three

Parallel Lines
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The posters are already everywhere today.

WINTER IN AMSTERDAM

2016 winter formal

Dress code: Pastel colours or White

Tickets: ₩6000 per person, ₩10 000 for couples

This winter dance is going to be our last, and I really want to go as a couple with Wendy. I don’t even know why. I guess, in the future, looking back, it would be most appropriate to spend my senior winter dance with her.

“Who are you taking this year? Couples get a cheaper price.” I was too deep in my own thoughts to have noticed Jinyoung standing beside me, also staring at the poster.

“I don’t know,” I told him, Jinyoung scoffed and smirked.

“Bull,” he said as he shifts his gaze towards me, “you know this is your last dance right? You gotta make it count bro. The rest of us still have next year in our senior prom.”

Yes. I’m leaving high school early to go to a community college in LA. I have family there, and my parents thought it would be best if I want to go to UCLA for university. The major problem is that I will be leaving all of my longest and closest friends behind in Seoul. I will be leaving my childhood best friend, Wendy. The same person I was actually considering of taking to the formal.

“I’ll think about it later. Who are you taking?” I said as we start walking to English class.

“Glad you asked.” Jinyoung grinned and suddenly stood in front of me stopping my tracks. “I want to take Irene this year, and I need you to help me please?”

“About time.”

“That’s it? That’s your only reaction? Only Wendy can make you talk for goodness sake,” Jinyoung looked pissed. “But anyways, I need you to do me a favour.”

“No.”

“Hey hear me out first!” Jinyoung looked disappointed. “Besides, all the other guys already agreed, so you basically have no choice.”

“Fine, shoot.”

Jinyoung started rambling when I got a little distracted by what I saw a few meters away. Wendy, with her pastel blue backpack, exited our Physics classroom, alongside the principal. What the hell was going on? For whatever reason could Wendy be in trouble? I was about to run to her when Jinyoung suddenly stood in front of me, blocking the way.

“So?” he looks expectantly, “you in?”

“Sure whatever,” I answered, as I was still trying to think of possible things Wendy could be in the principal’s office for.

“YES!” he started bro-hugging me, “you’re the best! Now let’s hurry before we’re late.”

I was about to run after Wendy when I reminded myself how foolish that would be. Instead, we entered the classroom, and the class was extremely loud today. Everyone was busy with their own thing. The girls were hugging each other and a couple of squeals could be heard. The guys were putting on bets for the UFC battle tonight. I took a seat at the far back and as soon as I placed my bag down when Momo, this new girl that just came this year, suddenly approached me.

“Mark, do you know what’s going on with Wendy? Did you see her go with the principal just now?”

Momo was the ‘it’ girl in her previous school, and I think she became one here in our school too. The guys are drooling over her but think that she’s out of their league to even start talking with her. Besides, rumour has it. This new girl is dating an alumnus named Taecyeon, and he’s four years older than us. People were saying that Taecyeon came to our school for a visit when he met Momo. They talked, had lunch together and by the end of the day, some saw them making out in Taecyeon’s car. The true definition of relationships that escalated too quickly. The girls, on the other hand, are envious of her looks, and they hated her guts. I wouldn’t say she’s pretty and all that, but other guys think she’s hot. It’s all about her s I guess. Wendy, possibly the kindest girl in the entire school, was the only one that was friends with Momo, in which she then introduced our group of friends to her.

“No and yes.”

“Oh my god I’m worried. Do you think she’ll be okay? She hasn’t done anything worth punishing–” she was about to bombard me with more questions when Mr Jung entered the classroom with his signature black briefcase.

“Everybody, please take your seats.”

~

“I guess that’s it for today,” Mr Jung said as he closed his book, “don’t forget your homework from page-” before he could even finish his sentence the bell rang and everyone started exiting the room. Jackson was first of course.

“Yah! Jackson wait for us!” Jinyoung called out, as he followed Jackson out the door after he just finished packing up. I quickly put my stuff inside my bag and was about to leave when Momo stood in front of me.

“Are you going to see Wendy?,” she started talking, with her high-pitched voice that I’m still not familiar with, “if you are, please tell her to stay strong!”

What the hell? She was just called by the principal, she’s not dying. This girl is over exaggerating things. I felt comfortable talking to her without Wendy so to get her out of my way I simply just said,

“Sure.”

Momo flashed a huge grin and was about to say something when her phone rang. Nope, we are not allowed to use our phones at school, but being a new kid is probably an exception I guess.

“Hi baby,” her tone was different and much more flirtatious. She pointed at her phone and mouthed out ‘it’s my boyfriend’ to me as if I needed an explanation. I was waiting for her to continue what she about to say but thought that she might even forget about it already by now.

“Are you picking me up after school today? I miss you already,” I was getting disgusted, and I was signalling for her to move away so that I can go to the cafeteria. She didn't budge. So, I pushed her to the side and moved myself away from her to exit the classroom.

~

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter