2.

Attachment

Chapter 2.

Getting To Know You.

 

Sung-hye finally saw the time by her laptop. She stretched her arms, cracking her stiff shoulders and neck after working after hours today. Director Kim left earlier than everyone. Slowly, the pattern never changed. Everyone left at their own time. She was the only one left in the office. The clock ticked quietly as she looked at her laptop and rubbed her tired eyes. She cleared her dry throat and stood up, picking her bag from under her table. 

 

Her fingers went to her mouse and she saved all her documents and shut down all the programs on her laptop. She stretched her arms and did some stretching before packing her bag slowly. She wore the lanyard around her neck as she picked up her long coat drape at her chair. She wore it and pull her shoulder length hair gently out, combing her hair down slightly. She packed her laptop last into her bag, before grabbing her phone and push her chair. She turned off the office lamp and headed out to the door. 

 

She forgot about the meeting later, her eyes focused on the small leather wrist watch on her left hand. She tried to remember the timing of the bus that will come by the bus stop nearby. She got into the elevator and press the button for the 1st floor. The elevator door closed afterwards and she was left alone 

 

Her phone vibrated and let out a notification bell. She fumbled in her coat pocket and took out her phone, swiping her thumb across the screen to unlock it. She looked at the message from an unknown number. 

 

"Hello... Is this Sung-hye sshi?" 

 

She blinked and looked at the unknown numbers. She wondered if this was some kind of scam or.... 

 

Ding!

 

The elevator sounded as she reached the 1st floor just as she remembered who else had her number. She recalled what happened today after lunch and she almost dropped her phone. She gulped and watch the elevator doors opened. She tried to take a step out, almost stumbling in her steps. She blushed and bit her lip as she walked towards the main entrance. The security guard saw her and greeted her. She forced a smile and bowed slightly to him before walking slowly to the bus stop nearby. 

 

She took out her phone and texted back to the unknown number. 

 

"Yes," 

 

Sung-hye waited for a reply as she settled down at the bus stop. She looked at the road, looking out for a bus. She bit her lip just as a vibration and notification bell rang in her coat. Her heart beat fast as she glanced at the incoming message. 

 

"We exchange numbers earlier today...." 

 

"Ah...Yes, I remember," 

 

Jonghyun's face was lit up by the screen of his phone. He bit his lip and furrowed his eyebrows together as he watched how Sung-hye was texting him. A little too formal? A little too rigid? Jonghyun wondered if the girl over the other phone even have a life. He found himself biting on his fingernail as he wondered what to text her back. He did say that he will meet her later for a formal meeting. 

 

The heck... I am meeting her for a formal meeting... Its work...

 

Jonghyun put his thoughts away and started texting back, his fingers typing fast on the pad. 

 

Maybe she is rigid...

 

Whats taking him so long to respond? 

 

Sung-hye started biting her fingernails out of habit. She was already on the bus home, sitting by the window. The weather started pouring slightly, the streets wet and slippery. She stared at her phone, waiting for a reply. 

 

Should I just alight here and wait for a response? 

 

No...No. Keep it professional. 

 

Ding! 

 

"May we meet up? I would like to discuss more on the novel...Somewhere near your place?" 

 

Huh...Near my place?? 

 

Sung-hye started typing, her fingers doing the job faster than her brain could process. Before she could read what she had typed, her thumb had already press the send button. She cursed and huffed her cheeks, wondering why she decided to meet him. 

 

Her mind reeled back to what he had mentioned in front of her Director and she couldn't say no. She gulped and sulked slightly, sinking down the seat of the bus and closed her eyes shut. 

 

She wondered why she was beginning to feel nervous. Why was she having racing heart beats? She placed her hand over her chest and tried to slow down her heart rate. She closed her eyes and tried to think of happy cats jumping around. 

 

She opened her eyes and almost saw the bus missing her stop. She realise she had taken a snooze in the bus suddenly. Her hand reached out and press the button and the bus came to a sudden halt.

 

She bit her lip and shouted an apology to the bus driver who turned and gave her a look. She got off and took a step back before the puddles splashed at her. She dusted off her coat and look at the time on her wristwatch. 

 

Her hands fumbled through her bag to find for her umbrella and opened it in one go. She walked through the wet weather which was starting to pick up. Her heels clicked on the pavement as she tried to make out the cafe she frequents to every now and then. 

