Chapter 4

Bonded Heart

Glancing between the two, Misun wondered why they had such hostility toward each other. Stepping between them, she placed her hands upon their chests and pushed them apart causing them to shake out of their staring competition to see the woman who had their rapt attention. “I don’t know what’s gotten into the both of you, but quit it. I’m in no mood for your ,” she said glancing at each of them. Looking from Misun to each other, both men nodded in agreement before leaving the cabin and walking toward the middle of the training grounds. “Misun, I know you wouldn’t have wanted Boyeong to just be buried, so I prepared a funeral pyre fit for a king,” Hyeonsik stated and just hearing the child’s name, Misun flinched but relaxed when she felt a hand grasp her own. Looking from her hand up, she stared in wonder at Luhan wondering why he of all people could make her feel at ease with his touch and no one else’s.

Seeing the interaction, Hyeonsik felt the green eyed monster rear its ugly head up and snarl at the sight. Breathing deeply to calm himself, he led the others toward the middle of the camp where a large pyre lay and upon it was the small child dressed in the purest of white gowns and a floral crown upon her head. Just the sight alone caused Misun’s breath to hitch and tears fill her eyes. Without a doubt, she knew this was going to be extremely difficult. Glancing away, she noticed all of the children standing in a large circle of respect toward the child and showcasing their grievances. Some of the children that were closest to her came up to her and immediately threw their small arms around her in a hug, surprising her. Feeling her lower lip begin to tremble, she crouched and wrapped the children in her own hug in thanks. She now knew that these children also cared for her just like her little dove did. Coming to that conclusion surprised her, but a new thought filled her head. She would not let what happened to her daughter happen to the rest of these children. She was determined to put a stop to this evil no matter what it cost to her mind, body, and soul.

Letting go of the children, she rose to her feet and took a few shaky steps toward the pyre. Looking down, she felt a tear fall from one of her eyes landing on the child’s cheek. “Forgive me little dove. I wasn’t strong enough to protect you,” she whispered while caressing the cool flesh of Boyeong’s cheek. Leaning down she placed a gently kiss upon her brow as the scent of the flowers filtered through her nose. Stepping back, she raked her gaze over the child seeing that Hyeonsik had done a good job in giving her a proper burial. Feeling a sob rush up through , she placed a hand upon to smother it and turned away meeting Luhan’s gaze as he stepped closer and offered his hand toward her. Accepting his hand, she felt a slight tug before she was once again within his embrace as he escorted her to a safe distance from the pyre.

Raising her head away from Luhan’s chest, she felt her eyes harden in determination before glancing at Hyeonsik and nodding for him to go ahead and start. Stepping toward the pyre with several other older children, each held a lit torch and at the same time they lowered it toward the straw intertwined within the wood and soon a flame caught and began to smolder. Luhan watched Misun clench her fists before releasing them as several tears fell upon her cheeks and sliding toward her chin. Reaching toward her, he let his fingers caress against the soft skin beneath her eye catching the droplet against his finger. Meeting his gaze, she wondered not for the first time, what it was about this male that caused her to let her guard down and become vulnerable. As she wondered about it, she suddenly felt a warmth filling her and she shivered slightly at the feel. As she stood there, it felt like the warmth was turning into an inferno causing sweat to trickle down her brow.

Seeing her reaction, Luhan wondered why she suddenly looked like she had a fever as she turned to face the pyre. In surprise he tried to reach out to her as she suddenly began to walk toward the flames. Catching her hand, he moved to stand in front of her when he noticed that her eyes were slightly dulled as if she was in a trance. It couldn’t be, he wondered while looking around before catching sight of a different type of glow emanating from within the fire itself. While distracted with his thoughts, Misun had made her way around him and finally reached where the light was coming from. Not thinking, as well as ignoring the startled cries around her, she knelt before the fire and reached her hand into the fire. Surprisingly, she felt a ticklish sensation upon her hand as if the fire was caressing and teasing her instead of burning her alive. Moving her hand deeper, she felt something come into contact with her hand, which she soon had grasped tightly and pulled it out only to see another card.

