[Jonghyun] What we are all about

The Girl in the Rain

 

Weekend once again. We were told that the special episode of M! Countdown has been rescheduled and now is at an earlier date than expected. I think we were kind of confident that it was supposed to be a month away so there would be a lot of time to plan and practice.

“Come on guys, we’ve dealt with things like this before. Let’s not be rattled by a mere change in schedule!” Yonghwa hyung said, trying to boost our moods. True, we had similar events happening to us before when we were in Japan.

“Hyung is right. We’ve handled all kinds of problems before. Isn’t that why we are here now? We struggled but fought back, that’s why we’re CNBLUE,” I added. I felt pumped up for some reason.

One by one I could see the two younger ones’ faces brighten up. If their hyungs were sure they can get through, then they can be assured that they will.

“That’s the spirit! Now, let’s all prepare to go to practice, alright?” Yonghwa instructed. The both of us were already ready to go so we waited for Minhyuk and Jungshin to finish up.

“Hyung, I- I already wrote the song,” I said. It had taken me a few days to actually put the idea onto paper. I had to choose the right words so that she could understand and hear my message.

Yonghwa’s eyes widened and looked at me in amazement, “Wow. I thought you said you needed more time. So, you’ve finally found a muse, eh?”

“I had a little help.”

He simply gave me a questioning look as a reply and opened my guitar case. Inside was my favorite, the PRS Modern Eagle II. I’ve had it even before I was a trainee in FNC Music.

“I wonder why you always carry this around. Back and forth from our practice room to our dorm and even to the company. You know, you have other guitars or you could ask for the same model to keep at each place if you like it so much,” he exclaimed.

I smirked. Yonghwa was my best friend, but even he didn’t know the story of this guitar, or the old acoustic I keep in my room. Somehow I couldn’t throw it away even though it’s not even playable anymore. It felt like I was going to throw away memories, I was going to throw away a part of me.

I knew he was waiting for an answer but I just shook my head. And just as if on cue, Minhyuk and Jungshin came out of their room and we left for practice.

***

“First we have to think of the songs we are going to play on Countdown. Manager hyung said Mnet could give us at most 3 songs to play for that episode.”

We were gathered around our snack table in the practice room. Yonghwa was right, we had to know what we were going to play before we can start on anything first.

Minhyuk suggested, “Why don’t we play the first songs we wrote? Since it’s themed ‘beginnings’ and all.”

“Sounds pretty good. Mine and Jonghyun’s songs then. Uh, you want to play Sweet Holiday, Hyukkie?” Yonghwa agreed as he wrote down on a piece of paper.

“I think we should just go with your two songs since it will be unfair to Jungshin if we play Holiday too,” Minhyuk said as he looked at Jungshin. He was the only member in the group whose composition has not been officially released. We all knew that he was trying his best at learning composing and songwriting, though.

“I kind of like playing Sweet Holiday,” I said out loud. But then I remembered something, “Hyung, which song was the very first song you made?”

Yonghwa laughed and replied, “Actually, I’m not so sure myself. Let’s just go with Now or Never, though. I miss playing that.”

“Wait, hyung. You have an English and a Korean version for Now or Never. And Jonghyun hyung’s got Teardrops in the Rain and I Will Forget You. Which language will we use?” Jungshin pointed out.

Ow. That is a problem. You see, whenever Yonghwa and I write songs, we make two versions: English, which is meant to be released in Japan and Korean, for when we will get to make an album in Korea.

Then, Minhyuk came up with a brilliant idea, “Why don’t we play some verses in English and some verses in Korean?”

“Genius! Yes, we’ll do that,” Yonghwa stood up and ruffled Minhyuk’s hair to show that he was proud of him then he turned to me, “Jonghyun-ah, 1 hour to rewrite the lyrics. Araso?”

“What about us?” the other two asked.

“Go find something useful to do. Jungshin, I suggest you practice your bass. Minhyuk, go buy us snacks, you can buy whatever you want. Just remember to put them in the refrigerator when you get back,” our leader ordered.

OK. 1 hour to combine and rewrite the lyrics of I Will Forget You and Teardrops In The Rain. I can do this. I am not Burning for nothing.

***

Practice ended later than expected and I was tired and my fingers started to feel hot from nonstop strumming and plucking. I was munching on a sandwich when Yonghwa asked me, “Hey, Seohyun texted me. Can you go with me tomorrow?”

My eyes grew big, “Hyung, you shouldn’t be dragging me into your dates.”

“Babo, it’s not a date. She’s taking her unnies with her. They want to ask our opinion on something,” He looked at me with pleading eyes, “You know, those puppy-dog stares don’t work on guys much,” I replied as I turned my attention back to my sandwich.

“You know, right now SNSD is under Ichi’s care. Maybe they’ve met Yuki.”

Oh. He did not just play the Yuki card on me. I should say no, I should say no…

“Okay, I’ll come with you.” Damn. Stupid mouth, stupid brain.

***

The next day we were seated in a café with some of SNSD. Seohyun, Yoona, Hyoyeon, and Sooyoung.

“Dang, Hyun. You brought the fiercest of the bunch,” I heard Yonghwa mutter under his breath when we saw them go through the door. It couldn’t be that bad. At least Jessica’s not here, then the fierce bunch would be complete.

We all said our greetings and SNSD ordered their drinks. Uh-oh, they ordered something which meant this will be a long conversation…

I should make my move, “So, can we get over with it already?” I asked. I dunno why I was impatient. Perhaps I didn’t want to be seen in public with idol girls again. I really hate rumors.

And if by chance the rumors would get to Yuki… I should stop thinking about it.

“Well aren’t you feisty today, Jonghyun-sshi? Is there somewhere else you need to be?” Yoona replied. I knew there were rumors about the both of us, I read websites, I’m kind of relieved that they haven’t spread yet.

That’s because you’re not that important, I told myself. For once, my unpopularity with the media has saved me from an awkward position. I knew what happened to the men who were associated with Yoona. Good thing I have my black belts in Judo and Taekwondo… just in case.

“Not really,” I said and I decided to shut up so I just drank my coffee.

Yonghwa laughed “Sorry. We came home late last night and I dragged him out of his bed this morning so he could come with me here.”

“Were you practicing late at night?” Seohyun asked. Though I noticed her tone wasn’t concerned, but rather interested. I hope Hyung won’t misunderstand.

“Yes! We decided the songs we were gonna do and Minhyuk had this great idea so Jonghyun and I wrote lyrics for an hour and we…” Yonghwa said. I had to put my hand on his shoulder to stop him.

“Yah, you’re giving them our battle strategy, o charismatic leader,” I said.

The girls except Seohyun laughed. Hyoyeon cleared and said, “Yonghwa-sshi, you should keep those surprises for performance day,” she looked at the rest and they nodded as though they came to a silent agreement, “We’re going to perform with a band.”

“A band? You mean another girl group?” I was surprised. I thought we had to have our own separate stages.

Sooyoung shook her head and explained, “Nope. A band as in guitars and drums and all. We’ve found an indie girl band and we asked them to perform with us. Though their identities will be kept secret until performance day.”

“Just so you know, their band kind of reminded us of CNBLUE,” Seohyun added.

“I bet we’re better, though” I thought out loud. They all looked at me. Oops.

Yoona raised an eyebrow and replied “Is that a challenge, Burning?”

I tried to laugh it off but it didn’t work and so I said, “Whatever.”

The other girls seemed to feel the tension rising so Sooyoung broke the silence and told us what they really wanted from us, “Can you tell us what a rocker should look like?”

Huh?

“That is, regardless of gender, I suppose?” Hyung asked. Perhaps we were both getting the idea that they were working on their own concept and wardrobe.

The girls nodded and they were listening intently as Yonghwa hyung explained his “image” of a rocker. In my opinion, though, as long as you can speak and reach out to people through your music and you resonate an aura of power and confidence when you play, then you are a good musician or a “rocker”.

Their orders arrived as Yonghwa hyung wrapped up his rock speech and we moved on to other random things like M! Countdown and what other groups will be doing and who will have the best performance and silly idol stuff like that.

***

As we said goodbyes to each other outside the café, Yoona pulled me aside and talked to me, “Yah, Lee Jonghyun, you better play your best during Countdown.”

“And why should I do that, Yoona-sshi?”

“Because she will be watching,” she said and she walked back to her unnies, leaving me frozen in my tracks.



 

Yonghwa is such a puppy dog when it comes to Seohyun. Yongseo~♥

I wonder if I should put Yongseo in this story too, though that would mean more chapters....

Is it just me or are Yoona and Jonghyun kind of close in a formal way? Or maybe that their personalities are just clashing like that. Hmmmm....

Oh, and if you don't know about those YoonHyun/JongYoon pairings... well, Idk actually. I found out about it a long time ago. 

Has Yoona found out about Jonghyun's past? OOOOooooh~

I'm thinking of doing Yoona's POV in the next chapter, I hope I can. Until then...

Please comment AND/OR subscribe! 

The Mnet stage is fast approaching^^