Beginnings

Obsession

--Present day

July 2, 2016

 

Nayoung's kisses on her neck were more rough than usual and the hand moving down her body came without warning. A moan leaves her lips feeling the slender digits pressing down against the most intimate part of her body. She's about to bring her lover in for a steamy kiss until her alarm goes off. She groggily presses the snooze button on her phone and sits up flushed from the dream.

 

“She doesn't even know you exist, idiot...” Kyulkyung mumbles to herself as her eyes focuses on the walls of her bedroom which were decorated with various posters of Im Nayoung. A smile graces her lips upon seeing that perfect face. She almost feels like she needs more posters after that dream. She was irrevocably in love with her after all. In love with someone who had no idea who she was. That didn't stop her feelings however. Kyulkyung gets out of bed and starts to get ready for her waitress gig. She hesitates to proceed after making eye contact with her very first Nayoung poster on her closet. She ponders for a moment on how this obsession began and it all comes flowing back to her.

 

~~

 

---Past

October 22, 2015

 

The big dance competition was coming up and everyone was wracked with nerves. There would be scouts there which meant opportunities to get into big agencies. Kyulkyung was all about pushing her body to the absolute limits to obtain perfect in her routines. She was in charge of the group's choreography this time for their performance. Everyone at the dance school was widely impressed with it and she couldn't wait to show it off to the professional judges. They were to do an interpretative dance routine to an uncommon song for more of a wow factor.

 

Everything seemed to be going great for Kyulkyung. She had her best friends with her at the dance school. She had immigrated from China to Korea just to attend. Her Korean was coming along swimmingly and she felt like she was at the top of the world. However, as they say all good things must come to an end. That was the last thought in her head when she missed her leap and landed on one of her knees. The loud crack that followed had the entire room go silent and the ghostly stares that burned into her skin let her know her dream was over.

 

“Are you okay?!” Her best friend Minkyung asked. She was the first to run over while everyone else gaped in shock. Kyulkyung tried to move out of the position she landed in, but only yelped loudly in pain. The rest of the students gathered around her to try and help.

 

“I think it's broken..nghn...I can't move..” She muttered helplessly. That was all she remembered. Minkyung had told her that she passed out after.

 

--Surgery

October 23, 2015

 

Kyulkyung woke up the next day in a hospital bed with a large cast over her leg. She couldn't move it, but the nurses insisted she would be kept comfortable with pain medication. She was going to need to stay for six weeks just to be sure she would heal properly. The dance competition was out of sight now. Her depression really hit her when they mentioned she probably wouldn't be able to dance again.

 

--Hospital stay

October 30, 2015

 

She spent most of her time sleeping because of her depression and didn't want to do much else. Her friends from the dance school visited often which was nice. She enjoyed having all sorts of flowers and teddy bears by her bed. Her friends often told the nurses how happy of a person she was before and they grew concerned. She was moved to a different room at their request, one with a tv. The tv had only one channel though but Kyulkyung was satisfied. By the time she was able to watch however, it was night time. She fell asleep to the weather report.

 

--Discovering you

October 31, 2015

 

When she awoke the next day, the news wasn't playing but a daily tv show. It had just started. The host went on to explain they were bringing someone new on to the show to host and experience things with them. A very popular artist and celebrity: Im Nayoung. Kyulkyung had seen a handful of Korean dramas, but was never really into researching the country's celebrities. She was curious on why this girl was so popular. She was quite beautiful with her dark brown hair, tan skin, and long limbs.

 

--Nayoung

November 6, 2015

 

For the next week she spent all of her time watching Nayoung's show. She was pretty sure she had fallen in love with this girl. She had a nickname 'Stone Nayoung' because she was bad at showing expressions, but when she smiled everyone did too. Kyulkyung had learned Nayoung was a famous singer and dancer. She too made her own choreography which appealed to her greatly. Nayoung also produced her own music and lyrics. She volunteered at charities, gave to the homeless, helped shelter animals get better homes, visited sick children, she was absolutely perfect. She also learned Nayoung had an angel wing tattooed on her collar bone and once had a lip ring.

 

The next time that Minkyung visited, she begged her to get her all of Nayoung's albums. Minkyung was happy to oblige at the time because it was nice seeing her friend happy for once.

 

--More

November 13, 2015

 

Kyulkyung had convinced her parents to send her a laptop from China. She had Minkyung deliver to the hospital for her. When she wasn't watching Nayoung on the tv, she was on her laptop. She joined a fan forum and delved deeper into her love for the singer. She learned obscure facts about her, like how Nayoung loved sleep, or how she resembled a sloth. She even learned that many fans had a crush on Nayoung's manager, Jung Eunwoo. Who was affectionately called 'dog manager' by fans because she resembled a Shiba Inu.

