Chapter 4

Shooting Star

Sam didn’t even have much time to panic, there was a brief knock on the door and Kris’ voice filters through the door. “Can I come in?”

There was no reply, which Kris found strange as Jackson had told him that she was already inside. He walked inside and goes straight to the bed and flips open the bed covers. There was a strange feeling a relief that she wasn’t there was, but where was she?

He turned around to see her sitting in a chair with her legs drawn up as if trying to make herself so small that she would not be seen.

“What are you doing?” He asks as he sits down next to her.

“I don’t know…”

Kris reaches over to get a glass of water but he stops when he sees Sam freeze.

“Don’t worry, we not going to do anything.” Kris says as he takes her hands in him.

“Then what are we going to do?”

“Talk.”

And that is exactly what they did, in the beginning Kris carried most of the conversation but soon Sam felt more comfortable and then the conversation just kept flowing. They talked about everything that popped up in their minds. It wasn’t until housekeeping came to tidy the room did they realize that it was the next morning. Kris saw Sam into a taxi he closed the door before motioned for Sam to open the Window. “Have a safe trip, because you belong to me now.” he says as he reaches over handing Sam a single blush rose that matched her dress. “I’ll see you tonight.”

Jackson was waiting outside of the ‘hotel’.

“So what's the verdict?” Jackson says as he opens the door and helps Sam out of the car.

“Verdict?” Sam says as she steadies herself on her heels, “what are you talking about?”

“Kris… he didn't tell you anything…”

“Not really… just that I belong to him now? I don't know what that means.”

Jacksons face scrunched in confusion. “What rose did he give you?”

How did he know about the rose? Sam couldn't help but feel increasingly disturbed as she held out the rose Kris has given her.”

Jackson swears softly before clearing his throat. “Excuse me for a moment.”

Jackson walks out of earshot but Sam could visible see how agitated he was. He had left for a while and Sam was beginning to wonder if Jackson had forgotten about her. She followed the general direction where Jackson had left to.

“What do you mean she is special to you?” Jackson yells at his phone as he runs his fingers through is hair. “No… you know how I feel about her… I told you!”

Jackson’s eye caught Sams. “I’ll talk to you later.” He says into the phone, hanging up before getting a reply.

Jackson strides towards Sams determined. “How much did you hear?” he says gripping Sam on both sides.

Sam look at him with big eyes too scared, as her word failed her.

“Tell me!”

“Fr.. From the part about someone being special…”

“That’s all?” He says his arms relaxing slightly.

Sam nods slowly as tears started to gather in her eyes, what I did wrong she thought to herself.

Jackson lets go, letting a deep sigh out, letting his arms fall from her arms.

“Sorry, I didn’t mean to make you scared.” he said as he patted her head with a weak smile, making her feel a little bit like a child but she didn’t really mind. “But we need to have a serious talk.”

Sam sat stiffly beside Jackson on the park bench looking out onto the glistening lake.

“Um…” Sam started trying to fill in the silence as an elderly couple stared the two of them still dressed in formalwear.

“Do you like Kris?”

Taken aback from this question, Sam takes a few minutes before she is able to even begin fromulating an answer.

“I…”

“Think for longer if you need.”

Sam nods as they fall back in silence.

“I like him… at least what I have seen of him…”

Jackson smiles sadly, “At least you acknowledge that you know very little of him.”

Sam frowns, “Do you like him?”

“I do, but I guess you could say I am not supposed to.”

“Why?”

“That’s a story for another time… to put it simply, I know every single crime that he has committed, but I also know all good he has done for others, including you.”

Sam nods, taking in what Jackson has just said, it was just like Jackson has said, she has only seen the good side of Kris despite knowing he is a the head of the Mafia, she found it hard to imagine to crimes that he must have committed.

“Would you be able to stay by his side despite knowing this?” Jackson says as he turns to her. “Would you be able to love him despite it?”

Sam remains silent… “Isn’t it a little too soon to talk about this?”

Jackson laughs, “No one can control time, not even the Mafia, how can one stop time when it is already running out?”

Sam looks at Jackson, confused about the relevance of his words. Jackson takes not a not so swiftly steers the conversation elsewhere.

“Would you say the same, if I told you that last nights little event was to see in which industry you were supposed to work?”

“What?”

“After spending the night with a core member of Wu corporations, the person receives a rose, the color indicating which industry you would work in.”

Sam was a bit scared to ask what ‘industries’ there were, but she could imagine…
“So… where I am going?”

Jackson scoffed, “That stupid idiot just does whatever he likes. Your job, in his words, ‘to be by his side’. Which mind you, is not part of any job description that is related to the Mafia.” Jackson looks at Sam with a raised eyebrow, “Don’t you even feel a bit betrayed by the meaning of last night?”

“How many people are ‘by his side’...”

“That is all you care about?”

“No… but I just wanted to know.”

‘No one! But that is not the point; do you know what you are getting into? Do you know what this relationship will entail?” Jackson yells.

Sam remains quiet, it not that she hasn’t thought about it, and it just wasn’t a reality until a few moments before.

“Aren’t you angry that he isn’t even giving you a choice?” Jackson yells even louder.

Sam in her breath, confused at why she was being subjected to this kind of rage.

Jackson notices immediately that he let his emotions get to him once again. “I can’t do this… I can’t watch you make these mistakes.” He says as he gets up.

“If you ever want another option, you know where to find me. Just remember there is so much you don’t know…”


Hello! Long time no update! I am sorry that it took me so long to update. I was feeling quite unmotivated to write anything because I got lazy when I took time off for my exams and holiday last years and it didn'thelp that my friend for which this fic is wirtten for decided to change biases and so this fic was originally going to be much longer but now I would say it is a summary ofthe story but i wanted to do so much more for Jackson. Oh well I will stop rambling now.