Super Doctor

Lover's Switchblade

Chapter 3: Super Doctor

 

When you pushed through the doors of the operating room, you let down your hair, cascading in coffee-coloured locks, and released a deep sigh of relief. "I can't thank you enough,“ you said, bowing low in deep gratitude.

 

Sehun, standing to your right at the moment, didn't bother responding to you. Yah, was this man deaf?!

 

"Who knows what could've happened if you weren't there?" you added. Your eye flinched while you tried to hide the snideness in your voice, and once again, Sehun pretended not to hear you. You wanted to spark some interaction with the man, but he carried on with his quiet, unreadable manner. Was he hiding a painful past or something, you wondered. Aish. He’s just like those boys from the Korean dramas. 

 

You furrowed your brows, glaring holes into his chiseled back. ”You really saved me back there, doctor-nim.”

 

Be patient, Sunhee-yah. You relaxed your shoulders and took a deep calming breath.

 

From behind, you noticed Sehun had tensed his jaw. The already sharp structures of his face sharpened even more. "I didn't save you, I saved the patient," he responded insensitively. 

 

Your jaw dropped.

 

Well, that was true

 

But still caught in disbelief, you watched after his retreating figure in silence. Sehun’s lengthy legs allowed for him to increase the distance between you two pretty quickly. He’s so cold you judged, rubbing your arms as if you were cold. But, you had to admit that he was an amazing doctor. You suddenly thought of your mother, and your expression darkened slightly. If only Sehun was her surgeon, during the fated operation…

 

Maybe eomeoni would still be alive..

 

"Are you the new doctor?”

 

Your head snapped up to the voice. Suddenly approaching you was another young man dressed in a white coat and black dress shirt. He had blond hair styled down, covering a large portion of his forehead. Aside from the stethoscope hanging around his neck, he didn't look like a doctor. More like a y Korean Idol.

 

"I am," you answered.

 

"I'm Dr. Byun Baekhyun, but you can call me Baekhyun-ah,” he introduced, holding out a cordial hand. His lips curled to form a large, inviting grin. "I come from Internal Medicine.”

 

"Dr. Chae Sunhee, from General Surgery." You shook on it, feeling the tension inside you rapidly melting away. Baekhyun had that sort of effect.

 

"Thank you so much for taking on the operation." Baekhyun the contours of his stethoscope without thinking, like it was second nature. “The patient’s alive because of you.”

 

You quickly put the pieces together. "He was your patient?”

 

"He was." Baekhyun’s smile disappeared. "But I didn't realize it was your first day. I'm sorry.”

 

"Just a minor complication." You shook your head. "But if you want to thank anyone, thank Dr. Oh.”

 

Baekhyun smile’s transformed into a smirk hearing Sehun’s name. "Ah, so Super Doctor made an appearance?" he asked. "Have you been graced by his talents?”

 

The corners of your lips twitched, trying to form coherent words that could respond to Baekhyun’s teasing remark. This man is unbelievable. Graced by his talents? Hah! Sehun seonbae is a PABO. A jerk. A Shibaaaal shekki.

 

Baekhyun chuckled while you tried to hide the sarcasm behind the smile you were trying to put on. ”He’d be the perfect guy if he was nice, too, huh?” he asked you.

 

No. Oh Sehun is far, faaaar from perfect. You in a breath to say something, but Baekhyun interrupted you.

 

“Anyway, don't hesitate to drop by Internal Medicine if you need anything,” he offered. “Or a person to lean on." He winked at you, and your legs grew weak at his attractive and undemanding personality. Completely unexpected of a doctor, or a colleague. 

 

”See you later, Sunhee-yah!”

 

He waved again to say goodbye, then left your side with a stupid grin. But you crossed your arms and pouted. What the hell? What was it with him acting all buddy-buddy and calling me by my first name? His personality in the office was nothing like Dr. Kim’s and Dr. Oh’s—those two were so much more uptight in comparison.

 

Well, I guess I could call him Baekhyun-ah, too..

 

.

 

 

"Toast to Dr. Chae’s first successful operation!”

 

“Cheers!"

 

You found yourself at a surprise welcome party that night, holding up a glass of rice wine with the rest of the General Surgery department. Your new colleagues had reserved a long table spanning the length of the small bistro, and you found yourself relaxing to the cheerful and friendly atmosphere.

 

"Where's Dr. Oh?" you asked.