 

The sign swinging in the wind called on her, as if expecting hee arrival. She took a quick look before proceeding to the small open doorway. She put her umbrella down and hang it on the drying rack. Her phone vibrated again and a soft bell was heard. Her fingers were cold as she pull out her phone and push open the glass door into the cafe. 

 

Cosy and warm, the cafe had various stools and chairs around the different wooden tables. Someone looked up from behind the counter and flashed her a friendly smile. Sung-hye smile softly and proceeded to sit where she usually does. The walls was decorated with books and novels. She sat right in front of the shelves and glanced at the title of books on the shelves. Her mind was wondering what would be a good title to immersed herself in when she heard a soft bell ringing by the glass door. 

 

Someone came in with a hoodie and cap, dressed in jeans and sports shoes. The person brushed his shoulders before giving a quick glance around the almost empty cafe before his eyes landed on the young lady waiting for him. He went there and stood in front of her. 

 

Sung-hye glanced at her phone when she felt a presence in front of her. Her eyes glanced at the simple white Stan Smith Adidas shoes before glancing up from the jeans to the black hoodie. She stumbled and stood up quickly to welcome her client. 

 

Jonghyun raised his cap a little and met her eyes. His lips spread into a friendly smile. He bowed when she did and proceeded to sit down when she did. He looked around, staring at the titles of the books on the shelves. 

 

Irony... 

 

"Would you like anything to drink?" 

 

His eyes brought itself to the voice that spoke to him. He met her eyes briefly before she looked away and fumbled with her phone slightly. He could tell she was not prepared for the meeting and somehow it made him smile. He sat up a little more before giving her an answer. 

 

"Just hot coffee,"

 

Sung-hye nodded and went to the counter, ordering. Little that she know, Jonghyun watch her from behind as she ordered. He suddenly wonder why she had picked this place. Was it where she always hang out? His mind was busy imagining how she could have been while hanging out here, picturing her doing work on her laptop while being in her favourite place. 

 

 Jonghyun felt a twitch at the side of his lips. He turned and stare at his reflection on the window under the soft light and realise he has a name and reputation. Thoughts flew to when he was found taking someone else on a date and then... 

 

"Your hot coffee..." 

 

Sung-hye carry the cup from the tray and set it down in front of him. She also took his condiments and place it beside it. 

 

"Thank you," 

 

Sung-hye settled down and stirred her cold-brewed coffee. She poured the hot milk into it before adding the sugar syrup. She stirred it gently before looking up and saw him staring at her. Her cheeks grew a soft red and she looked down before remembering what she was suppose to do. 

 

Her hands reached for her bag and took out her laptop. Jonghyun watched her as she prepped herself for the meeting. He cleared his throat and said, 

 

"Whats this sticker for?" 

 

His finger gently tap the sticker on her laptop that had an open book and a small pair of hands being overlapped by bigger hands. Sung-hye glanced at where he was pointing and cleared , 

 

"Its a charity activity I do once a month. To help kids read as many books as they want," 

 

"I see," 

 

Sung-hye watch as the older man leaned back at his seat. His curiousity made her self curious as well. She dragged her heavy eyes to the screen and open a new document. Then, she got to work. 

 

"May I know what kind of concept or genre your novel will be?" 

 

Jonghyun tapped his fingers on his knee and look at the ceiling. He had songs up his sleeve that made him write. He gave another go staring at the ceiling to recall before finding the right word to say, 

 

"Fictional...Romance?" 

 

He stared at Sung-hye who nodded without even looking up from her laptop. Her hands move across the keys rapidly, Jonghyun noted himself. He took a sip of his coffee and his lips. 

 

"Is it a novel? Or a book?" 

 

Jonghyun bit his lip at the question. He hasn't got alot to write a full book yet but.. 

 

"Novel." 

 

"What is it about?" 

 

Jonghyun was beginning to feel like this was an interview. He cleared his throat and sat up, looking at her. Sung-hye looked up and saw how close suddenly he was and she blinked. Her cheeks grew redder. 

 

"Something about heartbreak. Two individuals that were in love was suddenly out of it, because of work.... It also describes the title of songs that I wrote myself..." 

 

Sung-hye almost forgot he was an idol from the beginning of this meeting. She nodded and typed what he said, keeping in mind, in bold, that he was an idol. Her mind suddenly recalled the list of instructions and gulped at the words of 'Keeping it professional'. 