 

She swooned when she found out Nayoung had gotten another tattoo, this time on her wrist of her Zodiac sign Sagittarius. She looked into this and realized they shared the same sign. Their birthday were only two days apart as well. She began thinking more and more, they would be a perfect couple.

 

 

--Bad news

November 20, 2015

 

Kyulkyung had grown terribly depressed that day. The media released Nayoung's dating rumors. They were with some popular rapper named Seungcheol. Her heart felt broken. All of her friend's on the Nayoung forums were just as upset. She didn't eat anything or even watch the tv that day. When Minkyung found out why she was upset, she could not take her seriously.

 

She felt a bit better when the rumors were denied by both agencies later that night. She was so jealous of him though and she didn't understand why. She was just a fan.

 

--Christmas special

December 20, 2015

 

Kyulkyung had been discharged for the hospital and was walking again on crutches. Minkyung decided they should be room mates so she could take care of her further. Before the accident, Kyulkyung lived at a dorm on the school campus. She obviously wasn't going back there any time soon. Her parents wanted her to return to China, but Kyulkyung did not want to. She wanted to be able to watch Nayoung all day still. They would send her money for rent for the time being.

 

“Hey aren't you going to watch your girlfriend on tv?” Minkyung teased as she prepared their snacks for the evening. Kyulkyung had been ranting and raving about watch the MBC Gayo for about two weeks. She heard that Nayoung would have a special performance and she wouldn't miss it for the world.

 

“I'm just waiting for the commercials to end!” Kyulkyung wobbled over to the couch and switched their tv on. Minkyung settled beside her and they sat through various performances of random celebrities. Minkyung fangirled a few time over some boy idol groups and ballad singers. Kyulkyung would nod along in appreciation while fidgeting in place for Nayoung to appear.

 

“Im Nayoung special stage!” The announcer said loudly and a scream came from Kyulkyung's mouth. Minkyung had to cover her ears because they weren't stopping. Nayoung was dressed in a button down white shirt with jeans and black leather boots. Her shirt was opened to show off her collar bone tattoo and when it zoomed on her face, the screaming had gotten worse. Her lip was pierced again and Kyulkyung yelled about how hot she was. She had an acoustic guitar and began playing it while singing a generic Christmas song.

 

“I have to admit she is very talented.” Minkyung managed to say in between her friend's constant shouting.

 

“OF COURSE SHE IS!” Minkyung couldn't hold back a laugh when Kyulkyung had gotten off the couch to hug the tv. She was a strange one.

 

They had made it through the performance with Minkyung's hearing still in tact. The next stages went by without much of a peep from both of them.

 

“Im Nayoung and Seungcheol special stage!” The announcer said randomly and Kyulkyung's face went totally red which earned more laughter from Minkyung. She secretly enjoyed watching her friend get so angry over a possibly fake celebrity couple.

 

“WHAT!?” Kyulkyung threw a pillow on the ground and pouted when the two came on stage together. Nayoung had changed into a sweater with a red scarf while Seungcheol was pretty much wearing the same thing. The two held hands and sang a powerful ballad together while maintaining eye contact. Kyulkyung was totally sullen and no longer screaming. That was until the camera zoomed in on just Nayoung's face.

 

“I love you.” She sang which had Kyulkyung all excited again much to Minkyung's somewhat relief.

 

“I want that as my ring tone!!!” The girl wiggled in place happily.

 

--Moving forward

February 12, 2016

 

Kyulkyung had regained the ability to walk again and was back to being a bouncy girl. She had increased her hyperness to a new level after Nayoung said her ideal type was a beagle personality in a magazine interview. Minkyung suggested she start out small until she was in better condition to start dancing again.

 

She ended up working in a restaurant that served rich clientele. The pay was good enough to be able to pay half the rent to Minkyung and buy lots of Nayoung merchandise with the left over money. She was content.

 

----Present day

July 2, 2016

 

“Have a good day at work. Don't forget tomorrow we have an interview for you to go into that new dance academy!” Minkyung said with a grin and handed her a brown bag which was to be her lunch.

 

“Don't worry I'm not going to forget. Thank you for lunch!” She gave her roommate a squeeze and took the bag before heading out the door. She was so excited because this week had been great. Nayoung had released a new album with a y concept and the past month she was finally able to start dancing again. Her knee still bothered her quite often, but she determined not to give up on her original dream.

 

She arrived to a very busy shift at work and made sure to straighten out her uniform to perfection. She hoped her boss wouldn't scold her for dying her hair red (Nayoung said she liked red heads) and getting a tattoo of her own. She tucked her hair behind her right ear to get a glimpse at the Sagittarius tattoo there. She was filled with butterflies momentarily knowing she had the same tattoo as her idol. She exited the bathroom and was handed menus by the hostess.

