Being Watched | 5

Being Watched || 2Jae

A/N: Thank you to guessmystarJY for the upvote. Also, I have three things to say; 

Firstly, I'm sorry for the super long wait. My laptop almost broke last week, but it's fixed now and I was so busy with school work! 

Secondly, I have something to confirm for you all...at first, I was going to let Jaebum's character be left in the open, you know with whether he's the stalker or not. 

But...

But I figured I might as well tell you that Jaebum is definitely not the stalker, though it would have been a nice plot twist, and since I'm 88% positive that you guys already knew that, I decided to just confirm it. 

But from now on wards, I won't be confirming anything else. After all, you guys are now the detectives-you have the power to decipher the real criminal through my subtle clues!~ 

Lastly, enjoy this chapter, the next one will be posted within the next week or two.

 

 

Jaebum stared at the whiteboard stood in front of him, eyebrows knit and his eyes narrow. Jackson and another officer were currently going through stacks of papers Kim Jongin had collected on anyone who had been caught stalking victim's within the ages fourteen to twenty-five–the lists also included anyone who had been released from prison or a detention centre for the same reasons. The remaining three officers were dealing with a second stalking case which had been called in this morning. Jaebum knew they would have to balance both cases, maybe even pay more attention to the newer case as it had more evidence to give. Although Jaebum wants to help Youngjae, he can only do so much with so little evidence. Even after laying out the data from Youngjae's case he thought he would get some sort of clue that would bring some clarification as to why he was being stalked in the first place, even after doing a background check on Youngjae–he found nothing out the ordinary, nothing to prove he was lying at least. Everything seemed to add up and yet it didn't. Jaebum was at a stand stop. All he had to go off was some strange notes and polaroids. Jaebum knew that he had to put together a report to be able to request an undercover officer to watch over the victims and yet it was proving to be difficult. Jaebum picked up the note Youngjae had delivered to him yesterday and skimmed it over. They were obviously trying to intimidate Youngjae to not do anything stupid. Focusing more on the polaroid–after giving it a dreadfully long look over, he noticed a tiny reflection in a car window. Raising his eyebrows he took a closer look. A man wearing a black cap and face mask was in the reflection along with a small flash of light. Jaebum had found it. He had found the perfect reason, the reason which could make the case just as important as their new one–regardless of the fact that they were both equally important from the beginning. He immediately grabbed his phone from his desk and called the forensic department from across the street and asked if they could help enhance and enlarge the polaroid picture. After meeting them in person, he gave them the polaroid and let them do their magic. Having the polaroid scanned into the system, they began digitally enhancing the photo until they had an enlarged–slightly blurred–close up of the stalker in the reflection. Having the pictures sent to his work email, he left the building and went back to his office.

Jaebum sat at his desk, typing away. He had finished editing his report, clicking the 'save' button which finalised and saved it in the police's data system. Printing off a copy for the head supervisor to check over and, hopefully, approve. He began walking up to his office, knocking on the door three times before he heard a low bellow of 'come in'. Firmly grasping the handle, he pulled it down and pushed the door open. Respectfully bowing his head he closed the door and walked up to his desk. Jaebum waited for confirmation to speak, which he received in the form of a nod, Jaebum swallowed the spit welling up in the back of his throat before in a big gulp of air and lifting his eyes to meet the older–more intimidating and well acknowledged–officer, in the room.

"Sir, I came to hand in the current progress reports for the Domestic and Personal Violence squad's cases. I also came to request on behalf of the victims from both cases for officer protection."

Jaebum respectfully placed the files down on the desk in front giving the other time to flick through them and give his response. From the crease in the elder's brow and the way his nose scrunched up in the corners, it was not good news.

"Officer Im, I understand that it is reasonable to ask for victim protection for both cases, but I'm afraid that majority of the protection officers have already been requested and we have limited people left."

"How many exactly, sir?"

"Three–wait no, two received a transfer request from the big boss and have been sent to different stations. So that leaves one." He states flicking through his clipboard.

"That's okay, we'll take the final officer for the outdoor protection case. I can handle the indoor protection case."

"But it says here you are requesting two officers for the indoor case? You better not be planning on doing both, I won't allow it."

"Sir, with all due respect, we both know that being in two places at once is an impossible concept. What I mean is having another officer from my squad assist me. Will you accept my offer?"

The head supervisor gave a moment to consider and decided it would be best to help him reconsider, "I'll have the final officer ready by tomorrow," Jaebum almost smiled, almost, "but"–there is always a but–"I can't have my head officer from one of my specialised squads be moving away from his duties when we have people perfectly capable of doing the job instead. You still have responsibilities and I expect them to be completed carefully and accurately."

"Sir, please. I am perfectly capable of handling such a matter, I trust my members enough to handle a case like this without me, but I have no doubt that they won't, not ask me for advice. As for the case I want to take on, the main victim has put his faith in me and doesn't want another to protect him. Besides, I am capable of completing my written work by the end of each week and sending it in via the private police network. Sir, if you would just let me help these people. I know I can save them."

The head supervisor sighed he knew he had lost, he figured it was because Jaebum was his father's son. Of course, not literally. He was the son of a lieutenant he knew back in the day. "Fine, I'll allow it this time through. But the moment you fall behind on your duties and paper work is the moment, I will have you put on case probation and switch you with another until it's over. Understood?" 

"Yes, sir. Thank you, sir." Jaebum respectfully bows, showing his gratitude, "I won't let you down. I promise."

"Officer Im, promises are hard to keep, remember that. Make sure you don't make the same downfall that your father blindly pursued, it would be both a shame and a pity to lose another officer as amazing as you."

"I will keep that in mind, thank you, sir."

Jaebum nods his head gracefully before excusing himself and leaving the room. Once the door closed behind him he released a sigh, somehow his father always found a way to sneak into his everyday life. Quite frankly he was sick of it, was there a need for him to be mentioned? He didn't think so, but considering how close he was to many of the older officers who remain in this police department, he figured it was inevitable. Straightening up, Jaebum fixed his leather jacket and before walking back to his station. Now that the minor details were sorted, he just had to find another officer to help with Youngjae's case and he knew the perfect officer to ask.

 

 

 

Youngjae was lost in thought when he had bumped into something hard. Only realising when it was too late and he felt a searing pain jolt through his forehead. He was even more embarrassed to find out that he had just walked into a lamp pole in the middle of broad daylight in a public park. Only when he heard people snickering around him, did he realise that the park was full of people. He hadn't even realised he was sitting on the floor until a man with dyed red hair came over and offered him a hand. Youngjae was shocked seeing a hand held out in front of him and when he looked up he was even more surprised in seeing a familiar face. 

"Need a hand?" The latter asked smirking.

Youngjae sheepishly smiled, "yeah...thanks."

Taking the other's hand, Youngjae was pulled up with a firm grip. Feeling a little dizzy, he held his head wincing after feeling a large, probably red, and very sore bump forming. 

"Oww," he hissed, "I'm an idiot."

"Well, that's not true. You just get easily distracted. That doesn't make you an idiot, Youngjae."

Youngjae took a look at the familiar male and smiled, "Thank's Mark, really."

"Anytime."