 

Jonghyun realise she was slightly tense and look slightly uncomfortable. He wondered if what he said had somehow...described her? He tried not to think who the other person was, biting his lip from asking a personal question. 

 

Both sat across each other and reached for the cup of coffee without watching where their own hands were going. Their fingers brushed against each other and both of them looked up. 

 

Sung-hye reacted first, pulling her hand back before her lips muttered an apology. She quickly took a sip of her warm coffee, looking away. 

 

Jonghyun pulled his hand back a second later and clasped his fingers together. He suddenly felt a strange buzz in his chest and reach for his coffee, making sure he was staring right at it. He brought the coffee to his lips and drank it, the thrist in his throat was prominent. 

 

Sung-hye asked him a few more questions and Jonghyun answered them quickly. Both of them were feeling a little awkward at the small incident. 

 

Sung-hye finished her cup of cold-brewed coffee at the end of the meeting and saved the document. 

 

"I guess, thats it...Thank you for the meeting," 

 

Jonghyun watched how she was slightly shaky from the incident and smile slightly to himself. He watched her, no he admired her from his seat. He stood up and straightened his hoodie. 

 

Sung-hye stood up too, grabbing her bag. She made sure nothing was left behind. She tried to find for her phone and pat her pockets. 

 

"Here.." 

 

She looked up at Jonghyun who gently hand over her phone. She took the phone, their skin touch again. She looked away, resisting herself from looking at him. 

 

Jonghyun bit his lip harder the moment their skin touched again. Now he felt he was pushing their buttons, his mind a little fuzzy. He gulped and made sure she had everything before pulling his hand back to his side. 

 

He scratched his head slightly and looked away for abit before following her out of the cafe. He kept his cap down as he bowed to the only staff behind the counter with Sung-hye as they made their way out. Once outside, they both stood at the small entrance under shelter. The weather was not going to go any time as the rain poured heavily as before. 

 

Sung-hye reached for her umbrella from the drying rack and shook off the excess raindrops. She was about to open it when she heard the person beside her cleared his throat and she looked up. 

 

"Do you need a ride?" Jonghyun raised his voice slightly above the patter of the raindrops on the pavement. 

 

Sung-hye blinked and looked at the heavy rain. The offer was tempting and she bit her lip hard to think whether it was okay or not. Her mind was bothering her whether it was professional or not to even hitch a ride in a client's car. 

 

Oh God, its after meeting hours....Don't need to keep professional. 

 

She glanced at the waiting man beside her and gave a stiff nod. She noticed Jonghyun grin slightly before raising his hand and pointed to the waiting van just a few steps from where they were. 

 

"The van is there...I think hyung is asleep. I might need to share an umbrella with you, if thats okay?" 

 

She met Jonghyun's eyes when he glanced at her umbrella and then at her. She bit her lip, knowing this was pushing her buttons. Not that she didn't want to but she wasn't that comfortable yet with Jonghyun and moreover, if anything happen, she wouldn't know how to answer. She took a big gulp and risk now that her mind had made up on hitching a ride back to where she stayed. 

 

"Alrights!" Sung-hye said, seeing Jonghyun's hand shot out to take her umbrella for her. She gave it quickly, being careful not to touch him again. 

 

Jonghyun opened the umbrella with a button and the folded cloth opened up. It blocked the oncoming rain drops that were falling from the night sky. Jonghyun look at her as she took a step closer to him. Jonghyun slowly walked and let her follow, both of them trying to run to the van while avoiding getting wet from the rain. He noticed how she was moving away slightly from under the umbrella, getting one of her shoulders wet. He moved the umbrella closer to her and tried to squeeze in the confined small shelter while reaching the van. 

 

With a rap on the door of the van, the van door opened automatically. Jonghyun let Sung-hye entered first, which she did without waiting for him. She was drenched and cold, the spring season itself was not helping with the temperature. Jonghyun got in quickly and press the button, letting the umbrella close on itself before shutting the door. 

 

Sung-hye let out a sigh of relief before she realise she was in the van. Not a regular van but it was an idol's. She met the stare of an unknown man on the wheel before she watched the man stared at Jonghyun. She gulped and suddenly regret taking the offer before Jonghyun saved her. 

 

"Hyung, take her home. I just finished meeting with her and the weather won't lighten up..." 

