jiyong’s supply.

 

“Here, drink this.” Seunghyun gave a glass of soju to Jiyong and drank some himself.

 

Jiyong regained some color after a shot of soju, “Want some more?” Seunghyun asked, as he poured more alcohol in his own glass. Jiyong shook his head and took the documents that Jiyong had placed on the desk. He felt numb all over as he re-read the heading. Then, he leaned back and closed his eyes as he rested his head on the back of his chair.

 

“I think you have some explaining to do.” Seunghyun started. Then, his mind reeled as he looked at Miyoung’s picture, “You bastard, tell me you didn’t do what I think you did!” He stood up to get to Jiyong but then, something about Jiyong’s demeanor stopped him, ‘This doesn’t make any sense.’ He thought to himself, ‘This guy looked too sad and depressed over losing Taengoo.’

 

Jiyong finally opened his eyes, “You can beat me up if you want. I deserve it for what I did.” He said tiredly, wishing that Seunghyun would hit him or something, anything to stop the deadness he’s feeling inside right now.

 

Seunghyun took another look at Jiyong and said, “Just tell me what happened.”

 

Jiyong sat straight up and started telling the story. After everything was said, he clutched his stomach as another surge of pain attacked him. Seunghyun saw this and automatically, handed Jiyong the medicine he had spotted on the desk.

 

“And now you don’t know where my sister is?” Seunghyun stated.

 

“No. I’ve been looking all over for her. This.” As Jiyong held the divorce documents up, “Is the first contact I’ve had since she left.”

 

“You are in love with my sister, aren’t you? Your plan of revenge backfired.” Seunghyun was looking at Jiyong with pity. Suddenly, he yelled, “What’s wrong with your family?! First, your sister assumed that I left her, now you go on this revenge scheme without checking all the facts out! You know what; I really do feel sorry for you! I hope my sister is fine and I hope that you continue to suffer!”

 

Jiyong looked at Seunghyun with defeated eyes, “You’re right. All this is my doing. Yes, I really love your sister. It all started with revenge in mind, by the time I realized what a special person Taeyeon is, it was too late to change anything. That’s why I wanted us to get married right away. I was hoping that by the time Taeyeon finds out the truth, she would already be convinced that I truly love her and would understand. This is all a mess and it’s my entire fault.”

 

From that moment on, the two men formed an uneasy bond, both trying their best to find Taeyeon.

 

*End of Flashback*

 

 

A knock on his bedroom door brought Jiyong back to the present, “What is it?”

 

“Sir, Mr. Kim is here to see you.” The maid answered.

 

Jiyong’s heart started to pound as he rushed towards the living room. He recalled his last conversation with Junsu.

 

“What do you mean she got spooked and went into hiding again?!” Jiyong roared at Junsu.

 

“Mr. kWON, our plan of finding out where your wife is through her divorce lawyer failed. Something tipped her off and she never contacted the lawyer again.”

 

“You incompetent fool! Don’t ever contact me again, unless you find my wife, do you hear me?”

 

That was over five agonizing weeks ago and now the detective was here, “Oh please, let them have some good news.”

 

“Good morning, Mr. Kwon.” Junsu greeted politely.

 

Jiyong ignored the usual pleasantries, “Have you found her?” He anxiously asked.

 

“We have a very good lead right now. A person matching your wife’s description was reported going to see a doctor in Kuwait. Based on all the facts presented, we are pretty sure that it’s your wife. She had changed her name which is another reason why it was so hard to find her.”

 

“What doctor? What’s wrong with her?” Jiyong felt fear coursing through his veins.

 

“We have not been able to get any further information from the doctor’s office but the doctor is a gynecologist. We think she might be pregnant.”

 

‘His Taengoo pregnant?Jiyong had to sit down as his knees were too weak to hold him up any longer, “Find out where she lives right away and don’t you dare foul things up this time or I swear I will sue you and make sure you guys could never ever work in this country again.”

 

 

~

 

 

Eight days later, Jiyong was on his private jet heading towards Kuwait. Anxiety gnawed him as he stared blankly out of the window. After all these months, he finally found his wife, his pregnant wife. He automatically reached for his antacids when his ulcers acted up again. Lately, it seemed that he ate more of those pills than any regular meals.

Pregnant. He couldn’t believe it. He had been so careful, except for that first time. Then, he chuckled silently to himself, “Once is enough, you know that, don’t you?” He shook his head and told himself, “Don’t lose it now, you’re so close to seeing Taeyeon again.”

 

A fresh wave of apprehension hit him as he thought about his mother and sister. His mother died giving birth to his half-sister while his sister died because she was pregnant. What if something happened to Taeyeon because of his carelessness? Then, he thought of what she said, ‘No wonder you didn’t want to have a baby with me’, ‘Oh Taeng, if only you knew. I would be ecstatic to have a baby with you but I just couldn’t bear the possibility of losing you.’

 

Hours later, Jiyong was finally ringing the doorbell at Taeyeon’s apartment. When Taeyeon didn’t open her door right away, a vision of Miyoung’s dead body in the bathtub flashed through Jiyong’s mind. He started panicking, “Calm down.” He told himself.

 

“Maybe she’s just resting.” Junsu had confirmed that Taeyeon didn’t come out of her place since yesterday. Jiyong pressed the doorbell longer this time and started to pace restlessly in front of the door.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The door opened. Time seemed to stop for both of them. They stood motionless, just looking at each other. Jiyong started trembling; all he wanted to do was take Taeyeon in his arm and never let her go again.

 

“Ji…Jiyong Oppa?”

 

“Hello Taeng.”