Chapter 1

Bonded Heart

Years passed as Misun grew under the watchful eyes of the governments training camp, more like torture camp, she thought as she glared at one of the guards stationed around the facility. As she grew, she watched children being slaughtered left and right for horrible reasons. Whether they weren’t strong enough, or tried to escape. After watching her father murdered before her eyes, she became cold and refused to let anyone in. Even though her father had told her to never change, she had to in order to survive this torture encampment. Twirling a staff in her hand she felt the wind being forced apart behind her before she ducked down and swept her leg behind her sweeping the male off his feet. Standing back up to her full height she snarled at the idiot who thought he could outsmart her by attacking her from behind. “Try that again and you will never be able to reproduce,” she snapped as the staff in her hand landed inches away from his lower region and he paled considerably at her threat.

Shaking her head at the stupidity that surrounded her, she turned to storm back to her cabin. She had been at this camp longer than the required ten years. Instead she was now twenty-two and instead of leaving at the age of fifteen, she was forced to stay since she was an orphan because of the bastards who had killed her father in cold blood on her fifth birthday. Which is why she refused to celebrate it as it only brought painful memories. Over the years she watched the children turn into emotionless soldiers that were brainwashed to do the governments bidding. The perfect army, they called it. Each child by the age of eight had received their first card to begin training with their warrior. Each warrior’s power was bound by a specific element. Earth, Air, Fire, Water, and Spiritual powers resided within each card. As a card appeared before their ‘master’ as they were taught to be called, a simple kiss upon the card would create a bond between master and warrior that would only disintegrate if either the warrior or master died.

Thinking about cards caused Misun to snarl as she still did not have a card at her age, and yet she was kept around because she had excelled to be the best in each of the fields of strength that didn’t require a card. Sometimes she wondered if it was even meant to be and if she should just accept her fate and die like the rest of the rejects within this camp. Whenever she thought like this, her father’s words always appeared in her mind and managed to calm her down considerably.  Collapsing onto her cot, she rubbed her forehead in exhaustion before sitting back up. She had a class shortly that she had to go teach to the new recruits. Rubbing her aching head, she failed to notice a soft glow emitting from underneath her pillow. Stretching her arms above her, she strode out of the cabin leaving the light behind only for it to fade as if it had never been. 

Strolling into the arena, she watched as most of the new recruits stood around crying and calling out for their parents whom they wouldn’t see for years, and yet for some, they would never see them again. Feeling a migraine beginning to pound against her frontal lobe, she pinched the bridge of her nose huffing out a sigh of exasperation just as a hand landed on her shoulder. Stiffening only slightly she immediately relaxed as a familiar scent tickled her nose reminding her of the forest and the scent of pine and spruce intermingling together. “What is it Hyeonsik?” she murmured tiredly as she gazed up at the taller male. Comparing the two was like night and day. While on the outside Misun looked tough and mean, she was in fact very compassionate and kind following true to her father’s last words without the governments knowledge. However, Hyeonsik was the complete opposite. He appeared as the kind gentlemanly type when in fact he was a demon to those who opposed him. Which is why their partnership had proved to work so well.

“I see their lordships decided to assign you the task of babysitting,” he said sarcastically as he gazed at the woman beside him only to have a huge grin break out on his face from her responding snarl. “Oh don’t be such a prude Misunnie,” he said and daringly pinched her cheek only to run for his life as Misun made a move to stab him with the dagger she kept attached to her hip at all times. Glaring at the imbecile, she felt a flush taint her cheeks in annoyance. Hearing deep chuckles resonate from the other side of the arena, she shook her head in exasperation. A loud gong resonated throughout the arena not a moment longer causing all of the children to become quiet and stare wide eyed around them only to see the two adults standing on opposite sides from each other.

“Welcome to camp, children. For the next ten years, you will be living here and being taught how to wield and control your powers over the warriors within the cards. I’m Hyeonsik, and that over there is my beautiful partner Misun. We will be your instructors to help train you in mastering these skills. By the age of eight you will have received your first card and from there you will be taught how to control your master/warrior bond and form a partnership with them. Do not be fooled though, it is not easy to master. Look to us for guidance and we will lead you in the path of the chosen,” his voice resonated throughout the arena capturing the children’s attention. When mentioning Misun, he noticed that one of her fists had clenched and a vein begin to throb and he had to quickly smother the chuckle that was begging to come out. Without a doubt, he knew that as soon as the lesson had commenced he needed to run for it was only a matter of time before Misun would wrap her hands around his throat and strangle him. Well, not like it wasn’t the first time though. He just got a kick out of making her annoyed or angry. Her reactions were priceless even though it gave him bodily harm.

Hours later, the arena refilled with the sound of crying as the lesson ended. Just as Misun was going to step toward the imbecile, she watched him flee for his life laughing like a maniac to her amusement. Ruffling her hair, she turned away and nodded to the waiting guards who would then proceed to take the recruits, more like prisoners, away to their new quarters. Returning to her own cabin she stepped into her home only to have a small figure tackle her rubbing a tiny head against her toned stomach. “Mama!” a sweet voice called out as she looked down at the blonde headed six-year-old, she felt warmth fill her soul at the child who adopt her instead of the other way around. “What is it Boyeong?” she murmured softly as one of her hands came up and began to caress the child’s scalp and feeling the soft tresses tickle the calloused padding of her palm.

“Mama! I wanted to put a present under your pillow, but instead look!” she cried out as a card of about six inches in length and two inches in width appeared in the girls’ hands. Seeing it, Misun felt her heart skip a beat in surprise wondering how in the world a card appeared so early for the girl. However, before she could even say anything, the child immediately placed a sloppy kiss upon the card only for nothing to happen. From what the duo knew, is that whenever a master placed a kiss upon a warriors’ card, a bond would form and the warrior would appear. As they continued to wait, doubt began to fill Misun’s mind wondering if by chance the card already had a bond formed.

As she continued to wonder a soft laugh filled the air. “I shall not acknowledge a child as my master. You were not the one I am intended for, nor shall I appear before you. Return the card at once,” the voice called out causing her eyes to widen in surprise. Hearing this, tears began to fill Boyeong’s eyes as well that her bottom lip began to quiver is sadness. Kneeling down, Misun placed her palms against both of the child’s cheeks before placing a tender kiss upon her brow causing the girl to let out an innocent giggle at the feeling. “Do not be upset, little dove,” she murmured using the pet name her father had once called her. “Your first card doesn’t appear until you are at the age of eight and you have just turned six. In time you will get your card. In the meantime, where did you get that card?” she asked gently to soothe the girl.

“I found it underneath your pillow,” she said pointing to the small cot lying against the far wall. Hearing this, her head tilted slightly in confusion wondering why it would be there before a thought crossed her mind having her freeze in place and her heart skip a beat. There’s no way, she wondered looking down at the card in shock. “If it’s not mine, then maybe it’s yours Mama!” the little girl then became quite excited at the prospect of her adopted mother finally owning a card of her own after all of these years. “It’s not possible,” Misun muttered in shock. Surprised at the answer, Boyeong was about to ask why, when Misun continued. “Even if the card did in fact belong to me, it’s too late. To be specific, fifteen years too late,” her voice left off in a broken whisper as multiple emotions became rampant within her.

Taking a deep breath, she plucked the card from the girl’s hand and placed it within one of her pockets for safe keeping. Just from touching it though, she felt a feeling of warmth and tenderness fill her which only caused her to become fearful that the truth was just in front of her eyes. Shaking her head in fear she placed her hands upon Boyeong’s shoulder and began to maneuver the child out of her cabin. “Come, let’s go grab some supper,” she said tenderly while trying to shake the emotions away and resume her emotionless mask.


In a dark room filled with crystal balls, a male with soft honey brown tresses felt his heart skip a beat and sadness fill him. He understood why his master would feel that way but knew that he would have to try and change her perception of him as well as his numerous brothers that she would soon meet. “No matter what, I will make sure you understand why we were kept from you. We’ve wanted to meet you for such a long time, that some of us have given up after waiting for so long. Please help us,” he whispered softly. As he did, his last words seemed to caress Misun’s ears as she looked around her wondering who had called out for help. A shiver ran down her spine before shaking it off and moving with Boyeong to the mess hall.


Authors Note:

Hello everyone!!! I hope everyone enjoys the first chapter of Bonded Heart! This story is going to be dark a lot of times, but will gradually become lighter as time goes by. Please do let me know what you think so far!! Comments and Subscriptions are always welcome and truly apprectiated! As a writer I always enjoy reading comments because it makes me feel good and want to continue to write. Again, thank you so much!!

I wonder who that male is in the room. Hmmmmmm..... Put your guesses down below! :D

XOXO

Zoe_Bug