Chapter Sixteen: Smoke

The Path Less Chosen

Chapter Sixteen

Smoke

 

 

Leeteuk sat on the bright pink rug with his legs crossed, while Heechul lounged on his bed, going on and on about something the older had tuned out a bit ago. They had spent a lot of time outside of school by now and Leeteuk found that the feminine boy that was perched above him was only slightly like his image when it really got down to it.

He was loud and was concerned with his vanity a good amount of the time, however he wasn’t as ice cold as the “Princess” pretended to be. There was some kind of sympathy that Leeteuk could see in his eyes whenever one of the slaves of the house would come in to give them something. He never brought it up though, as he knew that Heechul would deny it anyway.

Leeteuk rested his head in his arms as he lay down on the floor. He sighed contently, “What was your childhood like?” Leeteuk remembered his own past well enough. Before all of the chaos had happened with the Chosen and the Ruins, and all of that, he remembered the memories he had fondly.

Perhaps he was just seeing things but he could’ve sworn that he saw Heechul flinch before sitting up in his bed, his expression indifferent as he shrugged. “No worse or better than most I suppose.” He spoke cryptically and Leeteuk raised an eyebrow, giving the flower boy a questioning look.

Heechul looked over to him defensively. “Why are you looking at me like that? Admiring my beauty again?”

“I just thought that you would’ve given me a better answer than that,” A small smile spread across Leeteuk’s lips, “You normally take any opportunity to go on about something for hours.”

“Guess not today.” Heechul spoke flatly and Leeteuk was going to investigate when he turned to see an awkward looking boy - a very familiar awkward looking boy to be exact.

The boy held the tray of tea shakily, trying to open the door all the way as he struggled. The boy’s pitch black hair fell into his eyes before he glanced up and his eyes focused straight on Leeteuk as he dropped the whole tray. “Leeteukie hyung?” He seemed so shocked that he failed to realize the broken glass and tea that had splattered everywhere.

Leeteuk rushed over to pick up the pieces while the other boy just blinked, repeating the words a second time. Heechul, who had seemed like he was going to aid in the effort to help initially, took it as his turn to give Leeteuk a questioning look. He had stood up from the bed, his arms crossed as he inquired an eyebrow in the oldest in the room’s direction as well as the other boy.

“You two know each other?” He asked, sounding nonchalant.

Leeteuk shot Yesung a warning glance and the other seemed to pick it up immediately. “Uhh… yeah.” Leeteuk nodded for good measure, “He used to… work for my family…”

Leeteuk was much better of a liar than Yesung, however that wasn’t saying much. Heechul most certainly didn’t seem to be buying it. Leeteuk gulped, feeling his palms start to sweat as the younger boy also seemed a bit afraid.

Heechul directed his attention towards Yesung, causing Leeteuk to sigh out in relief quietly as he didn’t feel interrogated for the time being. Yesung, however, tensed beside him. “What are you doing here anyway, where’s Ryeowook?”

The other boy cast his head down sadly. “He was transferred over to a new family.” The boy mumbled out quietly and Heechul’s eyes widened in visible shock.

“What!? When?”

Yesung took the time to become very interested in the carpet, while Leeteuk finally picked up the last piece of porcelain and set it down carefully on the tray. “Y-yesterday.” He stumbled out, “I don’t know why.””

Heechul growled frustrated, taking Leeteuk aback as he’d never seen the other male so upset over something. He tried to go over to him, however the younger glared at him. Heechul shoved him away, the exposed skin bruising on contact.

“You!” Heechul hissed, directing his attention back over to the older. “You’ve been hiding something, haven’t you?”

Leeteuk blinked at the sudden accusation. Then again, he supposed that it wasn’t too sudden after his dongsaeng had made it clear that they had a history. He swallowed softly, wary of the consequences of being caught in his act.

Heechul approached him dangerously. “I don’t even need to ask.” He spat venomously, before shaking his head and murmuring, “Just when I thought I could finally trust someone.”

Leeteuk sighed. Despite the original plan having been to get close to him simply as a way to get him, along with Eunhyuk and Donghae, into Eden, he had actually developed real feelings with him.

“You can trust me.” He responded firmly, his eyes flicking over to the incredibly awkward seeming Yesung. The youngest seemed to feel a bit out of place as Heechul confronted Leeteuk.

Heechul's eyes continued to glint angrily. "Then tell me what you've been keeping a secret. Maybe then I'll believe you."

 

 

Author's Note:

Mm... Cliffhanger? :3

But yay, new chapter~ Whoo~ More are on the way! (: Hope you enjoy it.

~*Carissa*~