 

"He usually doesn't come to these things," answered Nurse Luhan. "He likes to be alone, so we don’t bother him.”

 

You nodded and clumsily reached for your wine glass to hide your disappointment. You meant to ask for details on the director tonight, but now that was impossible with Sehun absent. Before you came to Gukil Medical Center, you didn’t expect the director to have a son. At the time, the news was too good to be true. But now you figured Lady Luck balanced things out by making Sehun a cold and quiet jerk. Hul.

 

"How was the operation?" Junmyeon asked you. "It must've been great seeing him in action.”

 

You nodded eagerly in agreement. "He was amazing. I learned a lot.” But he’s a kochu.

 

"Dr. Kim is also a very skilled surgeon," Nurse Minseok commented.

 

"Oh, I wouldn't say that. My skills are definitely no match for you, nurse,” Junmyeon replied.

 

"You're always saying things like that.” Minseok blushed.

 

Junmyeon chuckled. "In my honest opinion, the one you should be worrying about is Jongdae-ssi.”

 

Unsuspecting and oblivious, Jongdae oppa lifted an eyebrow in interest. "What are you guys talking about?" he inquired, slowly and cautiously.

 

"I hear you're very popular with the nurses.." At Junmyeon’s teasing, Minseok slapped him in the arm, feeling very embarrassed.

 

With a smile, Jongdae sighed and sat back in his chair. "Nah, I wouldn't say that,” he coolly responded.

 

"But you and Dr. Chae seem pretty close," Nurse Luhan pointed out, his doe eyes sparkling in curiosity. “You two were old friends in high school, right?”

 

Junmyeon had a surprised look on his face hearing that new piece of information. "Perhaps this was your fated reunion?” he wondered.

 

You were quick to shake your head. “Ani! No, nothing like that.." You aggressively ran a hand through your hair, making Jongdae chuckle at your cuteness. Aish. You knew that Jongdae oppa could see right through you. It was like you two were back in high school. Shyly, you shrunk back into your chair.

 

No, Sunhee-yah. A relationship at the office is the last thing I need. It was time you changed the topic of conversation to something more in alignment with your interests. “S-so, Kim Junmyeon seonbae, how long have you been at Gukil Medical Center?" you asked. "The Director seems to already trust you with a lot.”

 

"Ever since I was a resident." Junmyeon looked up, as if to count the years. "So.. about twelve years or so?”

 

You nodded, registering his response. If your math was right, Junmyeon must’ve been around when your mother was admitted. If someone were to know something about the incident, that person would be the smart and calculating Junmyeon, wouldn't it? That seemed very likely to you.

 

Too deep into your thoughts, you didn’t notice when a dark mass moved to sit beside you. You turned to your right, spotting a tall and thin man in a black suit. His facial features were distinctly angular, covered partially by his platinum-blonde hair.

 

"Dr. Oh?" You turned and frowned at his shoulder—this man was so much taller than you were, now that you two were so close to each other. What was this arsehole suddenly doing here?!

 

Junmyeon held up the bottle of wine, casually welcoming Sehun’s presence. "Dr. Oh, would you like a drink?" he kindly asked him.

 

"No, I'm working tomorrow." Cold and concise as always, Sehun turned down the offer. He turned to look straight at you instead, which made you lean back, all of a sudden feeling scared for your life. 

 

He looks so scary you couldn’t stop thinking. His sharp eyebrows, thin lips, and pointed chin didn’t make him look nice at all. Your jaw wouldn’t stop quivering as Sehun opened his mouth slightly, forming his next string of words. You expected him to scold you, or call you a pabo for your poor performance during the surgery today.

 

 "You're talented, and dedicated," he instead commented, each word coming slowly from his mouth. "You just need some more experience.”

 

Omo omo.

 

He was complimenting you!

 

You immediately did a happy dance in your head, accepting the praise. "Thank you," you couldn’t stop from gushing, bowing your head low. Okay, so he’s not so much of a jerk anymore. The words felt amazing to you since they came from such a talented doctor, a.k.a. Oh Sehun-ssi.

 

Sehun sighed, rolled his eyes, and waved off your generous display of your gratitude.

 

Shortly following the exchange, Nurse Minseok led in wrapping things up and closing the party. Could it be that Oh Sehun-ssi came to the party only to compliment you? 

 

The more you thought about him, the harder he was to read.

 


A/N: Hope you enjoyed! Please don't be afraid to let me know what you think! ^^

Sehunnie is not pleased. x'D