Sour

Same, but Different
“Eat more,” Jin tells me as he places side dishes into my bowl.
 
“Your tangsooyook.” Yoongi passes over more meat. Wow, really. How long has it been since I was taken care of so well like this? With the band, the guys always fight to finish the dish, usually leaving just a bit for me. I slurp up some noodles. Namjoon watches me as I do so. Picking up a tissue, he passes it to me. Is there sauce around my mouth? I around.
 
“Still there?” I ask. Namjoon is stunned for a while but he smiles, shaking his head. Still, he takes the tissue and wipes around my mouth.
 
“You’re a girl, how can you eat like that, especially in front of so many guys.” I freeze in position as Namjoon places one hand under my chin for support. Peripheral vision tells me that Yoongi and the guys are watching with much interest. I lean back a bit, my face probably burning with shyness. It disappears quickly but there was no doubt hint of a smirk on Namjoon’s face.
 
“Ah, I’m full.” I set down my chopsticks and say. Standing up, I walk a full round around the dance room, intrigued by the expensive looking equipment.
 
“What time do you have to go back to school?” Yoongi asks suddenly, looking up at me. I feign ignorance and shrug.
 
“Byeol.” Namjoon calls my name, bringing my attention over to him. My face heats up again all of a sudden.
 
“Half an hour ago,” I answer, earning myself a death glare from Yoongi.
 
“You. School, now.” He stands and grabs a set of keys from the nearby cabinet. I pout.
 
Tugging on his arm, I say, “Oppa~ Yoongi oppa~”
 
“Don’t oppa me-”
 
I bat my lashes at him. “It’s not an important lesson and besides, I’m smart, I can self-study!”
 
“Just let her be,” Jin comes to my rescue. “She would miss half the lesson already anyway even if she goes now.”
 
“Yeah, that!” I playfully swing Yoongi’s arm.
 
“Only because you’re cute.” He pinches my cheeks.
 
“Yay!” Smiling like a little kid, I run back to my seat beside Namjoon. I pick up my coffee and take a long sip.
 
“Oh, that’s mine…” Namjoon turns to look the cup in my hands. “I’ll just take yours, then.”
 
“Hyung!” Taehyung sends him a weird smile. And no matter how indifferent I look on the outside, I can’t help but squeal internally at the thought that this is my first kiss with Namjoon - no matter how indirect.
 
Oblivious to my own internal conflict, the guys continue to eat and chat. They start talking about the concert planned for next week.
 
“Byeol, you’re coming, right?”
 
I shake my head. “The tickets were sold out on the day of ticketing. Where am I going to get a ticket now?”
 
“Ah…”
 
“Hyung, you think we can just bring her in?” Namjoon asks, his expression hopeful.
 
Jin considers this for a while. “I guess we could, but you have to check with boss.”
 
“Or I can perform just for you,” Namjoon leans over and whispers. I don’t have time to blush because my phone rings.
 
"Noona,” Seob’s voice comes over the receiver. “Do you have anything on in the evening?”
 
“Quite busy. What’s up?”
 
“I need help with my Math assignment… it’s due tomorrow afternoon.”
 
I mentally bring up my schedule for tomorrow. “How’s tomorrow morning?”
 
“Oh, perfect!” Seob cheers up.
 
“Come over around 8AM, then.” I hang up.
 
“And who’s that again?” Namjoon eyes the call log in my phone screen. I lock it and flip it around.
 
“Seob, he needs help with an assignment. What time is it now?” I unlock my screen again to check the time: almost 3PM.
 
“You’re going already?” Yoongi prepares to stand.
 
I nod. “I have to go back to school for a project meeting.”
 
“I’ll send you.”
 
I am feeling a bit too lazy to take public transport, but I also don’t want to tire Yoongi out. Should I just ask for the car key? I decline his offer.
 
“I’ll call Woong for a lift,” I say, pressing Woong’s speed dial number on my phone.
 
“Hi Byeol.”
 
“You’re on the way to school?”
 
“Yeah, what’s up?”
 
“I need a lift. This is… Nonhyeon-dong?”
 
“What are you doing there…” I hear the GPS in the background. “I’ll be there in about ten minutes.”
 
“Cool, thanks.” I hang up. Yoongi frowns at me, and I raise my eyebrows at him. Looking around, I find my bag in the corner.
 
“Can I come again?” I ask, sitting back down with my bag in my lap. Namjoon smiles.
 
“I’ll even let you into my studio.”
 
“I’m holding you to that!” I hold out my pinkie, and he links it with his in a pinkie promise. Standing, I say my goodbye and hurry down as Woong texts to tell me that he’s here already. Namjoon fixes his gaze on me as I leave the room and close the door behind me.
 
Downstairs, I hop into Woong’s car and promptly fasten my seatbelt.
 
“Aren’t you supposed to be in school already?” Woong asks, pulling out.
 
“Lecturer skipped first class, I skipped second.” Fiddling with the controls, I turn the CD player on. I play whatever CD that is already in the player but when the first song starts, I glance over at Woong with a raised brow.
 
“They have nice songs,” he says matter-of-factly. From the stereo, Yoongi’s sugar-like rapping blasts.
 
“If only I had just one day
I want to peacefully fall asleep intoxicated with your sweet scent
If there’s a chance in my busy schedule
I want to put my body in your warm and deep eyes.”
 
“So, what are you going back to school for?” Woong stops at a red light and turns to glance at me.
 
“Project meeting, what else…” I say in a bored voice, sighing at the end.
 
“Until late? Want me to wait for you?”
 
“I’m going somewhere after,” I tell him vaguely. Ray’s issues are not something I can just tell Woong so I keep them to myself. He doesn’t probe further.
 
“Just one day, if I can be with you
Just one day, if I can hold your hands
Just one day, if I can be with you
Just one day.”
 
BTS continues to sing in the background as we approach school. Woong drops me off directly at the library building.
 
“Thanks, Woong!” I wave back through the rolled down window.
 
“Let me know if you need a ride later,” he tells me. I nod and he drives off. Before I can turn in, my phone rings with a text notification.
 
From: Jun oppa
[Will you be home tonight? Can I go over?]
 
There is something worrying in his tone.
 
To: Jun oppa
[Will be quite late. Why, did something happen?]
 
His reply is instantaneous.
 
From: Jun oppa
[Ah...]
 
He doesn’t send anything else. With this weighing on my mind, I head towards the library. I send a quick text to Yoongi on the way.
 
To: Yoongi oppa
[What’s wrong with Junnie oppa?]
 
From: Yoongi oppa
[Junnie? Namjoonie? Why? What happened?]
 
I stop at the entrance.
 
To: Yoongi oppa
[It’s nothing. Go practice! :)]

Keeping my phone into my bag, I go in to find my group members.

Song: Just One Day by BTS, translation by pop!gasa