 

“You're starting off with that table.” Kyulkyung's eyes wandered over and saw the table had Nayoung along with her manager Eunwoo there. She gasped audibly, but regained her composure when her coworker gave her a strange look. She nervously made her way over to the table to see the two look up at her.

 

Her heart stopped when her gaze met Nayoung's. She was wearing contacts today that made her eyes appear silver and her hair was now a beautiful blonde for her come back. She was unbelievably more y in person. Eunwoo's eyes curled into her trade mark eye smile that she had seen in so many press photos and she couldn't breathe for a moment. She remembered she was at work and had a job to do.

“....H-hi. I'm Kyulkyung and I'll be your waitress today at The Vernacular.” She bowed to them deeply and tried to avoid staring at Nayoung who remained quiet. She had her famous stone expression which only made Kyulkyung's heart beat faster.

 

“Cool! So like do you have some alcohol? I think my buddy here needs to relieve some stress.” Eunwoo slung an arm around Nayoung's shoulder who looked slightly annoyed by the comment and pulled away from the skinship.

 

“That won't be necessary. I think I'd like to drink some-” She peered down at the menu and searched for something, but Kyulkyung was pretty sure she already knew.

 

“Green tea?” She chimed in which had Nayoung looking shocked while Eunwoo was totally amused. She definitely just exposed herself as a hardcore fan. She however deemed it casual knowledge that green tea was Nayoung's favorite drink.

 

“How did you know?” Her voice was soft, charming, and polite. Kyulkyung could feel her cheeks burning just from listening to her speak. She was everything like she was on tv and not fake at all.

 

“I'm a huge fan of yours!” She admitted with a huge smile and was ready to faint when she saw a small smile pulling on Nayoung's lips. Im Nayoung was smiling at her. Her.

 

“Really? That makes me happy. Thank you for enjoying my work.” Nayoung despite sitting, gave a bow of appreciation towards Kyulkyung. She took out a marker from her pocket and scribbled her signature on a napkin for her fan. Kyulkyung took it with a tiny squeal and profusely thanked her.

 

“Wow, you guys would make a nice couple. Why don't you date her Nayoung?” Eunwoo teased which had Nayoung's beautiful smile turn into an abrupt scowl. She looked very offended which startled Kyulkyung a bit. She didn't say anything after which made things awkward. Kyulkyung took their order and dashed off to the kitchen to tell the chef.

 

“Why do you always reject people who really like you? Seungcheol would have married you. You're too afraid of letting people know that you're not perfect.” Eunwoo scolded which only had Nayoung looking more solemn.

 

“They wouldn't like me anymore if they found out.” She murmurs quietly just loud enough for her manager to hear who scoffs in response. They sit in silence until Kyulkyung returns with their drinks. Nayoung dismisses herself to the bathroom right after. Kyulkyung frowns at the turn of events until Eunwoo chats her up.

 

“You're quite cute and totally my type. Would you like to go clubbing with us this evening miss Kyulkyung?” Eunwoo's question has her heart stopping. Clubbing with Nayoung? All she can imagine is grinding up against her and then...

 

“Of course!” She doesn't hesitate to answer and Eunwoo slips her a business card with the address of where they usually go to party at. Nayoung appears moments later, rubbing under her nose. Her eyes look slightly different and she seems more alive than previously.

 

“You're really doing a great job in serving us.” Nayoung says as she sits down. Her voice is suave and seductive somehow. Her personality seems slightly different than before and Eunwoo looks a bit miffed now. Kyulkyung can't place what has changed but her face is burning red. Im Nayoung just complimented her.

 

----The Club

July 2, 2016

 

The bass of the electronic is so powerful she can feel it bouncing off of her chest as she enters the club. The lights are going in every which direction. She can see Eunwoo in the distance waving towards her and Nayoung sitting on a bar stool having a drink. This is real.

 

 

-----Next chapter preview-----

 

Nayoung makes a sharp turn into the bathroom. A bunch of people are in there getting high or making out with each other. She can hear someone throwing up in a stall. Nayoung forces herself into an empty one but Kyulkyung manages to squeeze in there with her. Nayoung looks paranoid and infinitely annoyed but she isn't letting this chance go.

 

“Stop running away from me. I want to get close to you. I like you.” She grabs on to the celebrity's wrist who pulls away not wanting to meet her gaze.

 

“You don't even know me.” Nayoung says back defensively. She seems a little scared and moves to the best of her ability away from Kyulkyung.

 

“Then let me know you..” She takes a step forward and holds on to a bit of Nayoung's shirt who meets her gaze this time. The eye contact has her heart racing and she doesn't want this moment to end.

 

“What I do next will break your image of me forever.” Nayoung replies without breaking their gaze and reaches for something in her pocket.