ONE -- HEARTBEAT

COSMIC (STILL UNDECIDED)

It was a normal day for everyone, including Doyoung, who was stuck between his two best friends, Yuta and Ten. Until now, he doesn’t know why he became friends with these two oddballs. He met Yuta in a restaurant when he was out one day for lunch, and he was too chatty that time, which Doyoung found entertaining then. Turns out Yuta was a Japanese guy who had Korean foster parents but he can speak Korean way better than Doyoung.

 

Ten was a different story, though. It began one day when Yuta and Doyoung were on a shopping trip (read: grocery shopping) when they heard someone arguing with the cashier over the price of red bean fish bread. Ten came from Thailand, on a quest to follow his heart and be a dancer. He tried auditioning to the Big Three, but SM found him too sassy and whiny and YG found him too weak for their swaggy concepts. JYP didn’t care, either, so he just continued living here in Korea as a normal high school student.

 

They were on their way to school, another normal day, it seemed. Doyoung was piling books on his arms from his locker when he heard some giggling and wolf-whistling. He turned around, and he saw one of the reasons why kept on going to school even though his Mensa level IQ can ship him to the Big Three Universities without finishing high school.

 

It was Jung Jaehyun. Born Jung Yoonoh, he was a six foot (and still growing) guy with the muscles in the right places. He has a handsome face, brown curly hair (not too curly to resemble uncooked ramyeon nor too loose to make him look like a Latina beauty pageant contestant), smiling eyes, and two deep dimples on either side of his face. Doyoung could always dream of poking the guy’s dimples, too see how deep those are. He spent four years in America when he was a choding with his father, so he can speak fluent English.

 

It seems like Jaehyun is the ideal boyfriend for everyone in his school. Not surprisingly, Doyoung is one of the hopefuls too. But he doesn’t show it in public, and only his best friends know about his deepest secret.

 

Ten followed Doyoung’s gaze then lightly smacked the back of his head with the pencil case he’s holding at the moment. “Don’t make yourself too obvious and wipe your drool,” he said softly. Doyoung smacked his face with the book on his hand, then said, “Don’t speak too loud, you jerk!”

 

The Thai boy openly guffawed. “Well, it seems that no matter how loud I say it, Jung Jaehyun would never know your existence. So yeah, keep on dreaming,” he retorted.

 

Doyoung really wanted to tear his friend limb to limb at the moment, when Yuta smacked Ten’s mouth with his free hand. “Ey, it’s too early to tear him from limb to limb, Kim Doyoung,” he said. It must have shown in his eyes, so Doyoung shook his head. “I’ll wait for the evening, then,” he murmured.

 

 

The day ended with nothing noteworthy happened, well if you count Ten slipping in front of the whole school when he was dancing ballet as if he was in a Nutcracker recital. Doyoung and Yuta were in his room, finishing the report in History that would be submitted tomorrow. Doyoung had already finished his, therefore he was helping Yuta finish his work as the Japanese boy handed him the references for the paper.

 

“So Doyoung,” Yuta started. “Have you ever thought of even confessing to Jung?”

 

Doyoung was startled for a moment, but since his back was turned to Yuta, the Japanese didn’t see his doe eyes widen in surprise. He was still for a moment, then said, “I don’t know. Maybe I’ll just forget about him after we graduate. Ten is right, you are right: he doesn’t know my existence, so why bother? Besides, there are a million other girls who are also having the same feelings with me, so why bother?”

 

Yuta sighed. “Now is the time to make him known of your existence. You know, we only have eleven months before we say goodbye to our dreary high school life, and you should seize the moment. You have nothing to lose, you know. YOLO, like what they say in the movies.”

 

“I still don’t know, though. It would be weird, because I am first and foremost, a guy like him. I’m not yet ready of what will happen. What if he started to hate on me, to make my life miserable? I don’t want my last year in high school to be memorable in a bad light,” he cautiously said.

 

“Then why not slip a note on his locker?” Yuta suggested, nibbling on a piece of Pepero.

 

“I have thought of that already, and that won’t work, either. Have you seen the papers littering his locker when he opens it early in the morning? It all goes to trash. I don’t want my feelings to end up in the wastebasket.”

 

Yuta sighed deeper this time. “My, my and another my. I don’t know why I even suggested you this thing in the first place. You might have thought of those when you were inside your mom’s womb,” he replied.

 

 

 

It was already eleven o’clock. Doyoung was already in his bed. Yuta decided to sleep while Doyoung was in the middle of finishing his report, so he was occupying the other side of the bed. Holding each other’s hands (Yuta feels scared whenever he sleeps in another room), Doyoung’s thoughts were occupied with only one thing: Jung Jaehyun. Yuta had so many points earlier. It was his last year in high school and it would be so bad if he would just let his feelings slide down the drain the moment they toss their toga caps in the air. He never had feelings for anyone else besides Jaehyun, and the handsome guy became his primary reason to live. Should I confess, or should I just move on, he thought for the nth time. He kept on thinking about the what ifs until he was lulled into sleep.