V

Catch Me When I Fall

The warmth of the duvet he’s cocooned himself into is comforting in a way, if not the most effective thing to keep the bad thoughts away.

Hakyeon is scrolling through uninteresting articles and posts he sees on Facebook, not even concentrating on what he can see on his phone when the door opens, and a moment later, there’s a heap pressing against his back.

“Hakyeon,” Jaehwan moans behind him, voice muffled by the duvet. He drapes his arm and leg over Hakyeon’s body, scooting as close as he can. “Are you okay?”

“Are you wearing clothes?”

“I am,” Jaehwan replies.

“Then I’m okay.”

“You’ve been in here all day,” Jaehwan says, the pout audible in his voice. “You didn’t even reply to my texts.”

“I didn’t feel like replying,” Hakyeon says, opening a link to a chocolate fudge cake recipe. He might make it later and shove all of it into his mouth. “And I didn’t feel like going out of the room.”

“Will you tell me what happened yesterday?” Jaehwan asks, limbs tightening around Hakyeon’s body like grape vines. “With Taekwoon?”

“Nothing we haven’t been through before,” Hakyeon mumbles, trying to sound as unaffected as possible. “He doesn’t love me. Period.”

“His loss,” Jaehwan replies, and fumbles with the duvet, rolling Hakyeon on his back and lying on top of him, supporting himself on his arms by Hakyeon’s head to look down at him. His sympathetic expression looks sincere, which is not something Hakyeon witnesses very often, but he appreciates it all the more, even if it feels a little embarrassing to be looked at that way. “You can still meet Sanghyuk, you know.“

"Cannot,” Hakyeon says. “I literally told him I just wanted to sleep with him and nothing else.”

“Not literally,” Jaehwan answers. “You told him you didn’t want to go on a date.”

“Yeah, after he slept in my bed,” Hakyeon rolls his eyes. “Anyway, could you please get off me? This is getting awkward, I feel like you want to kiss me.”

Jaehwan scrunches up his nose, probably involuntarily, but then gets off Hakyeon and the bed entirely.

“I like you, but not that much,” he says, standing beside the bed with his hands on his hips. “But please, think about meeting Sanghyuk. He’s really a good guy; I’ve talked to him a lot lately, and he’s the perfect candidate for the role of being your new sweetheart.”

“Don’t be so poetic, oh my God,” Hakyeon brushes a hand over his face. “If I say I’ll think about it, will you leave me alone?”

“Sure.”

“Okay, I’ll think about it.”

Jaehwan gives him a thumbs up and leaves the bedroom, and in it, a miserable Hakyeon.