Chapter 1

Shooting Star

“Damn…” Sam says as she counts the coins trying to come up with enough money to buy herself some lunch, she glances at the menu again to check the price when the coffee special caught her eye. Her stomach grumbles at the description; a strawberry hazelnut frappachino. “Focus Sam!” She says to herself, an old habit from being alone so often. ‘I just need lunch!” She says as she pushes open on the glass door. She goes to the counter and orders her BLT sandwich. Sam was not someone who attracted a lot of attention, she kept to herself as she waited for her food, however the next customer did not even need to try attracting any attention and it was given to him. Where to start? His height? His attractive facial feature? His presences demanded attention. Dressed in a dark navy button up shirt that was just the right fit with the top two button carelessly undone; the shirt was tight enough to show his body lines, but loose enough to not look like a overstuffed sausage. Not to mention that he was flanked by two other equally as attractive males. Blonde haired with a boyish charm the juxtaposed his masculine physique. The other had black hair that almost covered his right eye stood next to him expressionlessly, dressed formally in a sharp black suit and crisp white shirt.

Sam looked away when she made eye contact with tall one. The blonde one grinned as he outright laughs at the tall one as the tall one glared at him.

The three get their drinks and leaves just before Sam food arrives. “Sorry for the wait; here’s your order.”

“Thank you.” Sam smiles as she takes the brown paper bag, it’s a lot heavier than she thought she glances inside, her sandwiches in a paper box and a pink drink next to it. “Oh sorry.” She says stopping the shop assistant. “I didn’t order a drink.”

“Oh the tall gentleman ordered it for you.” She says as she smiles, Sam is a little stunned the shop assistant was very pretty, with a lock of hair tucked behind her ear.

“What’s wrong with all these attractive people today?” She says as she sips the drink, “She still hasn’t figured out what made him buy the drink for her, “Maybe life is feeling sorry for me.” she says as she has officially run out of money and had no where to stay tonight.

Sam wandered around aimlessly, “where am I?” She just kept walking ducking through dark alleyways and eventually ends up in a bit of a dead end. Suddenly a bright light blinded Sam a little bit as someone opened a door and came out with some trash and threw it in the bin before slamming door a bit too hard that it bounced back leaves the door slightly open. Sam was going to turn back when the smell of chicken waffled towards her stopping her in her tracks. A few moments later, the light switch off and silence followed.

“What do I have to lose?”

Her life apparently.

Sam barely took a bite when the light flooded the room and an angry looking young boy that couldn’t be much younger than her burst in and caught her in the act. There was a few beats of shocked silence before everything became a little crazy. The next thing Sam was being forced to walk down the stairs to a brightly lit hallway with soft plush carpet under her feet. The two people who caught her walked behind her were obnoxiously happy to have caught her.

“You’re in some deep !” The one laughed. “Just wait till boss hears what you have done!”

“Totally, like he’s extra pissed today because The Bastarz messed with one of the bars downtown.”

The two stop her to open the door and push her inside.

A figure stood by the pool table in a dimly lit room. She recognized the blonde hair immediately even though his back was towards her and his clothes were different; a simple black tank top stretched across his back. “I thought I told you to bring chicken. I don’t smell chicken. Why are you trying to piss Kris off?” He says as there is a sound of a solid knock.

“We caught someone stealing the chicken…” One of them quickly replies.

The blonde guy turns around and sighs, “Who is it this time?” He stops shortly as he seemingly recognizes Sam.

“The chicken is also on the way” The other adds.

“Never mind the chicken.” Blondie says as with a grin that kind of made Sam feel uncomfortable. “This is better than the chicken. Send her straight to Kris.”

The two grins, “You’re going to get it now!”

They knock on the next door before going in.

“We found someone trying to steal your chicken, boss!” they say suddenly very formally as they pushed the Sam in front of a wooden desk.

“When will the two of you stop bothering me?” A male voice shouts.

Sam does a double take, even though she should be surprised. Even though his face is covered by his hands as he rubs his temple. The navy shirt a little more wrinkled with the sleeves now rolled up was instantly recognizable.

She wasn’t the only one surprised, her shock was returned when the male saw her.

“She was trying to eat your chicken sir!”

“What do you want us to do sir?”

“Teach her a lesson?”

“Beat her up for good measure?”
“SHUT UP!” The he shouts without rising his voice says, “The two of you, get out of here now.”
The two of them scramble away, when it is finally the two of them left.

“What’s your name?” He asks.

“It’s Sam…”

“So Sam, can you tell me why you are you doing here?”

For some reason instead of telling him about the chicken, she started talking about how she ended up on the streets, and to make it stranger, he listened. When she was done speaking, he sat back in his chair.

“Sam I have only on question for you. Do you want to stay here?”

Sam nodded, or more like it seemed like she had no choice but agree.

“Ok, then Sam, Nice to meet you, the name’s Kris.”

Sam stood uncomfortably in the elevator, to her right was Blondie, and to her left was the dark haired one.

The blonde haired one kept trying to stifle his laughter while the dark haired on glared at him. “It’s not funny Jackson.” said the dark haired one. So Blondie’s name is Jackson. Sam thought as she mentally made a note.

“Come on! This is the most fun since-”

“You need to learn when to shut up Jackson.” The dark haired one said. “Kris needs to realize we are not some charity. We’re freaking Mafia no social workers. We shouldn’t be taking strays.” he says monotonously.

“Don’t worry! He’s not always like this.” Jackson says with another grin, “Normally he prefers silence!” He says laughing at his own joke. “Jackson by the way; the moody one is Leo!”

“I’m Sam.”

Jackson and Leo leave her alone is her “new home.” as Jackson had called it, but it was actually a hotel suite in the same building as the basement that acted as their headquarters. Yes, that right, headquarters. “Mafia…” Sam says out loud hoping that saying it out loud would change something. “Did I just get myself involved with the Mafia?”