Office Politics

Lover's Switchblade

Chapter 1: Office Politics

 

"Ah, Miss Chae, we've been impatiently awaiting your arrival.”

 

You attempted to fake a smile to Director Oh as he spoke with you in his office.

 

So this was the man that killed your mother.

 

It had been a long time since the director held a surgical knife. Now he was a rich and powerful director of one of the most influential hospitals in the world. Brilliant red carpets decorated the wood flooring, and a glossy brown desk stood as the centerpiece. Behind it towered a vitreous glass case containing a vast array of trinkets and rewards, and to the left stretched panoramic windows decorated with matching red curtains.

 

"Likewise," you replied, shaking his slightly wrinkled hand. "I've been looking forward to this day for quite a while…"

 

Before the director managed to say anything else, there came a knock on the door. It creaked open to reveal a head of gorgeous, slicked up hazel hair and a handsome, structured face to match. A pair of glasses sat on top of his nose bridge, in front of his kind mahogany eyes.

 

"I can see that I'm late," he said. His tone of voice was calm, professional.

 

"Ah, Dr. Kim, come in, come in!" The director smiled in your direction. "Miss Chae, this is Dr. Kim Junmyeon, from Department of General Surgery.”

 

"You have quite the reputation," said Junmyeon as he politely shook hands with you. “Someone had told me that you were considerably skilled at your previous hospital.”

 

"You can't believe everything you hear." You casually shrugged with another smile. Just keep smiling, Sunhee-yah.

 

"You indeed show great promise," chimed in Director Oh. "I'm sure you'll fit in well with the rest of our respected and honorable staff. Gukil Medical Center isn't so popular without reason.”

 

You cracked a sarcastic smile. This man, Director Oh, covered up your mother's death, like it meant nothing to him! Respected and honorable, my , you thought.

 

"You flatter me," you decided to respond instead. Hul hul hul.

 

"By the way," asked the director, "where's Sehun-ah?”

 

"Dr. Oh is currently operating," Junmyeon answered. "He said he'll try his best to make it, but couldn’t promise anything.”

 

"Dr. Oh?" you wondered out loud. Isn’t that the director's name?

 

"Yes, my son, Sehun-ah,” said the director. His brows were furrowed in obvious disappointment. "My apologies, Miss Chae—I thought I told him to keep his schedule open for today..”

 

A son? Hul, daaaebak. Hearing that was a pleasant surprise to you. Getting close to him could be a good way to get close to the director you conspired to yourself. Maybe Oh Sehun seonbae could give you some details on the director, his father. Covering your mouth, you held back a smirk.

 

"Dr. Oh is exceptionally dedicated when it comes to his patients," Junmyeon mused, rubbing his chin. "After all, he's listed as one of the most innovative surgeons of our time in Discover Magazine.”

 

"Ah, but Dr. Kim, you were on that list as well," laughed director Oh.

 

Junmyeon chuckled back. "I'm not as skilled at the knife compared to Oh Sehun hoobae..”

 

Most innovative surgeons of their time? You were thoroughly impressed. During this moment, you realized your new colleagues were a group of very powerful people. You had to be careful around them.

 

"Well, Miss Chae, sorry for digressing." Director Oh acknowledged you again. "Shall we proceed to the welcome lunch?”

 

"Excuse me?”

 

"A lunch, in your honor." With a kind smile, Junmyeon opened the door and motioned for you to get going. "After you.”

 

.

 

 

Director Oh treated you and Kim Junmyeon seonbae to an unexpectedly pricey restaurant. The interior was decorated extravagantly with comfortable floor pillows, sturdy screen dividers, and ornate low-rise tables.

 

"Dr. Chae, correct me if I'm wrong, but you worked at a hospital back in Gangnam?”

 

You found yourself sitting across from the director, to Junmyeon’s right. "Yes," you deadpanned, bowing your head politely.

 

"Your parents must miss you," Junmyeon commented. "Gangnam is quite far from here.”

 

"Well, actually-" You cleared your throat, catching yourself. At the mention of your parents, you subconsciously grasped onto the hem of your skirt, with a noticeably firm grip. You obviously needed to avoid the subject of your parents, at all times. A million frenzied thoughts swirled around in your head.

 

You instantly straightened your sitting posture. "-That reminds me, Director Oh, you have a son that works at Gukil Medical Center, as well?” you asked, acknowledging your point of interest, your target.

