Take the Shot!

Nightfall

Ji Hong stared blankly at the computer screen in front of him. He can't even remember the last time he blinked. It has been forty minutes now. After endless days of packing and unpacking into his new apartment, he's tired. The problem is that he doesn't know if he's tired because of the physical work or the fact that it has actually happened. His longtime relationship with Chun Sung Im is over. Friends and family were upset at the news of wedding cancellation. People wanted explanation but how was he supposed to explain something like this to people? 

"Hyung?" Ji Hong looked away from the screen and turned his head to see Yoon Do standing there. "I can't...sleep." 

"Why?" 

Yoon Do bit his lower lip. "I miss Sung Im.." 

Ji Hong sighed. "I know," he stood up from his seat and walked over to his younger brother. "You can visit her over the weekend like I promised." 

"But you won't be there," Yoon Do said. ".......I like it....when....all three of....us are together..." 

"It will take time," Ji Hong replied. To be honest, he doesn't know if time would heal. Since breaking off the wedding, Sung Im has been increasingly pressuring his team about certain cases. Putting the blames on him and such. Even if she didn't become his wife, she still remains as his Lieutanant. "I'll make you a nice breakfast tomorrow, okay?"

Yoon Do doesn't know much. Maybe it's because of his childlike personality but no matter how much he tries to learn or know, he can't manage to remember it all. In the years that he knows Sung Im for, she has been nothing but kind to him. She does talk rough with Ji Hong but it was their thing, something she has done because Sung Im is his boss. "Do you....hate her?" Just a few days ago, he had asked if he loved her like their parents did. Next thing he knows, they ended breaking up. Yoon Do may doesn't know much about relationships, he has never been in one. "Hyung...." 

"Yoon Do-ah...." Ji Hong took a deep breath to control the frustration in him. Since they moved into their new apartment, Yoon Do has been endlessly asking the same questions. No matter how many times he has answered, it's asked again. "Let hyung rest." 

"What about Hye Jung?" Yoon Do asked. 

Ji Hong noticed that there was no stuttering when he asked. "She's going to be fine." 

"On......the....streets?" 

"What do you want me to do about it?" Ji Hong asked. "Find her? Tell her to move in with practically strangers? Find a new job? Help her with her life?" Ji Hong furrowed her eyebrows together. "You don't know this but I hurt her enough. Even if I want to help, I doubt that she would want it." 

Yoon Do started shivering from the raise of his brother'a voice. He would never raise his voice at him. "Bed....I'm going to bed." 

Ji Hong closed his eyes, not knowing what to say. At this moment, there are all kinds of stress going on with him. His eyes adverted over to the picture frame on his desk, a picture of his parents and Yoon Do when he was younger. This was probably taken four years before the car accident. The last and only family picture they took. If there was one regret in this world, it's the fact that he doesn't have enough pictures with his parents. Despite them dying when Yoon Do was at a young age, he has more pictures with them than Ji Hong ever did. And the only sole reason is because Ji Hong was a stubborn immature teenager. He hated pictures and would make up lies to get out of taking a picture with his mom or dad. "I miss you....." he whispered under his breath. At times like this, he wished that their parents were still alive and his dad could share some advice on what he is supposed to do. 

. . .

"Leader Hong," Seo Woo said softly as she looked up at their board. It's blank, like how it's been for the last few days. It wasn't like they didn't have cases to do but those cases takes a day and they're done. It's like their team has been given the task to finish off what other slackers did. "We have to say something about this." 

Young Gook mixed his cream and sugar together into the coffee. "And what should we EXACTLY say? Hey, give us some hard cases." 

Kang Soo sighed. "It's better than sitting around here, making ourselves look like fools." He looked over to the door where fellow detectives of other departments are walking by, laughing and pointing at them. "This is just cruel."

Ji Hong spun around on the chair as he glanced over to the clock. It's already past four in the afternoon. Their shift ends at six. They've been doing nothing but just sitting around here. "Maybe we should just leave early." 

Seo Woo stared in surprised. "Leave early? Wouldn't that get us in even more trouble?" 

"What are we? Middle school students?" Young Gook asked. "With the exception of Seo Woo and Kang Soo, we're in our thirties. If our supposed boss isn't doing anything for us, why should we make her department the best?" Grabbing his jacket, he stood up. "I don't know about you but I'm in the mood for fried chicken and soju." 

Kang Soo felt the urge to jump up in agreement but stayed in his seat, watching Ji Hong's facial expression. Carefully standing up slowly while grabbing his jacket, he gave an uneasy smile. "I don't mind for some fried chicken." 

Ji Hong laughed at Kang Soo's slow and careful movements as if he was going to say anything to make him in trouble. Nodding his head, took out his credit card and grinned. "It's been a while since the whole team went out to eat right?" 

Seo Woo smiled. "Alright!!" 

As they were walking out of the office, Ji Hong halted his steps. "Wait...." he gave his team members a smile. "You mind if I invite someone?" 

"Who? Yoon Do?" 

. . . 

Young Gook, Kang Soo and Seo Woo stared at Yoo Hye Jung with wide eyes. They don't know what exactly say. When Ji Hong started driving around for twenty minutes, saying he was looking for someone. The members thought that he was turning crazy. Who would he look for on the streets? But after twenty minutes, they couldn't believe their eyes. There she was, sitting and shivering by a trash can. Her clothes were ripped and she looks like she lost more than fifteen pounds since the last time they saw her. 

Now here they are, sitting in a fried chicken restaurant - waiting for their food. 

Ji Hong looked up at his team members. "You're literally going to cause a hole on her head if you keep staring." 

Seo Woo blinked her eyes. "Sorry." 

"It's okay....." Hye Jung muttered. She looked around, a little embarrassed that she looks like this around them. "I'm sorry for the way I look." 

Kang Soo smiled. "Don't be silly. You're fine." 

The server came with three baskets of fried chicken and soju. He stopped and looked at Hye Jung briefly. "Uh, enjoy." 

Ji Hong took a drumstick and handed it over to Hye Jung. "You should eat." 

Young Gook nodded his head. "Go ahead." 

Hye Jung couldn't feel anything else but shame. She has finally reached the end of her life. She could deal with not showering for weeks, not drinking for days. The one thing she hated was to bring other people into her life. Making them feel bad for her or forcing them to share things with her. She had her pride back then. She would have refused this quickly if it was offered. But here she is, sitting with four strangers, people who she should hate - having dinner together. "Thanks." Taking the drumstick, she started eating the chicken.

Seo Woo watched as Hye Jung ripped the meat off the bones quickly, stuffing the food into her. "Take your time." 

Kang Soo looked over at Ji Hong. "Shouldn't we help her find a home?" 

"No." Hye Jung immediately answered. "I'm fine."

"Sweetie, winter is about to start." Seo Woo said. "It'll be a lot colder than how it is now. You're not going to survive out there. You should at least let us help."

Hye Jung shook her head. "I'll find a place soon." 

Ji Hong smiled. "Let her eat." 

Kang Soo clenched his teeth after taking a sip of the soju. "Ahhhh, that's the good stuff." 

Ji Hong laughed. "Eat as many and drink as much as you want. I'll buy." 

"Of course!!!!" Seo Woo and Young Gook screamed. 

Hye Jung watched silently as they started getting into their conversation. The way they laughed and made jokes at each other. The way she noticed that Seo Woo and Young Gook were arguing but they were noticeably taking care of each other. Even the way Kang Soo, who took care of his sunbae's soju glass. Shame and jealousy immediately hit her. This was supposed that she and Jun Ki used to do all the time. Even with Jung Pa Ran, the three of them spent so much time together at night when they were young. Maybe that's where Pa Ran's drinking obsession came to happen. 

"Hye Jung....." Kang Soo stared at her. "You're crying." 

Wiping the tears away, she exhaled deeply. This is what happens when she thinks about Jun Ki or Pa Ran all the time. "Sorry." 

"Don't be sorry!" 

Young Gook snapped his fingers. "Every single time you say sorry, you have to take a shot of soju." 

"What? I'm sorry?" Hye Jung asked since she couldn't hear him clearly. 

"SEE!! Drink!!!" Seo Woo laughed. 

Ji Hong chuckled. He knew this was a way of his team members to make Hye Jung more comfortable around them. He's glad that he had brought her along, maybe this will ease her mind and erase all the negative thoughts she has about him and his team. "You heard them. Drink." 

Hye Jung stared at the drink, she couldn't help but laugh at the situation she is in. "Damn." Taking the soju glass, she immediately downed it in one shot. "Wow..."

. . .

