2/2

Underneath the Bleachers

Jeongyeon POV:


 

Hair. Check. Breath. Check. Perfume. Check. Nice clothes. Check. Phone. Check. Wallet. Check. Good looks and charms. Double check. Ok. What else would I need?

 

I look around my room once more. Deciding that I have everything that I need, I go down the stairs and announce to anyone that was in the house that I was about to leave. I then walk out the door and to the direction of Mina’s house. I send her a quick text telling her that I am now on my way as I continue my stroll, the lovely evening breeze caressing my face, calming me down. I have been anxious all day, about not knowing what may happen later on.

 

What if something goes wrong? What if she doesn’t like what I’ve planned? What if she doesn’t like my weird company? I mean of course I would be weird. Like who ever has the chance to take out one of the hottest girls in the school, who of which has been their crush for several years, and now also knows that said crush also likes them back? Well apparently me. I have that chance. So I can’t mess this up, not one bit.

 

And before I know it, I’m turning around the corner to her house. She’s stood out front waiting for me. And I am speechless. I have said this time and time again, but wow, Mina is so beautiful. Without her knowing, as she hasn’t actually seen me yet, I take a picture of her. She looked as if she belonged in a movie, the streetlamp illuminating her already defined features, giving it a slight orange glow, as she looked up at the darkening sky. I would treasure this masterpiece forever.

 

I call her name and jog up to her as she then turned her head to face me.

 

“Hey..”

 

“Hi.”

 

“Are you ready to go?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“Alrighty then. Let’s get going.”

 


 

I love Mina, I’m just gonna say it straight, I love her. Meaning I would also love being with her, of course I would, but right now it’s a bit nerve wracking as not a word has been said ever since we had left her house. I glance over at her for the nth time, only to see her take a peek at me too. We held the gaze for a few moments, until she looked away, both of us giggling at our own awkwardness.

 

I pointed across the road to the nearby convenient store and tilted my head in its direction,

 

“How about we get some ice-cream and just take a walk around the park for a while?”

 

“Yeah, that sounds nice.”

 


 

After buying some ice-cream, we then walk around the park for a while, just basking in each other’s presence and the small distance between us.

 

“Sorry. I’m just so nervous, I don’t know what to say to you. This is the first date and I’m determined to make it perfect for you.” I said while looking down slightly to try and hide my oncoming blush.

 

“You don’t have to. Just you being here with me, makes this perfect enough already.”

 

At this point, no matter how hard I try, I can’t hide my blush any longer. And it seems that neither can she. I smile at that.

 

Even though we had finished our ice-cream, we continued to converse whilst walking on seemingly with no direction in mind. (I obviously knew where we were heading, but she didn’t need to though) This was the first time that I have ever heard her talk this much at a time, and I couldn't stop myself from asking her a lot of random questions just so that I could hear her lovely voice even more. I also got to know her a lot better with all the dumb questions I kept spouting out, like how she was actually born in America, or how she really really loves ketchup, or how the reason she’s so good at cheerleading is partly because she’s been doing ballet for 11 years. And of course I talked about myself as well, because if I didn’t, it wouldn’t be fair if I knew so many things about her amazing self while she didn’t know a thing about me.

 

“Umm.. so we’ve just been wandering around for a while now and not that it’s boring or anything but I’m just curious as to where we’re going.”

 

“Hmm? Actually we’re already here.”

 

“Huh?” she then looks up at the flashing sign above us. “The skating rink?”

 

“Yeah. Wouldn't that be fun?” 

 

She smiles, then takes my hand to lead me in. I pay for the entry as I insisted that she couldn’t and we started to put on our skates. Slowly getting up and hobbling over to the rink, I began to slide onto the ice, Mina right behind me. I turn to look back at her, losing a little balance, and smile at her sturdy posture. There were a lot of people here tonight, and honestly I don't even know why I chose ice skating, I’m not that great at it and if I were to embarrass myself in front of Mina on our first date, I don’t know what she would think. 

 

I hear an angelic laugh escape her and instantly I begin to blush.

 

“You look like a baby giraffe trying to walk for the first time.”

 

I huff out a breath as I somewhat try to regain the fallen pieces of my pride.

 

“We can’t all be great at everything we do, unlike you.”

 

“Here.” a light chuckle, “Let me help you.” she then skates over and tugs on both of my hands, encouraging me to follow her lead.

 

She skates beside me while still holding onto my hand, the warmth completely in contrast to the chilly ambience of the ice rink. I didn’t expect her to be this good as she then turns to skate backwards while still facing me at the same time. 

 

“You know, I’m not that bad at this. Go ahead, have fun. Don’t worry about me. I’ll stick to the rails on the side anyway.”

 

She looks at me concerned as I tell her to go, I just give her one of my smiles telling her that it’s alright. Reluctantly, she lets go, but then she's gone. She’s now skating around the whole rink, doing little twirls and jumps and skids. This time she looks back at me with a growing smirk.

 

Ok. Now that’s just showing off. I thought. But she does look beautiful though, absolutely stunning. The way her hair flips as she whirls around and the way her smile lights up as she lands a perfect jump. Everything she does is so gorgeous. This must be like doing some sort of ballet to her, just on ice. Did that make sense? I don’t know. But now I can’t help but want to watch her during one of her ballet recitals, that must be even more alluring.

 

Unconsciously I had let go of the rail, while some kid just whizzed past me, causing me to spin and then fall straight onto my . Ouch, that’s probably gonna leave a bruise for a couple of days. Bratty kid.

 

“Oh my god Jeongyeonie! Are you okay?”

 

“Uhhh.. I think I just broke my .” I said looking up at her from my position on the ice.

 

She then giggles, tears forming in her eyes, saying something about butts not being able to break, and sitting right there I realised that, if embarrassing myself like this is what it takes to see her laugh so loudly and freely, I will gladly do so 100 times over just to hear it.

 


 

Shortly after I had basically humiliated myself, kinda(not really), to Mina and to everybody at the rink, we had left in order to fill in the next activity on the agenda I had created for the night. Concerning the date, so far so good, Mina has been enjoying herself quite immensely and I feel so proud to know that I am the one who has been putting that smile on her face the whole time.

 

She had asked me where our next destination would be, but I had wanted to keep it secret, so that I was able to surprise her. Although I did say that it wouldn’t be that long of a walk, we still made small talk as to make the time pass by faster until we got there.

 

“Jeongyeonie, is that where we’re going?” she asks excitedly, pointing in the specific direction that we were just about to go to.

 

“Yep. The 24 hour arcade. Whatcha think?”

 

“Oooh I love it! C’mon hurry up, let’s go there already!!” 

 

She ran across the road to reach the arcade, thankfully there are no cars near by.

 

“Hey! That’s really dangerous. What if a car went by just now ?”

 

“But it didn’t. Now quickly get your broken over here and come play some games with me!” she whined standing at the entrance of the building, stomping her feet all the while.

 

God, I’ve said this 1000 times already, but why is she so cute?!?!?

 

As I caught up to her, she had already gone and exchanged for some tokens. I went back to the counter to get some extra as I knew we were going to be here for a longer while.

 


 

I haven’t had this much fun in ages. We went through the whole arcade and played almost every single game there was, from Dance Dance Revolution to Street Fighter to the car racing games to the shooting at the fake alien games. Time just seemed to have flown by, and when we had gone to the adjoining diner to have a rest and something to drink, we collapsed into the seating booth. When our drinks had come over, there was still a little something in my head, telling me to go do ‘it’ now. 

 

“Hey Mina, I’ll be back in a minute, I just need to go to the bathroom, okay?”

 

She then nods at me, and as soon as I am out of her sight, I bolt to the claw machine. I had a few tokens left in my pocket but if I did run out, getting a little extra wouldn't hurt anyone.

 

So it took a few tries and a few extra tokens and it’s been over 7 minutes but I still got what I was looking for. It’s just that I took longer than anticipated and right now I’m afraid that Mina might think that I fell into the toilet or something so as soon as the prize drops down I grab it and run back to her. She looks so worried.

 

“Jeongyeonie, where have you been? I–

 

She then looks down to what’s in my arms and suddenly gasps.

 

“…is that the thing from the claw machine we walked by earlier?”

 

“Uhhh yeah it is. I saw you looking at it a lot so.. I thought why not. Here you go.” I extended my arm out, handing it to her.

 

“It’s for me??”

 

“Of course. Who else would love penguins as much as you?” I chuckle slightly.

 

She pouts a little, and I don't know which is more loveable, her or the huge penguin plushie I had won for her (though in my opinion, she will always be a bit cuter). 

 


 

Sadly, as it was getting a bit late, our date had to come to an end, so as of right now I was escorting Mina home. And not once has she stopped hugging that dumb penguin. Can you believe this? I’m jealous of a stuffed toy. Me. The star of the track team. With the tonnes of admirers. Jealous. Of a toy. 

 

In the corner of my eye I see her hug it tighter and sigh happily.

 

Damn it. I hate that penguin. What’s so good about it anyway? It’s just a toy.

 

In an instant all my brooding was washed away as soon as I felt her hand slip into mine.

 

“Thank you so much. I really love this plushie. I’ve always wanted one and now I do, thanks to you.” she squeezes my hand gently while leaning up to plant a small kiss on my cheek.

 

I LOVE THAT PENGUIN. BEST THING IN THE WORLD. Should I go back and get 4 more??

 

“It’s no biggie. It was from a claw machine. Anyone could have gotten it.”

 

“I know. But you’re not just anyone. It means more coming from you.”

 

I really can’t take this anymore, she has been tempting me all night with her adorableness and I so just want to lean in and capture her lips in a sweet and gentle kiss. But then she stops walking and I am grudgingly pulled out of my fantasy. I look around.

 

“Oh. We’re here already?” I said looking at Mina’s house.

“Yeah we are. Would you perhaps.. maybe, like to come in?” she shyly mumbles while lightly pushing the tips of her index fingers together. 

 

“Can I?”

 

“Of course. Just.. follow me.”

 

Getting slightly nervous, I follow Mina inside. And . The first thing we see is her mother.

 

“Hi mum. I’m home. I brought Jeongyeon inside too if you don’t mind.”

 

“Well hello dear. Oh and of course not. Is this the lovely girl you said you were going on a date with? By the way how was it? Was it good? Did she treat you well? She didn’t try anything funny did she?”

 

She then turns to face me,

 

“I’m sorry that I’m speaking as if you aren't here right now, but as you may know already Mina is an only child and her father and I do get a little over protective of her. So if for some reason she ends up crying with you being the cause, you and I are going to have a few problems.”

 

She ends her menacing threat with a sickly sweet smile, and I feel my sweat drop. I chuckle awkwardly.

 

“No ma’am. That won’t be happening at all, I’ll make sure that she only cries from laughter and happiness.”

 

“That’s a good answer.”

 

Everything becomes tense in the next few seconds before Mina tells me to go ahead and take a seat on the swing out on her back porch. I walk out of the sliding glass door and then see that the swing is actually for two, so I sit down and make sure that there is enough space for Mina. From out here I can hear her talking to her mum.

 

“MUMMM. You can’t just threaten my date like that, what if you scare her off??”

 

“Well if she’s afraid of me imagine how she’d be with your father.”

 

“Mum. You’re really embarrassing sometimes you know? Ugh. We’ll talk more about this later.”

 

The next thing I hear is the sliding of the door and then she’s sat next to me slightly blushing.

 

“You heard that. Didn't you?”

 

“Mmm.”

 

“I’m sorry my mum is always like this when it comes to new people and especially my dates.”

 

“Nahh it’s cool. She’s just concerned for you that’s all. It’s kinda cute really… that is, if you take away the glare she was sending me.”

 

We both laugh at this and then fall into a comfortable silence, with her head on my shoulder, slowly rocking back and forth on the swing whilst gazing out at the night sky.

 

A while later I slowly exhale indicating that I was going say something.

 

“Ahhh, should’ve began the date much earlier, so we could’ve had more time with each other.”

 

“It’s ok. There’s always a next time and the one after that and so on.”

 

“Next time?!?! You mean you like me enough for a second date? And more??” she giggles lightly at my bewilderment. 

 

“Of course. Why? Is it not the same for you?”

 

“NO. No, God no. It’s just that a girl like you, so elegant, ethereal and enchanting… with someone like me, so…..”

 

“Great? Amazing? Sweet? Loveable? Yes I love someone like that, someone that is you.” 

 

Love…

 

“M-me? You lo-love me? 

 

She blushes and if I were to die right now, I would’ve been happy. But no I don’t wanna die just yet, I wanna live my whole life, and use my entire being to make her happy and nothing short of it.

 

I noticed that as we had been gazing into each others eyes, we had also been moving closer to one another. She’s so close I just wanna…

 

“May I kiss you..?” I gently whisper afraid of breaking the little bubble that was only for the two of us.

 

I cup the side of her face and she looks down at my lips while also nodding into the palm of my hand. Her eyes flutter to a close as she leans in slightly. Even now I can’t help but think that she is just so beautiful. 

 

I press my lips against hers gingerly and holy God, her lips are as soft as they look and they taste like the strawberry lipgloss that she wears. I brush my lips over hers again, and again, and again. I can’t stop. I don’t want to. We both tilt our heads in order to have more contact as we slowly part our lips. I run my tongue over her bottom lip and she gasps, taking my chance I slid my tongue inside, caressing her tongue and anywhere else I could reach. Our tongues danced together sensually and I hear a slight whimper. Her hands slide up to the back of my neck and the short hairs, tugging gently at the roots. While my own were going down to rest on her hips, rubbing slow circles into them with my thumbs.

 

As time passes by the lack of oxygen gets to us and we slowly part, only a small string of saliva separating our lips. As I rest my forehead against hers with our ragged breaths calming down, it left our hearts to beat in sync. With our eyes still closed,  I said the first thing that came to mind,

 

“I love you too, Myoui Mina. Let’s stay like this for as long as life allows us.”

 

“Indefinitely.”

 


 

[A/N]:

 

First off I'm so sorry guys, this has taken me quite a while as I have had a bit difficulty trying to write this. As I have never been on a date (who would want me anyway), I may have not gotten the feeling right. Also I could list off a tonne of more reasons why this was kinda slow, but then they would just be excuses.

 

Second of all, thank you for being patient with this, there may be a few mistakes overall but you know at least I tried right?

 

So this is the end of 'Underneath the Bleachers'.

 

If you guys have any requests or suggestions or anything don't be afraid to ask and stuff cause the reason why I wanted to write was so that people are able to enjoy Jeongmi more you know? So I need you guys and your input on what you would like to see or read about (that is if I don't already have an idea planned in my head).

 

That's kinda it really, I don't know what else to say...

 

So..... see ya next time.

 

BYYEEEE

 

 

- J