1/2

Underneath the Bleachers

 


Jeongyeon POV:


 

This is it. The final relay. If we’re able to win this, we could be in 1st place for overall points. We could be the winners, the champions, with the gold medals and everything! Just thinking about it already gets my adrenaline pumping. My stomach is doing the upside down flipping thing and it won’t stop. Ahh, I’m so nervous. But I know that our team will do just fine, we’ve worked too hard for it not to pay off.

 

It’s the annual female Athletics Championship, and somehow this year, it’s being held at our school, JYP High. Last year our track and field seniors were able to walk away from the event with gold medals making it seem so easy, unfortunately they had graduated a few months later, meaning that someone else had to be appointed the new captain so that someone could lead the next year’s team to success. And that someone was me. So yeah, I’m the track and field captain. It’s not like being captain is a bad thing, but there were other members older than me that could've done a much better job, nonetheless it feels great to know that others are willing to rely on me.

 

But anyways back to the race. We’re still waiting for the gun to fire, to signal us to begin. As I was in the 4th position so that I would be the one to run the last leg, I look around the track to see that my 3 other teammates were ready to go, Chaeyoung giving me a thumbs up and a little grin to show off her dimple, what a lovable rascal. Glancing around the area once more, I see her standing there, cheering for us, with her cheer squad. She’s much more confident in her cheerleader outfit, and that makes her much prettier than she already is, even when she's sweating because of all the excessive cheer routines that she has been doing for the past few hours.

 

Mina.

 

She looks back at my direction and our eyes meet. She shows her gummy smile and mouths me a ‘fighting’ while doing a little fist pump, and all my nerves washed away. How can she do that? Make my heart race and slow down at the same time, what type of sorcery?? I nodded at her while reciprocating the fist pump and the next thing I knew, the starting gun had went off. I panic for 2 seconds and in the corner of my eye I can see Mina giggling, and that’s all it takes for me to regain my focus just as the baton was passed from my first team member to the second. I do a little stretch while keeping watch of the distance between us and our competitors. We’re slightly behind them, but I know that our little tiger Chaeyoungie would be able to make up for the small distance lost.

 

I realise that I have lost my focus yet again, only when I hear the call of my name, from behind me, from the crowd, from the cheer squad, from Mina. I quickly get into position and then Chaengie is right behind me, passing the baton over, and screaming along with the rest of the viewers.

 

“JEONGYEONIE!!! RUN! GO GO GO GO!!!!”

 

Before I know it, I’m off. I start running, keeping up with the last runner Seulgi, from the SM High team. There’s only 30 metres left on my part, and I can feel my legs collapsing, my lungs are on fire but I try to keep going.

 

20 meters left. Me and Seulgi are much further ahead than the other 2 teams. It’s going to be a close call between the both of us. I’m exhausted but the cheers all around me keep me going.

 

10 meters left. I can see Mina’s face near the finish line, standing out from all the others, screaming, cheering for me and from out of nowhere, this burst of energy springs me back to life as I pick up my pace and dash to the end.

 

5 meters. Seulgi was surprised at my sudden boost, leaving her no choice but to also push herself to get closer to me but it was no use. I was already one step ahead too many.

 


 

The whistle blows. I had just crossed the finish line. I did it. We did it. We won. WE REALLY WON!!!! 

 

“WOOOOO!!!” I screamed with the little breath I had left in me.

 

The crowd roared and suddenly I’m being lifted up, by the boys’ track team.

 

“Jackson, what are you doing? Put me down.”

 

“No can do Jeong. The Captain/MVP deserves to be shown off, don’t you agree guys?”

 

The again deafening screams of the people around me seemed to agree with him, so I just let it slide for the time being, a huge grin lighting up my face. I see the cheer squad approach us, and this time the boys had let me go when I said I wanted off. I peek over all the heads to search for Mina’s, and we make eye contact for the second time today. She’s so beautiful. And her smile makes her even more so.

 

“Hey Mina, over here.”

 

“Jeongyeonie congrats, I

 

May all the teams that have participated, please prepare for the ending ceremony.” the announcer of the event interrupts us. And before I can even glance back at her again, I am being swept away by my team and little Chaeyoungie pushing me to the direction of the winners’ podium. I try to search for Mina again but I can’t find her at all. So then I just decided that I would find her later so that we could finish our conversation.

 

The introduction for the ceremony was long and no won really bothered to listen as we were waiting for what was really important. Then as the announcer was about to call out the winning teams, everything suddenly went dead silent, everyone watched with bated breath, the only sound that could be heard was the beating of our own hearts.

 

“And now I will announce the overall winners for the female Athletics Championship. May all the representatives step forward when addressed, please and thank you.

 

And in third place, we have…. YG High.”

 

A round of applause were given and a few shrieking screams, making us all laugh as, Jisoo went up to collect the bronze medals for her team. I hung out with her a of couple times along with Jennie and Nayeon, it was just because I was invited along by Nayeon, but still we were friends and I felt really happy for her.

 

“And now in second place, SM High.”

