Chapter Six

L'etoile (hiatus)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter Six

song: 我真的受傷了

 


Before the sun had properly awoken from its slumber, Maria was already awake.

She could hardly sleep the night before – not when she could hear the faint sniffles of the girl next door. Not when travelling in light whispers from the other room was the movie “Autumn Leaves” being replayed over and over again, so much that memories she had almost forgotten begun to replay itself along with the sound of the movie.

Taking a deep breath, Maria stepped outside of her room and walked towards the wall-sized window, her arms wrapped around her waist. The hidden white linings within her dyed maroon hair gave off her age, and the distant glaze in her expression showed off the many memories that haunted her mind.

Especially the memory of Na Jieun.

A small smile crossed Maria’s tight lips when the image of the actress appeared in her reminiscence. How long had it been since she’s thought about that phenomenon of an actress? That radiating, shining lady who was able to enrapture any soul with just one look from her eyes; how was it possible that such a brilliant actress gave birth to such an unconfident, scared little girl?

Exhaling a sigh, Maria casted her glance over to the script which sat on the table adjacent, and she picked it up with her long fingers. Flipping through the pages of the script absent-mindedly, Maria’s brain turned in thoughts.

Autumn Leaves; a bittersweet tale reminiscent of the yearnings and innocence in romance back in the days where technology was not yet advanced. They were days where love letters were sent with bashful blushes, and roses were received with heart-throbbing giggles; but they were also days of long yearnings and tears, days of endless patience and faithful awaiting.

The script by itself was already heart-wrenching enough, but what really brought tears to the audience’s eyes was the main actress’ rendition of the character. The quiet innocence of the main character was defined to its perfection by each soft flicker of the actress’s eyelashes; each shy gaze and each subtle movement. Yet at the same time, each heartbreaking scene was only intensified by the very same actress – with each muffled cry and longing-filled eyes, the actress managed to represent the passion that was hidden beneath the character’s delicate mask.

That very actress, was none other than Na Jieun.

Maria could still remember clearly, that day on set when she witnessed Na Jieun’s powerful acting. It left her shell-shocked, bounded, and almost into Jieun’s character. Even though many years had passed, but every time she thought back to the actress, she would still be awed by her brilliant acting. Maria had never seen a better actress than Na Jieun, and neither had she witnessed a more ground-breaking act from anyone else.  

Na Jieun was this much of a superb actress.

So going back to the question: Just how was it possible that such a brilliant actress gave birth to such an unconfident, scared little girl?

 

 

 

 

Haneul woke up to the sound of talking. Still drowsy, she remained still on the bed and listened to the incoherent mumblings from the other side of the door; they were soft, but even so Haneul could hear that it was a light argument.

Forcing herself off bed, she slowly opened the door and stepped out of her room. Sitting in the living room was Maria and Jongin, engaged in a heated discussion. Both sat on the edges of their chair, faces pulled down in frowns and hands moving about in angry gestures.

“She was crying the whole night! Are you telling me that someone who couldn’t even take a little criticism is suited for the harsher life in the entertainment industry?”

“You need to give her some time, Maria. You haven’t even seen her act yet, so how are you so sure she can’t-“

“-Jongin. No, I mean, Mister CEO, have you seen her act before then? Why are you so rash to waste this much money and resources on her? Does President Lee even know about this?”

Silence came from Jongin’s side, and he let out an irritated sigh and glanced sideways, his eyes stopping abruptly on Haneul. Jumping up on the couch, Jongin almost looked guilty as he quickly stepped towards the quiet girl.

“H-hey, you’re awake?”

Haneul gave Jongin, and Maria a bow. “Good morning.”

An awkward pause entered between the trio, neither of them knowing what to say.

“You…did you overhear our conversation?” Jongin finally spoke, breaking the silence that was almost getting unbearable.

Haneul remained silent.

“She heard,” Rolling her eyes, Maria let out a scoff, “But that’s better anyway. Hey, do you really want to be here?”

Despite Maria’s scathing attitude, she asked a very good question. And the question seeped straight into Haneul’s heart.

“Do I…want to be here?”

Blinking slowly, Haneul found herself looking up at Jongin instinctively, who glanced back at her with hopeful, believing eyes. Haneul wasn’t sure whether she wanted to be here, but she was sure that she didn’t want to disappoint the man before her. Especially not when he trusted her so much…even if the two of them were basically strangers.

So turning her eyes back to Maria, Haneul nodded her head.

Maria smiled. “Good.”

Standing up from her seat, she strode over to Haneul and shoved a script into her hand.

“Next week same time, act out this script for me.”

“Maria! What are you doing-“

“-This is an audition, obviously,” Turning a sharp glance to Jongin, Maria stood

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter