Chapter Two

L'etoile (hiatus)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


Chapter Two

song: 未来へ

 

Though those last words Baekhyun said to her hurt her quite deeply, but at least he kept his word. Sure enough, what once was a rapidly spreading rumour suddenly died down, and thankfully before it travelled to her grandfather’s ears. Somehow, Baekhyun just had a power like that, one where he could even stop rumours from spreading in such a gossip-thriving place. Maybe it was because he was basically the prided idol of the town, or perhaps it was because of his wealthy family background; no one wanted to get on his bad side.

And like that, time passed along. Haneul once again became the invisible girl; one that sits quietly to herself in the corner of the class, minding her own business. Occasionally, her eyes would unintentionally flicker over to where Baekhyun sat, and they would stop upon his back. And until the bell rang, those eyes never left the boy, captivated by his radiating aura.

Haneul could not describe what she felt for Baekhyun, or why she felt that way for him. She couldn’t understand the ache in her heart whenever she glanced at him; it hurted her, yet she could not tear her eyes away.

Was that, what they call love?

But, wasn’t love meant to be sweet, shouldn’t it taste like honey? Then, what was the bitter longing in Haneul’s heart meant to be?

Jealously, admiration, desire? Perhaps she desired to become someone as great as Baekhyun-

No. No, no. Haneul knew it more than anyone else, that she could not be great one day. So how could she dare to even imagine the possibility?

One month passed, two months passed…the auburn leaves on the floor had shrivelled, giving wake to the falling snow of winter, as well as the long-anticipated winter vacation for the students in Jinsari. It was a week before winter vacation started, and as the holiday mood was already brewing up in the classrooms and the students were getting more and more restless, the teacher gave up and left them to do some “self-studying” for the last hour of class.

Of course, no one studied. Instead, they all crowded around Baekhyun’s table, eyes wide and excited to hear about where Baekhyun would be going this winter holidays. Haneul, on the other hand, had her textbook out on her desk and was studying quietly to herself.

“Baekhyun oppa,” a slim girl with bright eyes leaned towards Baekhyun admiringly. “Are you really going for an audition at Star entertainment in Seoul? That famous entertainment agency which produced so many famous people?”

Baekhyun glanced at the girl, his eyes unmoving, “Why, you think I’m not?”

“No! That’s not it…” she seemed a little scared at his unwelcoming attitude, but nevertheless she still spoke up bravely, “But that means you’re going to leave us, right? I’m happy for you that you’re auditioning, but…I don’t want you to leave.”

Murmurs of agreement aroused between the classmates, dampening the excitement of knowing that Baekhyun was going to be famous soon. If Baekhyun leaves, then that means the only shining star produced from this dull, eventless town of Jinsari would be taken from them. Everyone would go back to their boring lives every day without the radiating presence of Baekhyun to brighten their day.

And though everyone knew that Baekhyun would leave one day, but no one was willing to let him go; and from the slight frown on Baekhyun’s face, he knew very well what they were thinking – and was not too happy with their thoughts.

His eyes narrowing slightly, Baekhyun let out a sigh and glanced away from the crowd of classmates clustering around his desk, and his attention stopped upon the quiet girl studying in the corner of the classroom. Coincidentally, she lifted her eyes at that exact moment, meeting his wandering gaze.

Pausing a little as he stared into her fluttering amber eyes, a strong sense of spite suddenly filled his whole entire being. It was exactly because of people like her that held him back – people who think they have a right to even stand on equal grounds on him and try to barge into his life and change the decisions that he had made for himself.

Everyone in this rotting, hopeless town was the same. His parents seemed to think that they had power to dictate his life, his neighbours always expect him to act a certain way and his classmates look up at him like he’s some sort of shining star.

Of course, Byun Baekhyun was a shining star, but not one to be placed in a museum and to be admired at. No, he was going to become a shining star flying freely in the sky and radiating so much light that no one could ever possibly compare to him.

That’s the sort of star that he would become, and the people in this town was just pulling at his feet, dragging him down. They were just obstacles in front of his feet, desperately trying to tie him down for their own selfish reasons.

Everyone in this town was the same. But, above everyone else, he disliked Go Hanuel just a little bit more. Perhaps it was because she was the first one to dare confess to him ever after his “prince” status solidified, or perhaps it was just because he just hated that self-pitying atmosphere she carried with her. Therefore, with his eyes still fixated on hers, Baekhyun found himself pulling his lips upwards into a contemptuous sneer.

“I will leave, no matter what.” By now, people had caught onto the fact that Baekhyun was staring at Haneul, and had turned their hands to look at the lone girl sitting by herself in the corner. “I am sick of being in the same place as stupid, useless people.”

Baekhyun didn’t have to say her name for the crowd to know who he was talking about. Her face burning up, Haneul’s eyes flickered before darting them back down to her textbook. Though some widened their eyes in pity for her, but most took the opportunity to snicker, unjustified hatred for the girl plastered across their faces.

“Yeah,” a girl chipped in, “I am sick of being in the same place as a certain useless person as well.”

Another round of snickers, and Hanuel lowered her head even further, so much she was practically drowning in her textbook. As much as she was afraid and hurt, a small coil of anger began burning in her heart.

What did she do that was so wrong to deserve this? So what if Baekhyun was the star of the town, does that give him a privilege to step all over her? Does that give her classmates a legitimate reason to mock her, and treat her like garbage?

As the mocking continued, and their cold stares continuing to burn through her skin, something snapped inside of Haneul. Perhaps it was because she really was angry, or perhaps the emotions she had suppressed for long in her heart could no longer suppress itself, but before she could stop herself, words were already spewing out of her lips.

“If you hate this useless town and useless people like me so much,” Haneul spoke quietly, yet ire pressed through, “then go ahead and leave.”

The laughter ceased, and Baekhyun’s eyes turned even colder than before. As silence consumed the entire class, it allowed just enough space for Haneul’s final words to echo around the wooden classroom.

“Leave, and never come back.”

 

 

 

 

Byun Baekhyun really didn’t come back.

Well, he did for a brief few days to pack up his things in a big, silver luggage. Though he didn’t say anything, but from the excited gleam in his eyes, everyone knew that he had passed the audit

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter