Operation Gone Wrong

Lover's Switchblade

Chapter 2: Operation Gone Wrong

 

"This is the nurses station.”

 

You glanced around the room in awe. Gukil Medical Center’s scale and energy was at a much higher level than most other hospitals. There was a long desk stretching down one side of the room, with countless medicine cabinets, and an expansion of whiteboards with patient names scribbled across them. 

 

The sight was truly overwhelming to your small-city girl self.

 

"I'll be giving a lecture at the University," Junmyeon informed, peeking at his watch. "The chief nurse will give you a tour through all the departments.” Junmyeon kindly motioned over to another man with a thick bowl of sepia-colored hair and full, round cheeks. He’s so little, you thought to yourself. Like a steamed bun.

 

"Hi there," he kindly greeted with a small wave and a heart-shaped smile. Omo omo, this man was so strangely adorable you mused. “I’m Kim Minseok, the head nurse. But you can call me Nurse Minseok—there are a lot of Kims working here.” 

 

Because of his cuteness, you didn’t hear what he was saying, so you looked to him blankly, and Minseok seemed to have misunderstood. “Men can be nurses, too!” he quickly added, nodding eagerly while clenching his fists and puffing his chest. “I am quite manly!”

 

You shook your head. “That’s not what I meant, Nurse-nim. Chae Sunhee,” you introduced yourself, giggling. What a cutie. Minseok’s soft personality managed to relax your brooding self at least for a little while. But it wasn't long before you noticed another man walking into the nurses station. Yah, do any girls work here? you mentally quipped. His hair was a distinct ashy blonde color, tousled to an attractive style.

 

You furrowed your eyebrows. He looked very familiar. "Hello, everyone!" he cheerfully greeted.

 

"Mr. Kim!”

 

Kim?! There’s a third Kim here?! Aigoo.. Minseok was right. All these new names were giving you a headache.

 

The man's eyes instantly fell on you, the newcomer. "Who's this?” asked Kim #3.

 

"This is Dr. Chae Sunhee, she just transferred into General Surgery," Minseok replied for you.

 

The man glanced over to your small feminine frame, and you stood in silence as his eyes glossed over you. Aish. What the hell was he looking at? The moment felt like an eternity. "...You're.. Chae Sunhee-ssi?” The man's smile increased tenfold. His lips were like a cat’s, curling up at the corners. ”It’s me, Jongdae-yah!”

 

“Jongdae…oppa?” When you finally got a clear look at his face, your body instantly stiffened. Standing right in front of you was your old best friend, causing you to clutch tightly onto the sides of your white coat. "What are you doing here?" you asked slowly, trying to sound as polite as possible.

 

"I work for the medical supply company. I'm assigned to Gukil Medical Center." He turned to Head Nurse Minseok, still smiling. "We were best friends back in high school.”

 

Minseok cupped his mouth in surprise. “It's a small world.”

 

"It really is!" Jongdae oppa’s eyes sparkled with admiration for you. "So you're a doctor now…”

 

You nodded silently.

 

"I remembered you always saying you wanted to become a doctor, after your mother..." Jongdae’s smile dropped, and he lowered his gaze. "But why at this hospital? This is where she…”

 

"That's enough." You straightened your spine, intensifying your stare on Jongdae. "We're at work.”

 

“Dr. Chae is right," agreed Nurse Minseok, holding up a fist. "Back to work, everyone! Hwaiting!”

 

Jongdae looked so directly into your eyes, it almost blinded you and your heart was thumping madly at the attention. How could this have happened? What would Jongdae think if he knew the real reason why you were here? He didn't know that your mother died of an error, but he still shouldn’t talk about it with all these people around. He would blow your cover.

 

Before you could turn around and leave, suddenly you felt something hold onto your wrist. It was Jongdae’s hand, so tight that his knuckles were white. “Sunhee-yah, tell me if your memories become too much to handle." His forehead was creased in genuine concern for you, and you felt yourself melting into a puddle on the sterile floor.

 

You were shaken by how Jongdae affectionately addressed you. ”All hospitals are the same," you responded flatly after a long pause, pulling your arm away. "Please don't talk about it here.” Your harshness broke your heart, and probably his, too. Jongdae Oppa…

 

Before you could feel bad, Jongdae smiled, looking just like how he did years ago, and you were hit with nostalgia. You nervously tucked a strand of hair behind your left ear, your hand quivering. 

 

"You haven't changed at all," he pointed out. "Still acting all tough..”

 

You shook your head firmly. "You're remembering a high schooler." You turned your back to Jongdae with your shoulders hunched. Aish, why do I have to be like this? "Anyway, we shouldn't be hanging around here..”

 

Jongdae took a step back, quirking an eyebrow. "You're right,” he gasped, suddenly remembering that you two were standing in the middle of the bustling Nurses Station. “I'm sorry.”

 

“Dr. Chae, shall we begin the tour?" asked Minseok.

 

"Of course." You kept your back to Jongdae. "Sorry, I have to go."

 

.

 

The tour began with the surgical unit. That was where you were going to be spending most of your time for as long as you were at Gukil Medical Center. Nurse Minseok introduced you to the rest of the units in under half an hour. He told you that at a hospital as large as Gukil, the need for this type of organization was crucial.

 

"I know it's a lot to take in," Nurse-nim pointed out. The end of the tour led you two back to a busy hallway in Department of General Surgery. "So don't be afraid to ask any questions.”

 

"Thank you." You bowed your head in appreciation. “I-"

 

“Nurse-nim!”

 

Interrupting you mid-sentence, another nurse with curly orange hair and glistening innocent eyes suddenly came running up behind Minseok. His nametag read 'Nurse Luhan.’ He looks like a deer, you judged, slightly entertained. What a beauty. Aigoo, all the men working here are so attractive!

 

"What's the matter?” asked Nurse Minseok.

 

Luhan looked distressed. His hands were wrapped tightly around a thick stack of medical charts and his knuckles turned a ghastly white. "Department of Internal Medicine just called," he informed solemnly. "They need you for an emergency operation.”

 

Minseok seonbae took it all in stride. "Any doctors available?”

 

“No."

 

While you witnessed the scene unfold, you could feel your doctorly senses instantly kicking in. I could save her you thought eagerly. Suddenly, out of all the things in this world, you wanted nothing more than to help the patient in trouble.

 

“I’m available right now,” you spoke up. "Do you have the patient's medical records?" Luhan handed them over to you and briefly you scanned over the chart. Much to your relief, although you never performed the surgery before, it looked rather simple.

 

"What do you think?" asked Nurse Minseok. "I know it's only your first day.”

 

"I'll perform the operation," you responded, nodding insistently. Fighting, Sunhee-ah! Your grip on the medical charts tightened with newfound determination. "I'll be fine,” you added.

 

"Thank goodness." Nurse Luhan smiled in relief, and that was enough to send your head spinning. His chin… was perfectly shaped to a V. And the way his eyes lit up! Was he a model or something?! "I'll make the preparations!”

 

You in a deep breath to straighten out your thoughts. Focus, focus. In the meantime, while Nurse Luhan had the operating room set up, you made your way triumphantly down the hall. There was a new bounce in your step.

 

I’ll show them. I’ll save this patient.

 

.

 

The blinding fluorescent lights of the operating room and the large group of assistants, the clutter of noisy machines, and the complicated set of surgical tools failed to impede you as you performed the surgery. In just under an hour, all that was left of the operation was the stitching. Your hands moved smoothly and efficiently while you turned to grab the tools the nurses had laid out for you.

 

Beep! Beep! Beep!

 

What?! Your heart got caught in your throat when you heard the monitor reach a critical state. You hoped that your ears were tricking you.

 

"Blood pressure's dropping!" Minseok reported. "Vitals are low!”

 

#$@&%*! Your hands started shaking as you reviewed everything you had done. Stay calm. Like a mantra, you repeated those two words in your head. But you could’ve sworn your actions were without mistake—what could be wrong?

 

Breathing deeply, you searched the body lying in front of you for the site of bleeding.

 

But then, a voice cut deep into your thoughts: "You, step aside," it said.

 

"Excuse me?" You turned around. A man with smooth, middle-parted platinum blonde hair and a mask covering the lower half of his oval face advanced towards the operating table. His tall, slender frame and the way he walked gave him the appearance of a Korean prince. Most of all, he didn't spare the slightest glance at you.

 

"Dr. Oh!" This man was already famous among the group of assistants.

 

Dr. Oh? You couldn’t believe it when you realized you were looking at one of the best surgeons around, and more importantly, the son of the director. "How can a doctor expect to perform an operation if she's anxious?" Dr. Oh questioned you, frowning at your stressed facial expression. He then said firmly, not giving you the time to reply, "I'll take it from here." 

 

Obviously his mind was already in the game. You pressed your lips tightly together. Yah, who did this man think he was?! You didn’t even get a hello, or an introduction. Just criticism. Out of all the people you had met so far, you quickly came to like Oh Sehun seonbae the least. What a shibal shekki.

 

The snobby surgeon glanced briefly at the patient. "You didn't do anything wrong," he pointed out. "A hematoma had burst on its own.”

 

You watched in disbelief as Sehun took over your operation without uttering a single word. Realizing you didn’t have the time or space to remain irritated, you quickly calmed down and helped him to the best of your ability. You were admittedly fascinated by the mysterious doctor. He moved so naturally, so smoothly, all with a calm, serious expression.

 

To think he was the director's son. The son of a cheating, heinous, and dishonorable man. Before you knew it, the operation was finished successfully.

 

You were in complete awe.

 

.

 

A/N: So Sehun's in the story now. :3 What do you think of him? Please leave me your thoughts! ^^