Chapter Twelve: Blaze

The Path Less Chosen

 

Chapter Twelve
 
Blaze
 
This chapter is a flashback.
 
Donghae glanced over to Eunhyuk, wondering what he was thinking as his eyes seemed distant and an odd smile twitched at his lips. The light that filtered through the small windows of the abandoned building they were staying in only cast a mere glow in the room. He could barely make out either of the older boys that sat near him. He shifted his weight, however it was uncomfortable on the cool, concrete floor. It was a blessing, however, as he had not expected to have ever been able to breathe in the air of the City. He and his hyung-nim had believed the anchovy’s ideas to
be insane, however, Eunhyuk deserved all of the credit for them getting so far.
 
“How did you come up with these ideas?” He had asked Eunhyuk before, having gotten out of the nurse-noona’s car, babying his newly wrapped ankle. It did not hurt him much anymore, however, he didn’t want to exert any further strain than he had to. The older of the two draped Donghae’s arm around his shoulder and the two of them inched along gradually. Leeteuk-hyung was busy with trying to find a decent place to stay in. The lower east side of the city had been unforgiving and dark from the first sight. When day came, Donghae didn’t think it would look much better in the day. Even somewhere as glamorous as the City had alleys and unpleasant – to say the least – areas, he supposed.
 
Eunhyuk had shrugged in return, “There wasn’t much to do in any kind of spare time. So… I came up with ideas to get the hell out of the Slums and rise as high as I could go.” Donghae frowned, remembering how his hyung had barely been able to move.
 
A gracious smile passed Eunhyuk’s lips, “If you and Leeteuk-hyung hadn’t found me – none of my ideas would be possible.”
 
After that, he had not elaborated much more and the oldest of the three had led them over to where they now were staying. Now, as he noticed Eunhyuk's occupied expression, he went over to him and sat next to his hyung.
 
"Hyukkie, what are you thinking?" He shattered the silence the three of them had built up, as Leeteuk simply slumped against the wall, seeming tired from the journey of the Gates to the City. It had not been a while since any of them had been in a car, and all still felt a bit sick a few hours afterward.
 
"Nothing important." Eunhyuk replied after a slight pause, coming back into reality and turning to the smaller boy next to him. He pursed his lips, "Perhaps I was thinking about how to get to Eden."
 
"Eden?"
 
"Yeah." Eunhyuk chuckled, before dismissing the idea with a wave of his hand. He brushed it off as a mere day dream, however the other two boys were curious. Up to then, all of Eunhyuk's plans had worked perfectly. He had a kind of knowledge the others didn't, having been immersed in the world of Chosen. "It's not important." He repeated.
 
"If you say so." Leeteuk shrugged, his tone passive. His eyes flicked over to Donghae as they shared a look and his hyung smirked briefly. Both knew that Eunhyuk would be upset from their disinterest and blurt everything out. Donghae counted off the seconds in his head.
 
Finally, the boy sighed. “Alright, I’ll tell you,” He said, Leeteuk and Donghae exchanging a discreet smile, “To get to Eden… We would need a Chosen – one that would be significant enough to be invited to Eden.” 
 
“Eunhyuk-ssi,” Leeteuk cut in, “What makes you think a Chosen would ever take one of us to Eden with them?” 
 
“That one nurse thought that we were Chosen. Maybe others would too?” 
 
The other two were wary. Donghae bit his lip lightly, having driven through the whole City, they had seen all that it had to offer. While they could possibly blend into the Chosen of the Gates, the ones that he had seen that crowded the streets were incredibly different. They dressed like something out of the magazines he had used to see. The three of them barely had the clothes they had taken from the Chosen back near the hospital – he wondered idly what had happened once they woke up – and that was it. Those that he had seen wore top of the line, designer kind of clothes. They could probably spot an imposter from miles away. 
 
Eunhyuk seemed to realize this. “It’s a long shot, but I think I know how we could do it.”
 
 
Author's Note:
 
Sorry it took so long to update. Since I'm back in school... It's harder to write as much as on break :P. I will try and update as frequent as I can. Hope you like the new chapter though~
 
~*Carissa*~