 

Louder sounds erupted from the crowd as SM High was a more well known school than the rest, but still, they had the skill and the talent and that was admirable. Irene had stepped up to the second place on the podium and she looked so cute and shy, then I looked over to where Seulgi was standing and we both smiled at each other, I silently congratulated her and looked forth to the announcer.

 

“Finally. In first place. We have…. drumroll please…… JYP HIGH!!!!”

 

….wait. What? We won, we actually won. 

 

I was so shocked that I didn’t even notice what was happening around me.

 

“JEONGYEON! JEONGYEON! JEONGYEON! JEONGYEON!”

 

The crowd kept on chanting my name and then I realised that I had to go up to collect our medals too. Clambering up to the podium, whilst almost tripping over my own two feet a couple times, I then stand there tall and proud, a gold medal hanging from my neck.

 

I can’t believe that we actually won. I mean I can, but at the same time, wow. We won. I look around the field, not letting whatever the announcer was saying go through my head, searching again for Mina. Where is she? She’s not here, or even with her squad. I feel a little disappointed but I can’t let that show, especially now. The ceremony finally ends and then I am being attacked by my own team.

 

“Wooo Captain, we knew you could do it.”

 

“Yeah, we have the best leader ever”

 

“We couldn't have won without you.”

 

Endless praises aimed towards me were being thrown around and I couldn’t help but blush as it has never happened before. And as soon as I start to feel a little awkward, someone screamed out something about a celebration party in the gym later on today and everyone then began to part ways, so that they could get home to get ready for it.

 

I was about to go and search for Mina again when Chaeyoung took my hand and dragged me to the direction of my home, talking non-stop about the party. As we were neighbours she decided that it was okay for her to come over and get ready in my house so that we could both go to the party together.

 

“–so I definitely wanna brag about this to Tzuyu. Can you believe that she said I wouldn’t be able to run with legs as short as mine?? Like, I’m not that short, you’re just freakishly tall.”

 

“I’m tall too you know?”

 

“Yeah but you’re my bro and older, so it’s cool. But she’s younger than me…..it’s not fair..”

 

“Awww don’t pout like that. Does it bother you that much? Don’t take what she say to heart…… that is, unless you like her..?”

 

“WHAT?!? NO WAY!!! I JUST–“

 

“Alright chill lil’ bro, I was just teasing”

 

Chae continued to pout while muttering something underneath her breath.

 

“What was that?”

 

“I said, ‘it’s not like you don’t like Mina unnie’.”

 

Mina?? What does she have to do with this?”

 

Please. You look at her too much for it to be normal. Besides weren’t you looking for her before I dragged you away?” she teasingly raised her eyebrow, wriggling it. I have never wanted to smack that smirk off of her face anymore than I have wanted to now.

 

“So what? I’ll admit it, I like her. What are you gonna do about it?” I challenged her.

 

“Not me you. What are you going to do about it? Personally I would confess, especially today since there’s that party and she’s probably gonna be there too.”

 

“I’ll consider it.” just thinking about confessing to her now makes my stomach twist nervously.

 

“Seriously, go for it. But whatever you do just know that I got your back. No jam hyung fighting.”

 

I ruffle her hair affectionately as we continue walking down the street, laughing and just enjoying our time together. I’m grateful for Chae, she gets me, even when I don’t get myself sometimes. For the rest of the way home, I can’t stop my thoughts from going back to Mina again. I should confess tonight. I will confess tonight. OK, let’s do this, Jeongyeonie fighting!!

 


 

19:14 pm

 

Me and Chaeyoung were a bit late now, but it was just because we had lost track of time whilst playing video games after we had finished getting ready. I was just wearing some ripped skinny jeans, a leather jacket over a plain white shirt along with my favourite pair of black converse, while Chaeng decided to dress up a little and wore a sleeveless top with some denim short-shorts and a pair of white vans. We had just strolled up through the double doors of the huge gym and someone had noticed us, then all of a sudden we were both pulled in and shoved straight into the middle of the temporary dance floor.

 

“Let’s give it up for the main MVPs of the day, the No Jam Bros!!!”

 

“WOOOOO!!!!!!!!”

 

I looked down at Chaeng only to see her look back up at me, we both had confused looks on our faces, but then we just laughed it off and joined in cheering with them as everyone was just having a good time. I still find it funny whenever our friends and classmates refer to us as the No Jam Bros, I don’t get it though, we are hilarious, it’s just that no one gets our sense of humour so actually, they’re the ones that are missing out.

 

As the night goes on, many congratulations were given and some girls even asked for my autograph, it was strange but I just blushed and complied not knowing what else to do. Everything about tonight was great, amazing even, but one thing was bothering me.

 

Why haven’t I seen Mina yet. I know she came, Tzuyu said so….

 

I glance over to where Tzuyu was when I last talked to her, and I notice that she is now talking to a cutely scowling Chaeyoung. She must be teasing her about her short legs again. I chuckle underneath my breath and then see that Tzuyu had just planted a kiss on Chaeng’s cheek, which had reddened instantly, her eyes wide open. I direct my attention away from them as to give them some ‘space’, even though I know that I will be told about it later on.

