2.1 Restaurant (Bonus Chapter!)

My Won and Only Hoe

I wrote this because I was bored and I figure who is mad about extra stories? So here you go! What happens behind the doors of the fancy restaurant~~~

 

The icy cold bit at the face as the petite girl shuffled through the night streets. It wasn’t an awkward shuffle, more like a cupid shuffle. She grooved joyfully as she enjoyed the rhythm of Trespass, one of her favourite songs at the time. Under her left arm was a paper bag containing various fruits and vegetables. She had been sent to collect them before the market closed by the head chef at the restaurant she worked in. Apparently they had some very special guests coming that night who wanted a specific meal. Really they were only out of noodles, but the fridge was running low on certain stock anyway so Shia took it upon herself to get a few extra peppers and onions.

 

After around a 15 minute brisk walk, she had arrived back at the plain looking building. Despite its simple exterior, on the inside was actually a beautiful Michelin star restaurant. The dark blue staff entrance at the back of the building and up the steep stairs was a changing room. Quickly removing her jacket and heading into the kitchen.

 

“ I’m back~” She sang happily as she walked through the door. As expected, it was empty. This was good. She liked the quite. Pulling her short hair back out of her face, she tied on the apron and set about preparing the vegetables while she had a few minutes. That way, when Chef came in he would have less to do. She let her mind rest on the image of him for a while. The way he tied his apron on, his neatly combed pink hair and how detailed he was when it came to cooking. Something about his strictness made her heart flutter a little. Shia giggled to herself, her daydreams were so childish.

 

“You’re here already?” As she began to think of him, Chef Kihyun walked through the doorway, securing his hairnet on tightly. Shia gave him her usual bubbly smile as he came over. What was she doing in here? Waitresses weren’t usually allowed in the kitchen….He glanced down at the sliced pepper on the chopping board. He had to hand it to her, despite her having nothing to do with kitchen work the young girl prepared vegetables fairly well. He picked one up of the board and ate it “Cut them thinner or we can’t use them”

 

“R-right.” Shia nodded, focusing on the blade. IT was true, she had never gone into the kitchen before, and she wasn’t allowed to. But occasionally she went in to relay messages to chefs or to collect dishes that had to be served fresh. In those moments she would watch the head chef and listen to his critiques for the trainees. He seemed pretty chilled but she had no idea how strict he was over the size of carrot slices! She had barely even cut them 3 millimetres wide! Nonetheless she continued on slicing.

 

The two stood in the room each getting on with their respective jobs silently until the sound of chairs scratching the floors met his ears.  The customers had arrived.

 

“What’s your name?” Kihyun asked her, breaking the silence as he laid out his desired utensils and came over for the peppers Shia had cut.

 

“My name is Seon Shia. I’m a waitress here” She explained as she handed him the tray

 

“I’m Kihyun, I’m the head chef here, and it’s just me and you tonight so we’ll be working closely.” He bowed lightly to great her, a slight smile on his round cheeks. “That guest is someone important to me, so be polite.” She bowed back and glanced out of food hatch to see a familiar blue and white haired man sitting opposite a Nubian queen. She smiled happily

 

“Wonho Oppa!” She said to herself, excited that she was finally getting to see the girl that her friend so obviously liked. That got her curious though, she turned back to Kihyun “You know them?”

 

Kihyun gave a nod as he set some pasta on to boil “Me and him went to school together so we’re fairly close” Wonho had come in some weeks ago asking about getting a job for “an energetic but hard working” friend of his. Kihyun remembered Wonho putting emphasis on the fact that the girl was very cute, claiming that her face alone could get customers in the door. He also remembered rolling his eyes and agreeing to hire this person, but Wonho’s description of her was pretty accurate. She was both cute and hardworking, it wasn’t easy doing a 1am overtime shift.

 

Shia gave an entertained nod and skipped out neatly, dusting off her navy blue culottes and fixing her hair neatly before heading out. She recited her introduction over and over to herself, to avoid tripping over her words. She smiled brightly as she approached the table.

 

"Evening to you both, can I get your order?" She asked politely, there were some mispronunciations but it didn’t bother her too much. Shia hadn’t been in Korea long, round about 3 months actually , so her language skills were fairly limited.  

 

"You know my usual" Of course she did. HE was in here often enough that most of the waitresses new exactly what he was going to order every time Wonho smiled up at the server girl, resting his head on his hand. The girl beside him raised a brow but decided to sweep it under the rug.

 

"I'll have a sprite with ice, thanks sweetie." She spat out the sarcastic nickname with a fairly sharp tongue which didn't seem to affect the waitress at all. She simply smiled as she relayed the order

 

"So that's iced sprite and a half soju half cola with two lemon slices on the side right?" The girl relayed the order from memory which did impress Min Soo but she wouldn't admit it. Wonho nodded confirmation "Alright I'll get that sorted for you" she bowed lightly and turned away

 

"Actually -" Wonho interrupted the girl’s path by grabbing her wrist lightly. "I changed my mind, can I get three slices?" He quickly changed his mind and gave a grin

"No problem, sure I can sort you out. Feeling adventurous are we?" She smiled a little.

 

"When am I not?" Wonho raised a seemingly suggestive eyebrow, she knew that was just his manner of speech though. He had a strange sense of humour, which often involved attempting to embarrass or make the opposing party feel awkward and shy.

 

The girl giggled back before continuing on her way. That's when Min Soo noticed that Wonho has been holding her hand the entire time, even as the waitress took her leave he was holding on, letting her wrist slip from his grasp. Once she had reached the staff area, Shia glanced over her shoulder and smiled at the two, only to be met by the murderous gaze of the Girl beside him. She gave her a sheepish grin before backing into the kitchen and readying the drinks.

 

The kitchen was silent between the two of them. It was awkward and Shia hated it. Even though they were on opposite sides of the room, it felt as though he was breathing down her neck watching her.

 

She had to break the silence. She went back over to the hatch, leaning on the ledge a little and tried something a little bit strange.

 

“Kihyun Oppa?” She called to the chef, wondering how he would react. She looked over her shoulder at him, keeping a poker face on

 

“Oppa?” he turned to face her with a frown “I’m not your Oppa”

 

“How come?” She turned and tilted her head “Because Wonho like my brother so I can call him Oppa. So if you’re his friend, which by default makes you my Oppa as well”

 

“I don’t think that’s how this works” He gave a slight laugh and raised an eyebrow at the girl’s mistake. Shia kept her emotions down, but she couldn’t help but feel butterflies when he did that with his face. She felt stupid admitting it though.

 

“Is it not?” She frowned back, expecting to get a response, but she stopped herself from asking when she overheard talking from the two outside.

 

"I'll...be back in a minute" Wonho explained convincingly, standing up and heading towards the bathroom. Things seemed too had gotten frigid on table 7…what happened there?

 

Curiously, she walked out the room towards the bar area and pretended to clean so she could gauge the situation a little better. Wonho passed her by without so much as batting an eyelid which was strange to say the least. He would usually at least give her a small smile. She frowned and pondered what could have potentially gone wrong.

 

Her thoughts were interrupted by the clearing of someone’s throat in front of her. Out of impulse she looked up and grabbed the nearest glass

 

“How can I help you?” She asked with a smile, only to notice that it was the girl Wonho had come with. She pushed up her rimless glass, her neatly lined eyes unblinking as she stared with a plastic smile.

 

“How’s that drink coming along Sweetie?” She asked her native language, her staring was starting to unnerve Shia now. It was understandable that she would want to talk in a language they were both fluent in…but something about her words was colder now.

 

Shia blinked and put the glass down “I’m sorry, we only stock spirits behind the bar. I’ll go get your drink ready now.” She explained and started walking away, only to be stopped by a firm grip on her wrist. She tried to stop the impulse to shake but couldn’t

 

“Now…I don’t wanna be mean to you, cuz I’m not that girl. “ Min Soo spoke slowly, keeping her voice low “But keep your hands of daddy. Got it? I’m not trying to fight anyone tonight”

 

Shia chewed her lip nervously. She knew she could easily defend herself at moments like this but there was something about the situation that threw the brit into shock. She tried to diffuse the situation “But…Oppa isn’t old enough to be a father yet”

 

“Oppa?!” Min Soo exclaimed before scoffing and continuing on “Look little girl, that’s my man, I got there first! So take your ratchet , throw it in a circle and exit stage left. Thank you”

 

Well things weren’t exactly going to plan….next strategy

 

“Unni, if you want him you can have him” She held up her other hand defensively, keeping her voice neutral “I’m sorry, I just respect him a lot and-“

 

“Well don’t!” Min Soo screwed her face at the girl and threw her wrist down. “And don’t call me Unni, we aren’t friends” And with that she returned to her seat in an angered huff. Shia rubbed her wrist and bowed, keeping professional. Customers like these weren’t uncommon, but now she had pain in her arm. She shook out her hand as she shuffled back towards the kitchen, picking up on the conversation between the pinkette who was cutting radishes and the confused blond-and-bluenette.


"What's up?" He queried his friends without taking his eyes from the radish. He diced them finely before throwing them in the frying pan "your hot date not going as planned"
 


"I don't even know what's going on, she just seemed really mad after we placed the order" He shook his head and looked over Kihyun's shoulder



"She's probably just hungry" Wonho nodded at Kihyun’s cool headed response. "here, the starter's nearly done, just go back in there and ask her what wrong" he finished laying out the plates and called the waitress over, telling her to get ready to serve the drinks



She examined the cups, making sure the glasses were pristine before ensuring the amount of drink each man received was alright. "Kihyun Oppa, this is for table 7 right?" She asked and picked them up with two plates of bread and butter, focusing intently so as not to drop them on the floor.



Kihyun sighed as he began sautéing the vegetables "No, it's for table 12" He rolled his eyes but kept them on the meal at hand, cautious not to burn the vegetation "and we're at work, I'm still Chef." He gave her a sideways glance causing the waitress to pout and look at Wonho. She had wanted to try sparking conversation politely but it wasn’t working out all too well.


"Wonho....Ki-Oppa is being mean to me" she explained, pulling a sad face with a cute pout. Wonho sighed and patted her back with a light smile. He knew all too well that she was acting to get Kihyun’s attention; Shia was that sort of fox like girl. He had known her almost since she got off the plane in Korea; he helped her to learn the language and even landed her this job at Kihyun’s restaurant. Despite her not being native, Wonho saw her as the sister he never had.



"It's alright Shia" he ruffled her hair giving her a caring smile "c’mon, walk with me" he says while walking her out into the hall way, one arm over her shoulder comfortingly.



Kihyun watched them both leave. Did he really make her sad? Or was she just messing him around? He should have scolded them for not adhering to health and safety policies in the kitchen but he was too distracted by the situation at hand to gauge a reply. That girl…she was funny.



"Think he bought it?" Shia asked quietly, trying to retain a straight face as she walked out. She looked up at her brother figure or his reaction, and was pleasantly surprised when he smirked back with a nod



"You're really bad Y’know" Wonho laughed to a little "Why don't you just tell him if you like him?" He held the door open to the dining area



"Why don't you just confess to her if you like?" Shia sassed back, using her head to nod in the direction of Min Soo. Wonho stared, trying to give a response but couldn't "see? You've known her longer than I've known Ki-Oppa and you didn't confess yet."

 

She was right. There were times when he looked at the nineteen year old and wonder if she was actually ninety year old sage. She hit him with her him playfully.

 

“Go si’down, and make the girl love you” she demanded, waiting for him to sit before bringing the drinks over and returning once again to the kitchen. It was quiet in there but it wasn’t that same awkward silence from before. Kihyun would call Shia over every so often to taste something and Shia would crack a dad joke, enjoying Kihyun’s cringing.

 

The cycle continued until the couple left the restaurant and the two workers cleaned up.

 

 

 

 

 

“Nice working with you today chef-Oppa” Shia as she walked out of the changing room. Kihyun was waiting at the bottom of the staircase for her so he could lock up. He watched as the previously short, cute girl came down the stairs in a white button down shirt, paired with tan walking boots and blue skinny jeans. Something about how she let down her bobbed hair gave her height and elegance.

 

“…You’re going out like that?” He asked her with a frown

 

“Yeah” she span as she reached the bottom of the stairs “What’s wrong it?”

 

“You’re going to freeze to death if you go out in that!” Kihyun gave an almost irritated yell “Don’t you know the temperature outside?”

 

Shia frowned “I’m fine, I walked here like this so what’s the issue? I have my coat too” She showed him the dark blue long padded jacket. Kihyun nodded, that gave him some piece of mind.

 

He sighed with content and started lecturing her “Men who walk at this time of night are all pigs, if you walk around dressed like that; someone is going to try something on you”

 

She pulled the fluffy hood up and screwed her face at him. “I know how to fight people Y’know, I’m not stupid”

 

“…”Kihyun swallowed.

 

She was cute…

 

He opened the door and cleared his throat. “Just…don’t dress so pretty next time” he concluded after letting her out and locking the doors. Shia paused for a while….he just…he called her pretty! She buried her face within her jacket and started walking off. “Where are you going?”

 

“Huh? O-oh” She stopped and looked at him “The bus stop” She pointed over the road to the bus stop. It wasn’t too far away and the bus was just pulling up.

 

“Travel safely okay, I’ll see you tomorrow” He smiled at her, watching as she ran and boarded the bus. He waited until the vehicle pulled off before going to the car park “Oppa….I could get used to that”

 

Little trivia -this was meant to be how story went first! It was called Kihyun and the cafe-