FOUR -- RUNNIN'

COSMIC (STILL UNDECIDED)

After days of contemplating and banging his head on his study table, Doyoung had decided to return the handkerchief to Jaehyun. Ten has been constantly nagging him to be calm and collected, like an elegant countess, in returning the article of clothing, but he just couldn’t bring himself to do it. For him, this felt harder than passing the midterms for the semester last year.

Doyoung found Jaehyun sitting by himself at the gazebo, listening to something playing on his mp3 player. As he was approaching Jaehyun, the rehearsed script had vanished into thin air, along with his confidence and he was left blank, mesmerized by Jaehyun’s still form.

This guy couldn’t be a human, he thought.

Doyoung just stood beside the guy, still as a cat.

 

Let me hold your hand, again and again and again.

I want you to come back; I want you to love me again.

 

Jaehyun was getting immersed with the lyrics of the song when he felt something behind him. It was as if someone was looking at him. He turned around seeing the guy he bumped into the convenience store. He smiled at the boy.

“Yes, how may I help you?” he asked.

The boy seemed oddly frozen for a while, then he stretched his hand towards Jaehyun. It was his handkerchief, and he could remember giving it to the boy to wipe his bloody nose last time.

“Thank you very much.”

Jaehyun took the handkerchief back, putting it in his pocket. He was about to say “You’re welcome” and ask him if his nose is now okay when he saw the boy running away from him.

Scratching his head, Jaehyun smiled again. He put his bag on his shoulder, and started walking towards the school building.

 

“That was very lame of you, Kim Doyoung. I am so sad I am even friends with you.”

Ten, Doyoung and Yuta were sitting together in the lounge area, each of them doing different things. Doyoung was rereading his homework to check for grammar errors, Ten was playing games on his phone and Yuta was listening to a podcast for his Chemistry project. Doyounghad told them on what happened when he returned the handkerchief to Jaehyun, and Ten scoffed in disbelief.

“What do you want me to do then, do a somersault in front of him?” the rabbit retorted, fake irritation in his voice.

“Nah, you should have made yourself memorable to him. You just freaked him out, ha.”

Yuta yanked his earphones away, turning the mp3 player off. “I think it would be too overreacting if Doyoung would do something else after returning Jaehyun’s handkerchief,” he said, facing Doyoung.

“And why did you have Jaehyun’s handkerchief, Doyoung?” said someone behind them.

The three looked around, seeing Yeri and four of her friends. Kim Yeri is a student in their school like them, and she is known as a total heartbreaker and a mega.

“And what does it matter to you, Lab Rat Girl?” Ten said, rolling his eyes.

Yeri blushed beet red. No one ever talked back to her.

“Am I talking to you, Thai Reject?” she scoffed.

“Nah, stop referring to yourself, Yeri. You are the reject, not me,” Ten answered back, flipping his bangs away from his face. Doyoung was pulling Ten’s shirt to stop him, but Ten didn’t budge. They are now standing face to face, and Ten was an inch away to rip Yeri’s hair off her head.

“It’s nothing, Yeri.” Doyoung muttered.

The blonde turned its attention to Doyoung. “But why did you have his handkerchief? Are you a sasaeng fan? Gosh, people!” Yeri raised her voice for everyone to hear. “This nerd here,” she continued, pointing at Doyoung, “Has a hobby of stealing people’s clothing. He’s a freak, right?” she said, to the jeers and laughter of everyone in the lounge area.

Doyoung bowed his head, eyes swimming in tears. “It’s not true, Yeri, it’s not like that,” he denied.

“Oh shut up, you creep,” the blonde waved him off. “He just stole Jung Jaehyun’s handkerchief, my goodness!” Her mock disgust was enough to make everyone turn their eyes onto Doyoung’s bowed head. People were muttering amongst themselves, and no one thinks Doyoung is not a creep as Yeri had announced.

“I should hide my belongings too, right girls?” she said, turning to her squad. Irene, Seulgi, Joy nodded but not Wendy. The girl had her face in an expression unreadable to anyone, but it was bordering on indifference.

“Oh don’t worry, Yeri,” Ten fired back, raising his voice too. “Doyoung will never steal your belongings. We all know that no one here wants to have your smelly , even if you put it on sale on Facebook, so yeah you can keep it,” he finished, sass glazed on every word. “Now go away before I shove your empty heads right on your holes and back. Talk to me when you’re already brainy, which I guess will never happen. Shoo!”

Yuta was beside Doyoung, the latter’s back as the rabbit wept silently. He was not looking to anyone, but he was holding Ten’s wrist just in case all hell would break loose.

Yeri, meanwhile, was beside herself with shock. It was as if someone slapped her in the face. She quickly recovered, huffed at the Thai and walked away.

Ten turned to face the crowd that had formed behind them. “The showcase is now over; you can go eat your four-day old lunches. Go away,” he said, shooing everyone. Some threw glares at him, and he didn’t waste any time glaring back at them. The crowd had vanished, leaving the three of them alone in the lounge.

He then turned to Doyoung. “Stop crying, are you going to a funeral after class? No one booked you to cry for their dead, stop it,” he said, grabbing Doyoung’s bag and swinging it on his shoulder. Yuta grabbed their belongings and followed suit, escorting Doyoung, who was busy sniffing and wiping his cheeks of tears.

 

Above them, leaning at the glass panel, was someone whose face was scrunched up, lips pulled in a pout. He shook his head, and then walked away.

---

SO SORRY FOR THE LATE UPDATE! Oh my I was very lazy last week. T_T hope you enjoyed it! Subs and comments are welcome. ^^