 

Feeling a little too clustered, I took a step out of the gym to get a little breather. I walked over to the bleachers but then I notice a lone figure sat underneath it. I slowly tip-toe over to peek at the person that was sat there…..

 

Mina….?

 


 

“..Mina..”

 

She gasped then quickly spun around to face me.

 

“Jeongyeonie…”

 

“Mina what are you doing out here? And all alone? Shouldn’t you be inside, enjoying yourself?”

 

“I am. I just came out for a bit, too many people inside, I just felt a little uncomfortable you know. What about you, team captain?”

 

“Huh..? Oh yeah, me too. I just wanted some fresh air but then I saw you.”

 

A little silence fell between us, it was a comfortable one, but somehow I found it a little awkward, considering all the little butterflies that were rampaging around in my stomach right this moment.

 

“Hey, what was it you were going to tell me earlier?” I said as I broke the silence.

 

“Hmm? When?”

 

“Earlier, before I was abruptly dragged away to the podium.”

 

“Oh, that. I just wanted to say congratulations. You did really well.”

 

Deciding to be a little flirty so I could put my confession plan into motion, I said

 

“That’s because you were watching and cheering me on. So I wanted to impress you.”

 

She blushed and I swear, I have never seen or known anything as cute as this being right in front of me.

 

“Mmm.”

 

“‘Mmm’. Is that it?”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“I don’t get an award or something? A congrats isn’t usually enough you know? Especially if the one I was trying to impress was you.”

 

“..but I haven’t gotten you anything.” she said as she looks down glumly. 

 

“Well then…. Go out with me.”

 

“What?!?”

 

“Go. Out. With. Me. Like on a date.”

 

“Are you serious? Like seriously serious???” 

 

Her eyebrows are raised up so high and I can’t help but laugh a little at her as she blushes yet again while throwing little furious punches on my arm.

 

“YAH! This isn’t funny. I’m being for real here. I actually really like you and if you were to–“

 

She sharply inhales after realising she had just accidentally confessed to me.

Well this made my job a lot easier. 

 

“What did you say?” I smirk cockily. “I don’t think I heard you properly, can you repeat it please?”

 

“Jeongyeon!!” she exclaimed, her face is as red as a tomato.

 

I then began to feel bad about teasing her so much, so I waited for her to calm back down so I could complete my plan.

 

“So about that date… I’ll pick you up tomorrow at 6.”

 

“What? A date? Jeong–” 

 

“Yes, Mina. A date. I’m pretty sure that’s what two people do when they like each other.”

 

“When they like each oth– YOU LIKE ME?!?!”

 

I chuckle at her antics, God how can she be so cute?!?

 

“Yeah. I like you. Quite a lot actually. That’s also the reason why I asked you out you know?” I winked at her and then got up from my seat on the ground.

 

She sat there for a while longer still dazed. She then looked up at me and had the biggest smile on her face that I didn’t even know was possible to have. She then springs up and throws her arms around my shoulders pulling me into one of the best hugs I have ever received, her scent intoxicatingly sweet.

 

“It’s settled then. Come by at 6, and don’t be late.” she then left a small kiss on my cheek and went back into the gym to enjoy the rest of the party. I was shocked by her swift change of mood and my face felt so hot, my whole body stiff and all this just cause of a tiny peck from Mina.

 

Ahhhh!!! I’m so happy! She likes me back!!! She actually likes me back!!!!

 

I’m still standing here underneath the bleachers holding onto the cheek that she had kissed me on, feeling ecstatic. Once I had regained my senses, I immediately sprint back inside to find her again, hoping to have at least one dance with her. For the rest of the night I couldn’t stop looking at her and just thinking about what could happen on our date tomorrow.

 

Ahhhh we’re going on a date!!!! I’m. So. Freaking. Happy. !!!!!! Just you wait Myoui Mina. This will be the bestest date you’ve ever had, I guarantee it.

 


 

[A/N]:

 

Wassup guys! So here is the end of it, and yes I will be making a continuation. I wasn't supposed to but one idea lead to another and well I wanted to write about JeongMi on their first date so yeah.. stay tuned for that.

 

Sorry that this might not be that well written as this is a much longer story but I will continue to improve so.. yeah.

 

Also the reason why I chose Seulgi as Jeong's competition was because of their interaction on Inkigayo (Search Jeongyeon and Seulgi Ostrich Dance if you dont already know about it, you won't regret it)

 

*Also this just happened yesterday, but honestly,

 

DID YALL HEAR ABOUT MIMO AND THEIR PEPERO KISS

LIKE I WILL ALWAYS LOVE JEONGMI OTP FOR LIFE BUT MIMO GOT ME FEELIN SOME TYPE OF WAYY

GOD BLESS SANA FOR PUSHING THEIR HEADS TOGETHER but on the low rip Sana you're gonna die WHERE WAS JEONGYEON WHEN YOU NEEDED HER

(apparently she was at the front playing with some toys in her own little world, my poor little oblivious baby).

 

*ehem* Umm now that that mess is over, 

 

Continue to love Jeongmi and stay tuned for more.

 

- J