A Lesson in Etiquette

Masquerade

Morning came, and when he opened his eyes it took several confused seconds before he remembered where he was. It wasn't just that he was in the royal manor, or in the Prince's apartments, but that he was in the bedroom and bed of said Prince.

 

There was also the fact that the Prince was currently curled up against him, face pressed against his chest.

 

KyuJong hadn't meant to fall asleep there, and now moving was out of the question as the Prince was still holding his hand tight, both arms curled around it and clutching it protectively. It was a long tense moment of KyuJong's heart hammering in his chest as he thought of how to get away from the situation when YoungSaeng's head tilted up to look at him. The Prince blinked blearily at him, likely in the same amount of confusion he was having.

 

"Is it morning?" YoungSaeng croaked out, yawning as he untangled his hands from KyuJong's and began to rub at his face. There was no mention of KyuJong being in his bed, that they had been cuddled together in the center of his bed. Nothing.

 

"I think so," KyuJong tried to not make it seem like he was jumping out of bed with as quickly as he got up. Nearly tripping over a sheet that was wrapped around his foot, KyuJong managed to get out of bed and moved around to the other side to help YoungSaeng.

 

"Did you sleep well?" YoungSaeng was already pulling the covers back, but accepted KyuJong's assistance with little fuss. His hair was a mess of curls stuck out in every direction, KyuJong tried not to smile at that, merely leading YoungSaeng from the room.

 

"Very well, yes," KyuJong nodded, opening the door to the washroom and ushering YoungSaeng inside. The Prince was still yawning, feet shuffling against the floor as he moved to sit down at the dressing table. "Did you?"

 

"I feel like my head is about to crack open," YoungSaeng whined, letting his head rest against the surface of the desk. "You were right KyuJong, you can hold your liquor."

 

"You can as well," KyuJong chuckled, picking up the brush from the table and started to slowly pull it through YoungSaeng's hair. He made sure not to tug too much on the locks, a headache was bad enough.

 

"I didn't make you uncomfortable, did I?" YoungSaeng lifted his head to look up at KyuJong through the mirror. "With sleeping in my bed I mean."

 

"No, of course not," KyuJong smiled back at him, continuing to brush the man's hair.

 

"You're lying, you were uncomfortable," YoungSaeng sighed, a pained look on his features. "I apologize for that. I just... get a little lonely sometimes."

 

"Understandable," KyuJong nodded, running his hand through YoungSaeng's hair, admiring how silky the dark hair was against his fingers.

 

"It was too much, too soon I think," YoungSaeng closed his eyes, whether at the feel of his hands or the headache, KyuJong wasn't sure. After a few silent moments YoungSaeng turned in his seat to look up at KyuJong. "I'll be very honest with you KyuJong. I am very alone in this place. Dinner last night was the first time I had seen my parents in three months. The only person I see and talk to on a regular basis is JungMin. It has been several weeks since there was someone here to share my quarters with. Even though you are my mangto, I meant it when I said we should be friends."

 

"Those that were before me," KyuJong started, setting down the brush on the table, "you were close to them as well?"

 

"In a way, yes," YoungSaeng said, looking into KyuJong's eyes. "All I ask of you KyuJong, is to be my friend. If you aren't comfortable sleeping in my bed with me, I will understand."

 

"I'd like to be friends," KyuJong said, helping YoungSaeng to his feet.

 

"I'd like that as well," YoungSaeng smiled, the dimples back against his cheeks.

 

"And if you would like me to sleep in your bed at night, then I can," KyuJong shrugged. "I'll be honest as well and say that I didn't mind. I'm used to sharing a bed."

 

"As long as you're okay with it," YoungSaeng nodded, letting his hands slip out of KyuJong's and he took a step back.

 

As KyuJong helped YoungSaeng to prepare for the morning, their talk was light chatter. Just simple getting to know each other with questions and answers and stories of their lives. The talk helped distract KyuJong from having to concentrate on bathing YoungSaeng, lest he blush himself into the floor. The last thing he did was help YoungSaeng affix the mask back to his face, and became the regal Prince once again.

 

When JungMin arrived to take them to KyuJong's first etiquette lesson, they were both dressed and ready, and a bit closer than they had been before.

 

~~~~~~~

 

The lesson's went more or less smoothly, with JungMin rolling his eyes at every mistake while YoungSaeng giggled behind his hand. KyuJong did his best to get everything right, but was admonished for even some of the smallest details

 

"Sit straight." JungMin prodded at KyuJong's back again and again until he felt like his spine would snap. "Good, you will sit like that through an entire meal. In court, you are expected to stay seated and at the table until you are excused by the King."

 

"What if I have to use the restroom?" KyuJong blinked up at JungMin.

 

"You will hold it," JungMin sighed, scowling at YoungSaeng who had fallen over into a heap from laughing. "Why are you here? You're not helping."

 

"I have nothing better to do, besides, this is entertaining," YoungSaeng said between laughs. KyuJong was having difficulty keeping from laughing as well, his lips quivering in amusement. "Are we almost done?"

 

"Yes, fine, go if you're so impatient," JungMin threw up his hands in resignation. "We'll try this again tomorrow." With that JungMin stomped from the room, shaking his head and muttering about children and not enough time. YoungSaeng was still shaking in mirth as they followed behind.

 

Breakfast was waiting for them when they returned, and once they were changed back into comfortable clothing they ate the assorted fruits and drank the watered wine.

 

"What did JungMin mean by not enough time?" KyuJong asked, swallowing down a particularly tasty bite. He had never had these types of fruit before, used to the simple wild berries that grew near his home.

 

"There's some grand function taking place next month, father has called in some of the greater land holders to discuss treaties," YoungSaeng shrugged, picking at his food. "It's tedious and boring, but we're expected to attend."

 

"So I have to be ready in a month?" KyuJong said, trying not to show the trepidation in his words at that. A month was not a long time, not if he was to learn all the nuances of court and the Prince's behavior.

 

"Yes, and I'm sorry for that," YoungSaeng smiled at him in sympathy. "You do not have enough time to prepare, but we'll have to make do. Training a new mangto this late was not supposed to happen, but there were some unforeseen... complications."

 

"Meaning that the last one was killed," KyuJong said softly, looking away when YoungSaeng nodded.

 

"He had been in my service for three months," YoungSaeng said, his voice was soft and distant. Forgetting about the food, KyuJong watched YoungSaeng's expression as the Prince was lost in his memories. "He took an arrow for me as we were walking the grounds. The assassin took a guess as to which one of it was. It wasn't the first time one had died in my presence," YoungSaeng was toying with his glass and KyuJong wasn't sure what to say.

 

"You don't have to talk about it if you don't want to," KyuJong said. "I know it must not be easy to lose the people you are so close to."

 

"I don't mind talking about them, they were important parts of my life," YoungSaeng smiled, sipping at his drink. "If I didn't talk about them, who else would remember they had lived?"

 

"That makes sense, I guess," KyuJong nodded, glancing down at his plate. He hoped that one day YoungSaeng would talk about him the same way he talked about the others to whoever was to take his place. KyuJong had no delusions about living very long, not with how dangerous the situation was. At the least though, he needed to get through the month to attend the function, so they didn't have to worry about training someone else in a hurry.

 

"Do you like to read?" YoungSaeng asked. They had moved into the library after eating, YoungSaeng selected a book from the shelf and moving to a chair to curl up in.

 

"I guess," KyuJong shrugged. Truthfully, he hadn't seen a book in years, and only knew how to read because he had spent some of his childhood in a sickbed with not much else to do. "Not a lot of time for reading when you work on the farms." KyuJong shrugged and selected a thin book because he liked the color of the binding.

 

"Well you'll have plenty of time then to read if you wish while you're here," YoungSaeng said with a smile, cracking his book open and placing it in his lap. "Since the incident on the grounds I'm pretty much on house arrest, and don't leave my rooms. Reading is the only thing that gets me through this time, especially since I've been alone."

 

"You're not alone anymore," KyuJong chuckled, settling into a chair. He looked up to see YoungSaeng considering what he had said, eyeing him.

 

"That's true," YoungSaeng nodded, closing his book. "Was there anything you would like to do instead?"

 

"Reading's fine," KyuJong shook his head, holding up the book. "It's been a while since I've just been able to sit and relax like this."

 

"Alright, then we'll read," YoungSaeng grinned and opened his book back up. "After lunch we'll do something a little more fun then?"

 

"Sounds good," KyuJong nodded, shifting slightly in his chair to get comfortable to read.

 

It was close to ten pages in to the book, that was very interesting as far as he was concerned, that he felt like someone was watching him. After a few more lines he let his gaze drift up from the pages to see YoungSaeng was staring at him. Their eyes locked and YoungSaeng quickly looked back down at his book. Blinking at that, KyuJong returned to reading, only to feel the eyes on him again after another page.

 

"Is there something on my face?" He asked, looking up again. YoungSaeng made a little noise but shook his head, sinking into his chair and promptly putting the book up between them. KyuJong would have laughed. The way YoungSaeng was acting reminded him of the girls back home who he'd catch staring at him while he tended to livestock, seeing them peek from around corners. A slow flush crept along his cheeks, trying not to think about what that implied when the Prince looked at him that way.

 

It was like flirting over the pages of their books. The constant back and forth of darting eyes and KyuJong couldn't help but smile a little. Granted he was a little confused as to why the Prince was acting this way, but maybe this is how he acted around friends. KyuJong wouldn't be surprised if the man was a little eccentric after his upbringing and his solitude.

 

After lunch, YoungSaeng decided they should take a walk around the manor. They dressed in the robes and masks and prepared to leave, JungMin waiting outside for them.

 

"I would much rather walk outside in the gardens," YoungSaeng sighed as they meandered down an empty hallway, JungMin several paces behind. "But I'm not allowed," he grumbled, glancing over his shoulder at JungMin.

 

"It's for your safety," KyuJong said. There was less of a chance of assassins being inside the manor as opposed to being exposed out on the grounds.

 

"I know, doesn't mean I like it," YoungSaeng said, smiling sadly. "I miss the sun, and the flowers. It's such a nice day outside too," he sighed, stopping at one of the windows in the hall and looking out. He pressed his hand against the glass, as if reaching out to touch the sunlight. KyuJong watched the Prince yearn for something as simple as walking outside, feeling guilty for all those times in the field when he wanted to do nothing more than to escape the burning heat of the sun. Even with all the money and power in the world, YoungSaeng couldn't buy his own freedom.

 

"Will it ever be safe?" he asked, stepping up beside YoungSaeng to look out as well.

 

"Maybe one day," YoungSaeng said, turning his head to look at him, the sad smile still there. "But I'm not counting on that anytime soon. Continue?" He stepped away from the window and started to walk down the hall again, KyuJong looking once more out the window before joining him.

 

"Have you thought about going out with the mask on?" KyuJong suggested. if the mask identified him as the Prince, then no one would give YoungSaeng a second glance outside. He hadn't expected YoungSaeng to stop short and had continued walking a few paces before he realized it. Stopping and turning, he looked at YoungSaeng in confusion.

 

"That is forbidden," YoungSaeng said quietly, his eyes wide and lips set in a thin line. "No one is to see my face, not even the servants are to look at me without my mask on."

 

"But... I have seen you without your mask, and JungMin," KyuJong shook his head, not understanding.

 

"You are my mangto, it would be hard to live in the same space if you didn't see me, know my mannerisms without the mask," YoungSaeng had started to walk again, his hands clasped behind his back. "JungMin is a special case, he has been my closest friend for years. I have even considered making him my mangto on several occasions."

 

"Why haven't you?" KyuJong glanced over his shoulder at the redhead calmly walking behind them.

 

"JungMin is of noble blood, it wouldn't be appropriate," YoungSaeng said, his voice tight. KyuJong wondered if he was asking too many questions, but reasoned that if he was to essentially become the Prince, he needed to know as much about the man's life as possible.

 

YoungSaeng was watching him out of the corner of his eye and after a moment he sighed, speaking softly. "When JungMin was little, his entire family was wiped out by plague. He was only spared because he had been staying with me for the summer. We were very close friends, and it hurt him a great deal when his family died. My parents took him in, and he has been in my service since."

 

"And you are still close?" KyuJong asked, knowing though that their interactions around each other had been familiar and friendly as opposed to the rigid courtesy he'd come to expect from servants.

 

"Yes, very much so," YoungSaeng nodded, his smile had softened and took on a warm attribute. "Which is the main reason why I would never agree to him becoming my mangto. If something were to happen to him, I'd be losing my best friend, and I couldn't bear that."

 

KyuJong considered YoungSaeng's words, and how from his position how selfish that sounded. If JungMin was of noble blood, then why was he continuing to be a servant to the Prince? JungMin seemed of age to be his own man, possibly marry. KyuJong wondered if YoungSaeng would ever let him go if that were to be the case, ever let JungMin live his own life away from him.

 

The point of the walk, KyuJong realized, was to familiarize himself with the manor so he did not become lost if he were to be out on his own. As they walked, YoungSaeng told him of some of his favorite memories growing up, like sliding down the grand staircase on a couch cushion (the resulting broken arm was not a part of that fond memory), or sneaking into the kitchen larders with JungMin to sneak sweets.

 

Turning down a long hall, YoungSaeng's steps faltered and KyuJong could hear a sharp intake of breath. "Something wrong?" he asked, looking around worriedly.

 

"This is the Hall of Kings," YoungSaeng swallowed roughly but began to stride with purpose, as if wanting to rush through and get past. "Every king of the past three centuries," he said, barely giving the paintings and artifacts a passing glance as they went.

 

"Are you descended from them?" KyuJong asked, even if YoungSaeng wasn't interested, he was and tried to look around with how quickly they were moving through.

 

"Only the past four generations," YoungSaeng said, his head turning to look up at a painting near the end of the hall. I will be the fifth King of our dynasty."

 

"How long do dynasties usually last?" KyuJong had never had much of a history lesson, not that anyone knew much beyond what the oldest living member of their village did. There were legends of course, greatly exaggerated from retellings, but nothing he would say was fact.

 

"The longest dynasty was seven generations, the shortest was one," YoungSaeng said, who seemed to visibly relax once they had turned out of the hall. For YoungSaeng's sake, KyuJong let the matter drop, although he was still very curious about the succession and how dynasties ended. It wasn't every day you received a history lesson. He reasoned though that it was probably better to consult the books in the study than to upset YoungSaeng about something that obviously upset him. Though why it upset him was a mystery in itself.

 

Returning to the apartments, YoungSaeng dropped onto one of the couches and sighed, pulling his mask off and settling it on his chest. "I hope you enjoyed the tour," he said, smiling over at KyuJong who had seated himself on another nearby couch.

 

"It was interesting, thank you," KyuJong nodded, removing his own mask and setting it in his lap. "Can't say I'm not a little overwhelmed, and I'm sure I'll get lost my first few times. It must have been amazing growing up here."

 

"I guess," YoungSaeng shrugged, shifting and looking up at the ceiling. "I didn't spend that much time out of my rooms, and if I did I was outside. But that was when they didn't worry about my life so much, when people weren't trying to kill me."

 

"For someone who fears for their life every day, you seem rather well adjusted," KyuJong said lightly, an attempt at humor. YoungSaeng saw it for what it was and laughed along with him. It was a dry laugh, the Prince's lips turned upward and his face crinkling in amusement.

 

"I could say the same for you KyuJong," the Prince looked at him, the smile now turned sad. "I try to get through it just one day at a time, as I'm sure you will once you realize what you've got yourself into."

 

"I know what I've got myself into, and dying at the hand of an assassin is no worse than dying of a sickness or out in the fields," KyuJong shrugged.

 

"We are going to be cynical friends you and I," YoungSaeng chuckled, pushing himself up to sitting. "It will be a nice change of pace. Shall we have dinner and relax for the night?"

 

"If you're hungry," KyuJong nodded. He was starving but wasn't going to bring up the subject first. Once they had dinner and drink summoned, YoungSaeng went to his room to change, ordering KyuJong to go do so as well. JungMin had done as asked and provided KyuJong with an array of clothing to wear around the apartments, a fitting for more formal clothing was scheduled for later in the week.

 

"I recall you telling me that I was expected to help you dress," KyuJong said, grinning when dinner had arrived and they were seated at the table. Now that they were both in comfortable clothing KyuJong had an easier time thinking of YoungSaeng as a friend as a normal person and not as the Prince.

 

"I was testing you," YoungSaeng admitted sheepishly, taking a sip of his wine. "Technically you are supposed to help me do everything, and I'm not supposed to lift a finger except to call for you. I was just seeing if you could be trusted to do so. I don't really need you to bathe or dress me."

 

"Well then maybe I won't anymore," he teased and YoungSaeng wrinkled his nose at him. "If anyone asks though I'll make sure to tell them I'm performing my duties as expected."

 

"You're a quick learner," YoungSaeng said, setting down his glass and running his hand along the top of it.

 

"I'm trying," KyuJong said, picking at his food. Having more to eat than a plate of rice and some vegetables was odd as he stared at the choice cuts of meat on the table. Meat was usually reserved for important or special occasions. To have it every day, and so much of it was going to be something he'd have to get used to. Just another thing to add to that growing list.

 

"I would say you're doing quite well, for a farmer's son," YoungSaeng was leaning his chin in his hand, elbow propped up on the table. "Maybe we won't have to worry so much about how well you'll do come next month."

 

"Let's hope not, it could be disastrous," KyuJong said, finishing his meal and picking up his drink again.

 

"How astute," YoungSaeng had finished as well and was standing up, drink in hand as he moved from the table to a couch. "The next few weeks will be full of etiquette and dance lessons, as well as studying my mannerisms down to how I hold my glass."

 

"Looking forward to it," KyuJong followed, joining him on the same couch. It was as he was sitting that he realized that everytime he chose to sit on the same couch as YoungSaeng. It wasn't as if there weren't other couches or chairs to sit at, there were quite a few arrayed around the room. Maybe it was so they had an easier time talking, he thought and brushed it aside.

 

After several more glasses of wine, YoungSaeng was settled comfortably into the corner of the couch, a drunken smile on his lips. "KyuJong," he said, opening his eyes and looking at him with a hazy gaze.

 

"Yes?" KyuJong wasn't far behind in the drunk scale, and his head flopped over to the side, resting against the back of the couch.

 

"I like you KyuJong," YoungSaeng drawled, closing his eyes and the smile growing. "You're nice."

 

"I like you too YoungSaeng," KyuJong chuckled, finishing off his wine and setting it down on the table carefully so it didn't fall.

 

"That's the first time you've said my name," YoungSaeng said quietly, his eyes open again and staring at KyuJong, his mouth open. "Can I call you my friend?"

 

"Of course, I'm happy to be your friend," KyuJong sat back, shifting so he was a little closer to the drunken Prince. They sat like that for a long time, grinning drunkenly at each other until YoungSaeng made a sour face and looked down at his drink that was empty.

 

"I think it's time for bed KyuJong," YoungSaeng sighed, handing him the empty glass to set on the table. KyuJong helped the Prince to standing, staggering slightly when YoungSaeng lost his balance. Their heads knocked into one another, YoungSaeng's hair brushing against his cheek.

 

The older man pulled back, his hazy eyes looking over KyuJong's features and for a moment, KyuJong wondered what the other was thinking as they stood face to face, KyuJong's arms holding YoungSaeng up. Clearing his throat, KyuJong turned his head and mumbled something about getting to bed and YoungSaeng nodded, though there was a very soft sigh along with it.

 

Getting the Prince situated into bed, KyuJong turned to leave, to go back to the bed that he should have been staying in when he heard a whine.

 

"KyuJong?" YoungSaeng whispered, holding his hand out for the other to take. "Stay with me?"

 

Standing there in consideration, KyuJong looked down at the Prince. The sane part of his mind told him to just go, that the Prince was drunk and no good ever came from being that close to someone who was drunk and alone. His problem was the sane part of his mind was always the quieter one, and he turned back, climbing into bed next to YoungSaeng.

 

~~~~

 

The first week passed before KyuJong could turn around, and he was starting to get more comfortable with his new situation, and with his new friend. His time with YoungSaeng was the most fun he had had in his life. Even if they were doing nothing more than sitting quietly in the study reading yet not reading as they threw glances at each other. The more that he read the more he was able to have discussions with the Prince on points of politics and science. Things he had never considered himself to be interested in, but when he was deep into conversation with YoungSaeng about the points of economics and how the feudal system was largely unsustainable, he found it was the most fascinating thing in the world.

 

The etiquette lessons continued into the second week, and even JungMin had to concede he was doing very well. Enough that the servant was questioning his lineage again and if he was sure he was a farmers son.

 

Nothing could compare though to the evenings alone when they would drink themselves into a stupor, stumble into bed, and when KyuJong woke, finding YoungSaeng pressed against his side. The first time he had woken to find the man's arm around his waist, KyuJong had panicked, thinking this friendship of theirs had progressed into something he wasn't sure what to define it as. The second time, he just smiled. The third time, his arm had found its way back around YoungSaeng's form.

 

They never discussed it. Once out of bed and awake they went about their morning routine as if their nightly cuddle sessions were just a normal part of life, and KyuJong rather preferred it that way. There were questions there that he did not want to entertain. Mostly, he just didn't want it to end, and feared facing it would cause a rift between them that for all the money in the world he never wanted to happen.

 

"I look like a peacock," YoungSaeng sighed, standing in front of the mirror in the washroom as KyuJong buttoned up the very tiny buttons up his back. The stiff brocade fabric was making it difficult and more than once he cursed the demon women who had sewn this monstrosity of an outfit.

 

"If it makes you feel better, I'll be wearing the same thing," KyuJong grumbled, finally getting the last button done and starting to work on the laces of where the overshirt met the tunic beneath, weaving them together. Once done, he stepped back and looked the Prince up and down. Now that the outfit was put together, it didn't look that bad, but he had to agree with YoungSaeng's assessment. The man did look like a peacock, and the blue and green flares at the backside of the overshirt accentuated that point.

 

"It does, thank you," YoungSaeng nodded, hands on his hips as he stared into the mirror, turning to look at how the outfit sat on him. "I don't know why they made such an outfit, dress robes aren't enough?" He touched the lace around his throat and wrinkled his nose.

 

"Isn't it to show up the guests?" KyuJong laughed, eyeing his own outfit still on its rack against the wall.

 

"Probably," YoungSaeng shook his head, throwing his hands up in resignation and turned to look at KyuJong. "Well let's get you dressed then, we need to be down in the main hall to receive guests within the hour."

 

"I must be honest YoungSaeng, I'm more than a little nervous," KyuJong said, holding still while YoungSaeng fitted the overshirt onto him, doing up buttons and laces. "I hope I don't make a mistake."

 

"You will do just fine," YoungSaeng soothed. Once the shirt was on and straightened, YoungSaeng settled his hands on KyuJong's arms, resting his chin on the other's shoulder and looking at him in the mirror. KyuJong flushed slightly and looked down at the outfit, brushing at with his hand. "Just remember, we're not obligated to speak to anyone but the King and Queen, and I don't think that will be happening."

 

"I know, but still, I'm nervous," KyuJong chuckled, shaking his head. "How long are we expected to stay?"

 

"We aren't permitted to leave until the King retires for the night," YoungSaeng said, sliding his hands off of KyuJong's arms and walking around to stand in front of him. "Father doesn't like to stay more than an hour, just enough to greet the guests and have a glass of wine. If there is business to discuss it will wait until tomorrow."

 

"So, at most an hour then," KyuJong nodded, taking in a deep breath. "I think I can handle that."

 

"Good, now let's put on our face's then," YoungSaeng turned to the cabinet that held the masks, opening up the doors. KyuJong was looking over them again, noting the tiny differences between them. One of his lessons had been about the language of the masks and now knew what each of those ornaments and differences meant.

 

"Why is that one different?" KyuJong tilted his head, pointing up to the large silver full face mask. It was identical to the usual mask YoungSaeng wore except it covered down to the chin.

 

"That is for the wedding," YoungSaeng said softly, not looking up as he picked up his mask and began to attach it to his face.

 

"The wedding?" KyuJong frowned, not sure what that meant. After a second it dawned on him, YoungSaeng meant his wedding. "Oh, I see, but why is it a full face?"

 

"Custom. The King and his bride are not to see each other's faces until after the wedding," YoungSaeng said, turning to KyuJong to help him with his own mask. KyuJong couldn't help but notice the sadness in YoungSaeng's eyes when he looked at the Prince.

 

"The King? You mean you don't marry until you've been crowned?" KyuJong had thought the Prince would marry first, then be crowned.

 

"The wedding usually takes place the day after the coronation, it's another silly custom," YoungSaeng said, his hands dropping away once KyuJong's mask was in place. "I think we're ready, I'm sure JungMin is waiting. Once we leave the room, don't speak a word."

 

"Of course," KyuJong nodded, still unsure about the tone of YoungSaeng's voice. It seemed that YoungSaeng was unhappy with the prospect of becoming King, or marriage, or maybe both. Thinking about that as they left the apartment's behind JungMin, it wasn't the first time KyuJong's heart had ached in sympathy for the Prince. Some men started wars over crowns and women, but YoungSaeng hadn't been given the choice if he wanted it or not. It was only a happenstance of birth that he was in such a position.

 

They were led down corridors away from the main entrance where the guests would be entering, instead using the back doors into the main dining hall. The King and Queen had yet to arrive, and as YoungSaeng and KyuJong were brought to their seats at the head table, KyuJong got his first real look at the members of court.

 

Since he had arrived in the spring, he had not yet seen the nobles of the kingdom. During the summer and winter months they flooded the King's manor with their presence and the halls were always abuzz with the latest gossip. Now that they were all back in the same room, there was a frenzied need to catch up with the latest scandals.

 

They were greeted by dozens of nobles and their wives, paying not much more than lip service to the Prince and his shadow. Since no one knew which was which, it was an odd conversation when they would look between the two, but speak as if they were talking to but one person. Some had a nervousness to their demeanor when they approached that only by biting the inside of his cheek did KyuJong manage to keep a straight face.

 

After more than ten minutes of the constant barrage of greetings, the King's presence was announced. People began to file to their seats when the King and Queen entered and took a seat at the table. All attention on the royal couple, KyuJong felt himself relax slightly, as they were largely ignored for the rest of their meal. Since they really only had each other to talk to, KyuJong and YoungSaeng held a whispered conversation between themselves once the plates of food had been taken away and the floor cleared of tables so the guests could mingle.

 

No one came within a few paces of the two as they stood against the wall, eyeing them rather suspiciously but it was hard to tell with their masks. The King and Queen were still greeting guests, some were taking a few minutes longer than was normal, engaging the King in talk of business.

 

"I think he's trying to make a break for it," YoungSaeng leaned over to whisper, shielding his mouth with his hand. "That Count is wanting to talk about raising his tax on the field workers and father has rebuked his offer twice so far this year."

 

"His Majesty should make it a rule not to bring up matters of business during a party lest they want to lose their ear," KyuJong whispered back, earning a light chuckle from YoungSaeng.

 

"Maybe I will make that a rule if he doesn't," YoungSaeng replied and KyuJong turned to look at YoungSaeng, the Prince's eyes were dancing behind his mask. "Of course, I'd likely send in my mangto in my place to these affairs."

 

"Wouldn't that make him an easy target?" KyuJong said mildly. There was an implication to this discussion that didn't need to be said. The chances of KyuJong living long enough to be the one to do so were slim. It was a thought that depressed him, but not because he was fated to die.

 

"Perhaps," YoungSaeng's tone sobered and he looked away. The Prince was likely thinking the same as KyuJong.

 

A waiter approached, bearing a tray with two glasses of wine for them. They accepted the glasses without a word, KyuJong taking a small sip while YoungSaeng held his in his hand for a moment, just looking around the crowd. KyuJong tried to think of something to change the atmosphere around the two of them, something more comforting than thoughts of death and assassins. The wine was good, but there was a bite to the aftertaste that had him wrinkling his nose.

 

Out of the corner of his eye he saw YoungSaeng lift his glass to his lips when the whole room started to spin. Knocking the glass from YoungSaeng's hand, he sagged against the Prince, clutching at his shirt as he fell over. The last image he saw before he tumbled into blackness was YoungSaeng hovering over him, eyes wide and scared.