With the card in her hand, she felt her senses return and she looked around before down at her hand realizing she held something. Seeing a second card, she felt her eyes widen in surprise wondering how it even got there in the first place. She soon felt a hand touch her shoulder causing her to jump in surprise which was a first. Normally she would always expect the unexpected so that nothing could catch her by surprise. I guess what with everything that had happened today, I’m not focused enough, she thought to herself. Glancing up, she saw Luhan beside her as he helped her to her feet and pulled her to a safe distance away from the fire. Coming to a stop he looked to her hands to see the card and felt himself freeze. There were only two of his brothers who could wield flame and knew that both had given up on meeting Misun ever again. He knew that whichever brother it was, the two of them were going to have some difficulty in getting that particular brother to trust again.

Watching Luhan having an internal conversation within himself just from the slight twitching of his facial expression, Misun looked down at the card before placing it within a pocket for safekeeping and when the time was right for her to release her new warrior. Seeing the card being put away, Luhan tilted his head in curiosity before hearing a softly murmured, “Later when it’s just the two of us,” from her that he nodded and they stood in the same spot watching as the embers ate at the wood and the smell of mesquite smoke filled the air. It wasn’t until hours later after there was only ash remaining did she move her stiff figure. Taking a step forward, she felt her body give out on her and collapse. However, the comforting warmth surrounded her as she felt her warriors’ arms easily capture her within his embrace and hold her against his firm chest.

Watching the interaction, Hyeonsik clenched his fist before releasing it and giving a sigh as he came to terms that this warrior would protect her better than he ever had. He soon knelt down to retrieve a small urn that could be filled with the ashes. Once the urn was filled, he knelt before Misun and met her sorrow filled gaze with his own. “I’ve placed Boyeong’s ashes in here for you Misun. What are you going to do now?” he asked while trembling hands reached out and grasped the urn. Thinking about it, she sighed. “Now that I have two cards, I have a feeling I might be sent to the university now or they may try and keep me here. Regardless, I need time before deciding on what I want to do with her ashes,” she replied softly and rose to her feet. Seeing her get up, the two males also rose as well looking slightly down at her since she was a little shorter than both of them. Hugging the urn close to her chest, she turned and stumbled toward her cabin. Hyeonsik tried to reach out for her but stopped when a grasp on his arm caught his attention instead.

“She needs time, please leave her be. I’ll be by her side and when she is ready we will inform you of her decision,” Luhan said softly before turning on his heel and following after the broken woman. The duo left Hyeonsik there, not even realizing that he too had broken down into tears before collapsing onto his own knees in grief. He knew without a doubt that she would be leaving. Not just this place, but him as well. Reaching her cabin, Luhan held the door open as he watched Misun enter and place urn upon the bedside table. Collapsing onto the bed, she her side atop the covers, not even bothering to wrap herself in them. Letting her be, he lay down upon the lone couch in the room covering his eyes with his arm as he thought about everything that had happened since being summoned by the woman.

This isn’t good. If she continues to mope, then my brothers will never come, he thought to himself before exhaustion hit him and the room turned silent except for two pairs of deep breaths indicating both were in a deep sleep. It wasn’t until hours later in the deep of night that a scream awoke the male as he scrambled into a sitting position and glanced all around before his eyes landed upon the female tossing and turning upon her bed. As another scream made its way past her lips and tears falling from the corners of her eyes, he jumped up to sit beside her only to hear her mumbles that sounded like she was pleading to someone. “Please, papa, don’t leave me. I’m sorry I wasn’t strong enough Boyeong,” she mumbled and Luhan felt his heart ache at the sight. It seemed like behind the tough exterior she would normally portray was a broken woman who had lost everything.

Lying down beside her, he wrapped his arms around her struggling form only to tighten his grasp and pull her flush against his body. As his scent caressed her, her body stopped struggling and her eyes fluttered before opening and looking into his own. “Lu…. Luhan?” she asked while gazing at him. With one of his hands, he reached down to move a stray strand of her hair away from her face and tucked it behind her ear. Both were lying on their sides facing one another and with his other hand he moved it in a soothing circle along her back causing shivers of delight and comfort to race up and down her spine. “You were having a nightmare. It’s ok, I’m here. I won’t leave,” he murmured softly while placing a chaste kiss upon the top of her head. Feeling a flush taint her cheeks, she mumbled a thanks while resting her head against his chest and wrapping her own arms around his waist.

Soon the duo was in a deep sleep once more but this time, no dreams plagued either of their minds. The next morning, Misun awoke with the rising of the sun and seeing as how she was still within her warriors embrace, she slowly moved out and made her way outside to get some fresh air. Leaning against the balustrade, she pulled out the new card from within her pocket and ran her finger down the face of it. As if sensing that whomever in this card was the same as Luhan, she wondered if she should bond now or wait. “Good morning,” a husky voice said from behind her. Looking over her shoulder, she noticed Luhan walking toward her while rubbing one of his eyes and his hair flying all over the place. Smiling softly, she reached up and ran her fingers through his hair and he looked at her in surprise before humming in content and closing his eyes while enjoying her fingers raking along his scalp.

Seeing his look, she coughed before turning away and resumed looking at the card in her hand. Stepping up beside her and leaning against the balustrade as well, Luhan looked at her hands to see the card as well. However, he recognized the face on the card so he knew that this brother would not be as troublesome as the other. Glancing up at him from the corner of her eye, Misun turned to look at him. “Is this card familiar to you?” she asked him and watched as he nodded in affirmation. “Yes, he is one of my brothers you could say,” he replied, watching her reaction. “I see,” she murmured. Just as she was about to say something else, he interrupted her chain of thought. “I don’t want to pressure you, but it might be a good idea to bond with him. I don’t want him to be taken from you,” he said while facing her.

Thinking about what he said, she knew within her heart that he was right. Now that she had two cards, she couldn’t afford to let either of them go. She had a feeling that something big was about to happen and she didn’t want anyone else dying on her behalf. She knew she needed to start the hunt to find the bastards who had killed her little dove. “You’re right,” she murmured as she slowly brought the card toward her lips and placing a delicate kiss upon it. A feeling of warmth surged through her as if a fire had been lit within and looking within, she could feel as if a red string had wrapped around her to bond just beside the purple strand connection her to Luhan. She didn’t know who this warrior would be, but she could sense that he was a comforting person and a part of her grew excited at the aspect of getting to know him as well.

Opening her eyes, she watched as smoke filtered away to reveal a tall male. Taller even than herself and Luhan, she looked up to meet the males gaze only to feel taken aback at the glare she suddenly received. Glancing at Luhan in surprise, she noticed a wince pass across his features before looking at the male before her. Raking her gaze over him, she noticed that his ears were a little more prominent and that his nose was scrunched slightly in the glare. “I don’t know who you are, but I will not have a master,” a deep voice rumbled from the new warrior which caused her eyes to widen slightly as the voice did not match the face. She didn’t know what to think at his statement, but she had a feeling, she had a long road ahead of her to gain this males trust.


Authors Note:

OMG! I cannot believe I have over 50 subscribers!!!!! *throws confetti in the air and does a happy dance* Y'all don't know how happy this made me!!! I am so thankful for each and every one of my subscribers, and readers! I've been having a tough two weeks with school with the multiple midterms exams I've had but this just truly made my heart soar seeing my subscribers count continue to rise!

I knew I was due to post a new chapter so I wanted to hurry and write something even though for the past two weeks I've had absolutely no time to do so. I hope everyone enjoys this chapter! Please continue to subscribe, up vote, and comment!!! I love reading everyone's comments as well! Y'all are AMAZING!!!!!!

XOXO

Zoe_Bug