III

Catch Me When I Fall

He wakes up with a headache again, the fingers carding through his hair being in perfect sync with the pounding inside his skull. He pulls back from the warm skin under his cheek, looking up at Sanghyuk with bleary eyes.

“You’re still here,” Hakyeon croaks.

“I didn’t want to wake you,” Sanghyuk says, hand falling away from Hakyeon’s hair. “But I think I should go now.”

So, no morning , either, Hakyeon thinks.

He watches Sanghyuk stand up and put on his clothes, ruffling his hair as if that would do anything to make it look less like he just got out of a tornado. Hakyeon sits up, wrapping the blanket around his shoulders, following Sanghyuk out of his bedroom and to the front door, waiting for him to put on his shoes.

“Um, thank you,” Sanghyuk says awkwardly, pocketing his hands. Hakyeon doesn’t know exactly what he’s thankful for, but he thinks it might be better not to dwell on it. Sanghyuk clears his throat. “Maybe we could, like, go out for a coffee next week, if you’d like.”

“Are you asking me out?” Hakyeon asks, feeling his facial muscles contort into a grimace. He quickly reorganizes his features to seem less rude. “On a date?”

Sanghyuk makes a noise, something between a laugh and a whine, and lowers his head. “It was just an idea.”

“I’m not sure if… we should do that,” Hakyeon says, feeling his face flush in embarrassment. “I mean, you’re really nice, and—”

“Oh, please, don’t,” Sanghyuk groans. He looks up, eyes reflecting hurt. “Let’s just stop it here, I’m sorry I asked. Bye.”

And closing the door, he disappears.

Hakyeon is only halfway through a sigh when Jaehwan’s bedroom door flings open, its owner darting out of it in only a pair of underwear and with his eyes practically shooting laser at Hakyeon.

“You absolute idiot!” Jaehwan shrieks, barrelling into Hakyeon, and they both fall to the floor, Hakyeon crying out despite the blanket dulling the pain of collapsing on the hardwood floorboards. Jaehwan straddles his hips, looking furious beyond words—something that’s quite rare. “He asked you out on a date and you said no!”

“I’m aware, thank you,” Hakyeon grumbles. “Get off me.”

“Sanghyuk is a great guy,” Jaehwan goes on, hitting Hakyeon’s chest lightly. “He’s clever and nice and oh God, have you even seen him?! He looks out of this ing world! What the hell is your problem?!”

“I don’t want to date, I’ve told you a million times!” Hakyeon retorts, pushing at Jaehwan’s arms, but he stays firmly seated on top of Hakyeon.

“Then why did you even take him home?!”

“Because I thought… , Jaehwan, you know why!”

“You’re a moron,” Jaehwan spits, climbing off Hakyeon and standing up. “You’re so stupid; can’t you just finally forget about Taekwoon and move on? Your stupid little revenges have nothing on him, haven’t you noticed?”

“You know nothing about that!” Hakyeon yells, struggling to get up from the ground.

“I know enough to know you’re ing up a completely perfect chance,” Jaehwan says. “Taekwoon was an and it’s over, you should forget him and finally let someone treat you like an actual person instead of just a pile of .”

There’s the sound of feet against the floorboards, and Wonshik pokes his head out of Jaehwan’s bedroom, blinking sleepily. “Jaehwan?”

“Just think about what you’re missing out on while acting like it hurts Taekwoon that you sleep with others,” Jaehwan says, eyes roving over Hakyeon’s face. “Because it doesn’t—he doesn’t have a heart and you should know that better than anyone else.”

He turns around, mumbling something to Wonshik, and they both disappear in Jaehwan’s bedroom again, leaving Hakyeon there, wrapped up in his warm blanket and feeling colder than ever.