one (preface)

Parallel Lines
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 Pre-School

"Mommy don't leave!" Wendy cried as soon as her mom bid goodbyes to her for her first day at kindergarten.

"Darling, you are going to be fine. The teachers here wants to play with you. They have some toys and even cookies for you. Look!" her mother scoot down to caress her cheeks, wiping off the tears as she pointed at the teacher that's approaching them with a teddy bear on her hand.

"This teddy bear is called Ginger, and she's all yours now Wendy," the teacher gave her the teddy bear that is almost as big as Wendy's face.

A young little boy suddenly came running towards the teacher and bumped into her, dropping a puzzle he was holding, scattering the puzzle pieces all over the floor.

"Mark are you okay?" the teacher asked the young boy as she helped tidy up the puzzle pieces.

Wendy eyed the puzzle pieces full of interest as she went towards it, slowly releasing her grip from her mom. She picked up a few pieces and laughed at how silly looking they are.

"I want this one. I don't want the teddy bear, I want this!" Wendy excitedly said as she looked at both her mom and the teacher.

"Well, that's not mine. Ask Mark if he'd lend you or play with you," the teacher explained. "Wendy, this is Mark. Mark, this is Wendy," she then introduced one to the other as she pulled each of their hand, helping them shake hands.

 They looked at each other and exchanged a smile. Wendy blushed a little, and the words she wanted to ask did not come out of .

"Let's try and put these puzzle pieces together!" Mark answered Wendy's thoughts with a huge grin right after.


~

Later that night, the doorbell rang at the Son family's house and Stephanie, Wendy's older sister, welcomed and invited their new neighbors to come in. Their father was setting the dining table, and their mother took out the steak from the oven. Wendy was still upstairs, combing her hair when she smelled the strong and inviting fragrance of her mother's famous steaks. 

Upon reaching the dining room, the families greeted one another.

"Good Evening, I'm Jacob Son, nice to finally meet you!" Wendy's dad introduced himself.

"Hi, I'm Raymond Tuan, and this is my wife, Dorine," Wendy's father shook both of their hands. "Oh look at this cute baby, what's her name?"

"This is our second child, Nayeon." the woman smiled as she carried a baby girl sleeping in her arms. "We wanted to thank you for inviting and welcoming us like this, so I baked a little something this afternoon. Mark, give Uncle Jacob the cake."

A little boy came from behind the couple and gave Wendy's dad a huge plate of chocolate cake. Wendy's dad then took the cake and softly pat the little boy's head.

"Oh! Didn't I see you earlier today? You played puzzle with my daughter, Wendy, right?" Wendy's mom asked as she entered the dining room in to greet the new neighbors. 

Mark just nodded shyly as he quickly hid behind his mother.

"Dorine I think our kids goes to the same kindergarten! This morning Mark was such a sweetheart to have shared his toy with my daughter." Wendy's mom explained to Mark's mom.

Blushing, his mom replied, "Well Mark has always been kindhearted, he even takes care of his baby

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter