Freshmen!

Not Alone

“Sssh, it’s him!”

 

“Leave him alone, he is weird.”

 

“No wonder he doesn’t have any friends.”

 

Those words keep popping out while someone who is so tall is walking through the corridor, it makes him remember the old days when he was at his hometown. He shakes his head, blinks his eyes several times to clear his mind. Now he is here, far away from his hometown—from his dark history. That someone is Kim Mingyu, he has been here, in America for three days. And during that period, he already got some friends—which is a very really great progress of him.

 

Mingyu thought that America is really cool, he really wants to get along with people that use English as their mother language. But his English is still not that good, so he decided to make friends with the student who came from South Korea—Mingyu’s hometown—at the university that Mingyu choose to spend his four years to study—not only to study, but also to make a lot of friend. He would make everyone in the university as his friend if it was possible.

 

That Kim boy is now heading to his new friends, he met them in the moving in day. Mingyu has to stay in the university dorm for one year, after that, he is free to live outside the university. The obligation is not only for the foreign student, all freshmen must live in the dormitory. It has certain purposes, one of them is to improve the student’s communication skill. And also, live in the dormitory area will test their capable to live without their parents.

 

“Is your five minutes different than our five minutes, Kim Mingyu?”

 

That’s what he got when he arrived at the meeting spot. No, it’s not a formal meeting, it’s just some random freshmen from South Korea that have nothing to do but sleep at their dorm—that’s why the meeting is held.

 

“Sorry, I was so amazed by the view while walking here,” Mingyu replied after he sat next to a guy which has face younger than his age. Mingyu got a weird gaze after saying that, and the other guy is replying, “Really bro? I wish I was in Seoul and eating tteokbokki now.”  

 

“Well said, Jihoon. I really miss Korea, there is nothing like tteokbokki here.” The other guy responds to someone called Jihoon’s statement. Mingyu just smiles a little bit, doesn’t say a thing because another guy took his chance to speak. “What the hell, guys, it’s only been three days and you already got home sick?”

 

“..said the one who cried in the room for a night yesterday.” And finally, the last person there is up for an unimportant debate. “Shut up, Minghao!”

 

So there are five boys including Mingyu. Jihoon and Seokmin that miss their hometown—or maybe they only miss tteokbokki. Soonyoung who pretends to be strong, but actually he is exactly the same as Jihoon and Seokmin. He freaking miss Korea. And the rarely talk guy—and very sarcastic, Minghao.

 

“Then I am the one who doesn’t miss my hometown here?” Mingyu speaks proudly, he feels like he is the coolest guys in the world now. “ you, you will freaking miss South freaking Korea, bro.” Said the other four boys.

 

“Yeah, I’ll see.” Mingyu response was so dry, because in the reality he is really happy with the situation now. He doesn’t miss his hometown, even if he got hundred tickets to South Korea, he would refuse that and stay here.

 

“Anyway, have you guys seen the announcement board? I got a class with no Korean student, !” Seokmin said out of blue, everyone can feel the stressness in his intonation.

 

Oh, .’ Mingyu almost forget that tomorrow is the first matriculation day. The matriculation is only for a month, and there will be student from various major and also various country.

 

“You’re lucky, then. I got one Korean but he is Kwon Soonyoung. Do you want to change class, maybe?” Jihoon replied and got a death glare from Soonyoung. “You really are an evil, Lee Jihoon. The truth is you really are thankful that we’re gonna be in the same class, right?” Soonyoung said with full confidence, but that was the truth.

 

“Hm, I think I got one Korean, but I don’t know him yet.” Minghao is always the last person to speak. “How about you, Mingyu?”

 

Mingyu shakes his head instead of saying something. “I think I will go to see it now. Bye, see you on the first day of matriculation.”

 

And then Kim Mingyu is arrived to his destination, the announcement board. He is searching for his name, and after some times, he found it. And he also saw one name that caught his attention, he sighs a relieve because he got someone who came from the same country—even if he doesn’t like his hometown.

 

“Jeon Wonwoo—”

 

“—Haven’t heard that name before. Well, I will see him tomorrow.”