Ji Hong groaned as he carried drunk Hye Jung into the apartment. Once the door closed, he dropped her onto the couch. Taking a few step back, Ji Hong inhaled and exhaled heavily while leaning against the wall. After four intense hours of eating chicken and drinking alcohol, almost everybody was so drunk that words started slurring and heads started banging against the table. Thank goodness that Ji Hong has always been the designated driver or it would've been a bigger mess than he could handle. He looked at Hye Jung, as she restlessly slept. He grabbed a blanket from the storage closet, carefully putting it over Hye Jung. He sat down next to the couch and furrowed his eyebrow as he looked at her. Despite being in the current living situation she is, her beauty is still the same. Some would say that she shined only among the men that she surrounded herself with but one look at her, you wouldn't think that. Not only is she beautiful from the outside but she is so inside. The life that she lived and is still living, no one should be going through it. He halted his breathing once he saw Hye Jung stirring in her sleep.

"Jun Ki...." Hye Jung muttered as she stirred around. "Jun Ki."

Ji Hong blinked his eyes several times as she repeated the name. Hearing his name again makes him remember what happened earlier at the restaurant.

Two Hours Ago.

Ji Hong smiled while taking the receipt from the lady. "Thank you." As he walked back over to their table, he shook his head at the sight in front of him. Seo Woo and Young Gook were dead asleep while Kang Soo, clearly drunk was singing an old song that's not even in his generation. "Hey, let's get going. It'll take me at least two hours to drag each and every one of you home." Ji Hong glanced over at Hye Jung, who seems to be wide awake. He stood up and grabbed onto her arm. "I'll take you to the car first."

"Don't touch me!" Hye Jung suddenly screamed as she punched Ji Hong.

Surprised by her action, he looked around a little startled as people watched. "Hye Jung? Is there something wrong?"

"Something wrong?" Hye Jung stood up, her footsteps a little sideways since she's obviously drunk. "Do you see how I look like? How I am living? I am a mess! I look...dirty!" She scoffed, clenching onto the edge of the table so she wouldn't fall. "This is all your fault. Your damn fault!"

Ji Hong cleared his throat. "I'm sorry..."

"Sorry?" Hye Jung clapped her hands furiously. "You know the deal! Say sorry and take the shot!" Hye Jung grabbed the last filled shot of soju and handed it over to him. "Drink up!"

"Hye Jung..." Some of the soju spilled all over the floor, Ji Hong looked at her. "You just need to calm down a bit and maybe..."

"Maybe what? Walk out here and wait for my death? Do you know how it is for me out there?! I have to stay wide awake most of the time because I'm scared that Lee Sung Jong and his damn son would find me! They will take me into another empty secluded building and beat me up until I couldn't breathe! Leaving me scars for the rest of my life!" She started ripping the jacket of her, revealing all the wounds and scars she has. Most of the people in the restaurant gasped in shock. "LOOK AT ME!"

Ji Hong glanced over at the rest, they were too drunk to notice anything. "Yoo Hye Jung, I know that it's my fault and I feel so bad about it."

"Drink it!!!" Hye Jung screamed again. She slowly moved over to him, shoving the glass harder onto his chest. "Keep the deal with the game! You wouldn't want to break another promise, do you?!"

"If this is about Jun Ki, I'm still working on it with my Captain." Ji Hong tried to help her when it looked like she was about to lose balance but she only shoved him even harder. "Haven't you been talking with Jun Ki? Hasn't he been telling you what's been happening?" Since the case was dropped when the Fallen members were in jail, Ji Hong has been visiting Jun Ki every week to go over some details. It's a working process since Jun Ki is stubborn but he is slowing breaking down. If Jun Ki can give a a little more detail on who else has helped Fallen in the past, the court may cut out a deal on the twenty year sentence on Jun Ki into five years. Fallen was one of the biggest and most known gang in Seoul for two decades. Putting them down has been the biggest news since it happened. Another way to top that is to put the other gangs down. The faster they work, the faster he'll be able to leave prison and be with Hye Jung. "He and I have been discussing - "

"It's over." Hye Jung muttered under her breath.

"What?"

Hye Jung looked at him. "He broke up with me within one week in prison. I haven't seen or talked to him since."

"He broke up with you?" Before he could ask anything further, his eyes widened when Hye Jung suddenly fell onto the floor. "Hye Jung!"

Present Time.

"Jun Ki......Jun Ki..." Hye Jung repeated in her sleep.

. . .

Hye Jung blinked her eyes several times. The immediately after effect of the soju hit her head as soon as her eyes opened. With the massive headache, she groaned. "Oh my God..." she said loudly when she noticed Yoon Do sitting very closely to her. "What are you doing?"