 

Director Oh nodded. "My son, Sehun-ah. He is a surgeon at the hospital. I really would've liked for him to introduce himself to you today, so my apologies once again.”

 

"I can introduce them," Junmyeon generously offered.

 

"Ah, no…" The director waved off the proposition. "You have better ways to use your time, Dr. Kim.”

 

"But it's my job to support you, seongsang-nim, and your son.”

 

"Ah, Miss Chae, isn't Dr. Kim such a great guy?" The director smiled in utter appreciation. "It's my plan to have him and Sehun bring Gukil Medical Center into its finest era.”

 

As Junmyeon bowed his head in respect, you knew that this man, Kim Junmyeon, was a very trusted ally to the director. He must know a lot about the hospital, and Director Oh, too. How lucky, you were, to have him as your mentor! You made a mental note to keep him on your good side.

 

"You must trust them very much," you remarked.

 

"Sehunnie is passionate and extremely talented, but he's very stubborn," informed the director. "But Dr. Kim here—he's very well-rounded. Together, they make a formidable team.”

 

"Oh, I wouldn't say that, seongsang-nim.”

 

"Please, stop being so modest. I'm sure that with any unexpected event, the hospital can overcome it without a hitch…”

 

As you listened to the conversation that was growing between Kim Junmyeon seonbae and the director, you didn't notice that you had your eyes narrowed slightly. "Any unexpected event?" you interrupted, just barely keeping your voice level. "Are you aware of anything like that?”

 

"Are you thinking of something in particular?" Director Oh was curious, completely unaware of your sudden hostility.

 

"No, nothing like that." You relaxed your eyes, faking a nonchalant demeanor. "It's just—patients can be very sensitive nowadays," you elaborated. "They make a big deal over even the littlest of things. In fact, I remember seeing a medical malpractice suit on the news yesterday..”

 

Director Oh’s expression darkened. You bit your tongue, realizing that you had pushed too hard. To play it off, you uneasily took a sip of your watermelon soju.

 

"You don't have to worry about anything like that at our hospital," Junmyeon said firmly. "Our patients trust our doctors very much.”

 

"I see.." You nodded slowly. Maybe Kim Junmyeon seonbae didn't know of the accident with your mother. It was twelve years ago, after all. "I didn't mean to imply anything, I apologize," you ended the conversation.

 

.

 

The rest of lunch proceeded calmly. Even though nothing important was brought up in your table conversations with Junmyeon and the director, you could feel yourself slowly gaining their comfort and trust in you.

 

"I must get going,” Director Oh excused himself early. “Dr. Kim, don't forget to Miss Chae back to the hospital.”

 

"Thank you for lunch,” you thanked him. You stood up and bowed low.

 

When the director finally left, you heard an exhausted sigh. You turned to face Kim Junmyeon seonbae, flashing him a questioning look. What was he sighing about, you wondered.

 

"Faking smiles is very tiring," Junmyeon said quietly with a grimace, so quietly that it seemed like he was talking to himself.

 

You were taken aback. "Excuse me, s-seonbae?” you uttered out.

 

"You don't want to get on director-nim’s bad side,” Junmyeon explained to you while he shook his head. "The way you were digging back there, it made him nervous.”

 

"I.." You couldn’t say a word. Hul. Junmyeon seonbae had completely fooled you. You were under the impression that he was foremost devoted to the director. But in reality, the way he acted—it was only for office politics.

 

"Perhaps there really was something on your mind?”

 

Caught off guard, you refocused your wandering mind. Junmyeon smiled to you knowingly, sending a chill down your spine. His face was unreadable and calculating. Aish, this man is nobody’s fool; he could see right through me you thought.

 

As a result, you felt completely vulnerable and exposed. Because he made you feel this way, you suddenly registered that you had to be careful around this seonbae.

 

“Are you out to get the director? And the hospital?” he continued.

 

"I don't know why you would say something like that," you cleverly quipped, crossing your arms. "You're being absolutely absurd.”

 

Junmyeon only chuckled in response. "Well in any event, we should get going..."

 


Thanks for reading! <3 Please let me know what you think and don't be afraid to give me feedback, it'd mean the world to me! :D

Sehun should be appearing in the next chapter. :3

-chennie_penpen