 

Jonghyun's hyung looked back at her before he gave a small smile and said, "Give me your address," 

 

Sung-hye felt her hopes went up as she took the man's phone and keyed in her address. A while later, the van left for its destination. 

 

The atmosphere in the van was still and awkward. Sung-hye felt cold unfortunately, one side of her body was drenched. She tried to hide it well while Jonghyun was looking out of the window. Her house was not far but the drive felt forever. She fumbled with her bag slightly and looked out the tinted windows before realising where she was and the van slowed to a stop. She reached for her umbrella that was still in Jonghyun's possesion. However, Jonghyun took it first and told the man behind the wheel that he wouldn't take long and he just want to make sure she reached home well. 

 

Sung-hye felt slightly pleased by Jonghyun's manners and watched as Jonghyun opened the umbrella and waited for her in the rain. She thanked the man who gave her a heart-warming smile at her. She took a step out and felt her shoes getting wet in the puddle under her. Her toes were icky now with rain water and relieved that she took the van ride instead of walking home. She stood with Jonghyun who looked at her. 

 

"Where is your-" 

 

"Its just here..." She said, glancing at the front gate of her home. She wondered if her mother was up and worried about her not coming home early this time round. 

 

"Oh.." Jonghyun gave an awkward chuckle and a boyish smile. Sung-hye felt her heart fluttered slightly at the sight and smiled a little. 

 

"Thank you for meeting me, Sung-hye," Jonghyun said, holding the umbrella for her. 

 

"Its okay..." She replied, "You should go... The rain-" 

 

"We should get another drink sometime..." Jonghyun suddenly suggested and felt his cheek grew redder. His mind was not functioning well tonight, "I mean, like.. over our meeting," 

 

Sung-hye felt her hopes dashed when he mentioned meeting and she nodded and looked down to avoid his eyes. She smiled softly to mask her disappointment and said, 

 

"Sure, I'll call you on your progress of your completed novel writing," 

 

"A-Alrights," Jonghyun stammered slightly, his own hopes dashed too. He kept quiet and smile before she took a step forward and was under the sheltered gateway of her home. 

 

"I'll go in first," 

 

"What about your umbrella?" 

 

Sung-hye almost forgot about it. Without thinking, she spoke, "You can hold it for me? I'll collect it the next time round.." 

 

Jonghyun nodded and smile at her kindness. His mind couldn't stop reading in between the lines when she said that. He bit his lip and watched her enter the gate. Sung-hye heard the magnetic strip turned off and left the door ajar after she keyed in to the keypad. She pushed the door open and was about to enter when she forgot about the person waiting for her. 

 

She turned around and smile, giving a small wave at Jonghyun before shutting the gate gently. Jonghyun watched as she disappeared behind her home gate before he took a deep breath and walked a few steps towards the van. He entered the van quickly and watched the umbrella fold itself closed when his thumb press the button on the handle. The van started moving and he watched as the houses past by him slowly. 

 

Sung-hye made it to her room quickly. Her parents were sound asleep, tired from their day jobs to wait for her. She didn't mind it, opening the sliding door to her room and closed it gently. She started removing her long coat and turn on the heater slightly. Once she felt the heat circulating the room, she started to undress and prepped herself for bed. Her mind was ciruclating around Jonghyun and she suddenly lost control of her mind which thought of how it would feel like dating an idol. 

 

She caught herself and shook her head as she was brushing her teeth in the bathroom after a quick warm shower. She quickly headed back to her room and climbed into her bed. She turned off the light and looked at the ceiling as the rain poured more outside. She took in the sound of the raindrops falling outside her window quietly. 

 

Ding! 

 

She heard her notification bell of her phone beside her and turned to the side. She wondered who else was awake at this time when she suddenly realised the unknown number in her messaging list with an unread message. She tap on the chat and read the new message. 

 

Have a good rest. Your umbrella is drying itself in the van still. 

 

She wondered where he stayed since he mentioned van. She bit her lip and typed on the key pad. 

 

Have a safe ride home and a good rest. Thank you. 

 

Her lips twitched into a small smile as she saw Jonghyun had read it on his end. She was about to press the lock button when another message came through. 

 

Good-night, Sung-hye. 

 

Good-night, Jonghyun-sshi. 

 

Sung-hye press the lock button and her phone screen went off. She closed her eyes and fell into a sweet slumber with a small smile on her face.