Yoon Do smiled. "Morning."

"Morning?" She looked around her surroundings. "Where am I?"

"...my apartment." Yoon Do answered. "Ji Hong....made...breakfast..for us." He grabbed onto Hye Jung's arm and dragged her over to the dining table. "He...told me to wait....for you."

Hye Jung stared at the cardboard boxes around the living room. "Where is he?"

"Downstairs." Yoon Do started eating right away. He waited for her to wake up for the past thirty minutes. No matter how hungry he was, he had to listen to Ji Hong's words. "He got....a...phone call."

She stared at the food in her front of her. Hye Jung knew that she shouldn't eat it but if she didn't, starvation will happen for the rest of the day. Settling down, she took a deep breath and started eating. As was full with food, she stopped when the sound of the door opened.

Ji Hong stared at her while clearing his throat. As he placed the phone into his back pocket, he slowly started grabbing the car keys. "Hye Jung..."

"I'm sorry for disturbing your home and I will leave as soon as I eat." Hye Jung sighed. "About last night, I really don't mean what - "

"Hye Jung..." Ji Hong didn't know what to say to ease the pain. "I got a phone call from the prison."

She dropped her chopsticks and knit her eyebrows. "And?"

"We need to go to the hospital."

"Why?"

Ji Hong closed his eyes briefly. "Jun Ki is in surgery right now, in critical condition. He tried to kill himself."

. . .

A/N: WOW! It took me almost two weeks to write this, I am so disappointed in myself. You guys, I've REWRITTEN this chapter more than five times. This had to be one of my biggest and most hardest writer's block ever. I hate myself for delaying this chapter for so long. I am so sorry! I feel so horrible for making you wait for so long! This chapter was mainly supposed to be how the team is doing and what Hye Jung thinks of them with the ending being that ending I had planned earlier. I don't know why it was so hard to write it. The amount of times I had to rewrite this chapter is crazy, I felt like a failure for a few days. But IT'S FINALLY HERE SO I HOPE YOU GUYS LIKED IT. Sorry if it wasn't exciting or anything. Thank you for being so patient and continuing to read my stories!

REPLIES from CHAPTER SIX:

@Annalise93: WOW! HI! I'VE MISSED YOUR COMMENTS! Yes, more Yoon Do is awesome! ahaha, thank you for the comment!

@lsumner91: thank you for the comment! (:

@joyhard: awww, I try to cooperate some life lessons into my stories so I'm glad you noticed! thank you for the comment!

@rinsen: awwwwwww, your comment is so cute! thank you!

@qwerthree: ahaha, so happy to make your heart flutter! thank you!!!

@crystsari: omg, thank you for calling me an amazing writer! it seriously means a lot to me! An indirect angel? I love that! thank you so much for the beautiful comment!!

@happybubble105: omg, my writing is far from impressive but thank you so much for the endless support! Hye Jung and Sung Im are polar opposites, aren't they? Hehehe. Thank you so much for your beautiful comment!

@Ethaaaaa27: i'm so sorry for the late update! i hope you liked this chapter!

@rearubzbi20: awwww, you cried?! i'm so sorry! ahahaa. thank you so much for the support and comments! thank you so much!

@ninjaturtle93: thank you so much for the comment!

@Josiep1: aw, thank you!

@shiningarmourica: thank you so much for the comment!

@ritasimona2727: so happy to see that you noticed that JH was probably trying everything he can to make YD happy! omg! if my stories are ever a drama, it'll probably be a mess! AHAHA!! thank you for the comment!

@nssdt: omg, your comment is so nice! thank you so much for the comment!

@estrelitacristino: ahhhh, your comment is so nice! thank you so much!!!!

@xstar_lightx: awwww, hope your studies are going well! (: thank you for spending time on this story when you can! thank you for the comment!

@Yashagome: OMG CAN I HUG YOU?! Your comments, the long and detailed comments, MAKES ME SOOOOOO HAPPY! Omg, you're amazing! All of you are really just amazing! everything you wrote, I almost cried! you point out all the small facts that I put out there! you're just amazing! I don't even know what to say because I'm over the moon right now. thank you so much for the endless long beautiful comments and support!

@jjxjay: ahh, i'm so sorry for the late reply! i hope you liked the chapter!

@lydlaw: i'm ok! sorry for the chapter being so delayed!

@shiniee: thank you (: