A New Beginning

Masquerade

Standing at his apartment window, YoungSaeng watched the stream of young men entering the manor. He had dreaded this day, but it had been a month since he had sent KyuJong away, and he was in need of another mangto. They would need time to train and prepare the new body double in time for the upcoming winter celebrations he was expected to attend.

There was a soft sound of booted feet against carpet behind him and YoungSaeng sighed. "I could just ask you to select JungMin, I don't want to face these people."

"It's not too late Saeng," JungMin said softly, standing next to him at the window.

"To what end, Min?" YoungSaeng said quietly, frowning down at those below. "I made my choice. It's for the best, for both of us."

"Is it?" JungMin turned, leaning against the window sill to watch him. "You miss him, I can see that."

"It doesn't matter," YoungSaeng said sharply, turning from the window, arms across his chest. "In the spring my bride will arrive, and I will become King. It wouldn't be fair to him to make him go through that."

"He would have stood by your side regardless Saeng, and you know it," JungMin followed him from the room to the washroom where YoungSaeng was donning his mask. "It's not like you couldn't have kept him as a lover."

"I'm not my father," YoungSaeng said, turning dark eyes to JungMin. "I would not forsake my vows. Even if my bride is to be like my mother who scorns a man's touch. I would not do that, could never do that."

"If that's your decision, then I'll respect it," JungMin conceded, a slight tilt to his head.

"You won't respect it Min, I know you too well to believe a lie like that," YoungSaeng smirked, finishing attaching the mask and turning back to his friend. "But you will honor it, because you are supposed to, as my servant, and as my friend."

"Of course," JungMin nodded, biting back any more arguments he had against this whole situation. YoungSaeng was correct in reasoning for sending KyuJong away, but he knew the Prince well enough to know how much he was hurting. "If you're ready then sir, the applicants are waiting."

~~~~~~~

The room was small and bare, just a simple table and chair, tiny tack filled mattress and a fire. A far cry from the opulence of the manor, but after five months KyuJong had grown accustomed to it. It was much the same as his home with his parents had been, so within a few weeks of being there he was comfortable.

Seated in a chair in front of the fire, KyuJong thought about how drastically his life had changed in just a years time. It was getting close to spring again and with it memories of how he had spent the warm months basking in silk sheets and a warm love. Now it was wool blankets, and meaningless .

Five months ago he had left the royal manor with a horse, a few changes of clothes, and enough money to get through the winter until he was able to find work. JungMin had tried to set him up in some other noble's service, but KyuJong had refused. There was always the briefest of possibilities he'd be required to return that place he had left behind.

The door to his little shack opened, and he didn't need to look up to know who it was. The person he had spent the last five months with, shared meals and bed with.

"Still moping," came a tired sigh and KyuJong smirked, looking over to the speaker.

"You should be used to this by now HyunJoong," he said, ignoring the eye rolling of the other. Five months ago he had ridden to the farthest corner of the kingdom, and met his now roommate at an inn. They were both new in the town, and with their money pooled together they managed to get enough to buy a place to live and stay alive through the winter.

KyuJong wasn't sure when they had gone from just living together, to sleeping together, but it hadn't taken very long. He knew his reasons for it, wanting to bury his emotions for someone he would never see again into a purely physical relationship. Even so, it wasn't working. After five months he still thought of YoungSaeng every day, dreamed about him, had to stifle his cries of YoungSaeng's name when he was with HyunJoong. He didn't know what HyunJoong's reasons were, not that they really talked much about their lives before. Or much of anything really.

There wasn't even a discussion about what their situation was. They didn't love each other, or have feelings. All they wanted was companionship, and they found it in each other. It wasn't like he couldn't have just as easily gone out and found a wife, start a family. It's not like he wasn't a bad looking go or anything, but he knew that life wasn't for him anymore, and had come to terms with the fact that he liked and wanted to be with men. One man in particular, but that wasn't an option.

Having returned to staring at the fire, he barely noticed HyunJoong's hands sliding over his shoulders until the older was ing his shirt from behind. 

"I don't think sitting around all day thinking about him is going to help you get over him," HyunJoong whispered in his ear.

"Why do you assume it's a he?" KyuJong smirked, watching the hands slide down his bare chest.

"I'm not as dumb as I look," HyunJoong snorted. KyuJong took one of his hands and pulled him around into his lap. "You obviously were running away from someone, someone you loved. If it had been a woman, you wouldn't have given in to my advances. That and you seemed to know what you were doing." HyunJoong pushed the shirt off his shoulders, leaning down to kiss along KyuJong's collar bone.

"My business is my own," KyuJong said, running his hands over HyunJoong's back. "Besides, it's in the past."

"Now that, is a lie," HyunJoong bit down lightly on KyuJong's neck, causing the other to gasp sharply. "If it was in the past, you wouldn't still be thinking of him."

"Why are you so interested in this all of a sudden?" KyuJong murmured, his hands coming around to the waistband of HyunJoong's pants, tugging on them roughly.

"Just making an observation," HyunJoong's chuckled, sliding off his lap to kick off his pants while KyuJong was busy with his own.

"You can keep your observations to yourself next time," KyuJong said, pulling HyunJoong back down onto him. HyunJoong didn't respond, his head snapping back and choking on air. KyuJong closed his eyes, running his hand over HyunJoong's defined chest as the other man rocked against him.

A small part of him felt bad for treating HyunJoong in this way, as a source of ual comfort. He knew the guy deserved better, someone who actually cared for him, but KyuJong didn't have it in him to be that person. If HyunJoong minded though, he didn't say anything, maybe he was just as comfortable with their arrangement as KyuJong was.

By the time KyuJong had come down from his high, HyunJoong had already stood up, and was pulling on his clothes. KyuJong watched him move around the room, still too tired to move right then. Maybe HyunJoong was right, that it was time to start letting go and leave YoungSaeng behind. He didn't know if he could ever love HyunJoong in the way he had loved YoungSaeng, but maybe it was worth giving a try.

"His name is YoungSaeng," KyuJong said softly, not fearing to speak the Prince's name since no one outside of the palace knew what it was. "We were in love, but his family is forcing him to marry someone else." The shuffling around the room stopped when he started to speak and there was a long silent pause before HyunJoong came back to him. The older man pulled up the other chair and sat it next to his.

"His name is JaeJoong," HyunJoong said, glancing over at KyuJong. "And his father caught us together and I was sent away."

"Did you love him?"

"I did," HyunJoong nodded, turning back to the fire. "I thought he loved me too, but he wouldn't come with me."

"So we both love men whose families want to keep us apart," KyuJong shook his head, smiling sadly. They weren't so different after all. "So what now?"

"Now?" HyunJoong shrugged. "I don't see things changing for us anytime soon, so we'll just take it one day at a time, like we have been."

"Right, one day at a time," KyuJong nodded, smiling lightly. Maybe one day he would finally be able to move on from YoungSaeng, but not now, and that was okay. 

~~~~~~~~

The arrival of spring was usually marked with the nobles leaving the manor to return to their lands to oversee the planting and settle problems amongst their workers. With the upcoming coronation and wedding though, the nobles lingered the cuple of weeks in between.

YoungSaeng knew that the bride his father had selected for him was already at the manor, she had arrived the previous month with an entire entourage of maids and servants. Not even knowing her name, or what she looked like, YoungSaeng had left it to JungMin to learn as much as he could about the girl, and to make her feel comfortable.

Even though he was still confined to his quarters, he had tried to make the best of the long winter. The young man he had selected as his new mangto was a nice enough fellow, but YoungSaeng had kept his distance. His heart would not allow him to move on from KyuJong, and it was best to just remain friends with his new companion. Unlike the others who had come before him, YoungSaeng did not bring him to his bed, or be anything but polite and cordial. It was better that way, lest the boy grew too fond of him.

They were friends though, and YoungSaeng enjoyed the time he spent with the young man, named HyungJoon. They read and played games together, but YoungSaeng had stopped drinking wine after the evening meal. It was peaceful, and after a few months JungMin had stopped bothering him about KyuJong, and for brief periods of time he was able to forget.

Curled up in his chair, YoungSaeng eyed the stones board in front of him, contemplating his next move. He had been pleasantly surprised that HyungJoon was a competent player and enjoyed the rounds they played. Holding the white stone in his hand, he looked up at a knock at the door. "Come in JungMin," he said and returned to the game.

"Sir, I need to speak with you," JungMin said, closing the door and approaching the table. There was a nervous hint to his tone and YoungSaeng looked up at him. "Alone, please."

"Whatever you have to tell me you can say in front of HyungJoon, JungMin, you know this," YoungSaeng frowned slightly. There was rarely a reason that JungMin would want to speak with him alone.

"I insist, sir," JungMin said, his tone more insistent. YoungSaeng sighed and nodded, unfolding his legs to stand.

"This had better be important, I'm this close to killing off that group of his," YoungSaeng scolded JungMin leaving HyungJoon to do a double take at the board.

Once in his room with the door closed, YoungSaeng took a seat on the couch, crossing his legs and waiting for JungMin to say what it is he needed to say. His eyes widened as JungMin knelt down on the floor in front of him, pressing his forehead to the floor. His eyes widened even more as JungMin began to talk.

Even after JungMin had fell silent, YoungSaeng stared at him with wide eyes, unable to comprehend what he had just heard. "You understand that that is treason JungMin," YoungSaeng spoke quietly. "If my father found out..."

"I know, and I intend to go to him as soon as I leave here," JungMin said, his head still against the floor.

"You will do no such thing," YoungSaeng responded and JungMin sat up, looking at him with a puzzled expression. "JungMin, you have single handedly solved all of my problems."

"Sir?" JungMin's eyes narrowed, not comprehending.

"I have an idea, and I will need your cooperation," YoungSaeng smiled, reaching out his hand for JungMin to take. JungMin eyed the hand nervously but took it and stood up. "Now, it's time to start planning...."

~~~~~~~~

A knock came at the door, and KyuJong looked up at HyunJoong in confusion. They never had visitors, not at this hour. Just as confused, HyunJoong pulled back from KyuJong and climbed off the bed, grabbing his pants from off the ground and pulling them on, KyuJong doing the same. HyunJoong went to the door and opened it.

"Hello, I'm told a KyuJong lives here?" A familiar voice said from the doorway and KyuJong went forward, blinking in surprise and confusion.

"JungMin?" KyuJong said, shaking his head slightly. "What are you doing here?"

"May I come in?" JungMin said, his hands clasped before him. KyuJong peered out behind JungMin and saw a few guards on horseback. Nodding, KyuJong moved to the side, letting JungMin enter. HyunJoong closed the door behind him, giving KyuJong a look in question. JungMin was pacing around the small room, looking over all of their belongings. "I'm here because the Prince has extended to you an invitation to the coronation," JungMin said, turning back to smile at KyuJong, "and the wedding."

"What?" KyuJong stared, his eyes darkening at that. "Why would I even consider going?"

"Because the Prince has ordered it," JungMin shrugged, still smiling. "My orders are to bring you back, willingly or not."

"I thought the Prince didn't want me there? Wasn't that the point of sending me away?" KyuJong said angrily, moving around the servant to pick up his shirt off the floor to put it on.

"And it seems that he's changed his mind," JungMin said lightly, still smiling.

"I don't want to be subject to his constant changing whims," KyuJong snapped. He had just been getting to the point where he felt he was ready to forget YoungSaeng, to really start his new life, with HyunJoong.

JungMin's mood changed, his smile turning to a frown and he looked down at the floor. "Whether you want to go or not is irrelevant KyuJong. You will be attending the coronation and the wedding."

Sighing, KyuJong sat down on the bed, his head in his hands. What did YoungSaeng want from him? To rub it in his face that they were never going to be together? To show KyuJong that he's moved on. He scrubbed at his hair in frustration. If that was the game YoungSaeng was going to play with him, then he would show the Prince that he was moving on as well.

"Okay, I'll go willingly," KyuJong said, looking up at JungMin. "Under one condition."

"And what would that be?" JungMin asked, amused.

"HyunJoong goes with me," KyuJong said, motioning to the other man who had been more or less silent during the exchange. "Can you grant me that one request JungMin?"

Eyeing HyunJoong for a moment, JungMin shrugged and nodded. "Sure, if that's what you wish. Now, don't bother packing anything, you'll be provided with everything you need once there."

"When are we leaving?"

"Soon as you're both dressed with proper shoes," JungMin said, inclining his head to them both. "We'll be waiting outside when you're ready." With that, JungMin walked out the door, closing it behind them. Neither HyunJoong or KyuJong spoke for a moment until HyunJoong came over to the bed to sit down.

"So... the Prince?" HyunJoong mused. "His name I take it is YoungSaeng."

"Yes," KyuJong nodded, staring forward at the wall. "I was his mangto."

"And he sent you away because he was getting married," HyunJoong supplied. "Well, I had assumed it was a noble, but never guessed it was a royal. Which would explain why had never seen you at court."

KyuJong glanced sharply at HyunJoong, confused. "Court? You mean JaeJoong was..."

"A noble's son," HyunJoong said with a sad smile. "A lesser noble of course, but I went with JaeJoong to functions at court, as his personal servant."

"So the coronation..." KyuJong's expression fell. "I'm sorry HyunJoong, I volunteered for you to go with me, I should have asked first."

"It's okay, I don't think I'll be running into him in the servant halls," HyunJoong laughed lightly, patting KyuJong's leg. "Let's go, I was itching to get out of this town for a while now anyway. We can call it a vacation."

"A vacation from what?" KyuJong rolled his eyes and stood up to put on his boots. 

"From reality?" HyunJoong said with a smile, getting his boots on and putting on a shirt. "I'm sure when we get back we'll have to really start looking for work, our money is almost gone."

"Let's think about that when we get back, I've got enough on my mind," KyuJong sighed, heading out the door with HyunJoong following.

~~~~~~~

The ride to the royal manor took more than a day, having to stop at an inn on the way for the night and setting out again first thing in the morning. There was still a chill to the air as the warmth of spring hadn't settled in yet, but not enough that they required more than thin cloaks to ward off the cold in the mornings.

As they drew closer to the building, a sharp knot of dread was building in his chest, and KyuJong had to take several deep breaths as they approached the main doors. It took a great amount of effort not to look up to the windows where he had once sat and looked out for hours on end. Entering the receiving hall, he fought the urge to run right then, seeing the familiar flooring and decor. He had never wanted to see this place again.

JungMin showed them to a simple room that was to be theirs for the duration of their stay. It wasn't as nice as the Prince's apartments had been, but it was larger than the shack where they were living.

"Food and refreshments will be brought for you, and you are to remain here until you are summoned," JungMin said once they were in the room. "The coronation is to take place tomorrow, and the Prince has requested an audience with you beforehand. The wedding will take place the next day, and then you are both free to go."

"Why does he want to see me?" KyuJong asked, taking a seat on a couch. HyunJoong was wandering around the room, trying to act uninterested in the conversation.

"That is between you and him, I didn't ask," JungMin bowed with a smile.

"Meaning you know, but aren't going to tell me," KyuJong sighed, rolling it eyes at the knowing smirk on JungMin's face. JungMin left with another bow and the two were left alone in the room.

"So does it feel weird to be here?" HyunJoong said, taking a seat on the couch, pulling off his boots.

"Yes," KyuJong nodded, settling against the back of couch. "At least it's not the same rooms, or look like the same rooms anyway."

"What do you think he wants?" HyunJoong had shifted closer, drawing KyuJong into his arms.

"I don't know, and frankly I'm a little irritated at the whole situation," KyuJong sighed, leaning against him. "He sent me away so I didn't have to see this, but then just drags me back anyway? It doesn't make any sense."

"After living with nobility for as long as I did, they rarely make sense," HyunJoong mused, playing with the buttons on KyuJong's shirt. "I say, relax, hear what he has to say, enjoy the hospitality, and then leave with a bit of closure."

"Closure." KyuJong thought about that, breath quickening at how HyunJoong's hand was slipping into his shirt to trace along his chest. "That's probably the best way to look at it."

"Who knows, maybe after all this time once you see him again, you'll find your feelings aren't as strong as you thought they were." KyuJong's shirt was being pulled off, HyunJoong mouthing along his shoulder.

"Are you hoping to run into JaeJoong then? Find some closure of your own?" KyuJong asked, his head tipping back as HyunJoong's lips were progressively moving down his chest.

"No, I don't think it will help," HyunJoong shrugged, sliding off the couch to kneel down in front of him. KyuJong watched with an impassive face as HyunJoong was pulling his pants off, raising his hips to help the older man relieve him of them.

"Then why do you think I will?" KyuJong gasped out, running his hands through HyunJoong's hair as the man's head bobbed up and down.

"Trying to make you feel better," HyunJoong murmured, his hand taking over to .

"This works just as well," KyuJong said, his brow quirked. HyunJoong chuckled and agreed, resuming his task.

The rest of the afternoon and evening was spent in much the same way. The close proximity to YoungSaeng had renewed his need for physical contact. HyunJoong it seemed had the same need, as there was little conversation during, or even in between while they regained their energy. 

The intensity to the palatable, and KyuJong let the whole manor know how much he had enjoyed it, not bothering to stifle his cries as if YoungSaeng could hear him on the other side of the manor. He wanted YoungSaeng to know that he was moving on, in as spiteful a way as he could.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Morning came, and KyuJong wished for nothing more than to lounge around the room, continuing with HyunJoong what they had started the day before. HyunJoong wasn't protesting, eagerly pressing him back into the mattress, wrapping KyuJong's legs around his waist and ing against him when their eyes had barely opened.

Luckily the knock at the door had come when they had exhausted themselves, HyunJoong rolling away to lay sprawled out on his back while KyuJong got up to answer the door. Of course it was JungMin, arm laden with clothing and accessories.

"Good morning," JungMin smiled, entering when the door was opened fully. "Considering how loud you both were, I'm going to assume you slept well."

"Yes, thank you," KyuJong said coldly, shutting the door behind JungMin.

"Good, here," JungMin held out what was in his arms to KyuJong. "These are your dress robes for the coronation, you will receive a different set tomorrow. Can't wear the same thing twice to these things or people will talk."

"Why would I care if they gossip about me?" KyuJong said, taking the clothes from JungMin and laying them out on the bed. JungMin seemed to ignore that, holding out a thin box to KyuJong.

"Now, the coronation is start just after the noon hour, that's plenty of time for you to bathe, meet with the Prince and then attend the ceremony. I'll return in one hour, you had better be ready to go then," JungMin smiled.

KyuJong took the box from JungMin and opened it, blinking curiously at what was inside. "I don't understand JungMin, this is yours," KyuJong held up the black mask, two long feathers hanging from the side, one black, one red.

"You need a mask to attend the functions KyuJong," JungMin explained, still smiling. The servant turned to HyunJoong who was still lying in bed. "You are invited to the coronation and wedding as well HyunJoong, and your clothes are being brought up as we speak." HyunJoong blinked at that and nodded, casting a wary glance to KyuJong. "I'll be back in one hour," JungMin said with a bow, leaving as quickly as he had come.

"But this is your mask," KyuJong had said after him, and JungMin seemed to ignore what he said. He turned to HyunJoong, baffled. "I can't wear someone else's mask, if I get caught..."

"You'll be arrested," HyunJoong nodded, eyeing the mask in KyuJong's hand. "But I don't think he would have given you his mask to wear if he thought you would be arrested."

"True, but this still makes me wary," KyuJong frowned setting the mask down on the bed. Black was the color of his house, the cluster of rhinestones at the edge his age. The feathers... he pursed his lips. "Do you know what a black feather means?" KyuJong looked up at HyunJoong, knowing the red feather meant he was an experienced lover.

"Black usually signifies last of the line," HyunJoong said, finally sitting up.

"A dead house," KyuJong nodded with a sigh. He still did not feel right about this, but he had no choice in the matter.

After a long warm bath, the first in weeks it seemed, KyuJong was dressed and ready. He shifted his shoulders in the robes, having to get used to the finery again. It seemed an eternity before JungMin arrived and led him from the room. HyunJoong was to get ready while he had the conversation with YoungSaeng.

They walked down familiar corridors, and after enough twists and turns KyuJong recognized where they were going even before they were at the familiar set of double doors. Swallowing roughly he glanced at JungMin, clearly hesitant about this. Why did it have to be here of all places? It seemed JungMin was in a hurry to get things going, and opened the door with the shortest of knocks, nearly shoving KyuJong.

The room hadn't changed at all. Still a wide array of couches and furniture. The same paintings, the same drapes, the same everything. The only thing different were the two men seated on the closest couch. Both were wearing silver masks. After knowing YoungSaeng intimately, he knew right away which was which. With a start he remembered to bow, the feeling awkward and mechanical.

"You summoned me, m'lord," he said politely.

"I believe I told you that in this room you call me by my name," the Prince said softly, a hint of amusement in his voice.

"Of course, m'lord," KyuJong said, not rising from his bow. He heard YoungSaeng sigh loudly.

"KyuJong, look at me," YoungSaeng said sternly and KyuJong slowly straightened to look at the Prince who was now on his feet. The other on the couch was also rising, a pang of jealousy went through KyuJong as he glanced a the other, remembering how he had sat that close to YoungSaeng.

"It's been a long time," YoungSaeng said, motioning to a couch for KyuJong to sit, but KyuJong stayed where he was standing. "Ah, it's going to be that way," YoungSaeng nodded and stepped forward a pace. "Let's get this over and done with quickly then." The Prince reached up, unpinning the silver mask with its white feathers, and KyuJong noticed the feathers were wrapped in red ribbon; betrothal.

"What is it I can do for you, YoungSaeng," KyuJong said quietly.

"The mask you wear," YoungSaeng said, handing his mask to his mangto. "Whose is it?"

"JungMin's," KyuJong answered, his eyes narrowing slightly in confusion.

"Do you remember what I told you about JungMin? About his family?" YoungSaeng started to pace around the room, hands clasped behind his back.

"That he was the last of his house," KyuJong said, nodding. "What does that have to do with me?"

"He is the last of his house, because he has yet to find a suitable wife, but he has given up on that venture," YoungSaeng said, turning back to KyuJong. The Prince's lips were curled up in amusement. "KyuJong, I hereby entrust the lands and rights of the noble house of Park unto you."

There was a long moment where KyuJong stared at YoungSaeng, not comprehending. "Excuse me, but what?" he said, wanting to make sure he heard that correctly.

"JungMin has given up his titles, his money, and his land in his service to me," YoungSaeng said, retaking his seat. "He no longer has a need for them, nor wants the responsibility of it."

"But... why.. why give it to me?" KyuJong shook his head. He had not been expecting this in the least.

"You once told me that you wanted to be a free man, to do as you wished without owing a lord or land owner. So, there we are, you are a noblemen now KyuJong, and you are not subject to anyone."

"Except you," KyuJong said, narrowing his eyes. YoungSaeng smiled politely and inclined his head. "What if I don't want this? What if I want to make something of myself and not accept a handout?"

"That's entirely up to you KyuJong, I can't force you to take what I am offering," YoungSaeng sighed. "But you know as well as I that the chances of being able to get as far as what I'm offering to you are slim, if not nonexistent. Don't be a fool KyuJong, no one gets this kind of opportunity."

Taking a deep breath, KyuJong closed his eyes and thought. It was too good of an opportunity to pass up, and he would finally be a free man, with enough money to do as he pleased. "Okay," he nodded, opening his eyes, looking to YoungSaeng. "Okay, I'll take the offer."

"I'm glad," YoungSaeng smiled, a hint of dimples. "You're excused."

Not trying to show his shock at that, KyuJong bowed to the Prince and turned to go. He had expected to have a conversation of some sort, to talk about what had happened between them. Not to be handed a title and then ushered out. Even though he hadn't been looking forward to this, he was somewhat disappointed.

Out in the hall, JungMin was waiting for him with a smile. "You'll have a new mask fashioned tomorrow, before the wedding," JungMin said, bowing slightly. "For now you'll have to continue with my identity, I hope it isn't too stifling."

"I think I can manage," KyuJong laughed dryly, still trying to wrap his head around what had just happened. He had walked into that room a poor commoner, but was now a noble. He frowned, glancing to JungMin as they walked back to his room. "Why did you give it up?"

"It wasn't doing me any favors," JungMin said, shrugging. "Besides, I have my life here, that's all I need. Now I should be able to find a wife without any type of reservations."

"I hope you do," KyuJong nodded, watching the floor as they walked.

They reached the room shortly, and JungMin opened the door to see HyunJoong ready to go. The mask he wore was identical to KyuJong's, by all appearances a mangto. Why he would need one was besides the point, it would get them to the coronation without too many side eyes.

"Ready?" JungMin smiled, glancing between them. "Let's go watch a King be crowned."